Final Fantasy VII Remake

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Legend of Zelda is an open world game. Saying the original FFVII was close to open world makes me question what the heck your definition is. And I still haven't really gotten an answer, it's important to be able to travel all over and effectively do nothing?
Watch the video.

To help us both out, what's your definition of an open world game?

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Your video at :55.
...so a game can have no directed narrative elements at all to be open world? The video spends the next 10 minutes expanding on the very general definition he presents in the opening minute.

I just took over The Commonwealth, so Fallout 4 isn't an open world game? What are some open world games in your mind?

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
...so a game can have no directed narrative elements at all to be open world? The video spends the next 10 minutes expanding on the very general definition he presents in the opening minute.

I just took over The Commonwealth, so Fallout 4 isn't an open world game? What are some open world games in your mind?
FFS that's not what I said and not what your video said. I'm not doing this anymore, you are all over the place where one second it's open world because it won't have a top down map and then it's open world when you can go backwards so basically any game that isn't Super Mario Bros.

If you are using a definition so broad as to make FFVII an open world game, then I really have no idea what you are talking about. You stated the reason FFVII wasn't as open as it could have been was technical limitations, but based of definitions you've chosen at one point Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior were more open world than VII was so I really just have no basic idea what you are saying.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Sorry you're confused dude... But this isn't that complicated.

Edit: Hmmm re-read the conversation. Maybe I should be using the terms 'scale' and 'free-roaming' in regards to FF7:R's overworld to avoid confusion. Just didn't think I'd have to when conversing with other gamers in 2015. My bad I guess.

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
Square Exec1: "How could we sell this game for $120 or $180 instead of $60?"

Square Exec2: "We have a lot of rabid fanboys, but $60 is the standard price of a game. Charging double or triple the price may require too much PR."

Square PR: "Three words for you: multi-part release. Each segment costs $60. Like we did with FFXIII, and customers loved that model!"

Square Exec1: "Genius! Great job Square PR, enjoy your holiday bonus."

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Well I bet GameStop is pumped at least hahaha. I'm sure they loved hearing that FF7:R is probably gonna do a billion+ in revenue.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Square Exec1: "How could we sell this game for $120 or $180 instead of $60?"

Square Exec2: "We have a lot of rabid fanboys, but $60 is the standard price of a game. Charging double or triple the price may require too much PR."

Square PR: "Three words for you: multi-part release. Each segment costs $60. Like we did with FFXIII, and customers loved that model!"

Square Exec1: "Genius! Great job Square PR, enjoy your holiday bonus."
Considering a ton of people always clamored they'd buy a FF7 remake for 120-150bucks, it seems logical. Can always just wait it out and buy the shit when it's on sale later on for 60bucks or less if you don't want to spend more. Unlike a multiplayer FPS like say Battlefield Starwars where you definitely want to get the game and DLC asap to play with everyone else while the game isn't dead, this is a single player RPG, you could literally buy it 3years after it releases and it still would be relevant. And if you could wait 15years for the remake or however long it's been, you can probably wait 1-2years more to buy the whole thing when it's on sale.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Considering a ton of people always clamored they'd buy a FF7 remake for 120-150bucks, it seems logical. Can always just wait it out and buy the shit when it's on sale later on for 60bucks or less if you don't want to spend more. Unlike a multiplayer FPS like say Battlefield Starwars where you definitely want to get the game and DLC asap to play with everyone else while the game isn't dead, this is a single player RPG, you could literally buy it 3years after it releases and it still would be relevant. And if you could wait 15years for the remake or however long it's been, you can probably wait 1-2years more to buy the whole thing when it's on sale.
People are gay for this game but I still can't imagine they would pay $150 just for a remake. I mean, they are probably going to have the option now.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
People are gay for this game but I still can't imagine they would pay $150 just for a remake. I mean, they are probably going to have the option now.
Oh a lot of people would. And a lot of people will when it has new content and is spaced over say a year or whatever their schedule is. It's a lot easier to justify paying 150$ over a year than in one big bulk. Hell for all we know, it might even be worth the money. 150$ is 2games, if they add enough content you might end up with 2game's worth pretty easily, which wouldn't be a bad deal.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
...sad to say, but this game will probably cost me a lot more than $150 total. I'll buy the collector's physical big-dick-shwag edition for every episode.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I can honestly say that there is not a single "open world" game that is all that memorable to me. The closest would be witcher 3 which everyone here claims isn't open world.

Give me a game with memorable characters and a strong plot over 200 hours of killing random shit for no reason a la skyrim. Which is not to say that they aren't fun, but the constant derision of games that are even somewhat linear has gotten ridiculous.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
People who say The Witcher 3 isn't open world probably breathe through their mouths, and are into butt-chugging Listerine.

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
I can honestly say that there is not a single "open world" game that is all that memorable to me. The closest would be witcher 3 which everyone here claims isn't open world.

Give me a game with memorable characters and a strong plot over 200 hours of killing random shit for no reason a la skyrim. Which is not to say that they aren't fun, but the constant derision of games that are even somewhat linear has gotten ridiculous.
Just Cause 3 is an open-world game where you can use a grappling hook to tether cows to giant fans, choppers together and to the ground, statue heads to planes, dudes to flying gas cannisters. Your character is Rico fucking Rodriguez, the most badass mercenary in the world. Your task is to destroy AN ISLAND's worth of civilization and military forces. And you can do it by throwing cows at buildings or grappling old ladies to cars. Your argument is invalid.

Sulrn

Deuces
Just Cause 3 is an open-world game where you can use a grappling hook to tether cows to giant fans, choppers together and to the ground, statue heads to planes, dudes to flying gas cannisters. Your character is Rico fucking Rodriguez, the most badass mercenary in the world. Your task is to destroy AN ISLAND's worth of civilization and military forces. And you can do it by throwing cows at buildings or grappling old ladies to cars. Your argument is invalid.
JC3 is also getting torn apart on YouTube worse than FO4 is for mostly the same reasons. Having a flashy fairground isn't all that impressive when it's composed entirely of flashy lights and little to no rides, less so when you realize that in order to get access to playing with the flashy lights you have to steal the security guards' keys to maximize full potential (ie hack the game).

Chris

Potato del Grande
The fuck? An open world game is like zelda or grand theft auto where everything is joined up at the same scale, FF7 has a glorified level select screen as a world map.

Simas_sl

shitlord
I'm not excited about the episodic release, but as long as the wait between episodes isn't too long it won't bother me that much. I'm definitely buying it either way. I just hope the releases are separated by two to four months, not a year or something like that.

Sidian

Lord Nagafen Raider
The other shitty part is, me being a rabid ff7 fanboy that will actually want the discs (or hell the collectors edition with fan art and music cd and action figure and whatever else the fuck they throw in) will I even be able to buy the games disc after disc or will it be some type of digital only until all episodes are out where then they'll include it all on one ps4 disc. I mean, ffx/ffx2 and unchartered 1,2,3 all on one disc is really damn nice.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Sums it up.
Dec 07 2015 2010_zps4ohuymac.gif