Final Fantasy VII Remake

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Preload is available, it looks like 12:00 AM ET will be the confirmed launch time in 48 hours. Better than 3 AM that's for sure.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I started playing remake in preparation for rebirth. Did it on easy mode and just main scenario no side quests.

I’m at chapter 14 in about 13 hours so should be done in time for rebirth.

I’m so hyped. I have nothing else to play until Dragon Dogma 2 so a month to put into rebirth, so plenty of time for a good thorough play through.

Did the same, I'm at chapter 9 in about 6 hours. I think I'm about a third of the way* so I might be able to get it done by Thursday morning but we'll see.

* - IMO the first act ends when you meet Aerith in the church, and the second act ends when they arrive at Shinra Tower. That place is humongous.

Playing on easy and the game is waaaaay easier than I remember overall. So far nothing has posed any particular threat, and elemental weaknesses pretty much decimate everything. Especially Lightning, tons of foes weak to that. Even boss HP gets gouged by the right elemental attack.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Censorship complaints on one hand, Asmon saying it's the other way around. All the mods got broken? That's kind of standard for games doing updates.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Did the same, I'm at chapter 9 in about 6 hours. I think I'm about a third of the way* so I might be able to get it done by Thursday morning but we'll see.

* - IMO the first act ends when you meet Aerith in the church, and the second act ends when they arrive at Shinra Tower. That place is humongous.

Playing on easy and the game is waaaaay easier than I remember overall. So far nothing has posed any particular threat, and elemental weaknesses pretty much decimate everything. Especially Lightning, tons of foes weak to that. Even boss HP gets gouged by the right elemental attack.
only mob I lost to was that damn 6 wheel robot while on a bike. That's almost a different game.

Also I broke down last night and pre-ordered it, almost DL now. 128gb of 145.

Siliconemelons

Honest question.

how is this game meant to be /understood/ in terms of lore and plot line.

I know (and don’t like that it is) that it is not a “remake” of the original 7 and even its auxiliaries such as Crisis Core, Dirge and Advent.

However, it is to be a completely “new” thing, and as the player take everything that happens as just that, within its own aspect of itself…

OR as the player are we to have knowledge of “the OG” story and events and we are to experience this new stuff within the aspect of the older events.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
However, it is to be a completely “new” thing, and as the player take everything that happens as just that, within its own aspect of itself…

OR as the player are we to have knowledge of “the OG” story and events and we are to experience this new stuff within the aspect of the older events.

Think of it as an alternate timeline where everything is supposed to happen the same, but the original Sephiroth got there via life stream shenanigans and he's trying to alter destiny so things go better for him. It's alluded that Aerith probably also knows what's going on because of her connection to the life stream.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
We don't know yet, it's likely some kind of time loop or multiverse thing.

I hope that the OG game is the original events and holy being set off caused a time loop with the planet testing humanity to see if it is worthy to survive?

Siliconemelons

Wonder if when Cloud enters the life stream if anything will happen in terms of “understanding” also… I haven’t played either remake outside some of the first demo

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Honest question.

I know (and don’t like that it is) that it is not a “remake” of the original 7 and even its auxiliaries such as Crisis Core, Dirge and Advent.

I think it's both?

New players can enjoy the story for what it is. Bad guy messing with world, there seem to be some other timeline with some other people. That's where new players are. "Who is this guy they are zooming into at the end? Guess we will learn later."

As players who have played the FF7, what we know so far (which is most likely accurate)

- Events of FF7 happened
- Events of Advent Children happened
- Sephiroth found a way to travel back in time to the start of FF 7
- Sephiroth is the only one who knows this (except perhaps Aerith at the end of remake)
- Sephiroth gets you to kill the whispers/fate which are there to protect the timeline of the world and lifestream
- Fight with fate happens in a different zone/dimension (edge of time?). Killing fate there does so in every "timeline".

Think that's about it. They can't "tease" changes anymore though. Like in Remake in the later chapters where Barret gets stabbed, or when they are running on the road, the car is about to get crushed, both times saved by whispers. Whispers aren't around anymore to keep OG plotline intact. I think that is the main difference between new players, and people who know the story. Not everything changes, but everything can change.

