Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

misery_sl

shitlord
T5 with a duty finder PUG? No thanks. What the hell. T1-4 were complete facerolls, then this. My FC has 12 people on at prime time and the only thing they do is talk about chocobo coloring and planting shit. There has been only one T5 group up in party finder all day, and I joined... They died quicker than duty finder groups. I'm not sure this is happening. Had a blast getting all most jobs to 50, but this end game is just going to be a pain in the dick. It's pretty much the only thing I want to do right now. Waiting a week on ST, and waiting a week on soldiery... Yay. My time in this game might be nearing an end.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
T5 with a duty finder PUG? No thanks. What the hell. T1-4 were complete facerolls, then this. My FC has 12 people on at prime time and the only thing they do is talk about chocobo coloring and planting shit. There has been only one T5 group up in party finder all day, and I joined... They died quicker than duty finder groups. I'm not sure this is happening. Had a blast getting all most jobs to 50, but this end game is just going to be a pain in the dick. It's pretty much the only thing I want to do right now. Waiting a week on ST, and waiting a week on soldiery... Yay. My time in this game might be nearing an end.
ya thats my problem with the game. fun and challenging endgame fights, but unless you have a consistent 7 to run with to actually do the fights, it's kind of useless. they just keep upping the ante too - the new primal fight is basically a no go with pugs.

Taloo_sl

shitlord
It's rough to transition from a raider to a filthy casual but we all go through it. It's time to step up or move on when you get to that point. When I got there I joined a guild that posted they wanted to raid on the official forums and took them to clearing T4 with the help of the only three competent people spread across three 8 man groups. Got busy over Christmas and just never went back. Got what I could get out of it at that point. I mean FFS not like tanks that couldn't silence ADS were going to down T5 anyways right?

Give it a shot, it's kind of like teaching puppies in a ball pit to tap dance but it's pretty fun.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Tanking in this game is cray cray. I would definitely not recommend it as someones first and primary class. So much pressure to lead when you have never even been to an instance.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well it's kinda like every game since wow, tanks pull so you kinda need to know where you're going. Worst case you get someone else to show you where to go, not that many instances have multiple ways and shit.

On the raiding comments, well Coil is designed for a static group pretty much, while you can somewhat clear the first few turns of each coil in a pug, the higher turns are the challenging content for people who do like hardcore raiding. Rest is meant to go do ST and primals pretty much(and even that on EX isn't really puggable). That's kinda how it is, if your only interest is raiding but you don't want to get in a static group, well that's kinda not the right game. WoW does it better with LFR and shit.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Tanking in this game is cray cray. I would definitely not recommend it as someones first and primary class. So much pressure to lead when you have never even been to an instance.
It's not so bad. most of the dungeons are setup with the pulls already built for you. Just do a group at a time until you're comfortable/a manly machine

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Tanking in this game is the easiest tanking experience I've ever had until you hit harder content (some primals, later turns of Coil, etc). If you aren't a complete tool, and your healer isn't AFK, you're generally good to go even if you screw up a pull or two. That said, aggro is one hell of a lot easier to maintain now than it was at launch.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
It sucks that as a tank you have to spoil all the dungeons and encounters ahead of time via youtube vids or else you will wipe your group. I was kinda miffed about that. If I had to do it over again I'd definitely play an archer.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Yeah, you do have to do some homework (or have a competent healer that can adjust for bad pulls the first time through) due to some pretty unforgiving mob placements in some dungeons, but let's be realistic here: It's no EverQuest. You have to try pretty hard to pull 3, 4, 5 packs of stuff, and it's not like the social assistance is horrifically broken like it was in EQ either.

There have been times when I've wished I was a real monk, though...

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Maybe he means bosses. A bunch have like high dmg/instant kill mechanics, it's more annoying when it's the tank that gets hit. Though, most of them a tank will live through just fine, so it's not really a big deal. Other than that it's just generaly awareness tanking stuff. Stuff on the ground? Move out. Telegraph coming out of the boss' mouth on your face? Move out. Adds spawning? Move out, and hit them. That's pretty much all you do for most of the dungeons including the 50 ones. There's some stuff you have to know like moving the boss in a certain spot to facilitate shit and whatever but tbh anyone can explain that to you in 5words before the pull.

For trash I don't really see when it would be an issue. Haukke Manor has a few patrols, Stone Vigil has a few patrols, almost everything else is static pulls so you can't really fuck up. Throw tomahawk/shield into one mob, run into the rest, flash/overpower twice, turn the mobs away, start doing DPS. Pop a cooldown too if you have one up, helps a bit if you're undergeared, packs take enough times that you should have a cd for every pull.

