Final Fantasy I-VI Pixel Remaster Series

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
FF5 is definitely the longest out of all of them. I passed my FF3 time a bit ago and I still have the final area and a bunch of trophies to finish. No way I'll be getting level 99 in this one either 'cause I'm like level 43 and getting ready for the endgame.

I seemed to get the "all items" trophy early, cause I definitely didn't get all the items. Like I can see missing items on the map. So I think the item trophy pops a couple items early, maybe to give people a little bit of a break given how much is missable.

The thing that's annoying about FF5 is probably that the enemies use a LOT of status effects compared to earlier games. Been constantly curing something or other all game.

The blue magics are sometimes pretty annoying yeah. The worst so far was Mighty Guard. Have to find a Stingray that spawns in one specific area (the lake, just south of the Phoenix Tower in world 3). It's a rare spawn, and when you finally do get it to spawn you have to Control it and get it to cast MG on the party. Then you realize you forgot to equip anyone with Learn and have to do it again (this didn't happen to me but I could easily see it happening). There are a few things like that.

At least Mighty Guard is super-OP. Actually Blue Mages in general are super-OP. Still in the endgame I end up going with Freelancers/Mimes and using Rapid Fire / Dualcast respectively. Freelancer functions as FF5's Ninja and Mime functions as FF5's Sage, if we're comparing this to FF3 which also had two super-classes at the end. So typically I'll have 3x Freelancers using Rapid Fire + Two-Handed, and 1x Mime using Dualcast + Time Magic + White Magic. Dualcast on its own will give you a bunch of white and black spells, like a Red Mage would have, but equipping the actual spell types will let you use everything from those fields in conjunction with Dualcast. So double Meteor, double Holy. I kinda let Black Magic fall off in this one.

Maxing out all the classes in FF5 was way easier than I expected with 4x ABP. Had like 90% of them done by world 3, then the Phoenix Tower finished it off. That place gives like 2000 ABP from the five Magic Pots you can fight throw elixirs at. I recommend not wasting them (aka if you have a class that's at like 410/500 on its last level, don't waste a 400 ABP fight on it).

Left EXP on 1x all game so it wouldn't be easy and that worked out. Cranking ABP early means no need to grind Movers in the endgame, which can be tedious.

It might as well be "master all jobs on all characters" because they're all gonna hit max at around the same time anyway. Except Lenna, since she's out of the group for a while. In my case she had 3 classes to finish at the end when everyone else was going into their last one, so basically two classes behind.

Might be my favorite thing about FF5, that if you buy a spell or learn it once, everyone gets it. Makes everything so much simpler than FF3.

Yeah hopefully there's no burnout. Probably not as far from the end as you think, endgame enemies give a lot of ABP. The bestiary is what's taking me a lot longer. For me the burnout hit, weirdly enough, on FF3. I bounced between that and FF4 and that helped, and the burnout seemed to be gone by the time I got to FF5.

You could jump ahead to FF6 and go back and finish FF5 in a bit or something, though that carries the risk of just not wanting to be bothered to pick it back up.

I still think FF5 is probably the best gameplay-wise out of the six...though I'm this huge FF Tactics mark and FF5 is basically proto-FFT so I may be biased.

Time to wrap this up so I can get to FF6.

It didn’t take long to wrap everything up actually, once I put on the 4x ABP boost. With that, grinding out the jobs in the final dungeon took an hour tops. Even without Movers spawning, the other basic fights were 100+ ABP per fight on 4x. You can grind the whole gamut pretty damn quick at that rate.

Shinryu was pretty nuts. My first attempt he opened (as he always does) with a tidal wave for 4-8k against everyone. TPK! So I was like ok fuck that, I had one coral ring so could have probably slammed my face on it, but just figured I’d leave it until I grinded out the jobs so I had the 4x freelancer thing going, and they all had 4200hp or so.

Plat done!

On FF6 now, and the music/effects are hitting my nostalgia hard again. Fun stuff! Been since the 90’s on this one too, but holy shit did I play the fuck out of this one and 4 back then.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I am dreading FF5 now... I second the annoying bit about needing to have a specific something to progress and having no clue about it.

My last play ended when you get... I think dragoons? I don't remember... I may just actually use the boosts on it just to get it done
He's using boosts because he is 100%ing it and getting max jobs etc.

