Final Fantasy I-VI Pixel Remaster Series

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
They ported this to telephones but not the switch? The fuck?

Square is like the bizzarro version of Apple, legions of fanboys who will literally buy anything with final fantasy on it, and they still manage to fuck it up. They could have made a movie of literally any of the FF's and we ended up with Spirits Within.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Nintendo wouldn't pay money for it, so they didn't get it. Probably because they expected 30% of $15 is not enough sales maybe if Square followed Nintendo pricing and sold these at $49.99 then the Switch would have it.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Shame these aren't on Switch. Playing these on PC just always feels weird as hell to me.
With the performance of octopath traveler I would not want these on switch. The engine runs like shit on my pc with a 3070 in it, switch would probably choke and die. I understand the appeal and would also want it on switch if it was able to run it at a respectable frame rate.

With that said this is absolutely worth $15 if you’ve never played it. It’s got a fantastic cast, lots of memorable moments, amazing music, and the main villain is great.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Can you still suplex the phantom train? Because that's a dealbreaker for me.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

joz123

Potato del Grande
Can you still suplex the phantom train? Because that's a dealbreaker for me.
Joaquin Phoenix Reaction GIF

• 1Solidarity

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
You can but the train is not inverted on the landing so the purists are all up in arms. 0/10 would not buy

• 1Picard
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 users

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
So I have actually been going through all of these while waiting on elden ring, currently on 5.

FF1 - Not a lot to say, it's easier than NES and looks nicer than the GBA/PS1. Would have been nice of it had the extra GBA content but still enjoyable with the QoL stuff like autobattle, sprint, and diagonal movement. It's still pretty amazing from a game design standpoint how they gated the areas/world so well 30ish years ago.

FF2 - this one is completely busted. I am not talking about the shitty leveling system everyone knows about already, which is still present. I am talking weapons and enemies will both proc status effects 100% of the time, even ignoring immunites. You can get wiped out in an ambush of mobs that proc stone/death before you can take action. The encounter rate is also ass. It ended up being an interesting game though as I essentially ran from every random battle and cheesed bosses by hitting them with swords that procd curse and sleep.

FF3 - I had never played this one much besides the 3d version on DS which I never finished. This was really fun. Job system was a bit basic but good enough.

FF4 - Cheated here and played the PSP version since I wanted to do the after years. This game still rules. The after years expansion took me about as long as FF1-4 combined. It is pretty grindy but if you like FF4 it does pretty well with the characters and adds Chrono Trigger like combo attacks called bands. The end dungeons are massive and have bosses from FF1-6 in them. None of that is in the pixel remaster which really sucks.

FF5 - Perfect port imo except multi hit attacks are too slow with 1 hit at a time. Kills battle speed. I am also spoiled now with ppsspp's fast forward button.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
They ported this to telephones but not the switch? The fuck?

Yeah it's pretty idiotic.

I enjoyed the hell out of FF1 PR but I'm not gonna buy the others until they're on consoles (PS specifically, 'cause I want trophies). I assume there'll be a $60 all-in-one, probably around the holiday season, but it's just as likely they'll just never do it because lol

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
So I have actually been going through all of these while waiting on elden ring, currently on 5.

FF1 - Not a lot to say, it's easier than NES and looks nicer than the GBA/PS1. Would have been nice of it had the extra GBA content but still enjoyable with the QoL stuff like autobattle, sprint, and diagonal movement. It's still pretty amazing from a game design standpoint how they gated the areas/world so well 30ish years ago.

I prefer the PSP version to the PR version myself, because of the extra Dawn of Souls areas and the new secret dungeon at the end (so like, five bonus areas IIRC, and they're all good). Don't have a PSP anymore though. I guess I could emulate when needed. Thing is, the PSP versions of 1, 2, and 4 are all vastly superior to their PR versions specifically because of all the extra content they have. The PR versions of 3 and 5 are probably the best way to play them though. I don't even know if the PSP got those.

FF2 - this one is completely busted. I am not talking about the shitty leveling system everyone knows about already, which is still present. I am talking weapons and enemies will both proc status effects 100% of the time, even ignoring immunites. You can get wiped out in an ambush of mobs that proc stone/death before you can take action. The encounter rate is also ass. It ended up being an interesting game though as I essentially ran from every random battle and cheesed bosses by hitting them with swords that procd curse and sleep.

