Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
It never really gets better lol. In the later expansions there are certainly less interlude quests than the ones between ARR and HW but you're going to be mostly experiencing the same mindless drivel over and over again. There is so much awful quest padding and forgettable moments in the story that it makes climaxes which would be mediocre by other game's standards seem INCREDIBLE and AMAZING! But the reality is that the game's slow burn only serves to lower your expectations for anything remotely interesting over time. People who play this game get Stockholm syndrome for the story. I would know, I was one of them (look at my damn avatar). But since I've stepped away from the game and had time to reflect on my experiences with it objectively, pretty much all of the single-player content (including the MSQs that people rave about) was weak to mediocre. My fond memories of the game come from playing with other people, in spite of how much effort the game puts in to keep you from getting to that point.
It's fine just go keep playing WoW and leave, honestly that's all you want so go away.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Malkav

French Madman
Official forums are still an hilarious shitshow.

I have no clue why but I caught a temp ban.

image_2021-06-16_083655.png

Guess I sweared in a post or something. God their ToS are so ridiculous sometimes.

Edit : ah yes, I swore in a thread and got reported for it and got a 10 days ban from the forums.

1623825898328.png

Last edited:

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Well, it's the company policy, but contrary to Blizzard they actually enforce it.

Xenosys Vex got a 10 day suspension for insulting another player on stream. I mean, he really seems to be a nice fellow:

Everyone praises the FFXIV community for being nice and not as toxic as the WoW community, but the difference is that SE actually takes this seriously.

• 1Like

Malkav

French Madman
Well, it's the company policy, but contrary to Blizzard they actually enforce it.

Xenosys Vex got a 10 day suspension for insulting another player on stream. I mean, he really seems to be a nice fellow:

Everyone praises the FFXIV community for being nice and not as toxic as the WoW community, but the difference is that SE actually takes this seriously.

The community seems nice and not toxic because due to the change in ToS a while back you can get permanent strikes on your account because some snowflake can report you for saying mean things. Meanwhile, you get advertisements in party finder for ERP brothels like it's nothing.

Then you wonder why nobody talks in groups.

There is a reason #GCBTW is a meme.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Then you wonder why nobody talks in groups.
Most people shitpost in Discord anyways, at least my FC does.

The ToS changes were totally overboard, sure, but at the same time I can understand the sentiment to protect their community (for which they are often praised) and the players from the toxicity in other games like LoL or WoW. It's also a cultural thing, I believe, where most Japanese players don't talk in public chat.

Malkav

French Madman
Most people shitpost in Discord anyways, at least my FC does.

The ToS changes were totally overboard, sure, but at the same time I can understand the sentiment to protect their community (for which they are often praised) and the players from the toxicity in other games like LoL or WoW. It's also a cultural thing, I believe, where most Japanese players don't talk in public chat.

Yeah, people definitely talk in private groups.

The ToS changes just make the toxicity more low key and insidious. People will definitely be more passive-aggressive because of it. And the new ToS are so vague you can get a strike for the most random shit if someone ever decides to report you. Hell, you can get a strike for giving someone advice if they take it the wrong way ( there is a huge amount of "you don't pay my sub" players out there).

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

I have no clue why but I caught a temp ban.

View attachment 358468

Guess I sweared in a post or something. God their ToS are so ridiculous sometimes.

Edit : ah yes, I swore in a thread and got reported for it and got a 10 days ban from the forums.

View attachment 358469

Yeah, they're especially eager to ban on the forum which is ironic because they're uber tolerant of idiots with clear mental health issues creating multiple accounts and shitposting/necroing for attention.

I guess multiple accounts generate income though.

Malkav

French Madman
Yeah, they're especially eager to ban on the forum which is ironic because they're uber tolerant of idiots with clear mental health issues creating multiple accounts and shitposting/necroing for attention.

I guess multiple accounts generate income though.

Yeah, getting banned for this shit while Titanmen has just been trolling the forums for years now is kinda ridiculous.

• 1Solidarity

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
So Odin appears to actually be hard even with the massive over-gearing you get from the tomestone stuff heh.

I assume these parties are doing something wrong but the level of AE damage he puts out is nuts. I've never ran out of MP once before that fight, but it's seriously a problem trying to keep all the DPS and shit alive through all his bullshit.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I don’t get the hate. Even ARR so far feels like standard mmo shit even with combat. I’m slamming space on non class or MSQ quests though. I ran some to bring up a few other jobs so I can have a tank job and a caster job

Cybsled

So Odin appears to actually be hard even with the massive over-gearing you get from the tomestone stuff heh.

I assume these parties are doing something wrong but the level of AE damage he puts out is nuts. I've never ran out of MP once before that fight, but it's seriously a problem trying to keep all the DPS and shit alive through all his bullshit.

Fun Fact: Odin's appearance is based on whoever got the killing blow for the last Odin kill.

edit: the world boss fate Odin that is

Last edited:

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
There is no MMO while you're leveling. It's all single-player story content with the occasional dungeon with three random players (bots) that you barely interact with. The game doesn't become an MMORPG until you actually get to the point where you need to interact with people on a level beyond "Thanks for the dungeon!"

