Final Fantasy VII Remake

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
If we're being completely honest, they pretty much have to revamp the combat. It does not hold up. 45 minute long unskippable Knights of the Round cutscenes aren't going to fly today.

I'm betting they go with something more action oriented but not quite FF13 or 15. Maybe something more like 12.

But at this point, who really knows? Speculation is meaningless.
Summon animations have absolutely nothing to do with the combat. Nothing. Make it skippable, no one who wants turn based combat would care. That is such a retarded thing to latch onto and use as an example that the combat needs to change

You are basically saying that turn based (and their variants like ATB) RPGs "don't hold up", which is asinine. If this turns into another shitty action rpg then I won't even bother.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
You are basically saying that turn based (and their variants like ATB) RPGs "don't hold up", which is asinine.
Nothing asinine about it. The only games remotely close to that old style of game play that churn out lots of sales are Persona, and no one's buying it for the combat, they're buying it for the meta game, the dating sim aspect basically.

Sucks but its true.

Square Enix is doing this to make money. That's the unfortunate bottom line here. They want to sell a shit load of copies of this game, and a straight 1 to 1 remake without an update/revamp to the combat, from their point of view, isn't going to cut it sales wise.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
If they don't update the combat I'm going to be disappointed. Lots of potential there.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/fin.../1100-6429330/

"In terms of taking such an iconic game and giving it a fresh feel, we can't go into too much detail but we're not intending for this to become a one-to-one remake, or just the original Final Fantasy 7 with better graphics," he said.

"There are certain plot points we don't want to interfere with or disturb, nor will we want to change elements that fans have very big attachments to."

According to Nomura, the team is aiming to re-invent the game for a new generation of fans, but also make the experience fresh for fans of the original.

"My goal with the remake is to make it apply to the current era, the current generation of players that are going to be coming into contact with or playing Final Fantasy 7 for the first time through this remake.

"I want to make it so it's relevant to the modern era, as well as having an element of surprise. It has to be something that riles up this sense of wonder and amazement. I don't want to change it so much that it's unrecognisable, but make sure that it's something fresh and new [but still] recognisable as Final Fantasy 7. That's what I'll be keeping in mind as I work on this."

Nomura also discussed the difficulties in bringing a game which told its story primarily through text boxes in line with modern storytelling techniques, along with adding production effects.

"We're taking something that's text based with no voice over. If we add voice over to it, that will trigger some adjustments that need to be made to accommodate for that. Then, because we're making it in full HD, we'll need to think about all the resources that are needed to populate the screen.

"We'd need to go in and see what needs adjusting in that aspect. It's like a chain of events; 'OK, we're going to revamp this part, what do we need?', and see if there are any changes that creates. As I say, we can't go into the specifics at this point but we'll need to revisit elements within the game to see what is appropriate."

Nomura previously suggested that Final Fantasy 7's story could deviate from the original at E3. Speaking to GameSpot, he said that the upcoming PC-to-PS4 re-release of the classic Final Fantasy 7 would be available for those looking to relive the exact same experience.
Nomura basically saying exactly what I just said. They already have to change the game to tell the story with voice acting and full cut scenes, rather than text boxes. The game is not going to be like the near 1 to 1 remakes of 1-5 that came to PC and PSP and Android and iOS over the past six or seven years or so.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Well maybe when they successfully recapture the mediocrity of the original with a whole new level of mediocre uninspired gameplay, and trash the game everybody loves to fanboy over so hard, people will finally realize all the talent behind the early quality of Final Fantasy is long gone.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Final Fantasy 7 isn't memorable because of its excellent gameplay or something Gav. Everyone with half a brain knows that.

The game was revolutionary, and is one of the games that ushered in the modern era of vidya. That's why it's so we'll loved and remembered.

I hope they do the experience justice.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yes, it ushered in a whole new era, where final fantasy games were shitty instead of awesome.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
Someone's still mad that it's VII and not VI that everyone wanted a remake of.
biggrin.png

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
FF6 in general had a better combat/magic system, much greater story, better villain (poisoned that water supply LOL), and the cast was mostly lovable.

FF7 for me is right behind 6, it's just people love to bash it because they probably got tired of seeing XxSephiroth98xX and shit. If they think it was a terrible game they probably enjoy sucking diseased dicks for fun.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
I never got the VI Hype. I liked it but I place it somewhere in the middle. I'm also one of the few who didn't think that Kefka was a great villain. I also think that their reliance on such a large cast was a mistake. I never really felt close to anyone since there were so many party members to choose from. It also didn't help me that after you acquire Espers everyone is capable of being Top Tier Fighter Mages so it seemed that there were a lot of characters but they all were pretty similar. But it was still miles above some of the other FFs in the series.

