Final Fantasy I-VI Pixel Remaster Series

Siliconemelons

It seems that I really did not remember much about what I did play of FF5 - I remember getting fairly far, but none of the details - I do remember getting to the bridge fight, and downloading the music - FF5 has like some of the best music, and some of the most forgettable. I am in the floating ruins, I absolutely do not remember any of this - I remember getting stuck in some flying / airship situation and thinking I needed to use dragoons. But that is not this? It really is some total old man brain fog I feel like Gaulf here.

But with that, it is enjoyable to "replay" or "play" it- as everything is new with really random "oh yes I kind of do remember this!" but what I remember is soooo disjointed it really makes no sense so me as I even try and recall stuff. I guess I need more fish in my diet.

Trying to do the blue magic thing, seems fun. Jobs are annoying with mixing any only being able to use 1 thing from another job- but that is better than 3's version. I know later jobs have more slots? Also only getting 1 or 2 job points is harsh, I hope the next segment is a little better.

Monk is seemingly OP like in FF3. Doing more dmg than any weapon user, gaining more hp per level and takes hits just as well.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
It seems that I really did not remember much about what I did play of FF5 - I remember getting fairly far, but none of the details - I do remember getting to the bridge fight, and downloading the music - FF5 has like some of the best music, and some of the most forgettable. I am in the floating ruins, I absolutely do not remember any of this - I remember getting stuck in some flying / airship situation and thinking I needed to use dragoons. But that is not this? It really is some total old man brain fog I feel like Gaulf here.

But with that, it is enjoyable to "replay" or "play" it- as everything is new with really random "oh yes I kind of do remember this!" but what I remember is soooo disjointed it really makes no sense so me as I even try and recall stuff. I guess I need more fish in my diet.

Trying to do the blue magic thing, seems fun. Jobs are annoying with mixing any only being able to use 1 thing from another job- but that is better than 3's version. I know later jobs have more slots? Also only getting 1 or 2 job points is harsh, I hope the next segment is a little better.

Monk is seemingly OP like in FF3. Doing more dmg than any weapon user, gaining more hp per level and takes hits just as well.

There's one super-good area to grind job levels in FF5. Wish I could remember exactly where it was. Walse Castle Basement or something like that? You'd get these groups of five enemies over and over that could be one-shotted with the right Blue magic. I know I posted about it earlier in the thread when I was playing the game. I spent a couple hours there and maxed out a bunch of jobs, and the spot is only about a third to halfway through the game too. Then again, endgame Movers are way more efficient for job-maxing so you really only need to do this basement grind if you really need some job levels or are falling behind on relative power.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
There's one super-good area to grind job levels in FF5. Wish I could remember exactly where it was. Walse Castle Basement or something like that? You'd get these groups of five enemies over and over that could be one-shotted with the right Blue magic. I know I posted about it earlier in the thread when I was playing the game. I spent a couple hours there and maxed out a bunch of jobs, and the spot is only about a third to halfway through the game too. Then again, endgame Movers are way more efficient for job-maxing so you really only need to do this basement grind if you really need some job levels or are falling behind on relative power
Basement of the castle immediately before the werewolf village, I forget the name

Siliconemelons

So- I am on the 3rd world now. And I missed level 5 death blue magic on the first rounds, so after reading about AP grinding- I made sure to grab it asap once I got back to the Library...and lulz good thing I did! hahah

So I think during my last playthough way back that I barely remeber, I was stuck in the Forest of Moore - I dont think you could leave once /the event/ happens- and my people were poorly ready to fight the 4 boss battle at the end, so I was stuck. The thing I am vaugely remebering about airship battles, must have been that floating castle thing- as even now on this play, 1 of the 2 cannon types did some harsh all party attacks while the other type was ez mode. I could have sword the tree thing was ff3...oh well ;-)

I gave in, I am weak, I turned on 4x job points and am slumming the basement.

I also think it is funny that in all the FF games the US did not originally get, all had the "Sealed super weapons" thing - 2, 3 and 5 - but nothing similar in 1, 4 or 6.

I am enjoying 5 a lot more having a decent guide to reference only as needed and being more flexible in jobs helps.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
So- I am on the 3rd world now. And I missed level 5 death blue magic on the first rounds, so after reading about AP grinding- I made sure to grab it asap once I got back to the Library...and lulz good thing I did! hahah

So I think during my last playthough way back that I barely remeber, I was stuck in the Forest of Moore - I dont think you could leave once /the event/ happens- and my people were poorly ready to fight the 4 boss battle at the end, so I was stuck. The thing I am vaugely remebering about airship battles, must have been that floating castle thing- as even now on this play, 1 of the 2 cannon types did some harsh all party attacks while the other type was ez mode. I could have sword the tree thing was ff3...oh well ;-)

I gave in, I am weak, I turned on 4x job points and am slumming the basement.

