Cybsled

Lali Ho

laliho.jpg

• 4Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Gotta be honest; healer on the Warrior of Light fight was... not really enjoyable haha. Frenetic is the best way to describe it.

Really great way to slide out of the expac; it's solid and I teared up a couple of times because man, so good.

I'm honestly confused how you get jaded tanks in these runs; I get that having it in the Trial Roulette is probably the best way to get people into it, but man you should warn them that they may have to train some people or at least be responsive. The sheer amount of ego displayed (almost always from tanks) in the end of xpac fights is hilarious. "I'm giving this one shot then I'm unplugging my router. Please watch 10 videos that I did not have to do when I beat this by accident."

Last edited:

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Gotta be honest; healer on the Warrior of Light fight was... not really enjoyable haha. Frenetic is the best way to describe it.

Really great way to slide out of the expac; it's solid and I teared up a couple of times because man, so good.

I'm honestly confused how you get jaded tanks in these runs; I get that having it in the Trial Roulette is probably the best way to get people into it, but man you should warn them that they may have to train some people or at least be responsive. The sheer amount of ego displayed (almost always from tanks) in the end of xpac fights is hilarious. "I'm giving this one shot then I'm unplugging my router. Please watch 10 videos that I did not have to do when I beat this by accident."

Being a tank in FFXIV isnt exactly hard - you have enough mitigation to fuck up and still be okay (most of the time). Even then, healers will drop healing on a DPS and switch to you almost instantly. Where as a DPS can get one shot more often than not and gets the shit end of the stick for healing. This is one of the few games I would say (personal opinion) it's easier to learn a fight as a tank, than being a subpar DPS. Healers seem to get the worst of it right now as there is so much outgoing healing sporadically right now and you also have to be on your toes for the queues themselves. I thought by this point you would see more Healers in Need, rather than Tanks in Need for Duty Finder.

The story is def good for this expansion though. Really enjoyed it so far.

nu_11

Being a tank in FFXIV isnt exactly hard - you have enough mitigation to fuck up and still be okay (most of the time). Even then, healers will drop healing on a DPS and switch to you almost instantly. Where as a DPS can get one shot more often than not and gets the shit end of the stick for healing. This is one of the few games I would say (personal opinion) it's easier to learn a fight as a tank, than being a subpar DPS. Healers seem to get the worst of it right now as there is so much outgoing healing sporadically right now and you also have to be on your toes for the queues themselves. I thought by this point you would see more Healers in Need, rather than Tanks in Need for Duty Finder.

The story is def good for this expansion though. Really enjoyed it so far.
Healer is the most fun cause you have to DPS and Heal. Tanks are boring cause there doesn't seem to be much to it. But all roles have their responsibilities of course.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
healer is a weird one because it jumps from most stressful to easiest job depending on the situation.

Healer imo is the most stressful when you are trying to prog dps checks on savage fights or kills unless you’re in a high level competent static that understands layering and cycling mitigation, because unlike dps classes and to some degree tanks, where the ability to dps is mostly based on their own skill level, your ability to dps as a healer is very dependent on how competent the entire raid group is as a whole, as well as understanding the behavior of your other healer really well. without these things in place, then you’re either keeping your group alive and not dpsing enough, or people are dying from lack of heals, and either way you’re gonna get blamed.

healing becomes immensely easier even just days or a few weeks into a raid cycle because once people have their tomestone Gear, dps is no longer a struggle (unless you have an outlier baddie which becomes obvious quickly), and all you need to do is get the raid mechanics right - at that point being healer is actually the easiest class to play because your dps ‘rotation’ is a joke compared to other jobs so focusing on getting raid mechanics are much easier

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Finally got through the base game stuff and I have to say if wow ever tried something like the praetorium +ending sequence of nearly an hour of unskippable cinematics with tiny bursts of actually being able to do anything the rage on the forums and youtube would be cataclysmic.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I have to say the chat of people who were level 70 ish doing the praetorium trapped in the endless cutsceen limbo was hilariously salty.

Malkav

French Madman
They stopped doing dungeons like that after Praetorium.
Well, at first cutscenes were skippable, but it was hurting the experience for new players, so they made it unskippable but a HUGE xp/tomestones bonus for people doing the roulette.

I tend to enjoy Praetorium banter. I also enjoyed Eureka banter back when it was relevant, reminded me of EQ /ooc. Hope the new zone we're getting soon for the new relic is similar.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yup I can see it both way new players WANT to see the story but the vast amount of cutsceens quickly makes even new players feel bad as all the salty veterans are just getting more and more grumpy as the run goes it just feels bad. Yup it seemed like the rewards were good enough that people rolled with it but going through that and then immediately the ending cinematics thats like an hour or so of just watching stuff. If wow ever tried that they would have gotten mocked into oblivion.