I can understand why they don't want to do a simple "Attack, Magic, Item, Defend, Flee" turn based combat in the remake of VII. In the PS4 age it would appear to be dated and a lot of people might not like it after so many twitch combat games (even in RPGs). I can understand that but I'm not one of those people who would hate the system (I'm old I guess). VII was a very story driven game and that story still holds up today even if the graphics don't. As long as the story and the rest of the gameplay is solid, I don't mind a turn based, tactical, style RPG similar to the older games. But I don't think we'll ever see those types of games again out of major studios. I think there's a feeling that going back to such a system would be wasting a console's potential and a lot of gamers wouldn't stand for such an archaic model.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Someone's still mad that it's VII and not VI that everyone wanted a remake of.
biggrin.png
Actually I think 4 was the best, and it got a magnificent remake for the DS, as well as a charming little sequel that I need to finish.

and I don't think 7 was terrible by any means, but it was mediocre and overhyped, and the start of the entire series descent into suckitude.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Actually I think 4 was the best, and it got a magnificent remake for the DS, as well as a charming little sequel that I need to finish.

and I don't think 7 was terrible by any means, but it was mediocre and overhyped, and the start of the entire series descent into suckitude.
FF2/4 is my favorite FF as well.

Its also the first one I played from beginning to end, so that might be why that is.

Siliconemelons

I hate that "gamers now days" place combat systems with certain visual styles etc. We can have turn based RPG's as long as they are 16/8bit retro's or artistic 2d (i.e Child of Light) we will give these games high praise and all that stuff, but OMG a 3d game?! it CANT HAVE a ARCHAIC turn based combat system!

6's large cast of characters is what made the game so awesome and I feel each one of them had personality that was defined a ton even outside of their "combat self" - and also the first good 1/2 or 1/3 of the game was done before "the system" was even available and their characters had their defined combat roles to help cement themselves as the story got going - who they are in combat is not their defining character traits like it is in many games now days.

As for Kefka, while he is not as "cool" as Sepheroth imo he is one of the best villains- he manipulates, schemas, commits genocide and murders wantonly - he kills his essential family (emperor etc.) he corrupts a government from the inside all the way up into a dictatorship (we see from Leo. Cid etc. that The Empire while evil-questionable was not always super mad / insane etc. and seemed to have a motive outside total domination, murder and crazy) He is the one villain that actually succeeds in destroying the world and killing an entire race of people and driving our heroes to depression, giving up and committing suicide. To take him down it didn't take 3 or 4 ultra powerful guys, it took 12 or more of insanely beastly powerful characters to take him down finally...and then what? You have to get back to a scorched world and rebuild- its not a happy ending, its a Mad Max opening.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
I have a soft spot for IV because I just loved the shit out of that game, it's probably my favorite. Objectively VI is the best though, in scope, in story and in gameplay.

Nothing VII did improved on VI except for graphics.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I hate that "gamers now days" place combat systems with certain visual styles etc. We can have turn based RPG's as long as they are 16/8bit retro's or artistic 2d (i.e Child of Light) we will give these games high praise and all that stuff, but OMG a 3d game?! it CANT HAVE a ARCHAIC turn based combat system!
I really think its more about technical capabilities than it is necessarily visual styles. If you're churning out a game in RPG maker, then RPG maker style combat is acceptable. If you're turning out a game that looks like Square Enix in 2015 made it, it needs to play that way as well.

Pretty graphics are nice and all, but having to sit and watch a 15 to 30 second attack animation play out after slapping a single button once a half minute simply isn't entertaining any more to a lot of people.

FF 13's combat was pretty awful, but 13-2 fixed a lot of the problems with it. I couldn't believe it when it happened, but I actually played 13-2 all the way to the end. I didn't 100% it and clear all the special high level bosses you can do by going back into the zones and all that, but I did play it from start to finish and enjoyed the shit out of it.

Siliconemelons

I have a soft spot for IV because I just loved the shit out of that game, it's probably my favorite. Objectively VI is the best though, in scope, in story and in gameplay.

Nothing VII did improved on VI except for graphics.
FF's tend to unofficially remake themselves, more or less in "type of story" - FF2 and FF4 are essentially the same, FF3 and FF5 are similar in plot and combat system, 8, 9 and 10 are all "love stories" in their core and well... everything after X imo is rubbish.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
12 is the first one I actually played start to finish since 7. Haven't played 13-2 or 13-3 though, got all the way to right near the end of 10 twice and just got sick of it.

Siliconemelons

12 is the first one I actually played start to finish since 7. Haven't played 13-2 or 13-3 though, got all the way to right near the end of 10 twice and just got sick of it.
You don't need to beat 10's "game" to complete the "game" as by then the resolution really of the "story" / "love story" has happened - or just watch the ending cinematic and your good... the actual fight and mechanics to me, lend nothing / little to the feeling and resolution of the "game"