I also think it is funny that in all the FF games the US did not originally get, all had the "Sealed super weapons" thing - 2, 3 and 5 - but nothing similar in 1, 4 or 6.

I am enjoying 5 a lot more having a decent guide to reference only as needed and being more flexible in jobs helps.

FF4 kinda had the "sealed weapons" thing in the final dungeon, bunch of optional bosses in there guarding ultimate weapons for Cecil, Edge, and Kain + Ribbons (BIS helm for Rydia and Rosa I think). I really like the sealed weapons as a concept and wish more games did that.

4x job points + the basement = can totally break FF5. Which isn't the worst thing, it can be fun to have access to all the abilities and earlier than endgame. That said, may not want to break it too much, because the best memories I have of FF5 are from my original playthrough in 2001 where I struggled quite a bit and had some great fights later on with foes like Exdeath 1.0.

FF5 protip: If going for the bestiary/platinum, there are four "missing" entries that aren't actually missing. The four crystal boss is named "???" so you end up with four ???'s on the bestiary in there with all the other ???'s that you haven't gotten. The boss ???'s aren't dimmed though and can be clicked on to bring up the crystals. This actually trips up a fair amount of people and I've seen folks on boards asking where those four "missing" mobs are. Kind of hilarious in retrospect. FF5's bestiary is kinda ass and a half due to the three worlds and how many foes are missable.

Siliconemelons

FF4 kinda had the "sealed weapons" thing in the final dungeon, bunch of optional bosses in there guarding ultimate weapons for Cecil, Edge, and Kain + Ribbons (BIS helm for Rydia and Rosa I think). I really like the sealed weapons as a concept and wish more games did that.

4x job points + the basement = can totally break FF5. Which isn't the worst thing, it can be fun to have access to all the abilities and earlier than endgame. That said, may not want to break it too much, because the best memories I have of FF5 are from my original playthrough in 2001 where I struggled quite a bit and had some great fights later on with foes like Exdeath 1.0.

FF5 protip: If going for the bestiary/platinum, there are four "missing" entries that aren't actually missing. The four crystal boss is named "???" so you end up with four ???'s on the bestiary in there with all the other ???'s that you haven't gotten. The boss ???'s aren't dimmed though and can be clicked on to bring up the crystals. This actually trips up a fair amount of people and I've seen folks on boards asking where those four "missing" mobs are. Kind of hilarious in retrospect. FF5's bestiary is kinda ass and a half due to the three worlds and how many foes are missable.

Yeah, I did a few short days of grinding, got the mellee pair, all their classes, got the magic duo all their classes and monk mastered... so now it is kinda like "well...until I get mimic, thats it.. be freelancers? be whatever?..." it does kind of take some magic out of the game now that I spent the first 2/3's playing, I suppose as indented - and now I am playing like I originally wanted where playing the class game was not the game... but... it is the game - now I feel I am just on a MMO fetch quest cycle to get to my last raid mob and go to bed.

But I still have not gotten this far before, or beaten the game ever, so time to push through.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I did a few short days of grinding, got the mellee pair, all their classes, got the magic duo all their classes and monk mastered... so now it is kinda like "well...until I get mimic, thats it.. be freelancers? be whatever?..." it does kind of take some magic out of the game now that I spent the first 2/3's playing, I suppose as indented - and now I am playing like I originally wanted where playing the class game was not the game... but... it is the game - now I feel I am just on a MMO fetch quest cycle to get to my last raid mob and go to bed.

But I still have not gotten this far before, or beaten the game ever, so time to push through.

Yeah, power gaming can kinda rob you of some enjoyment. I tend to do it more with replays, or when I just want to knock something out quick. It is fun to completely break Bloodborne with a gun build after having trouble with it in the past.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

Ultimate bosses will still take effort, power through

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Ultimate bosses will still take effort, power through

Not in FFV!

Shinryu is about as threatening as The Whelk if you equip everyone with Tidal Rings bought in the Unseen Village. Omega could be significantly harder unless you bring a couple bards and have them spam their stun song, which incapacitates him entirely.

I wish FFVI had superbosses. The closest thing is Siegfried in the Coliseum. FFVI Advance at least adds a few postgame bosses but none are what I'd consider "super". The Kaiser Dragon is the last and biggest boss, and apparently it was a cut boss from the original FFVI so that's kind of interesting. Even that fight isn't super though. Problem is that FFVI characters can get so massively overpowered that I don't even know if FFVI CAN have a superboss.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Problem is that FFVI characters can get so massively overpowered that I don't even know if FFVI CAN have a superboss.
FF games can always have a super boss. Just increase the boss's health pool and give it some 9,999 damage attacks.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
FF games can always have a super boss. Just increase the boss's health pool and give it some 9,999 damage attacks.

