Final Fantasy VII Remake

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Guarantee this is ff15 skinned for ff7. Not sure why combat is surprising to anyone that played ff15

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Yup, that's exactly what it felt like. I fucking hated FF15 as well. Oh well, just more greedy hacks ruining the good shit I enjoyed as a kid

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Maybe I should play the demo, to actually feel the combat, but it looked a lot better than what XV's was.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
It's a solid choice to go the opposite way of Utnayan seeing as he has an absolutely shit taste in games and thinks that anyone who doesn't share an opinion with him is a paid shill.

Reminder that he spent 4 days solid trying to post gotcha evidence that I was actually a paid influencer here. He's a drunk liar (still no cheque faggot) with shit taste, disregard his opinion and move on.

I appreciate him for the occasional reality check to not get hype suckered.

I think this game is going to own tho.

• 2Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Maybe I should play the demo, to actually feel the combat, but it looked a lot better than what XV's was.

It was worse.

I played through and completed FF15. This system they have now with not only abilities greyed out but items themselves is ridiculous. (As Dioblaire Dioblaire mentioned) Not to mention the time you want to use another party members abilities and those are grayed out because they have already been used by the AI when you are controlling cloud. I want to use a party member's lightning ability here, Whoops! Can't. The AI already must have used an item to heal himself so the AB is depleted. Guess I will check back later in the fight! So I was going back to R2 every 5 seconds. "Is it up yet?? can I use it yet??"

You are definitely more neutral in your stance in this and I admittedly hate the business ethic they are trying to produce here, and I guarantee you that sways my opinion even though I am actively trying not to let that happen. Objectively taking out the business ethic SE is about, the combat was at least responsive. The problem will lie with ATB and if that can be controlled in a menu system (I looked but didn't see it) so you can leverage a party member's ability that directly effects a weakness in a mini boss/boss encounter by altering it's obvious excessive use outside of your control.

Again, this type of system is how it is laid out shows me that there was hardly any testing done for feasibility in designing boss encounters, or the pure aspect of fun while trying to defeat them. Had this been a turn based system it would be infinitely more playable in this regard. Instead, 99% of the time I was mashing square (Even when I was in mini boss fight(s) because I couldn't activate party abilities anyhow because the AI blew ATB for me while I was mashing square :p

The lack of that testing shows once again this was rushed out the door.

Last edited:

Chris

Potato del Grande
Combat system is similar to the original, you just get to do some manual attacks and dodges while waiting for your ATB gauge to fill instead of standing there doing nothing. You need ATB to use items in every other turn based FF game what's the problem?

Not to mention the time you want to use another party members abilities and those are grayed out because they have already been used by the AI when you are controlling cloud. I want to use a party member's lightning ability here, Whoops! Can't. The AI already must have used an item to heal himself so the AB is depleted. Guess I will check back later in the fight! So I was going back to R2 every 5 seconds. "Is it up yet?? can I use it yet??"
I don't think that's true.

I never had Barret use a potion on himself or cast Thunder by himself. I always had to manually use his ATB bar. Same with Cloud when I controlled Barret.

Did you have it on easy mode?

• 2Like

Merrith

It was worse.

I played through and completed FF15. This system they have now with not only abilities greyed out but items themselves is ridiculous. (As Dioblaire Dioblaire mentioned) Not to mention the time you want to use another party members abilities and those are grayed out because they have already been used by the AI when you are controlling cloud. I want to use a party member's lightning ability here, Whoops! Can't. The AI already must have used an item to heal himself so the AB is depleted. Guess I will check back later in the fight! So I was going back to R2 every 5 seconds. "Is it up yet?? can I use it yet??"

You are definitely more neutral in your stance in this and I admittedly hate the business ethic they are trying to produce here, and I guarantee you that sways my opinion even though I am actively trying not to let that happen. Objectively taking out the business ethic SE is about, the combat was at least responsive. The problem will lie with the AB and if that can be controlled in a menu system (I looked but didn't see it) so you can leverage a party member's ability that directly effects a weakness in a mini boss/boss encounter.

Again, this type of system is how it is laid out shows me that there was hardly any testing done for feasibility in designing boss encounters, or the pure aspect of fun while trying to defeat them. Had this been a turn based system it would be infinitely more playable in this regard. Instead, 99% of the time I was mashing square (Even when I was in mini boss fight(s) because I couldn't activate party abilities anyhow because the AI blew the action bar for me while I was mashing square :p

The lack of that testing shows once again this was rushed out the door.