I've played through FF2 like 3 times I think and I always do all my powering up right at the beginning of the game. A couple hours of the characters training (by beating each other up) and I'm halfway to endgame strength before I even go to the second town. So I've never had any real problems getting through FF2. But yeah it's easily the worst of the mainline FFs.

FF4 - Cheated here and played the PSP version since I wanted to do the after years. This game still rules. The after years expansion took me about as long as FF1-4 combined. It is pretty grindy but if you like FF4 it does pretty well with the characters and adds Chrono Trigger like combo attacks called bands. The end dungeons are massive and have bosses from FF1-6 in them. None of that is in the pixel remaster which really sucks.

PSP also has Interlude, which is like an hour-long section of the game that no other version has and takes place after the finale of FF4.

The end dungeon of FF4 TAY is absolutely massive, maybe the biggest single dungeon in the whole series, IDK. It's like 30 floors and each floor is a full area, with like 20 bosses throughout the whole thing. I usually beat FF4's main game in about 9 hours, while TAY takes like 25-30 and half of that is the final dungeon. I found it super interesting with the idea that the endboss was the creator of all the enemies you've fought in other FFs. It was the first (only?) time they ever made an effort to connect the series together.

I remember Deathgaze (aka Doom Gaze) being the big threat in the last dungeon and taking me a bunch of tries to beat. Same goes for Atma Weapon and Shinryu. Then I got to the penultimate boss (blue-haired death lady and Dark Bahamut) and got one-shotted before I could even do anything by Meganuke. Turns out said penultimate fight is a big HP/level check. So I had to go grind...a lot. The girl I was dating at the time was already feeling iffy about me after a year since I was still a student and she wasn't, and me spending days working on TAY during a time when we were already on the rocks a bit was sort of the last straw for her so she just sorta left. I remember leaving the game running on like Depths B28 and going to talk to her, it not going well, and me going back to the level-grinding and feeling like a complete douchebag.

...aside from FF4 TAY getting ruined for me at the end, it was one of the best FF experiences I've had easily. The girl came back later too, though only for like another month before deciding she made the right choice the first time. Whatever.

Like I said before, FF3 and 5 are the two that I think the PR series has the best versions of (maybe 6 too? IDK) so I look forward to playing them the most whenever these get their console release.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
With the performance of octopath traveler I would not want these on switch. The engine runs like shit on my pc with a 3070 in it, switch would probably choke and die. I understand the appeal and would also want it on switch if it was able to run it at a respectable frame rate.

They must have done a terrible job with the PC port or there's something fucky with your PC. Octopath runs just fine on the switch, it uses Unreal.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
They must have done a terrible job with the PC port or there's something fucky with your PC. Octopath runs just fine on the switch, it uses Unreal.
I’m guessing the port sucked, it has bad frame dips during combat and even when walking around. My other games don’t have that issues unless there is some serious shit going on, like mass invasions in The Riftbreaker. Octopath had nothing near this.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Always wanted to do a complete playthrough of every Final Fantasy game in order but never liked the idea of paying for them all, especially since I've already bought several of them twice for different platforms.

Found out that you can easily pirate all the mobile remasters so downloaded FF1 and finished it today:

Screenshot_20221105-185749_Final Fantasy I.jpg

Thought I'd write a mini review of each.

Difficulty curve is really uneven in this one, game is super hard just from an endurance perspective of running out of MP/Potions at the start. Second dungeon Marsh Cave is difficult until you grind some levels, third one Earth Cavern is difficult until you learn the layout as it's so long.

From that point onwards you can afford to buy 99 High Potions and the rest of the game is very easy since you can heal up whaenever. I found out only at the end that some items let you cast magic for free (well I knew but not that you cast via item menu and it's infinite), which would have made mid game much easier.

Final Boss was the only difficult encounter in the game and really fun.

On to FF2 which is the only one I never played. FF1 and 4 I completed 50% of each on emulator and FF3 I got to last boss on DS 3D Remake. FF5 onwards I finished them all except FF11 where I gave up at lv20 just after dual classing.

• 2Faggotry
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, the final boss is the only tough part. 20000 HP while the other bosses in the game top out at like...5000 or so?

When I ran 4x Black Mages, they pretty much couldn't kill the final boss because Flare didn't do enough damage quick enough. All my other parties were able to beat the game at like level 40, yet 4x BMs got to like level 60 and I still lost. Then I gave one of them a Masamune and tried powering them up with Giant's Gloves and Temper/Haste. Boom, suddenly that character was doing 3x as much damage as my Flares and I was able to win handily.

