Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

khorum

Murder Apologist
if I'm reading this right in the wiki, I still have like 109 more msq quests to go before I get to start Heavensward lol... OMG... (>.<)

It's a loooong way. You'll never want to go back to Waking Sands ever again.

misery

Bronze Knight of the Realm
It's a loooong way. You'll never want to go back to Waking Sands ever again.

• 7Worf
Reactions: 6 users

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
The level 80 DRK quest is really good. As much as I dislike a lot of the writing in this game, the DRK quests have a habit of being phenomenal.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
I know I'm kinda late but joined a Innocence extreme practice party and it was alot of fun learning the fight. Finally got a decent ilvl of 435 to try getcmy feet wet in extremes and still have two more pieces to upgrade to 440. Our best attempt was 8% and we started really late, think about 2am so many people were tired and sleepy. I learned alot just by spending about 2 hours running it ⁰blind and watching videos beforehand. Think we would of cleared it if people did a better job spreading out and not overlapping markers blowing players up. I was tanking it on my pld and the tank swap macro which automatically shirks the 2nd party member which happens to be other tank helps out. I really enjoy tanking raids in FFXIV than I did in WoW.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Right clicking someone's name and clicking Invite when chat is flying by at like 75mph could arguably be MORE of a pain in the ass.

I agree in a perfect world PF's would be fastest. Legit complaining it's too hard to right click invite people in shout chat is amusing, though.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
You think that's late. I'm not even 80 yet
Don't make the mistake I made. I would of been doing extremes sooner if my dumb ass would of remembered about the NPC in Tempest that gives out 430 gear. By running duties and trying to save up tomestones I wasted alot days. I could of just jumped right into extremes at 80 but I was running dungeons nonstop in whites and greens trying to get better gear. Smdh.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I mean you still have over 2 weeks to be ready for Savage if that's what you want, it's not like there's a big hurry to run EX fights asap(although clear rate in pubs tends to go down over time I guess).

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I mean you still have over 2 weeks to be ready for Savage if that's what you want, it's not like there's a big hurry to run EX fights asap(although clear rate in pubs tends to go down over time I guess).
Yeah the goal is savage, just trying to get caught. My real goal is to be pretty geared when they come out on warrior and hopefully gnb

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Once I get a few Innocence kills I'm gonna work on Thotiana for my weapon drop. From what I hear she's the more difficult encounter.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah the goal is savage, just trying to get caught. My real goal is to be pretty geared when they come out on warrior and hopefully gnb
Well tanks share gear so being geared on 2 is more or less the same as one, besides the lvling. Just need an additional weapon but you can just use 10tokens to buy it.

Once I get a few Innocence kills I'm gonna work on Thotiana for my weapon drop. From what I hear she's the more difficult encounter.
She is, but not very much so. Just mistakes are most costly on it, if you fuck up tethers you can kill someone else too, if too many DPS die you fail the add phase and wipe, if people derp you can have everyone die during lightning shit etc. There's more mechanics that are like exploding starbirths you shouldn't and killing everyone basically, but otherwise it's not super hard, there's only a couple of moments where you have to think about what to do, the rest is literally just going through the motions and if you know what's next there's 0 surprises. But people are still shit at it.

misery

Bronze Knight of the Realm
How are tanks doing this expansion? Which tanks are in the best spot right now? I'd like to level one, but I have no preference. I'd just rather level the one that's whooping a hearty helping of ass right now.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
How are tanks doing this expansion? Which tanks are in the best spot right now? I'd like to level one, but I have no preference. I'd just rather level the one that's whooping a hearty helping of ass right now.
Paladin which I play are really in a nice spot. Lots of raid utility and their damage is pretty high which I think will get nerfed. They have a fuckton of defensive cooldowns and party ones too. Shelltron is amazing when you get the trait makes it last for 6 secs. If you want a tanky tank with good dps paladin is the way to go. You cant go wrong with one.

I'm also leveling my Gunbreaker and they do very good dps for a tank. I'm really impressed with their damage. They seem like a mixture between a paladin and warrior. Good defensive and great dps. I can't comment too much cause I'm still in my 60s. But from what I see so far and grouping with them I'm really impressed with the job.

But as of now paladin is probably the best tank. I'm hearing warriors dps are not that good, drks still have issues despite the complete job rework and gnb are looking solid. I would wait until post savage patch when they do class rebalancing.

• 1Like

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
It took all weekend, but I finally finished ARR. The fights, cutscenes, ending, etc etc etc... This was nothing like any other MMORPG has ever done. I mean really.

I don't know how anybody goes back to any other MMORPG after playing FFXIV. The others aren't even in the same ballpark.

I tried red mage, but ended up settling on samurai. It felt more my style than the red mage.

Now I'm working through the post ARR msq quests. Just another about one hundred quest to go before Heavensward.

• 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
Don't rush it, but I think most folks would agree the real modern FFXIV style of story-telling starts at Heavensward. If you get the time you should watch a youtube of all the cinematics in Binding Coils in Bahamut, since it's kinda helpful while you're still fresh off ARR.

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
Don't rush it, but I think most folks would agree the real modern FFXIV style of story-telling starts at Heavensward.
Oh trust me. I want to get to Heavensward bad. I'm going to be hitting those post ARR MSQ quests hard after work each day this week lol.

Cybsled

The post-ARR/Pre-HW quests are a slog, but the post-ARR story has a pretty good ending once you manage to get through them.

• 1Like

Nola

Trakanon Raider
I don't know how anybody goes back to any other MMORPG after playing FFXIV. The others aren't even in the same ballpark.
I personally know a few people and I'm sure one of them is probably reading this laughing at me. Many people cant seem to get into the game cause of the 2.5 sec GCD which I totally agree. But like I tell anyone stick with it until max level cause it's a totally different game. Once you get all your abilities everything flows together.

Last edited:
  • 1Worf

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
If you buy people a level skip and story skip potion, it's a LOT easier for them to stick with the game.

• 1Salty