Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Beef Supreme_sl

shitlord
A bro can be every class/job in the game but inventory slots are limited.
Awesome. Buy max bank and bag space then I guess.

I was on the fence about this game before this beta weekend, but something clicked and I absolutely adore it now. That is just icing on the cake.

Sean_sl

shitlord
I'm totally torn between Archer/Bard and Lancer/Dragoon right now. I love playing Ranged classes over anything else, but fuck, I don't really want to be a Bard of all things. Wru Ranger type job?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
It is assumed that Archer should still do reasonable damage, even though you lose the additional spells from having a job. You'll be able to cross class every damage boost though, like the 20% dmg from Lancer, the 300TP from lancer also, the 20%crit from pugilist and Mercry Stroke which is an execute from MRD, 250 potency attack only usable when target is under 25%. With that said, even with the range advantage over a normal melee, I don't know if people will bother with archers over a THM who can aoe like crazy, never runs out of mana even without a bard in the group(pretty much every other DPS will run out of TP at some point on long fights) and is also ranged with a bunch of utility("shell", sleep, good Cure etc).

Also with BRD probably being in high demand, people will ask you to spec BRD most of the time as finding a DPS isn't really that hard. So yeah I'd go with Lancer/DRG for now, and get Ranger whenever they add that, or a Musketeer class that should come soon after release.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
go archer, suffer through bard, switch ranger when its released after a month or two.

Noahx

N00b
I'm totally torn between Archer/Bard and Lancer/Dragoon right now. I love playing Ranged classes over anything else, but fuck, I don't really want to be a Bard of all things. Wru Ranger type job?
Considering your game time, i'm sure you can pick either and it will be a week/2 worth of time difference. Enjoy the flexibility and do both.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
i still refuse to preorder this when theyll let me try it for free in open beta.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Considering your game time, i'm sure you can pick either and it will be a week/2 worth of time difference. Enjoy the flexibility and do both.
I do have basically infinite time, but I hate overly excessive grinding. Just because I can level them all doesn't mean I really want to. I never really have alts in MMOs unless it's necessary for gathering crap. However, it all being on one character is much more appealing. I think I'll probably start with Lancer and then maybe later try the other.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
i still refuse to preorder this when theyll let me try it for free in open beta.
Except that one doesn't really have anything to do with the other. Pre-ordering simply means you pay $22.50 (GMG) when the headstart begins instead of $30 on release day.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Except that one doesn't really have anything to do with the other. Pre-ordering simply means you pay $22.50 (GMG) when the headstart begins instead of $30 on release day.
sure, but why put $22 up when you can try it for free then make an informed decision. Right now we just hope the game stays the same quality after the first 15 levels that theyve shown us. If you like it you can still preorder, you just have more to go on.

tower

Golden Knight of the Realm
I enjoyed playing my Marauder the first two weekends but interestingly the vast majority of people I liked playing with and will be trying to reconnect with on Phase 4/release are other tanks. A couple healers. Where the fuck is all the DPS?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I enjoyed playing my Marauder the first two weekends but interestingly the vast majority of people I liked playing with and will be trying to reconnect with on Phase 4/release are other tanks. A couple healers. Where the fuck is all the DPS?
All waiting on summoner ^^.

Mahulk_sl

shitlord
I'm not sure jobs are "required". You could stay Archer and mix in some +DMG moves from Lancer/Pugilist/etc. and basically be a Ranger... Of course people will try to convince you, but you can show them the finger. Jobs only offer a niche with a defined role or some special moves unavailable otherwise. Many people have been saying that ranged dps has an advantage over melee dps, I dont see why an Archer wouldnt work.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Is this going to be like RIFT, where there's hundreds of job combinations, but if you don't pick this exact job/side job then you suck as DPS and should die?

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Nah, all the jobs (at least the ones released so far) have the look of bringing flavor/utility without being a gigantic paradigm change. Certain fights will most definitely cater to specific builds/setups, but as far as gameplay goes it appears both more forgiving and more variable for having variance in available classes/jobs. Granted, jobs aren't in phase 3 so we'll really have to see how phase 4/release looks like for the advanced stuff, but as it is the dps based classes have cool flavor/unique feel while the tanking classes each feel a bit different. Only really one healer atm so it is their way or the highway~

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I liked the game enough that I pre-ordered, but manage to get into another beta I was really looking forward to. So not sure if I'll play this live or the other in beta. Maybe I will just take a break from the beta to do level at least 1 character to level in this.

Life is so hard at times.
smile.png

Slacker242

Lord Nagafen Raider
I liked the game enough that I pre-ordered, but manage to get into another beta I was really looking forward to. So not sure if I'll play this live or the other in beta. Maybe I will just take a break from the beta to do level at least 1 character to level in this.

Life is so hard at times.
smile.png
"You have to be fucking kidding me right?" - Don't worry, after you log into that other beta you will understand.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So much this. Still being extremely useful as Bard while waiting for a better job to get put in shouldn't be too terrible.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The thing is who knows how long it'll take them to add Ranger, they have so many classes and jobs to add and so much content, plus if the game doesn't do too well which is quite possible(I think it might sell a decent amount of boxes again but I don't know about people staying subbed for a long time) that'll slow that down even more. Finally they're also planning to add Musketeer which barely didn't make it for launch, so it might turn out that they'll add like Sniper or whatever as a job to Musketeer then Ranger could be too redundant to add over adding other different stuff.