Emerald Weapon might work in an FF6 setting, due to Aire Tam Storm being a 9999 AOE (yeah, I know it can be gimped by unequipping all your materia, but where's the fun in that). A fight like that in FF6 would require the player to make judicious use of Life 3 to recover. Combine that with 1M HP, high regen, Fallen One (Kefka's "drop everyone to 1 HP" AOE) and various status effects like zombie/confuse and I think it might be enough to challenge a fully-OP FF6 party. Maybe also have the boss randomly give itself Image status to block 8-hit melee spam.

Regardless, Kaiser Dragon ain't it. A real FF6 superboss would need to throw everything at the wall.

Damn, now I want to create an FF6 romhack that just adds a superboss fight and nothing else. Wonder how hard it'd be to do. A hack that adds one fight seems like it could be pretty basic.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Emerald Weapon might work in an FF6 setting, due to Aire Tam Storm being a 9999 AOE (yeah, I know it can be gimped by unequipping all your materia, but where's the fun in that). A fight like that in FF6 would require the player to make judicious use of Life 3 to recover. Combine that with 1M HP, high regen, Fallen One (Kefka's "drop everyone to 1 HP" AOE) and various status effects like zombie/confuse and I think it might be enough to challenge a fully-OP FF6 party. Maybe also have the boss randomly give itself Image status to block 8-hit melee spam.

Regardless, Kaiser Dragon ain't it. A real FF6 superboss would need to throw everything at the wall.

Damn, now I want to create an FF6 romhack that just adds a superboss fight and nothing else. Wonder how hard it'd be to do. A hack that adds one fight seems like it could be pretty basic.
I've never messed around with them, but there are ROM editing tools for FF6, probably would be pretty easy to just add one fight.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
I've never messed around with them, but there are ROM editing tools for FF6, probably would be pretty easy to just add one fight.

There is a Kaiser Dragon official version or mod out there already, no need to do it yourself.

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
Did they ever update the PC version of pixel remaster to have the exp boosts and other features from the console version?

• 1Picard

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Did they ever update the PC version of pixel remaster to have the exp boosts and other features from the console version?

I have no idea but I doubt it. The Switch versions are worth getting just to be able to play these on the go. I got them on PS5 because I wanted those 100% platinums and that was a big part of the recent playthrough for a bunch of us here, but for normal non-autistic folks I'd definitely go with the Switch versions.

• 1Worf

Chris

Potato del Grande
I have no idea but I doubt it. The Switch versions are worth getting just to be able to play these on the go. I got them on PS5 because I wanted those 100% platinums and that was a big part of the recent playthrough for a bunch of us here, but for normal non-autistic folks I'd definitely go with the Switch versions.
Do you guys not have phone?

All 6 can be pirated for android, that's what I did.

• 1Pathetic

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
phone

pirated for android

Jim Carrey Vomit GIF

• 1Worf

Siliconemelons

Ff5 down, didn't kill the thing guarding ragnarock though.

twin summon bahamut all mimicked made for a lame but successful final battle....

I guess part of the mechanic game is to do it in different methodologies. Ehh.

Fired up 6, let's gOooo

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Ff5 down, didn't kill the thing guarding ragnarock though.

twin summon bahamut all mimicked made for a lame but successful final battle....

I guess part of the mechanic game is to do it in different methodologies. Ehh.

Fired up 6, let's gOooo

There's an early level-up trick in FF6 as well, but don't do it. Can gimp the challenge of the first half of the game and gimp your characters in the second half since they'll be missing esper bonuses. I'd also leave the exp/money bonuses off for this one because it's super well-balanced as it is and doesn't need them.

Couple places where it's worth it to stop and level a bit (and by a bit I mean like maybe 15-20 minutes)

-Sabin's scenario once you have Cyan (go back to that house you started at to rest, and try to get a Stray Cat encounter to spawn so you can learn that ability for Gau shortly after). Sabin and Cyan are hugely useful in the upcoming Narshe battle that can be rough for a first timer.

-Locke's scenario after you get Celes, if you want to use those two any time soon

-Any time after you start getting Espers and can attach their bonuses to level-ups. I'd say some levels around Zozo and then some more levels after the Magitek Factory and you're good for a while.

-Darill's Tomb (about 60% through the game) is a deceptively hard dungeon in this version for some reason, so once you have four characters before that don't be afraid to level them up a bit.