Final Fantasy I-VI Pixel Remaster Series

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I’m in FF5 now, at the point where cid/mid found and gave me a secret airship made by the ancients.

I love all the jobs, brings me back 3 or whichever one had jobs before. Some are so OP. Geomancer is the bomb, same with ranger or maxed summoner. 0mp cast that most likely kills anything. Back in ff3 I had geomancer +bard which would sing the heal song for a mana-free 500-600hp heal. It makes all the difference in the world because you can save all mana for the boss fights and easily farm your way through the dungeons.

I stopped to farm some squirrels which give 5 job xp. They hit hard but I gave everyone the Giaia skill which instantly kills them. Or i must be so high level they will flee the fight instantly but I still get 5job xp anyway.

questions though
  • What do you get if you master a job?
  • do blue mage spells scale with my level/power or are they static? They seem to be static but I can’t tell
  • i have a ribbon but can’t wear it :( sup with that?

Mastering jobs gives the Freelancer and Mimic classes a permanent boost. Basically whatever class gives the biggest boost in a stat, your character will inherit that boost.

Also you get to port over all of their abilities to use at will on other classes.

In the endgame everyone should be either a Freelancer or Mimic and if you're like me you'll have like 75% of the classes maxed by then, so don't worry about it too much. Except don't spend too much time sitting in any particular classes, switch it up often.

Freelancer is more of the endgame "fighter class" IMO and Mimic is more of the endgame "caster class". Kinda like Ninja and Sage were in FF3. Both can be either though. Not much reason to use anyone else once you have them, except to max more classes for more bonuses/abilities.

Red Mage takes the longest to max of any class, but doing so gets you Double Cast which is incredibly good. You'll want at least one endgame Mimic with that equipped.

Also be sure to max Hunter on everyone you plan on having as an endgame fighter, which gets you Quad Hits or whatever it's called now. That makes them do four attacks at about 75% of normal damage, which is an easy way to triple their DPS.

Also don't sleep on the Animals ability (also from Hunters). While 4x hits is the best thing for any meleer later in the game, Animals is a particularly good ability in the early to mid game. It's basically Mog's dances from Final Fantasy 6 and summons animals to do a variety of things like group heals, AOE damage, confusion, etc. A bunch of these abilities made it into FF6 as part of Mog's repertoire as a matter of fact. With one character spamming Animals I was pretty much able to keep everyone's HP topped off without using any MP in some of the game's dungeons.

Endgame I had 3 Freelancers and 1 Mimic. First 3 spammed 4x Hits, Mimic spammed Double Meteor. Nothing lasted very long at all. Beat the game at level 45.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
bleaaaaaaaah.

The way FF14 is set up is simultaneously it's biggest strength and biggest flaw. You can't just jump in and start playing, you have to chew your way through all of A Realm Reborn, Heavensward, and Stormblood before you get to start on Shadowbringers. You can buy story skips but that would destroy what made Shadowbringers so memorable, like if Infinity War came out without 10 years of building up the MCU first but beyond even that because they plainly didn't have all this planned out at the start but Ishikawa takes all these disparate threads from the previous three expansions and weaves them together into a fantastic overarching story.

You don't need a static group for anything in FF14 except the highest difficulty optional content. FF11 was more in the old school Everquest style of MMOs wasn't it? FF14 is very much a contemporary design with a story (main scenario quests) that will provide more than enough xp to keep you from having to grind to level your primary job, and there's an xp bonus when you're still working your way through old content so you can keep two or even three jobs leveled at once.

but god damn ARR is a fucking slog, even with all the work they've done over the years to slim it down and speed it up. A Realm Reborn is like the first two seasons of Deep Space Nine.

"chew your way through" makes sense for A Realm Reborn. But pretty much once you get to Heavensward, the story is top notch. Stormblood has some pacing stuff that causes some slow parts, but pretty much as soon as you get to the end of ARR, the story cranks up and it just kinda goes from there. Obviously the last 2 expansions have been another level, though.

ARR being compared to the first bit of DS9 is a pretty good comparison, though.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
sounds like an overly ambitious project that will die halfway through development or get hit with a C&D by Square Enix.

• 2Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
sounds like an overly ambitious project that will die halfway through development or get hit with a C&D by Square Enix.

It might have a chance if they keep it limited to basically just FF6 boss fights. Which I'm not sure what else to do with it anyway.

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
Shame they fucked up the title. Everyone knows it's FF IIIIII.

I would play that if it ends up miraculously making it out.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
SquareEnix lawyers been slotting Raiden for Quick.

As a kid I never understood wtf Quick did. Thought it was some kind of Haste spell and I already had one of those. So I never fooled with it. They should have called it Time Stop or something like that to properly convey how OP it is.

Whenever I play FF6 again I might try a low level game challenge where I shut off EXP fron the get-go. That could be really interesting, and probably impossible.

Siliconemelons

I have put aside TOTK enough to get back on to FF3...

I was right before the place I got stuck/forgotwhattodo on 3d ff3- Saronia? whatever, the big kingdom with a self induced civil war and 4 towns etc. So I got through that, and finished all main game content and am ready to enter the final two keyed areas.

I still feel the characters and plot are a step back from FF2 in the evolution of the FF series. I do not like /job based/ games, and I cannot really fully express why. I do not like changing often or for a specific reason - such as the bird dude in Saronia (or whatever spelling) - fine one fight, everyone is a dragoon hur-dy-dur. Then I go into the multiplication cave and have to move my people to dark knights, but they have no weapons until round two... that was dumb. Urgh but I made it through I am at the "end" and yet I know I am about to get ANOTHER new job set to get to.