(23 hours 17 minutes until launch!)

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm assuming this game will give a little more clarity on exactly how it's meant to be understood...but I would bet heavily on them still attempting to maintain some "mystery" going into the 3rd and final part b/c they clearly loved all the theory-crafting and guessing about what was going to happen after Remake. The trailers do heavily imply there is some sort of multiple timelines going on, at the very least.

Rude

Potato del Grande
Censorship complaints on one hand, Asmon saying it's the other way around. All the mods got broken? That's kind of standard for games doing updates.

According to this, pedo-virgins need to relax as SE is just bringing Tifa in line with her Rebirth appearance. I doubt they'll day 1 patch rebirth, that would give Asmongold two big reasons to shit all over the game.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Looks like absolutely nobody is doing midnight launches anymore. Gamestop (well, the few that are still open) is a no go for this and any other games in the forseeable future. Yowzers.

So the only way to play this at midnight is to digital-buy it. If you're not doing that, and I'm not, then you gotta wait until Thursday morning. I'm on a pretty late schedule lately so this is lame for me. Ah well.

• 1Pathetic

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
IMG_0713.jpeg

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Waiting on this shit like the first day in a new MMO!

also i so want to press spoiler button but i will regret it

• 1Like

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
Waiting on this shit like the first day in a new MMO!

also i so want to press spoiler button but i will regret it

It is the last line from the first FF7R game. They pushed a patch to edit the last line this week.

• 2Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Last line of the game.

That's super weird. Wonder why they'd make a change like that. Unless the changed line is supposed to be some kind of ominous portent? I don't see how it might relate to the new game or why they had to go back and patch this one particular thing.

Did Chapter 8 and 9 tonight, which took nearly as long as 1-7 combined. Doubt I'll make it to the end in time before Thursday. Chapter 10 is the sewer and I hate it and it just kinda made me turn the game off. Then again, Tifa and Aerith's bromance really shines in chapters 10 and 11.

Tomorrow's a sick day so maybe I will get there in time, who knows. Very unlikely. I guess I don't really need to redo Shinra Tower and definitely don't need to redo the last chapter.

• 1Pathetic

joz123

Potato del Grande
That's super weird. Wonder why they'd make a change like that. Unless the changed line is supposed to be some kind of ominous portent? I don't see how it might relate to the new game or why they had to go back and patch this one particular thing.

Did Chapter 8 and 9 tonight, which took nearly as long as 1-7 combined. Doubt I'll make it to the end in time before Thursday. Chapter 10 is the sewer and I hate it and it just kinda made me turn the game off. Then again, Tifa and Aerith's bromance really shines in chapters 10 and 11.

Tomorrow's a sick day so maybe I will get there in time, who knows. Very unlikely. I guess I don't really need to redo Shinra Tower and definitely don't need to redo the last chapter.
They changed the dialogue to match the Japanese translation better.

Chris

Potato del Grande
They changed the dialogue to match the Japanese translation better.
It makes more sense because they ruined the "steel sky" of Midgar in the remake.

The OG only had you look down fair enough, but it seemed like Midgar was always in darkness, especially the slums. Even on the world map the sky darkened when you flew over it.

So they either needed bigger plates so the sky wasn't visible, or an artificially cloudy/darkened sky from the power plants.

As it was, it was fucking bright!

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It makes more sense because they ruined the "steel sky" of Midgar in the remake.

The OG only had you look down fair enough, but it seemed like Midgar was always in darkness, especially the slums. Even on the world map the sky darkened when you flew over it.

So they either needew bigger plates so the sky wasn't visible, or an artificially cloudy/darkened sky from the power plants.

As it was, it was fucking bright!
Yeah I remember flying over midgar in the High wind too and watching the air change. Steel sky wasn't just a reference to the slums, it was also about the people on the plate looking at mako exhaust

(Not being a bleeding heart here, but all of us can agree that living in the grey Beijing skies would be decidedly unpleasant)

• 2Like