I wouldn't say it's easier as a DPS, however you can die and no one will care most of the time, you'll just be "that guy" who's fucking slowing down the dungeon run by being completely clueless. If anything, it's A LOT easier to fuck up as a DPS and die than it is as a tank. Healer is probably hardest of the 3 imo, because you have to keep track of everyone fucking up to heal them, while avoiding the same shit yourself.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah trash is easy. It's some of the boss mechanics that I am referring to. It's been a while since i last played an mmo so i guess i am not really used to having to do all these put your left leg in, right leg out, stand on a chair situations to finish an encounter. Like in Dzemeal where you have to stand in the purple zones throughout the first part of the zone. I like the game no doubt about it.

misery_sl

shitlord
Beat levi ex with a PF group. We wiped a few times, but it was pretty fun, not going to lie. I still need to clear T5, but at least I have the mechanics down to a science up to the last phase. There's always one or two people who have no clue what they're doing, and it always ends up ruining my groups. You explain the mechanics to them and they still don't listen. Every new person seems to think T5 is faceroll. Got a couple of premades, but no luck yet. Had one guy constantly getting hit by every single mechanic. I think he died 3 times every attempt, had no clue what he was doing on divebombs. Then we had a healer who insisted on solo healing it, and a WHM no less which made things a bit iffy, but they actually healed pretty good until everyone started exploding to DKs and twisters, lol. I'm going to make it to T9, because it seems like it'll be a challenge. If the encounters aren't challenging, finding competent players will be.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
The problem with a static for raiding is needing to have a fixed schedule every week, which some of us (myself included) can't commit to, since my work schedule varies wildly from week to week. I've actually had some decent luck just pf'ing into statics that were missing a healer here or there but it takes a while

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
Beat levi ex with a PF group. We wiped a few times, but it was pretty fun, not going to lie. I still need to clear T5, but at least I have the mechanics down to a science up to the last phase. There's always one or two people who have no clue what they're doing, and it always ends up ruining my groups. You explain the mechanics to them and they still don't listen. Every new person seems to think T5 is faceroll. Got a couple of premades, but no luck yet. Had one guy constantly getting hit by every single mechanic. I think he died 3 times every attempt, had no clue what he was doing on divebombs. Then we had a healer who insisted on solo healing it, and a WHM no less which made things a bit iffy, but they actually healed pretty good until everyone started exploding to DKs and twisters, lol. I'm going to make it to T9, because it seems like it'll be a challenge. If the encounters aren't challenging, finding competent players will be.
T6 may just cure you of PF groups. When people can't figure out when to get eaten and when to not get eaten...

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The problem with a static for raiding is needing to have a fixed schedule every week, which some of us (myself included) can't commit to, since my work schedule varies wildly from week to week. I've actually had some decent luck just pf'ing into statics that were missing a healer here or there but it takes a while
Well yeah obviously that's the problem, that's what makes high end raiding such a niche thing, the time commitment and finding the right people. I don't wanna bother with that shit anymore either, so I don't. I'm fine with not being able to do 2nd turn until they add 3rd coil and add Echo to 2nd with maybe a bunch of nerfs to go with it. Maybe they'll change how they do things with the expansion and have the echo version available right away and savage becomes the new current "normal" raiding or something, kinda like wow does, but I don't feel it's a big problem because that's what raiding is at its core, you need to find people to do runs with. I guess the smaller group size makes it harder to run a larger guild that swaps people in and out depending on availability though, like pure 10m guilds in wow didn't have as many people as normal 25m guilds since you tend to need the same people to progress decently.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I guess the smaller group size makes it harder to run a larger guild that swaps people in and out depending on availability though, like pure 10m guilds in wow didn't have as many people as normal 25m guilds since you tend to need the same people to progress decently.
Thats probably your biggest problem, yea. But the freedom to do encounters in slightly different ways is kind of a catch 22 in that situation. If you have a great team that stays together, then its great that you found your own way to do a boss. But its not great for someone that just joined the guild, regardless of their experience. Much less in systems like WoW's LFR or Flex where you have a cluster fuck of randoms all trying to do "what they know." Garrosh being my biggest example. The end goal is still the same, obviously. But the Dev team will never let a strategy make a boss mob insignificant, so whats the point in allowing the variation? At least, thats how I look at it.

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Things must still be going pretty right for this game - I just encountered a queue trying to log in to Gilgamesh. A queue on a random non-patch Wednesday in a year old MMO. Haven't seen that in awhile.

I am closing in on the start of my 3rd month here and I am still loving the shit out of it. Getting ready to start in on coil and expert primals while working on finishing off my atma weapon, a few classes and crafting classes at 50. There really is a ton to do still, the dungeons are all still very fresh to me and fun, the people are generally pretty cool and patient, and the general lack of alts really does kind of add to the community, because you tend to start recognizing names and gear and such in a way that I at least haven't felt in a long while.

They got a good thing going here unless you are into a vibrant, hard core raiding game; that seems kind of thin. Everything else though, extremely well done in my opinion, enough to keep me playing awhile longer for sure. And Hildibrand > all.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well it's the day of the weekly reset so there's more people doing stuff than the other days, but yeah I don't know, I assume they have a bunch of ghost servers but the ones I've been on were decently populated(moogle) to greatly populated(ultros). Like lots of people in town and people in basically every zone at almost every hour(middle of the night is kinda empty in many areas, but it is the middle of the night so...). Not much shouting though so it looks empty if you look at chat only unlike during release month but if you play in the zone you see dozen of players questing, gathering(not bots, or terribly inefficient bots) and doing FATEs. Plus all the people running dungeons.

And considering they haven't merged servers in a while yet still have like 50 servers opened, it seems safe to say they're doing pretty well.

misery_sl

shitlord
This game is really good at dragging me along. Grinding for PvP gear, and doing my atma books to get my animus right now. Having a good time almost 2 months into it.