There is nothing wrong with the game and it isn't as long as FF6.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I'll also add, it has been delightful to play these all in order back to back and watch how the games evolved in each iteration. While in some cases they experimented with mechanics going back and forth, other things like graphics (obviously), art style, level design, etc. all continued to make improvements on the last and get more complex.

Been a fun run, I may even try to continue but I'm not sure what version of 7 and onward I'd try to play. From what I can tell the recent 7 remake seems like trash. Bad battle system and entirely too much "artistic liberty" with the dialogue/story.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
I'll also add, it has been delightful to play these all in order back to back and watch how the games evolved in each iteration. While in some cases they experimented with mechanics going back and forth, other things like graphics (obviously), art style, level design, etc. all continued to make improvements on the last and get more complex.

Been a fun run, I may even try to continue but I'm not sure what version of 7 and onward I'd try to play. From what I can tell the recent 7 remake seems like trash. Bad battle system and entirely too much "artistic liberty" with the dialogue/story.
That's the barrier I hit, was gonna play them all but couldn't pirate FF7 Mobile like I did the Pixel Remasters, then downloaded the fan graphics mod for Steam and the screen kept flickering so I lost interest.

Siliconemelons

7 remake is an entirely different game its technically a sequel

I know many are doing 100% but both 3 and 5 I both hit a wall in my playthroughts each time so, I guess I'll see how I do on 3 that I am on now

joz123

Potato del Grande
5 was the easiest plat for me just took longer than the others. No really rare monsters like Warmech in 1.

• 1WTF

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I am dreading FF5 now... I second the annoying bit about needing to have a specific something to progress and having no clue about it.

My last play ended when you get... I think dragoons? I don't remember... I may just actually use the boosts on it just to get it done

FF5 isn't bad at all. Just finished it. Well, everything except a couple bestiary entries that I'll get to later. So no plat yet. Took 28 hours which is the new record for the series, plus however long the last couple mobs take.

Also, I didn't get level 99 in this one. Final levels were like...all of 50 or so, and leveling seems to be excruciatingly slow compared to all the others. Moreso even than FF3. Naw, I'm good.

It didn’t take long to wrap everything up actually, once I put on the 4x ABP boost. With that, grinding out the jobs in the final dungeon took an hour tops. Even without Movers spawning, the other basic fights were 100+ ABP per fight on 4x. You can grind the whole gamut pretty damn quick at that rate.

Shinryu was pretty nuts. My first attempt he opened (as he always does) with a tidal wave for 4-8k against everyone. TPK! So I was like ok fuck that, I had one coral ring so could have probably slammed my face on it, but just figured I’d leave it until I grinded out the jobs so I had the 4x freelancer thing going, and they all had 4200hp or so.

Plat done!

On FF6 now, and the music/effects are hitting my nostalgia hard again. Fun stuff! Been since the 90’s on this one too, but holy shit did I play the fuck out of this one and 4 back then.

Omega was much tougher than Shinryu for me this go-around 'cause I had Coral Rings. Omega was taking like four turns at a time and it got super annoying so after two losses I just wheeled in a couple of Bards to cast stun song over and over and that made it more of a normal fight, he still got a few turns here and there. Mainly just wanted to get it done. I beat both of these guys back in the day without any rings or tricks so nothing to prove at this juncture.

For FF7 I'd say go with the FF7 HD on PS4. It's the original game, just sharpened-resolution. Surprised more people don't know about it. Costs about the same amount as one of the PRs, and has its own platinum trophy.

Actually at this point 1 through 12 (sans 11) are all playable on a PS4 and all have platinums which is pretty cool. I've never played any of those versions until now. Part of me also wants to continue onto FF7 and 8 remasters and plat those but I'm gonna call it a day for now after 6.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
5 was the easiest plat for me just took longer than the others. No really rare monsters like Warmech in 1.

Stingray in 5 took me longer than Warmech in 1. You must have really lucked into some of the blue magic stuff, or you really knew what you were doing. 5 was definitely the most involved thus far. I’m sure 6 will be similarly involved, at least because it does a world change too.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
FF5 isn't bad at all. Just finished it. Well, everything except a couple bestiary entries that I'll get to later. So no plat yet. Took 28 hours which is the new record for the series, plus however long the last couple mobs take.