Funny how my mage group ended up needing to use a melee strategy to win. I also tried 4x Thief and it's actually a good party in this, unlike the NES version where it's easily the worst for the first half of the game.

FF2...the best thing about FF2 is the Soul of Rebirth postgame content, which is only in the GBA and PSP versions. So I don't expect a whole lot from the Pixel Remaster version.

FF1 is still the only one of these that I've played, waiting on a console compilation for the rest.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Yeah, the final boss is the only tough part. 20000 HP while the other bosses in the game top out at like...5000 or so?

When I ran 4x Black Mages, they pretty much couldn't kill the final boss because Flare didn't do enough damage quick enough. All my other parties were able to beat the game at like level 40, yet 4x BMs got to like level 60 and I still lost. Then I gave one of them a Masamune and tried powering them up with Giant's Gloves and Temper/Haste. Boom, suddenly that character was doing 3x as much damage as my Flares and I was able to win handily.

Funny how my mage group ended up needing to use a melee strategy to win. I also tried 4x Thief and it's actually a good party in this, unlike the NES version where it's easily the worst for the first half of the game.

FF2...the best thing about FF2 is the Soul of Rebirth postgame content, which is only in the GBA and PSP versions. So I don't expect a whole lot from the Pixel Remaster version.

FF1 is still the only one of these that I've played, waiting on a console compilation for the rest.
Yeah endgame FF1 seemed to be giving your melee characters Saber via item, Temper and Haste via black magic and then unleashing hell with 1500 damage hits. That's all stuff Ninjas can do. Other than the last boss, Black Wizard elemental magic or flare spam just beat every boss.

Did the first bit of FF2 and... wow this game is actually great!? Story is decent and I like the interaction of having to feed NPCs specific key words and items to make events happen. Battle system is fantastic, I think it's a FF8 stituation where autists sit and grind for hours because they can, but if you play through normally it's fun.

I'm doing Firion is melee, Maria black magic and daggers and Guy white magic and fists. Already feel like Firon is under utilised not using magic, but he does have the best melee DPS, Guy is somehow a high HP/damage beast as well as my healer and Guy/Maria have loads of MP. Very happy so far.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
FF2 is probably the worst of the first ten FFs, but it's still good. Especially if they got rid of all the sharp edges in the PR version. I'm looking forward to giving it one more run.

The only party I have left to beat FF1 with is 4x White Wizards (not mages, I'll take the class up thx). Gonna do that one on the NES for authenticity. I wonder if it'll be as incredibly tedious as 4x Thief was. ...until I got to the class change. After that I rolled it. Astos and Lich were the two hardest fights in the game with Thieves that usually did 1 damage.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
FF2 is probably the worst of the first ten FFs, but it's still good. Especially if they got rid of all the sharp edges in the PR version. I'm looking forward to giving it one more run.

The only party I have left to beat FF1 with is 4x White Wizards (not mages, I'll take the class up thx). Gonna do that one on the NES for authenticity. I wonder if it'll be as incredibly tedious as 4x Thief was. ...until I got to the class change. After that I rolled it. Astos and Lich were the two hardest fights in the game with Thieves that usually did 1 damage.
I remember the white mage run being surprisingly easy.

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
They didn't. It is still broken but that makes it somewhat interesting. Status effects are 100% hit chance on monster hits and weapon effects. This means random battles can instant ko you before you get a chance to do anything so it's better to run from everything and abuse status weapons on boss fights because stats mean nothing if you can sleep/curse bosses.

Chris

Potato del Grande
They didn't. It is still broken but that makes it somewhat interesting. Status effects are 100% hit chance on monster hits and weapon effects. This means random battles can instant ko you before you get a chance to do anything so it's better to run from everything and abuse status weapons on boss fights because stats mean nothing if you can sleep/curse bosses.
Monster hits?

There are so many encounters that I'm leveling up out of control and have insane evasion.

Then they put in a tropical island dungeon you can access early that's full of flans which take zero from physical attacks unless you crit, so when 7 of those show up my weapon/shield kept levelling up it took so long to kill them since I didn't have the 100,000 mana needed to kill them as they showed up every 3 steps.

Weirdly enough I enjoyed it.

They just gave me Leila with 300HP when the others are at ~2000HP.

Last edited: