Final Fantasy VII Remake

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Demo killed my interest in getting the game but will probably pick up the soundtrack if they don't put it on spotify. They really did an amazing job with this full orchestra remix.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
That's a web site sponsor, but would be curious to see who sponsored Squarespace.
huh? do you not know how youtube guys work?

they make 10+ minute videos (b/c thats the magic length) and say "yo squarespace, gimme money and i will plug you at the beginning and end of the video"

squarespace "sure"!!!

did you think squarespace... is some new hippy version of squaresoft?

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
The complete dialogue set was hacked in the demo leak. With that, they estimated 45-50 minutes for the first chapter (Dead on) and also estimated 15 hours of main mission content for the entirety of the 18 chapters because SE left the game files in the demo at that time.

So far everything has been true with regards to the demo leak in January, and if they calculated the dialogue options correctly (Pretty sure they were smart enough to do this) you are looking at a 15 hour main mission game. Even defenders of the game here state that is going to be bullshit. (SE saying 60 hours)

I suggest waiting before purchase so you can verify that, because a week isn't going to kill you; rent the game, or wait for all episodes to come out and get the whole thing on sale for 40-50 bucks. Don't reward these cucks with poor business behavior and unethical practices. This will open up a can of worms which will infiltrate the industry faster than Todd Howard can say, "I should be in jail"
I've heard this before but nobody can provide the text, the script of the original game exists so it's not impossible to fake either. I want to see it to verify it.

The leak I saw was just images.

But yeah, wait for reviews is always good advice.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
I've heard this before but nobody can provide the text, the script of the original game exists so it's not impossible to fake either. I want to see it to verify it.

The leak I saw was just images.

But yeah, wait for reviews is always good advice.

I get it. But the leak was correct in:

1) 1080p30
2) The length of the Demo and what it section it entailed.
3) SE left the full game files in the leak when obviously someone messed up there.

They had access to full dialogue and estimated it. Could it have been faked? Of course. Is it likely faked? No. Why? Because everything in that leak has come true up to this point now that the demo is out. Now, I agree there would be a flaw in estimated length of chapters based on the first being 45 minutes, but the dialogue keys and story were there (like you said, could have been faked) along with the PC version being a release date of March 2021 (Which I believe will be pushed to April 2021 with a year exclusivity to Sony and the subsequent delay of the title) Either way, up to this point, they nailed exactly what would be in the demo two months before it came out.

Like you said, wait for reviews and everyone can see for themselves. With SE's track record lately, I do not see them stop starting a game 3 years ago and coming up with 60 hours of content when they couldn't do that over 10 years and an iteration of Versus XIII being changed over to FF15 and only coming up with 40 in that. None of this adds up.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Also Chris Chris there is a lot of stuff here, but doesn't include the dialogue. Does include someof the weapons attributes, and also includes a chapter list.

(Spoilers obviously)

Most pics were taken down by SE. Some hosted them on their own and saved them. Also includes all materia lists and effects. There is a metric shit town of info here.

This may help you see just how bad this leak was.

Pretty sure since they have limit break assignments, items, skills, scut scenes, chapter list, Christ read it for yourself how detailed that leak is, they have a good idea when people know its about a 15 hour main quest from start to finish without side quests and it was padded with mini games. Obviously they could have pulled an FF15 here too and arbitrarily used a month to develop a much longer and tedius chapter in here (Ala what was it, chapter 13 I think in FF15? I forgot which chapter it was that they reverted back because of complaints) but for the most part, this thing has literally been ripped to shreds because the full game got leaked in that demo. Down to the fucking command lines.

Last edited:

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
First comment: "Thanks to Squarespace for sponsoring this video. "

That's a web site sponsor, but would be curious to see who sponsored Squarespace.

Also, if you look, you will see the same 3 hour "Awesome" previews on every gaming site all saying the same thing in different wording. Be careful out there folks - crazy times with media :)

Oh I'm sure more than a few of these guys got sponsored by some entity related to Square for their reviews, but some of these guys doing stuff on stream and what not who got to see the extended build I feel like would be stating if they didn't like it. Max in particular mentioned he had a concern that what if the Demo was of good quality, but none of the rest of the game matches the first boss fight, etc. But when he got to play the extended build that some of them did with Chapter 2 and fights/stuff from later Chapters (seemed like they skipped some new story stuff between Chapters 2 and 7), he said that helped to alleviate those fears mostly.

Who knows, I thought the Demo looked great and that combat looked far superior to XV's, you didn't like it very much. Did you ever try playing it again to see if party members were still burning ATB charges btw?

Chris

Potato del Grande
Also Chris Chris there is a lot of stuff here, but doesn't include the dialogue. Does include someof the weapons attributes, and also includes a chapter list.

(Spoilers obviously)

Most pics were taken down by SE. Some hosted them on their own and saved them. Also includes all materia lists and effects. There is a metric shit town of info here.

This may help you see just how bad this leak was.

Pretty sure since they have limit break assignments, items, skills, scut scenes, chapter list, Christ read it for yourself how detailed that leak is, they have a good idea when people know its about a 15 hour main quest from start to finish without side quests and it was padded with mini games. Obviously they could have pulled an FF15 here too and arbitrarily used a month to develop a much longer and tedius chapter in here (Ala what was it, chapter 13 I think in FF15? I forgot which chapter it was that they reverted back because of complaints) but for the most part, this thing has literally been ripped to shreds because the full game got leaked in that demo. Down to the fucking command lines.

Read that before but I see the newer posts talking about the script, but no posting of the script.

Aren't the battles going to make the game longer too? The script alone can't say how long the game is.

Not saying it's long, but it's far from confirmed it's short.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Oh I'm sure more than a few of these guys got sponsored by some entity related to Square for their reviews, but some of these guys doing stuff on stream and what not who got to see the extended build I feel like would be stating if they didn't like it. Max in particular mentioned he had a concern that what if the Demo was of good quality, but none of the rest of the game matches the first boss fight, etc. But when he got to play the extended build that some of them did with Chapter 2 and fights/stuff from later Chapters (seemed like they skipped some new story stuff between Chapters 2 and 7), he said that helped to alleviate those fears mostly.

Who knows, I thought the Demo looked great and that combat looked far superior to XV's, you didn't like it very much. Did you ever try playing it again to see if party members were still burning ATB charges btw?

Not yet. I log online these days and get spammed invites to play other games lol. Hunt Showdown, Rocket League, Apex.... I need to log in offline one of these days so people do not know I am there ha! (I do not even know half the people inviting me, those must have been one hilarious batch of drunken game weekends)

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Read that before but I see the newer posts talking about the script, but no posting of the script.

Aren't the battles going to make the game longer too? The script alone can't say how long the game is.

Not saying it's long, but it's far from confirmed it's short.

I may be different in that I do not consider how long a battle takes should equate to content game time. One could develop a fight to last for 20 minutes - should that count as game content, or just pure frustration?

Chris

Potato del Grande
I may be different in that I do not consider how long a battle takes should equate to content game time. One could develop a fight to last for 20 minutes - should that count as game content, or just pure frustration?
Depends if it's fun or not.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Obviously combat counts for the clear times of a game. When you ask how long Dark Souls take to clear, do you think people say "well it's about 30mins of running around and story, rest is combat so it doesn't matter, totally not worth your time"? That's the dumbest shit I've read all day, granted it's still early. Hell the original FFVII had really long fights unless you used super cheese strats. A lot of boss fights were over 10mins with standard setup.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

Uh yes, game content. That doesn’t even make sense to say. No one says “FF7 was originally a 9 hour game if you remove all the combat time” they just say the /played timer.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
By that metric dark souls don’t have any content. I’m struggling with how dumb of a statement this is, you are usually better than this.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
Boss battle time? Yo if I can't get that one early X potion, then use it to one shot the boss of cosmo canyon. I'll be sad.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Heaven is having what they have now but replacing the combat system with God of War 2's combat system (yes, even with QTE) and making stuff scale in difficulty like that.
I hope Heaven is personalized because this sounds retarded

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Game sounds promising.

Still going to wait for this to release and be out a while before buying. Like many, FFVII was a great experience for me. It was my first FF game and it came out during a key point in my life.

But my hopium well has run dry from all of the other recent gaming failures. Not pre-ordering games any more or doing kickstarters. I'll wait for the after release reviews and inevitable updates to fix game breaking bugs. Don't have time for the BS anymore.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Hateyou Hateyou Pyros Pyros Ritley Ritley

This is complete apples to oranges here with game content and combat relative to Dark Souls and Final Fantasy. Dark Souls is a game where the combat is the central focus and combat fights and bosses ARE the content. The story is non existent and no one cares. The content IS fighting the difficult bosses. It's a staple to the series.

This is an RPG. The content is the story, questing, dialogue options, atmosphere, character development, side character arcs, varying areas, side quests, side questing unlockables, story connection points, varied and multiple original POI's, NPC Interactions, mini games, and yes, combat, which is also a mechanism used to consume ALL of the before mentioned.

If you honestly think an RPG stating 60 hours of content should consist of 40 hours of banging your head against the wall in artificially long boss fights in a limited zoned environment to hit a game played metric, I am not sure what to tell you. These two example genre's are COMPLETELY different and it is NOT a one size fits all.

Christ, using that metric I can create a game with one room that states I have 50 hours of content in it while you sit AFK for 49.9 hours banging away at a 10 Zillion HP Emperor Ssraesshza in a fucking corner.

Come on.

So yeah if you are going to count content as SE taking a month to inflate the living shit out of boss fights from 5 minutes to 40 minutes, and now it's a 40 hour game instead of 15, all the power to you in that pander. Or while I am at it just throw 500 trash mobs in the way of a player for a force clear in a 24x24 tiled section to get from point A to point B and I suppose you can call that "Content" as well right? Maybe I can toss you in on a huge map while you run from point A to point B and it takes 45 hours. 45 hours of content right?

Last edited:

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
This is complete apples to oranges here with game content and combat relative to Dark Souls and Final Fantasy. Dark Souls is a game where the combat is the central focus and combat fights and bosses ARE the content. The story is non existent and no one cares. The content IS fighting the difficult bosses. It's a staple to the series.

This is an RPG. The content is the story, questing, dialogue options, atmosphere, character development, side character arcs, varying areas, and yes, combat, which is also a mechanism used to consume ALL of the before mentioned.

If you honestly think an RPG stating 60 hours of content should consist of 40 hours of banging your head against the wall in artificially long boss fights in a limited zoned environment to hit a game played metric, I am not sure what to tell you. These two example genre's are COMPLETELY different and it is NOT a one size fits all.

Christ, using that metric I can create a game with one room that states I have 50 hours of content in it while you sit AFK for 49.9 hours banging away at a 10 Zillion HP Emperor Ssraesshza in a fucking corner.

Come on.

So yeah if you are going to count content as SE taking a month to inflate the living shit out of boss fights from 5 minutes to 40 minutes,, and now it's a 40 hour game instead of 15, all the power to you in that pander.
Took Dark Souls as an example because it was the first game that popped in my head that was almost entirely combat.

That said, FF7 is at most 15hours of story, quite likely less than that, and everything else is battles. And I mean the original, complete game. JRPGs are 70+% combat. Obviously the memorable parts are the story, characters and environements but most of what you're doing while playing the game is fighting enemies, which is why most of them have random battles and a bunch of them require that you fight a certain amount to keep up your levels so you can fight the mandatory bosses(so even games that let you skip battles either by having the battles being visible on the map or offering items to skip battles early-ish will still require you fight x amount of monsters constantly unless you use some cheese strat like you see often in speedruns and such).

FF games are heavily padded by combat, especially the older ones. If you don't count combat, I doubt a single one of them is over 20hours and a bunch are probably under 10hours. Ironically the more modern ones would probably be higher as they put more emphasis on cutscenes and running around than fighting.

So it's a terrible argument was my point. Saying "oh well they padded the numbers with more combat and I don't count combat as content" is a stupid take when that's every FF ever made, including golden age ones. It's possible they inflated it MORE THAN USUAL, but that's not really what you were saying earlier.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yeah I wonder how much play time Chrono Trigger is without fights. I'm a bit story guy, too, Ut for what it's worth...although I do find myself very interested in this combat system, because I think it COULD be a much better step/version of XV's shitty combat if they do it right. Another thing Max talked about was boss fights actually being challenging and what not. Maybe it's because I graduated to too many MMO's, but I wouldn't mind in the slightest if this more action oriented fighting actually caused some boss fights to feel pretty stiff.

• 1Like