Yeah, that is the part of the game that I find boring. The entire MSQ is a slough to me. I just got to Shadowbringers, and I'm going to try and follow the story along. I'm not sure if I'll make it. When I play a MMO, I want to play a MMO and not a single player game. The MMO part of the game is fantastic. It's on par if not better than WoW. People raging over skipping the story I find comical. We all did the same thing in WoW for many expansions. I'm also one of the few that love that combat in the game. I feel it's better than WoW because I don't feel like I'm spamming keys.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Daidraco

I started playing a few days ago and Im still in the novice channel. Someone was talking about their buddy being in GM Jail and they thought it was his name. Someone asked what his name is, then someone else said "TONY! WHATS YO' NAME?!" and that whole youtube video basically played out with abbreviated "fuck" words. Then some random karen lashed out about toxic language and how surprising it was to see it in novice chat. They apologized and said that it was from a video and then Novice channel went silent for like an hour. I was laughing my ass off over how absurd that person complaining was. The only other side of this coin is what has been said, it keeps the absolute shit heads at bay.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Level and story skips are different. Skipping levels still throttles your progress based on story.

Yes, ARR is a slog and even vets of the game agree they -really- need to trim a lot more of the tedium from ARR. It is a hard sell to say "play this game for 30 hours and then it gets good". I think their hands are somewhat tied because they would have to re-record all the VA in ARR to make major changes (the VA in ARR are different than the rest of the game mostly).

ARR story does get much better around 2.4. It is one of those things where people who havent beat all of ARR want to skip, but people who slog through it are glad they didn't skip.

Lol re record all the VA? What VA? One in 20 quests seem to have voice acting. And I've been fine with those parts. It's the other 95% that are just HUGE exposition dumps. If I wanted to read a fantasy book, I'd go read a fantasy book. 4 lines of text to read, 4 lines of text to read, 4 lines of text to read, another 4 lines of text to read. It's not even very good. Whoever wrote this shit is actually awful. They were clearly never, ever taught how to write clearly and concisely. There's a difference between having a heavy story MMO and just fucking squeezing a very bad book into an mmo.

I'm almost done. I bought the damn complete edition so I'm trying to push myself onward to get to this "good content", but yeah, can't take much more of how tedious this is. It doesn't help that there's still a ton of clunky aspects about the game. Why don't I just auto dismount when I press an ability? Why do I need to manually dismount first? And then there's the lack of teleport points. And then there's the extremely close range on quest items, and the SINGLE WORST MMO MAP THAT HAS EVER EXISTED. And frankly I'm fucking sick of losing all my abilities. I've been pushing myself onward to get more abilities to compensate for GCD, but they just take my shit back away over and over again through fate level syncing, or random dungeon/duty roulette/guildhests that put me back at a low level where suddenly my rotation isn't a thing anymore and I have to go back to just having 2 abilities.

This is honestly really bad. I really hope people aren't under a mess delusion because so far, from where I sit, that's what this FF14 hype seems to be. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I gotta get past the base game and first few expansions first... sigh. it's way too much to ask new players, and I am 100% positive this recent ff14 hype train will be a very short lived bubble, because there's no way a huge percentage of wow refugees will make it out of ARR.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
If my character didn't look so damn good and the animations weren't so good I would have already peaced the fuck out. I better get some cinematics with the Imperials real quick or I'm gonna lose my mind. I can't enjoy leveling/gaining new skills, because they keep taking them away from me again.

Yeah, that is the part of the game that I find boring. The entire MSQ is a slough to me. I just got to Shadowbringers, and I'm going to try and follow the story along. I'm not sure if I'll make it. When I play a MMO, I want to play a MMO and not a single player game. The MMO part of the game is fantastic. It's on par if not better than WoW. People raging over skipping the story I find comical. We all did the same thing in WoW for many expansions. I'm also one of the few that love that combat in the game. I feel it's better than WoW because I don't feel like I'm spamming keys.

The combat is fun once you get 3 or so abilities off GCD and you get your 3 button combo (level 50ish imo). Too bad they take it away from you CONSTANTLY.

Cybsled

That issue is diluted by unlocking dungeons. There is a massive cluster of level 50 dungeons you can unlock, then the HW stuff. At lower levels, until you unlock more stuff, you’re going to have a smaller pool of roulette dungeons and as such, get low level stuff more often

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Daidraco

Im one of the people that say you should skip ARR. HW improves on the formula quite a bit, but still has some lingering ARR techniques. Storm improves again, and finally Shadow is night and day to the experience of ARR. Some people treat ARR like a right of passage, but after doing it twice.. I just think the classic content pushes people away from the game. If you want to save money, by all means push through it. But the small purchase price of skipping ARR in entirety is well worth it. You can read the storyline in its entirety on several websites, and the story can be summed up in about two-three paragraphs. As far as skipping HW and Storm - I dont believe you'll form a connection with the game itself if you have no idea what is what, and who is where etc. etc. So I wouldnt skip those by any means. Shadowbringers takes you to old content and to new content quite often and you'll have no idea why you're even in those places.

Chris

Potato del Grande
So heal classes are fun, then?

Do healers get to do some dps?
I found WHM very fun in dungeons but not solo levelling.

People want you to DPS on lower content but I just don't.

You can level two classes and switch to WHM or another healer for dungeons.