Also, I didn't get level 99 in this one. Final levels were like...all of 50 or so, and leveling seems to be excruciatingly slow compared to all the others. Moreso even than FF3. Naw, I'm good.

Omega was much tougher than Shinryu for me this go-around 'cause I had Coral Rings. Omega was taking like four turns at a time and it got super annoying so after two losses I just wheeled in a couple of Bards to cast stun song over and over and that made it more of a normal fight, he still got a few turns here and there. Mainly just wanted to get it done. I beat both of these guys back in the day without any rings or tricks so nothing to prove at this juncture.

For FF7 I'd say go with the FF7 HD on PS4. It's the original game, just sharpened-resolution. Surprised more people don't know about it. Costs about the same amount as one of the PRs, and has its own platinum trophy.

Actually at this point 1 through 12 (sans 11) are all playable on a PS4 and all have platinums which is pretty cool. I've never played any of those versions until now. Part of me also wants to continue onto FF7 and 8 remasters and plat those but I'm gonna call it a day for now after 6.

Lol I one-rounded Omega with dual wield Thundaga spellblade Rapid Fire.

Thanks for the tip on FF7! Didn’t know that existed, I’ll definitely check it out.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
FFV done, 29 hours. Whew.

BIG FF6 PROTIP: The Imperial Camp early in the Sabin scenario is really easy to miss treasure on. The place disappears after that part is over and it has four chests in it (which also disappear, and won't show up on the map either). So be sure to get all four chests there. All are in tents. One's near the entrance, two are next to each other during the part where you're following Kefka around beating him up.

However, the fourth one is like...where the hell is it? And once you talk to Kefka for the last time (when he moves into the open area to the west) you can't get it anymore.

So basically the fourth chest is a little north of the tent with two in it, and you have to walk down some almost-invisible steps to get to it (from the tent with 2 chests). Has a Barrier Ring. I didn't even know this chest existed in the game and I thought I knew where everything was in FF6.

Yeah, that Barrier Ring chest is probably the most missable thing in this entire game. Just be sure to get it.

Also I make a lot of backup saves (esp in FF5 and 6) because of all the missable areas and whatnot. I was sure I'd get to the end of FF5 and have to reload an earlier save to re-do a fair bit of it. Not the case though, I guess I was thorough enough.

Also, there's a super easy to miss chest in the Magitek Factory:

20230507_001841.jpg

This one isn't listed in the main chest count because this one part of the dungeon is counted as its own location for some reason. Also two enemies in this room that are only in this room.

This has the Break Blade which is one of the best weapons in WoB. Was one of the last things I stumbled on back in the 90's and it's this huge find.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm

Depends on if you are set on only turn based old style combat or not. Personally prefer it, but 7 Remake's combat system actually ended up being pretty amazing to play, with a whole lot you can do with it. As for the story, 95% of the game is about as faithful a remake as can be, near the end they introduce a whole lot of wtf that potentially changes a lot going forward into the next Part of the game (although, at the very end, the party is still leaving Midgar to chase Sspiroth and the game is basically exactly in the same spot it was as the original OG7 at that point).

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Depends on if you are set on only turn based old style combat or not. Personally prefer it, but 7 Remake's combat system actually ended up being pretty amazing to play, with a whole lot you can do with it. As for the story, 95% of the game is about as faithful a remake as can be, near the end they introduce a whole lot of wtf that potentially changes a lot going forward into the next Part of the game (although, at the very end, the party is still leaving Midgar to chase Sspiroth and the game is basically exactly in the same spot it was as the original OG7 at that point).

FF7R's story falls off the rails in that last part IMO.

I wouldn't go from playing FF6 PR to playing FF7R. Might as well go from FF6 to Devil May Cry or something. The HD versions of FF7 through 9 are pretty good and probably right in line with the PRs. No idea about X/X-2/12 HD but I assume those are also good in the sense of just taking what existed and sharpening it up to make it look as good as you remember it looking.

• 1Like

Merrith

FF7R's story falls off the rails in that last part IMO.