Malkav

French Madman
Yup I can see it both way new players WANT to see the story but the vast amount of cutsceens quickly makes even new players feel bad as all the salty veterans are just getting more and more grumpy as the run goes it just feels bad. Yup it seemed like the rewards were good enough that people rolled with it but going through that and then immediately the ending cinematics thats like an hour or so of just watching stuff. If wow ever tried that they would have gotten mocked into oblivion.

To be fair, if I'm leveling a job nowadays, i'd rather get Praetorium than Castrum. You can be on autopilot the whole time, just tab out during cutscenes, and barely any effort involved. It's rather long, but above lvl70 it's like two third of a level of xp, so definitely worth it.

Also, making fun of Nero/Gaius/Lahabread silly monologues.

What happened before the unskippable cutscenes is that Ultima would be dead before the newbie even finished the first cutscene lol.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

That is what used to happen. When I was brand new to the game, Lahabrea was dead and I was still on the Nero part.

Bonus makes it worth it, though. 50-60% of a level for your alt? Yes please

Daidraco

I only run MSQ Duty when I'm grinding whatever the most current tome currency is. I find it to be a downright awful experience, even for new people. Not because we're all talking trash in chat, but because it really is 40-45 minutes of just sitting there watching cheesy cut scenes, running past 90% of the mobs, and watching bosses pop within 15 seconds. I was hoping that when they cleaned up the MSQ here recently, that they would modify those two zones. It would be much more pleasant to all players if you started the cinematic at the quest giver, once the opening cinematic is done, you start a trial for the main boss, defeat him, and then the ending cinematic. That way players could just go in, do it, and get out if they wanted to. Getting that much of a level is nice, ya.. but I avoid running it as much as I can.

Cybsled

Yoshi P states that they had experimented with making it trust system compatible, but ran into issues and admitted that it would take a complete rehaul to update it/change it heavily. As such, it’s on their wishlist, but lower priority

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I've run the MSQ roulette once since 2.0(well technically twice but the 2nd time was on a free account when they gave them a couple years ago so I was forced to), imo it's just absolutely not worth the time. But people still queue for it, knowing they'll hate it, and then surprise they hate it and they bitch about it. They really should just not queue if they don't want to do it, it's kinda dumb, I know it's good xp but it's not worth hating your time for 40minutes or whatever it lasts. Sucks they didn't have time/willpower to rework these instances into Trust based instances instead.

At the very least nowadays people can watch the cutscenes, it's still a big fuckery of rushing to the end and some people run different languages to get slightly shorter cutscenes to run slightly faster but eh. After that they mostly stopped this shit. Once in a while you rarely have a long-ish cutscene at the start of a duty(I think there was one or two in heavensward, like during the trials) but that just means waiting ~2mins at the start and then everyone does the fight/dungeon/whatever, and then the new player gets more cutscenes at the end while everyone else gets the fuck out and resume their thing.

You can see fairly large improvement over time and from expansion to expansion in how they tell the story. They basically need to design the story telling in a way that it doesn't impede the gameplay, which they didn't bother to do early on.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
I have to say the chat of people who were level 70 ish doing the praetorium trapped in the endless cutsceen limbo was hilariously salty.

It's not that they're salty. It's just being bored out of your mind and killing time. You're talking about people that have had to sit through that shit 40? 50? 100+? times. Saying stupid/funny shit in chat during those cut-scenes is practically a meme at this point. For me, it was the only interesting part, some people are just competing to see who can get the most laughs.

Cybsled

All I do is tab out and watch YouTube or browse forums or whatever while Nero blabs. Gotta multitask

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Your design is broken if the best way to play something is to watch cat videos on you tube

Merrith

I'm leveling all my alt classes running a main scenario daily, and I'll take a Prae run every day over Castrum. I just throw on some music or a stream during the cutscenes. Trying to get every combat class up to 60 where I can just do 15 minutes of beast tribe quests every day to exp them all to 80 by end of the expac. In the 50-60 range Prae is basically a full level plus per run, in the lower 50's it's more like 1.75 levels per.

I get some people whining about cutscenes but unless they're running it for just moogle tomes, the exp and poetics to help gear alts with their 50/60/70 sets is totally worth it.

Cybsled

Your design is broken if the best way to play something is to watch cat videos on you tube

I agree, and they've stated that the only real option is to completely rebuild it. But it currently works out for all parties: Noobs don't have forever queues that prevent them from advancing, seasoned players get an extremely easy way to earn a fat chunk of XP on alts and massive tome stacks. There is literally nothing else in the game that is going to give you that much XP in under an hour. It's tedious, but it is less tedious then trying to level all that XP the normal way.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
While Prae is a little longer at least the exp is decent. It's generally close to a full level when taking an alt through. Castrum on the other hand is a whole bunch of fail. Yeah, the Tomestones are equal (I think) but the exp is gutted for the five or ten minute difference it takes to run it. Which, when you've waited around 20 minutes for an invite as a DPS, is a real kick in the balls.