Of all things, I have loved the bard for grinding, he is my only level 99 class lol - sing your free healing song!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

Okay FF3 down, I guess I over preped- was level 50, Ninja, Black Belt or whatever, 2 Magus one white one summon/black. Was 53 when I got to Cloud of Darkness, only used like 2 or 3 ninja stars as he kept getting killed...but I got her in the first try only man down was the ninja.

Glad it had an ending and more plot - and really does lend back to that 3 is a proto 5 and 2 is a proto 4

Started FF4, and wow, even just the opening music, flow, etc etc is such a step above even the others as Pixle Remasters - but this is the one that I played so much as a kid, so I will be happy to member'berries it and get to 5 that I have, like 3, never gotten through.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

joz123

Potato del Grande
Okay FF3 down, I guess I over preped- was level 50, Ninja, Black Belt or whatever, 2 Magus one white one summon/black. Was 53 when I got to Cloud of Darkness, only used like 2 or 3 ninja stars as he kept getting killed...but I got her in the first try only man down was the ninja.

Glad it had an ending and more plot - and really does lend back to that 3 is a proto 5 and 2 is a proto 4

Started FF4, and wow, even just the opening music, flow, etc etc is such a step above even the others as Pixle Remasters - but this is the one that I played so much as a kid, so I will be happy to member'berries it and get to 5 that I have, like 3, never gotten through.
5 is my fav out of the 6. Best job system, bunch of secret stuff and it's probably the longest.

• 1Faggotry
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
5 is my favorite out of the first 6 as well, at this point. 6 blew me away more when i first played it since the story is so good. But it's not worth revisiting like 5 is -- 5's job system / progression is just so damn satisfying. And then you can get into stuff like the Four Job Fiesta / single class challenges / etc.

1 is the only other one of the first 6 that's super replayable in that way. Even 3 isn't as enjoyable to replay, with all the sections where you HAVE to use certain classes.

• 1Faggotry

Chris

Potato del Grande
5 is my favorite out of the first 6 as well, at this point. 6 blew me away more when i first played it since the story is so good. But it's not worth revisiting like 5 is -- 5's job system / progression is just so damn satisfying. And then you can get into stuff like the Four Job Fiesta / single class challenges / etc.

1 is the only other one of the first 6 that's super replayable in that way. Even 3 isn't as enjoyable to replay, with all the sections where you HAVE to use certain classes.
FF5 best battle/character gameplay and FF6 best world/dungeon gameplay of the Nintendo era imo.

First four are not worth replaying.

• 3Faggotry
  • 2Pathetic
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 6 users

joz123

Potato del Grande
First four are not worth replaying.
james franco wtf GIF

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

I agree. 1 and 5 are both very customizable and give you freedom to try a variety of setups.

3 on the other hand has a few too many sections where your class choices are forced. I had a similar problem with Final Fantasy: Four Heroes of Light on the DS back in the day. A lot of people loved that game, but I didn't. For about half the game I usually only had two characters in the group. Which is pretty weird for a game called "Four" Heroes of Light, where the entire appeal of the game is that it has a class system you can mess around with and try different classes out. With only two characters available for so long, one always has to be a healer, so you really only have one class to play around with. Not sure what they were smoking. The second half is a lot better when you like, actually have the four heroes and can try different class combinations.

Regardless the issues with FF3 and Four Heroes both kinda ward me off from giving them another go at any point. I might try Bravely Default later on if it's a similar kind of class-based system like I've heard.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I agree. 1 and 5 are both very customizable and give you freedom to try a variety of setups.

3 on the other hand has a few too many sections where your class choices are forced. I had a similar problem with Final Fantasy: Four Heroes of Light on the DS back in the day. A lot of people loved that game, but I didn't. For about half the game I usually only had two characters in the group. Which is pretty weird for a game called "Four" Heroes of Light, where the entire appeal of the game is that it has a class system you can mess around with and try different classes out. With only two characters available for so long, one always has to be a healer, so you really only have one class to play around with. Not sure what they were smoking. The second half is a lot better when you like, actually have the four heroes and can try different class combinations.

Regardless the issues with FF3 and Four Heroes both kinda ward me off from giving them another go at any point. I might try Bravely Default later on if it's a similar kind of class-based system like I've heard.
This is why I don't like FF9 other than some of the music, you can in theory build your party any way you like but you are going to want a healer and a mage and a knight so gear isn't shared and you cover all roles/damage types.

So you end up with Garnet/Eiko, Vivi/Quena, Freya/Steiner and Zidane. The other guy shares an archetype with Zidane who is compulsory so you never use him and I can't remember his name even...

Best I could do was using Garnet AND Eiko with one of them using summons for elemental damage.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
This is why I don't like FF9 other than some of the music, you can in theory build your party any way you like but you are going to want a healer and a mage and a knight so gear isn't shared and you cover all roles/damage types.

So you end up with Garnet/Eiko, Vivi/Quena, Freya/Steiner and Zidane. The other guy shares an archetype with Zidane who is compulsory so you never use him and I can't remember his name even...

Best I could do was using Garnet AND Eiko with one of them using summons for elemental damage.

Never realized that FFIX's characters are basically in pairs role-wise. Like Super Mario Kart.

The other guy is Amarant. I used him because he looked bad-ass. I think my party in that game was always Zidane/Steiner/Garnet/Amarant though I sometimes switched in Vivi or Freya for the last spot. Didn't like Eiko or Quina. In the endgame Zidane and Steiner carried all the weight.

It's a great game but I think I've only played through FF9 twice ever, which is low for this series, down with FF5.

• 1Like