Final Fantasy I-VI Pixel Remaster Series

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Gau with stray cat rage and sniper scope is hilarious. Cant miss physical attack so cat scratch lands every time im just destroying everything for 1400-1600 looooool

It also looks like Hero's Ring is increasing cat scratch attack power.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Very entertaining nostalgia-fest. Would recommend.

IMG_6554.jpeg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Very entertaining nostalgia-fest. Would recommend.

View attachment 474171

NIIIIICE

That line of plats sure does look awesome and I've been wanting something like this for the FF series since trophies first became a thing.

Gau with stray cat rage and sniper scope is hilarious. Cant miss physical attack so cat scratch lands every time im just destroying everything for 1400-1600 looooool

It also looks like Hero's Ring is increasing cat scratch attack power.

Gau is comically overpowered all the way through FF6. Funny thing is I think he's a lot of people's forgotten character (aka "leave on the airship at the end" guy)

Personally my "leave on the airship" characters were usually Locke and Umaro, but in this latest playthrough I left Mog and Setzer since the Pixel Remaster ruins both of them.

But yeah, I've seen a lot of "Gau is lame" online and those people must not know about his several key Rages. Stray Cat is a (rare) spawn before the Phantom Forest, which I means Gau can get it from the jump. Templar is also very OP early on.

There were bosses in PR that Gau basically soloed while everyone else doddered about. I distinctly remember fights where I had one character frozen or muddled or something, while Mog stumbled over and over and Setzer attempted to kill everyone. Meanwhile Gau was chunking the boss for like 20% HP per hit and getting it done.

Jozu

Im confused as to what the pixel remaster is? I am playing it on steam, but the graphics dont look improved, as I saw screenshots of like a better looking Gau etc with crisper sprites? What is that version for?

edit: The steam one im playing says it came out feb 2022 and when it loads it says "Pixel Remaster" so...? What version is the one with the improved looking sprites?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Im confused as to what the pixel remaster is? I am playing it on steam, but the graphics dont look improved, as I saw screenshots of like a better looking Gau etc with crisper sprites? What is that version for?

edit: The steam one im playing says it came out feb 2022 and when it loads it says "Pixel Remaster" so...? What version is the one with the improved looking sprites?
Pixel remaster came out for PC starting PC last year as staggered releases. The image shown is the ps5 version that came out recently. Both are the same thing, graphic remasters of the old games.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
NIIIIICE

That line of plats sure does look awesome and I've been wanting something like this for the FF series since trophies first became a thing.

Gau is comically overpowered all the way through FF6. Funny thing is I think he's a lot of people's forgotten character (aka "leave on the airship at the end" guy)

Personally my "leave on the airship" characters were usually Locke and Umaro, but in this latest playthrough I left Mog and Setzer since the Pixel Remaster ruins both of them.

But yeah, I've seen a lot of "Gau is lame" online and those people must not know about his several key Rages. Stray Cat is a (rare) spawn before the Phantom Forest, which I means Gau can get it from the jump. Templar is also very OP early on.

There were bosses in PR that Gau basically soloed while everyone else doddered about. I distinctly remember fights where I had one character frozen or muddled or something, while Mog stumbled over and over and Setzer attempted to kill everyone. Meanwhile Gau was chunking the boss for like 20% HP per hit and getting it done.

Gau definitely was my forgotten character on first play-through, and I know many never liked putting in time to get proper rages. He's a lot of fun when you do, though. It's funny b/c still like Umaro a bit to this day, just hate he's uncontrollable. If you gamble for his best gear, he becomes pretty nasty.

Curious, how does Pixel Remaster ruin Mog/Setzer?

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
As a rule I don't like AI controlled or otherwise random characters but Gau is totally bananas if you put in some time with him.

Some nerd wrote a goddamn mountain of text on him and there's a lot of good stuff in here. Shit like Merit Award, Offering, Tempest, Cat Scratch can mangle anything not immune to wind. If they didn't nerf the piss out of NightShade (flower looking thing in the World of Ruin when you find Relm, fight it be clicking a painting) they're so broken it hardly makes sense. Magic Urn is close to invincibility.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I decided to go ahead and level my FF5 and FF6 characters to max since I did that with the other four and since I'm not really playing anything else post-PRs. FF5 takes WAY longer than the rest of them. Like way way. I did the maths and I think it's about 12 hours of grinding to get from level 45 (where I beat the game) to 99 in FF5. The best spot is the desert room at the beginning of the final dungeon. Can run up against the sand tides to trigger encounters fast without having to walk back and forth. Crank up the battle speed too. Even with all of that I still projected it taking 12 hours.

FF6 on the other hand is way faster to max everyone out, even though you have four parties to max instead of just one. You level so fast in FF6 with Growth Eggs. Also maxing out everyone's spells, which happens earlier than 99 does generally. I think most characters had all their spells by about 85 or 90. It's a little annoying that you can't get Gogo or Umaro to 9999 HP because they can't equip Espers. They ended up at like 9700 or something.

Mostly done with FF6, got a ways to go on FF5 which is significantly more boring in addition to taking longer, due to it being one party and not having any Espers to manage. I'm really not sure why FF5 takes so much longer to reach max level than all the other games.

If they didn't nerf the piss out of NightShade (flower looking thing in the World of Ruin when you find Relm, fight it be clicking a painting) they're so broken it hardly makes sense. Magic Urn is close to invincibility.

Never knew about Nightshade. What's that rage like? Hard to imagine anything being more OP than Tempest Catscratches dishing out punishment.

Curious, how does Pixel Remaster ruin Mog/Setzer?

Mog - Now has very high stumble rates, and even using the dance that corresponds with your biome can fail now. Dance is borderline useless compared to previous versions.