I wouldn't go from playing FF6 PR to playing FF7R. Might as well go from FF6 to Devil May Cry or something. The HD versions of FF7 through 9 are pretty good and probably right in line with the PRs. No idea about X/X-2/12 HD but I assume those are also good in the sense of just taking what existed and sharpening it up to make it look as good as you remember it looking.

depends how you look at it. Most people realized it was obviously a sequel, and expected changes. I agree they could have done some of the elements for that better in Part 1, but actually like where it's set up to potentially go (although they can obviously fuck it up even worse depending on how it all plays out). Obviously there were some people (not sure if you're one of them) who only wanted a straight 1 to 1 remake of the original, even if they'd pretty much said from day 1 that was never going to be the case. But I get the idea of just wanting that.

I do agree that going from Pixel Remaster of 6 straight to something like 7R is a bit of a jump. HD of OG7 through 9 would make a lot of sense.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
FF6 is basically two games in one, since you have to have everything from World of Balance done before you continue past the Floating Continent. A few items/chests you can't get yet which is a bit annoying but I don't think anything is really missable except for things in areas that disappear or are no longer accessible (Imperial Camp, Magitek Factory, Cave to the Sealed Gate). I think I got everything except a bunch of items in Figaro Castle that are in the basement (which is a lategame area).

All I have left for WoB now is the Wirey Dragon in the Floating Continent for Bestiary. Now called Platinum Dragon. Looks like a flying pterodactyl. Well, I grinded there for about 2 hours and nothing. It was fairly common on the SNES so this is fucking stupid. Totally grinded my momentum to a halt this evening, plus now I have several way-overleveled characters. This "one enemy is way rarer than it should be" thing happened a few times with the other games as well, but nothing this bad. I could have spawned 3-5 Warmechs in the time I've spent on this already.

lol, just got it while I was complaining about it. Now to roll WoR and get this FF crusade done

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
depends how you look at it. Most people realized it was obviously a sequel, and expected changes. I agree they could have done some of the elements for that better in Part 1, but actually like where it's set up to potentially go (although they can obviously fuck it up even worse depending on how it all plays out). Obviously there were some people (not sure if you're one of them) who only wanted a straight 1 to 1 remake of the original, even if they'd pretty much said from day 1 that was never going to be the case. But I get the idea of just wanting that.

I'm more of the mindset that if people want a straight 1:1 port of FF7, just...play FF7. Has a nice HD port on Steam and PS4.

I'm totally open to FF7R doing some new things, fleshing out the world, even being more of a sequel by adding new things after where the original would have ended (like resolving Genesis and Deepground).

So yeah I'm pretty open about all this stuff. The problem isn't that things in FF7R are different, it's that the differences are really dumb. Particularly the Whispers and everything pertaining to them. They made character death completely meaningless by killing and then reviving Barret out of nowhere, having Biggs turn out to be okay for no reason, having Zack show up (rendering Crisis Core kind of moot). I don't feel any tension about Aerith dying anymore because obviously it'll be evaded in some way. Anyone being saved should have been saved for Aerith to make it a surprise, but they had to fool around with Biggs and Barret so they'd have shocking trailer footage of Barret being impaled.

It feels like whenever anyone complains about FF7R they get a lot of "you fear change!" type charges. No, that's a gross oversimplification. They took a game with some serious high stakes in it and they made it about as low-stakes as an episode of Disney's Doug where everything always magically turns out fine at the end.

And all of that would be lame enough in a regular game, but FF7 also happens to be a game where the entire point of the game is dealing with loss, grief, and acceptance. I don't feel like the people behind FF7R understand that. In the real world loss is a thing people deal with, everything doesn't magically Disney's Doug itself back together at the end. Tackling that was part of the brilliance of FF7 to begin with.

• 1Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
The wisps/ghosts weren't explained well, and they came out with Sephiroth too fast and too often. They also added way too much fluff to try to make midgar an entire game. Other than that it was still a good game over all and I just hope they take the criticism that the first installment has gotten and apply it to the others. If its true they want to finish the game in two more episodes, they'll definitely have to cut down on the fluff.

Merrith

I'm more of the mindset that if people want a straight 1:1 port of FF7, just...play FF7. Has a nice HD port on Steam and PS4.

I'm totally open to FF7R doing some new things, fleshing out the world, even being more of a sequel by adding new things after where the original would have ended (like resolving Genesis and Deepground).