This makes me want to play the demo, I could imagine the party members you weren't controlling using items to heal (although, I don't think that's a bad thing I'd be much more likely to forget to heal them with their ATB charges by overcasting their Lightning spell or whatever), but I thought during the E3 presentation they said ones you weren't controlling would be saving ATB chargers for you to either take control of them and use actively or give them commands to use them as you see fit. Watching people play it on streams last night, the combat looked a lot better than how XV's felt, if that makes sense. I swear I saw people in demos able to use Barrett's Thunder against the boss without issue when needed.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Combat system is similar to the original, you just get to do some manual attacks and dodges while waiting for your ATB gauge to fill instead of standing there doing nothing. You need ATB to use items in every other turn based FF game what's the problem?

I don't think that's true.

I never had Barret use a potion on himself or cast Thunder by himself. I always had to manually use his ATB bar. Same with Cloud when I controlled Barret.

Did you have it on easy mode?

Nope. Had it on normal. Now, I am not sure what was going on here, but every time I hit R2 to try to use lightning on the mini boss, it was greyed out. Is ATB pooled to the party or are they separate to the party members?

Chris

Potato del Grande
Nope. Had it on normal. Now, I am not sure what was going on here, but every time I hit R2 to try to use lightning on the mini boss, it was greyed out. Is ATB tied to Cloud or are they separate?
Barret has his own ATB gauge. If you are not controlling him it fills more slowly though.

I tended to find that it was enough to use potions periodically, but on that fight, yeah I wasn't using a lot of lightning.

I feel like I used it more on the main boss so maybe damage charges it too.

I think stuff like that is just learning the system, it's probably a good thing you are encouraged to switch to Barret and use him for a while to charge ATB for Thunder. Otherwise it's just mashing buttons on Cloud. I can see it being quite tactical once you need to be using healers.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Barret has his own ATB gauge. If you are not controlling him it fills more slowly though.

I tended to find that it was enough to use potions periodically, but on that fight, yeah I wasn't using a lot of lightning.

I feel like I used it more on the main boss so maybe damage charges it too.

I think stuff like that is just learning the system, it's probably a good thing you are encouraged to switch to Barret and use him for a while to charge ATB for Thunder. Otherwise it's just mashing buttons on Cloud. I can see it being quite tactical once you need to be using healers.

Copy. I'll give it another shot.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I think something was off there bc while I wasn’t great at it, I was nowhere near using ATB effectively or efficiently. I couldn’t get binding abilities to work on shortcuts and also completely forgot there were regular “abilities” that weren’t spells since I started feeling mana starved. Still don’t like the smash square part though.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider

This is kinda what I was wondering about, how is it any different than standing waiting for the ATB to fill up to do anything else? Other than FF15 where you could mash circle almost the entire game with some dodges thrown in.

Chris

Potato del Grande
This is kinda what I was wondering about, how is it any different than standing waiting for the ATB to fill up to do anything else? Other than FF15 where you could mash circle almost the entire game with some dodges thrown in.
Yeah you can't just bash attack, I used a whole lot of potions and needed to use magic and abilities on the sweepers, guard scorpion and shock troops.

Malakriss

Judging by the comments there is a fight or two that applies status effects, possibly either Fury or Berserk and that might be why abilities were not usable on a party member.

• 1Like

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Played thru via both combat systems, why does Manual mode set it too easy ?(Might just be a beta thing, will see)

Really enjoyed Active(though i had some combos going off also but I guess they are not in this version, barret/cloud would just stand there and almost T-stance, haha)

• 1Like

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
If classic mode was full on dq11 jrpg combat I'd be so stoked. But mashing square feels real dumb. I also hope it gets a slider for combat speed.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
The combat reminded me more of Kingdom Hearts 3 than Final Fantasy XV

the voice actor for Wedge (the big chunky guy in the demo) is Badger from Breaking Bad

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Looked decent, hated the combat system. Hard pass until all the episodes are released and bundled at a reasonable price.

If I get the itch to play it I'll just play the original until then.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Aazrael

I see people making fun of "journalists" that said it was too hard. I felt the last boss was hard or maybe I just played the game wrong or I'm just too old (or both).