Setzer - Slots randomly kills your entire party and it happens often. In previous versions this triggered exceedingly rarely, in this version it happened every 5-10 minutes sometimes. So Mog is useless but Setzer is dangerous.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Never knew about Nightshade. What's that rage like? Hard to imagine anything being more OP than Tempest Catscratches dishing out punishment.

Nightshade has a no resist charm that can land on anything (including bosses) and isn't broken by damage like muddle/confuse. I'd be surprised it wasn't changed a little in some of these newer versions.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Done maxing out FF6 characters with level 99, 9999/999 HP/MP (except the two WoR characters), Paladin's Shield, and all spells. That didn't take too long. 34 hours on the clock altogether, finished the plat at like 27 hours.

Meanwhile in FF5 I'm at 35 hours (finished the plat at 29 hours) and nowhere near done. Everyone's in the early 80's and the levels are crawling incredibly slowly. It's the last one at least. Here's the kicker though: Looks like the FF5 crew won't even hit max HP/MP at 99. They'll be just shy of it. If current trajectories hold, they'll all have like 9800 HP and 920 MP. That's so annoying. Why not just let it be max? And why have it take an ungodly amount of grinding when the others don't? Very odd.

Note: This is in Freelancer too, which is the most HP they can get. So a class change won't get me those max stats I want either and I don't think this game has Soma Drop/Golden Apple type items to top them off.

These grinds have been good for catching up on some videos/movies at least. I think when FF5 is done I'll give FF4 3D and After Years 3D a good solid go next.

• 1WTF

Chris

Potato del Grande

The idea is that the original pixels were designed for old style TVs which blurred the pixels together to create a higher quality image.

So the exact same games on modern screens look like shit because the blurring aspect is now absent. Even PS2 games like FFX look a lot worse than I remember back in the day for this reason.

They remastered FF5 and FF6 already to have modern sprites and people disliked them.

So the pixel remaster is an attempt to have the original sprites but tweak them to look as intended taking the blurring effect into account.

Jozu

This is what im talking about, my game im playing the sprites dont look like one in the middle, is this for a handheld or something?

maxresdefault.jpg

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
This is what im talking about, my game im playing the sprites dont look like one in the middle, is this for a handheld or something?

maxresdefault.jpg

I think the one in the middle is like, the previous version for phones. Looks like a PSP sprite, except FF6 never got a PSP version that I know of.

The one on the right is the Pixel Remaster version, I think.

And yeah the PRs are supposed to be pixely. They're as close to the originals as they can get, while also giving them widescreen and smoothness in the pixels and so forth. The goal is for them to "look like what we remember" since the originals no longer do.

In other news, here's an FF6 shot for people with a fetish for the number 9:

20230520_163625.jpg

Meanwhile in FF5...level 90 to 91 took an age so I tallied up the numbers. Looks like it'll take about 80 fights in the final area to go from 91 to 92. This is WITH 4X EXP. So it'd be around 320 fights per level normally. I really don't know what they were thinking with FF5 levels.

Extrapolating that out to add some as levels increase, it looks like I'll need about 700 more battles to hit level 99.

...yeah, I'll chip at this when I'm not doing anything else I guess. The other FFs were all fun to max out but this one is just "what were they thinking".

• 1Seriously?
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jozu

That phone version or whatever looks cool as fuck, you can see Gau is wearing this yellow flinstones type sash with black triangles. Setzer looks cool too, the overall art style of the characters looks awesome I wish they would remake that version. I dont see how people would rather have anything but the middle example of the sprites I posted.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chris

Potato del Grande

maxresdefault.jpg
The middle one is the phone port and what everyone complained about, so they went back to a redesign of the old sprites as per my previous post.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I think the one in the middle is like, the previous version for phones. Looks like a PSP sprite, except FF6 never got a PSP version that I know of.

The one on the right is the Pixel Remaster version, I think.

And yeah the PRs are supposed to be pixely. They're as close to the originals as they can get, while also giving them widescreen and smoothness in the pixels and so forth. The goal is for them to "look like what we remember" since the originals no longer do.

In other news, here's an FF6 shot for people with a fetish for the number 9:

View attachment 474398
Meanwhile in FF5...level 90 to 91 took an age so I tallied up the numbers. Looks like it'll take about 80 fights in the final area to go from 91 to 92. This is WITH 4X EXP. So it'd be around 320 fights per level normally. I really don't know what they were thinking with FF5 levels.

Extrapolating that out to add some as levels increase, it looks like I'll need about 700 more battles to hit level 99.

...yeah, I'll chip at this when I'm not doing anything else I guess. The other FFs were all fun to max out but this one is just "what were they thinking".
You can emulate now either using retropie on a raspberry pi to a crt via composite or using CRT Royale can make the original roms look like they did back then. The actual CRT route might not be a reasonable option for some. I still have one and still play snes weekly.

Here’s from my actual FF3/6 snes cart. Battery is still good. I got a copy of illusion of Gaia that I’ll have to replace the battery in. Anyway. I was bored in 1993 or so.

A8363915-2035-4690-B5B5-AF1C1D637964.jpeg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
20230521_034833.jpg

FF5 FULLY DONE. That level grind took an ungodly time but I just got it done. Go to the desert in the final dungeon and just hold the down button a lot to auto trigger fights while you watch something else.

Looks like they got to 9999 HP after all but not 999 MP, that's annoying.

Not sure why FF5 takes so much longer to level up than the others. The game in general took the longest of the six by a good margin.

20230521_034852.jpg

Also swung back around and maxed out Gil in FF6 for maximum 9's. PR series is totally done now.

FF4 3D next? Maybe, I always have room for a portable game.

• 1Hodjing
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users