So yeah I'm pretty open about all this stuff. The problem isn't that things in FF7R are different, it's that the differences are really dumb. Particularly the Whispers and everything pertaining to them. They made character death completely meaningless by killing and then reviving Barret out of nowhere, having Biggs turn out to be okay for no reason, having Zack show up (rendering Crisis Core kind of moot). I don't feel any tension about Aerith dying anymore because obviously it'll be evaded in some way. Anyone being saved should have been saved for Aerith to make it a surprise, but they had to fool around with Biggs and Barret so they'd have shocking trailer footage of Barret being impaled.

It feels like whenever anyone complains about FF7R they get a lot of "you fear change!" type charges. No, that's a gross oversimplification. They took a game with some serious high stakes in it and they made it about as low-stakes as an episode of Disney's Doug where everything always magically turns out fine at the end.

And all of that would be lame enough in a regular game, but FF7 also happens to be a game where the entire point of the game is dealing with loss, grief, and acceptance. I don't feel like the people behind FF7R understand that. In the real world loss is a thing people deal with, everything doesn't magically Disney's Doug itself back together at the end. Tackling that was part of the brilliance of FF7 to begin with.

Yeah Whispers were the main thing I think they could have handled differently, although since you literally "kill" them, they aren't an issue going forward in the slightest. The Barrett scene felt a lot like them just hammering home the Whispers' purpose rather than supposed to be some super fake out. I don't know if we REALLY know what's up with Biggs/Zack yet, to be honest. I'm still of the mind that they're doing it all to make people think Aerith can be saved, but she actually won't be.

I actually disagree on the high stakes/low stakes theory. If it was just a straight remake we've have exactly zero stakes, b/c we'd know exactly where it was going the entire time. Still enjoyable to play, probably, but yeah. Now it actually feels like stakes are greater going forward. The slight tweaks with the Whispers from first part I kind of just write off to them getting to where they wanted to be, with Whispers gone and not knowing exactly how it's all going to play out now.

Will have to see how it all plays out, but I've noticed when most people complain they just expect everything to change going forward, and I don't think that will quite be the case. Some things yes, b/c they're telling a sequel (requel?) story, but until we actually know some of it, can't say for sure whether changes end up good/bad imo. I think the entire idea of making the people realize Aerith's sacrifice is necessary in the end actually makes the ideas of dealing with loss and grief over that even more powerful than it was in the original game...if they do it well. If they fuck it up, it'll actually turn into the complete mess people worry about.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
they came out with Sephiroth too fast and too often.

Gotta get that trailer footage that the keeds will like.

They totally shot their wad with Sephiroth, who should have appeared sparingly in Pt 1 to build him up. The whole finale of FF7R should have been like, at the end of FF7R-3 or something. They couldn't help themselves from having a Dragonball Z space battle on a meteor or whatever the hell was going on.

FF7R was a good game and I liked a lot of things about it. It's mostly just the last 5% or so that is a giant "what the fuck". Lot of people going "let the story play out", but I'd bet money the creators didn't even plan out what all of it meant until after FF7R-1 was done.

I think the entire idea of making the people realize Aerith's sacrifice is necessary in the end actually makes the ideas of dealing with loss and grief over that even more powerful than it was in the original game...if they do it well. If they fuck it up, it'll actually turn into the complete mess people worry about.

I hope they get this part right. I'll be playing FF7R-2 on day one either way and I'm really looking forward to seeing how they approach this. Maybe it'll turn out they knew what they were doing all along, we'll see.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
20230507_234635.jpg

20230508_001759.jpg
20230508_002307.jpg

First 3 Kefka's Tower bosses down. I'm barely a few hours into WoR and have very subpar/incomplete groups but I went in there and sacked the place for loot anyway. Tried the bosses and had some very good / difficult fights, especially Inferno.

Pack it up bois, we're leaving while we're ahead.

Protip: Betting Gauntlets in the arena gets you Thunder Shields. I had 3 Gauntlets and never really used them, prefer Genji Gloves. Two-Handed is a lot better in FF5. In any case, those Thunder Shields totally gimp the Gold Dragon and help a lot with Inferno. Then you can turn around and use them as items against the Storm Dragon (or Blue Dragon) to do like 9999 damage each and totally gimp that. Yeah, Storm Dragon is weak to lightning. It's actually the wind dragon and Gold is the lightning-element one.

Last edited: