Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Gladiator/Paladin is also probably the most boring class from a mechanics / abilities standpoint. If you like healing, try out arcanist/scholar for some more active play. For dps, try pugilist/monk or rogue/ninja.

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
A couple of things....

• You won't find anything truly challenging till you hit 50.
  • Combat doesn't becoming more engaging until 30 - 40 range. It is never going to be as fast as WoW.
  • If you think of the 1 -> 30 experience as one big tutorial, you'll be better off.
That being said, this is the best MMO I've played since WoW. I've been re-subscribed since June of last year and play almost daily which is a rare occurrence for me. The plethora of activities you unlock on your way to 50 (and at 50) is staggering, along with their content release schedule. You also have the ability to play on the PS3 and/or PS4 with the option to use a PS Vita via remote play, giving more playing options than any other AAA MMO.

The biggest CONS are going to be the items above, combined with the Final Fantasy/Anime "feel". The game, as stated above, can be goofy but if you're familiar with Final Fantasy it won't be out of the ordinary.

Harkon

Vyemm Raider
The game does not take itself too seriously and has alot of comic relief moments. It's also worth it to level up just for the Hildibrand quests which is a long goofy ass quest chain.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
The localization team for this game honestly rides the same train as the Blizzard content designers in that almost every quest name is a pop culture reference or joke, and the Hildibrand stuff is absolutely bonkers. Legitimately funny stuff.

The dungeons become more interesting as you level, but just like playing a warrior in early EQ had few options, your tanks generally have boring gameplay when they aren't playing the aggro game. But nothing is as boring as leveling a conjurer/white mage hah. At least gladiators can combo stuff, whms just cast Stone/Stone2 followed by aero, then stone until mob is dead. Repeat forever. With all the melee classes though, you get various ability chains or groups of instant attacks to weave in, so the gameplay becomes a little more complex in the mid 20s. But yeah, 30+ is when you start getting class defining abilities and you really see how things work.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Some classes are certainly more boring than others all the way through. Paladins is the most obvious, but some others too. People find BLM boring, even though the fact it hinges so much on limiting movement and managing your random procs well makes it actually quite interesting to me(but you technically only use 5spells for most of the fight).

There's certainly a lot of downsides to the combat system. Some people don't mind or appreciate it, some do. If you do, well there's not much else to do about it, you're not gonna like the game, not really a big deal. I like the slower pace personally. Some stuff could be better, but it's not terrible and I find the gameplay at cap is pretty interesting for most classes.

Now leveling though, and low level stuff especially tends to be terrible. Dragoons literally only spam a single skill over and over in dungeons until like lvl 30 or whatever they get True Thrust at. BLMs only do Fire spam > Transpose > Blizzard spam > Transpose > Firespam until 44 or so. Ninjas do a lot of 1 2 3 and one/two step ninjutsus until 40. WHMs when not grouped basically only use 2 skills, Stone II and Aero, with maybe the off GCD cooldown push thing when it's up. Warriors mostly use one combo until they unlock the 2nd chain at like lvl 30 or whatever it was.

Overall I'd say their leveling experience on most classes is fairly awful. You get the important shit too late. Once you get it, it changes the way you play the classes and a lot of classes actually become pretty fun(like Dragoon), but until then it's fucking garbage on a lot of them. The leveling isn't super long, but it's not super short either it's decidely average, so that reinforces the issue when you unlock your key shit at 40ish, which is almost near the end of your leveling process.

Harkon

Vyemm Raider
Levelling a Dragoon, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Spam Impulse Drive
I started leveling my drag today and was reading old guides saying not to spam impulse drive and was so fucking confused since the positional requirements have now been removed. Its a true button mash class when leveling.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I've been subbed to this since last fall, but only get to play like once/twice a month for a bit.

I have been levelling conj->whm and hit like 44 recently. The final 8 levels are going pretty slow. I found everything up to that point to be pretty quick, though. Of course I tend to have full rested and 100 leve quests available each time I log in, so that might be affecting my experience.

Anyway, its the only really playable MMO besides WoW. That's what I would say for it. Its not shit. Its not perfect. But it is playable, and by that I mean when I log in I don't dread logging in. Usually by mid levels in a game I'm bored to tears and hate logging in and that's when I unsub.

Harkon

Vyemm Raider
Just do dungeons for your final levels; the queues will be quick and you will be 50 in no time as a healer/tank. For a DPS do fates unless you know a healer/tank to duo with.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I started leveling my drag today and was reading old guides saying not to spam impulse drive and was so fucking confused since the positional requirements have now been removed. Its a true button mash class when leveling.
Even back then you spammed Impulse Drive, you just needed to stay behind mobs to get full damage but that wasn't very hard unless the tank was an idiot and flipped shit around constantly, or you pulled aggro. Now you don't even care anymore.

It gets better as you level up though and the endgame dragoon rotation is pretty nice, multiple chains/dots and lots of oGCDs to weave inbetween.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
I don't mind the slow combat considering that it's across the board meaning every class is that way, melee or cast. It's not like one class really has a huge advantage over another (except maybe the DoT classes like Bard or Scholar).

My biggest problem with the game is that when you look at the MMOscape, the trend games have been doing over the last five years is "ACTION COMBAT... Fuck yeah!" with every MMO having some form or another of either a dodge, roll, block or a combination thereof. From Neverwinter, WildStar, ESO to even indie games like Crowfall they all give you some way to avoid boss telegraphs even if they have static casting classes.

FFXIV's problem is that they take the old formula of turreting classes and then expect them to be mobile. It's kind of a retarded preposition when you think about it. You'll start casting or your melee chain and then AOE time.. run or hide, then hope you can get back on the boss in time to finish your rotations. In some cases classes like BLM or WHM can almost be completely cancelled out in terms of dps or heal effectiveness because of this.

If you look at the last update, this game introduced more AOE in the game just about everywhere that more resembles a Titan fight as normal content. I understand why they want the challenge for players, but you don't give them the tools to effectively to do the job.

I really thought SE would have learned from FFXI about static casting classes after over a decade.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
I am playing my Archer now on Gilgamesh - level 10 so far. On PS4. It's pretty fun again. I played for a bit on PC but couldn't get passed having to use a keystroke macro to get passed the lgo in screen way back on Launch. This is a lot more comfortable just playing from a couch. Although there isn't a lot of folks on that I know, but I do not have a keyboard so I wouldn't be communicating much anyway unless they were in my party chat on the PS4.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
FFXIV's problem is that they take the old formula of turreting classes and then expect them to be mobile. It's kind of a retarded preposition when you think about it. You'll start casting or your melee chain and then AOE time.. run or hide, then hope you can get back on the boss in time to finish your rotations. In some cases classes like BLM or WHM can almost be completely cancelled out in terms of dps or heal effectiveness because of this.

If you look at the last update, this game introduced more AOE in the game just about everywhere that more resembles a Titan fight as normal content. I understand why they want the challenge for players, but you don't give them the tools to effectively to do the job.

I really thought SE would have learned from FFXI about static casting classes after over a decade.
I don't think that's true at all though. You do have to run, but only a very specific times in a fight in general, and at least for healing, there's on very key component to these phases that you don't see in other games: bosses actually cast their spells. They don't just shit a ground marker then a fireball comes out of their ass and hit the ground area while he's still pounding on the tank. No instead he'll turn(or not, that kinda depends), and stops all actions for the cast time, then resume attacking once he's done.

This is a key difference because it means that when you're supposed to dodge, the boss isn't fucking the tank up like crazy. The other thing they do is they only force target one healer out of two, give the boss low damage, or make the movement phase predictable(% or time based) so you can get HoTs/shields rolling on the tank before you have to move.

I've healed Final Coil, and while some fights are very much "dodge all the things", such as T11, none of them actually penalize you for dodging by making the tank dead. In fact in T11, the times when you have to move around is when you get time to catch up on healing, because the boss damage stops entirely for an extended period of time while he does his dodge shit, and you have time to stop inbetween each move to land a heal, plus hots will heal people back up during that time or preshield the incoming aoe damage next.

Other fights have mechanics that simply ignore healers entirely, for example Earthshakers in T13 which forces you to have 2 people dodge shit while taking unavoidable damage, meaning they require healing. Healers never get targetted by those because it'd make the fight impossible since you can't heal yourself and dodge shit at the same time efficiently(not at that speed at least). And while this shit happens, tanks take no damage. Though right after it ends, tanks take a large burst, so you still need to keep an eye on it and make sure he's topped off at the end of earthshakers and if he's not, that's when you burn the instants to catch up. They give you limited tools to deal with movement or mechanics, but they always design the fights with these limits in mind.

Now BLM is a different thing, but BLM is one class. None of the melees have to stand still, at the very worst, they have to position to get max dmg output on that specific move, and I guess monks drop their stacks if they have to dodge for extended periods of time but that doesn't happen very often(and can be worked out via changing the strat slightly like keeping some adds alive during phase transitions)/is balanced by monks superior damage.

BLM suffers on some fights when they get randomly targetted. But that's also why they have the highest DPS out of all the ranged classes when standing still. It actually adds an interesting depth and higher skill ceilling to being a good BLM, if you can minimize the requirement imposed by certain mechanics by good use of Swiftcast, holding Firestarter/Thunder procs, using Aether Manipulation, using Mana Ward or Mana Wall, your DPS will go up and reach a very rewarding level.

I think the game actually mixes it well and has a different take on the dodge all the shit systems. The much slower boss attacks, the larger but predictable hits, the set rotations rather than random patterns for abilities, the damage output being such that a single healer can cover for a short while(or most of it depending), the Scholar having access to a 3rd "healer" that isn't affected by 99% of the mechanics and as such can keep healing at all times, it makes it so there's not really a "bullshit" moment in healing in my opinion. The closest would be lag issues and how playing from europe on top of the typical healing delay means sometimes I see a heal land but it actually lands after the hit on a dead tank or doesn't shield the hit I wanted to shield, though this is mostly the result of me cutting corners with DPS rotations and starting heals a bit late.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
I don't think that's true at all though.

I've healed Final Coil, and while some fights are very much "dodge all the things", such as T11, none of them actually penalize you for dodging by making the tank dead.
If you had to guess, how many players do you think healed Final Coil (successfully)? How many do you think evenreachedFinal Coil? 10%-15%? Most haven't even passed Raff.

Games are not rated/ranked on how the elite players do nor the bottom, they are rated by the 'mass middle' of players with varying degrees of skill that is neither shitty nor godlike. That's how discussions of games should be directed from, never from the few at the top or the scrubs at the bottom. Otherwise, it would be all about WildStar.

Given that, I think what I said about the mechanics are pretty accurate, especially given the slower pace of play vs other MMOs with the same boss telegraph style. SE trying to have the old style turret play with the more increased modes of activity is not ideal for most players.

I actually like the game a lot, but I'd rather they had added either dodge/roll mechanics or casting on the move for all classes instead of the oldguard status quo of turreting.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I mentionned Final Coil because it is the hardest raid and as such as the most complicated mechanics(though T9 and T5 are up there also). The fights aren't easy, but they not made hard because you have to move and heal at the same time, but simply because you have to move at all, and the fight is for the most part equally hard for classes that don't have to stand still like bards. Being able to cast on the move wouldn't change the fact you have to move, which is why most people seem to fail(on multiple levels, moving isn't just necessarily moving out of ground stuff, you have to move at the right time, to the right place and quickly asses wether you specifically or others have to move and so on). A dodge roll would probably make it easier by providing faster movement, however all it'd really do is accelerate certain effects to take into account that faster movement. They wouldn't design encounters that are made trivial by using an ability that is given to everyone.

The fact is, I don't think dodging stuff in Wildstar or GW2 was any easier than in WoW or even FFXIV. The time required to move is always factored in the time you are given to move. If you can move instantly 10yards in any direction, then you'd get 1sec warning at most and you'd be expected to use that instant movement to get out of it. If you played a game where you could only walk, then you'd be given ample time to actually walk out of the circles. But overall, all of them would give you say .5 to 1sec of time to notice you have to move, and then add how long it takes to move, and that's the total time you have to move. The first value tends to be a constant in every game and the second varies depending on movement options. Given more movement options would simply reduce the time on the 2nd part and the time on the first part, which is what bad players fail at, would remain the same.

Every class can still perform their job while moving or isn't expected to perform their job while moving, with the only exception of the BLM, for whom the entire mechanic is standing still. It's a bit similar to the Esper in Wildstar in that regard, but less shitty. See because Wildstar was such an ultra mobile game with the dodge and sprint, they felt compelled to completely liter the ground with telegraphs all the fucking time everywhere. And for the most part, it was good design because you're given such powerful movement abilities, it forces you to use them. Only that if you were an Esper, you were getting fucked by that design.

But FFXIV isn't quite the same. You used Titan as an example earlier, but Titan only forces you to move like once every 15 to 30seconds(depending on the phase and the part of the rotation). Most of the time you're in fact, standing still(or moving frantically from side to back if you're a monk and jumping off the edge doing a repelling shot at the wrong angle if you're a bard). You are asked to move at specific times, times that are well known in advance if you learn the rotation.

I think that's where your argument isn't correct. You said they give you turret classes(true at least for casters) and you're expected to move a lot, but you're not expected to move a lot. You're expected to only move at specific times, which are most often not random(there's surprisingly few random stuff happening in this game, though with long enough rotations people tend to lose track of what comes next and might assume it's random), and only a bit at a time. And when you're expected to move on healers as I pointed out before, the fight basically stops with the boss casting the skills. You're meant to either move, or cast. You're not expected to do both, because you cannot really do both. That's why the hard casts work fine.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
I am playing my Archer now on Gilgamesh - level 10 so far. On PS4. It's pretty fun again. I played for a bit on PC but couldn't get passed having to use a keystroke macro to get passed the lgo in screen way back on Launch. This is a lot more comfortable just playing from a couch. Although there isn't a lot of folks on that I know, but I do not have a keyboard so I wouldn't be communicating much anyway unless they were in my party chat on the PS4.
I'm honestly intrigued to hear you are having fun playing a theme park WoW clone with a slow paced tab targeting combat system yet you hated TESO with a passion. I thought you pretty much universally hated themepark MMOs.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
The fact is, I don't think dodging stuff in Wildstar or GW2 was any easier than in WoW or even FFXIV. The time required to move is always factored in the time you are given to move. If you can move instantly 10yards in any direction, then you'd get 1sec warning at most and you'd be expected to use that instant movement to get out of it. If you played a game where you could only walk, then you'd be given ample time to actually walk out of the circles. But overall, all of them would give you say .5 to 1sec of time to notice you have to move, and then add how long it takes to move, and that's the total time you have to move. The first value tends to be a constant in every game and the second varies depending on movement options. Given more movement options would simply reduce the time on the 2nd part and the time on the first part, which is what bad players fail at, would remain the same.
I can see your point about telegraph reaction time being relatively equal across multiple games. With that said, the reverse argument also holds true for the 2.5 second global cooldown. If a game isn't going to have action oriented combat like Wildstar, TESO, GW2 and Neverwinter, what is the justification for making such a long global cooldown? Why not just make it 1 second and balance the game accordingly? The animations I have seen so far are completed within 0.5 seconds so you are just sitting there waiting 2 seconds to press another ability.

I'm up to level 13 now and the slow combat is the one thing I have not been able to come to grips with yet. I will reassess things after I get to 15 and go tank a dungeon.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
I'm honestly intrigued to hear you are having fun playing a theme park WoW clone with a slow paced tab targeting combat system yet you hated TESO with a passion. I thought you pretty much universally hated themepark MMOs.
I hated TESO because it was a poorly designed broken mess. I still play WoW albeit not for long as the content production is way too slow with all the money they make, and I do not see how they cannot have a ton more content based on the revenue generation.

FF14 has a few things going for it. Graphically from an atmospheric stand point, it is gorgeous. Cities and environments are well done and the NPC characters so far have unique personalities. (Of the limited ones I have met in the game) The slow paced combat works for me since I am playing this on a PS4 with a PS4 controller so I am not button mashing. The crafting systems seem fairly deep. The story is actually pretty decent so far, admittedly I am playing Solo and probably will for the unforeseeable future. The production values seem much higher, albeit this is also FF14 2.0 and they royally screwed the pooch on the 1st game - however, they did make up for it with their consumer base which is something not a lot of companies out there would do when they screw over the consumers to that extent.

Not that far in though, so it could get pretty boring pretty quick. But for now (And I played the PC version at launch - pretty much caught up to where I was when I ditched the PC version) we will see what happens. I also got it very cheap. The PS4 version is on sale right now for $23.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I can see your point about telegraph reaction time being relatively equal across multiple games. With that said, the reverse argument also holds true for the 2.5 second global cooldown. If a game isn't going to have action oriented combat like Wildstar, TESO, GW2 and Neverwinter, what is the justification for making such a long global cooldown? Why not just make it 1 second and balance the game accordingly? The animations I have seen so far are completed within 0.5 seconds so you are just sitting there waiting 2 seconds to press another ability.

I'm up to level 13 now and the slow combat is the one thing I have not been able to come to grips with yet. I will reassess things after I get to 15 and go tank a dungeon.
I'm not sure there's any link between those 2 elements. A game that has a faster pace in movement by having dodge rolls is more likely to also have a faster pace in combat with a lower GCD/fast animation locks. A game with no fast movement doesn't necessarily needs more speed. Sure it can be done because of the low movement not detracting from it, but it also doesn't have to be done.

I think at the core, this game has a slower GCD for one main reason, it's so it's easier to be played with a gamepad. 1second is not much time to input several commands in a row using combinations of L/R, for the average player. Meanwhile 2.5secs is a solid amount of time to think about your next step and select the correct input.

As I said, this is very much a matter of preference, I never said this system was superior. Nor the hardcast/low movement system either. They work well together in my opinion, and I like how the combat flows in this game, but it's very unique in its "slowness" and there is absolutely no reason why it'd be considered superior objectively to a faster pace, it's just a different thing. Some people won't mind either(like me), some will mind the faster pace(casual console players), some will mind the slow combat(lots of people who are used to faster combat), but it's very much a subjective matter I'd say in what you like as a person.

If you don't like it, well it's not really gonna get any better, I'd say. I mean it kinda does get better, once you have to choose the right action at the right time, but the depth of the combat system in terms of twitch reaction is close to null for an experienced mmo players in the end. It might take a few days to get used to a specific class rotation and rythm and because the UI sometimes is a fucking disaster to get your shit running correctly(like keeping track of dots in certain situations and what not). I find most of the fun of the combat is actually learning the details of the encounter I mentionned above, to know exactly what's going to happen next and make your time more efficient.

I don't remember reading ahead as much when I played wow, mostly I had the boss addon tell me when shit was happening and you'd react reactively a lot with the only real proactive gameplay was stacking HoTs as a druid or refreshing Earth Shield as a shaman(in terms of healing that is) and the rest of the time was spent either spamming free heals(back when downranking was a thing or when healers couldn't run out of mana using their smaller heals like mid-end BC and such) or spam casting them and cancelling if they weren't needed. I don't think it necessarily has to do with the speed but the design of the gameplay, it's a slower approach that relies less on twitch and more on thinking ahead and I kinda like that, it's more relaxing I think.

As for 15 and a dungeon, I wouldn't expect anything. Paladin is boring till 50 and at 50. Like literally the most boring class. At 15, it'll be exactly the same, and the first dungeons are a snoozefest too, they don't technically require a tank, just someone who can cast heals(doesn't even have to be a healer class at that point). Damage is so low there's almost no risk of ever dying unless your healers is retarded, which sadly happens all too often, but that's basically the only thing that matters at these levels. I'm a bit surprised you're only 13 though, I guess maybe because you don't like the game but it doesn't really take that long to level up. I'd say 30 is a better place to judge the gameplay, but that takes I wanna say 15hours the first time due to all the storyquest shit on the way and what not. And I'd change to Warrior(marauder) asap if you don't want to fall asleep tanking. It's both flashier and more fun to play.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
I don't mind the slow combat considering that it's across the board meaning every class is that way, melee or cast. It's not like one class really has a huge advantage over another (except maybe the DoT classes like Bard or Scholar).

My biggest problem with the game is that when you look at the MMOscape, the trend games have been doing over the last five years is "ACTION COMBAT... Fuck yeah!" with every MMO having some form or another of either a dodge, roll, block or a combination thereof. From Neverwinter, WildStar, ESO to even indie games like Crowfall they all give you some way to avoid boss telegraphs even if they have static casting classes.

Ugh, if I had 100 Gil every time a player used this excuse for being bad...

Believe it or not, on most bosses (especially the 2.4 and 2.5 fights), it's very easy to have 90-100% uptime as a melee DPS, SMN, or BRD. BLM is the only class that truly has a difficult time but like Pyros said, if you pay attention and use Manaward/Manawall/Aetherial Manipulation correctly, you'll still be able to maintain decent uptime.

As a Ninja, the only time I ever have to disconnect from the boss during T10 or T11 is when they go invincible during add phases. That's it. Despite all the mechanics and AoEs going out, a good player is able to maintain his uptime on a boss and really that's what separates good players from bad players in this game because DPS class rotations are so easy you can do them in your sleep.

As for the 2.5 GCD, if you play a Melee DPS or a BRD, you get a ton of abilities that are off GCD that you use in between your GCDs. Ninja has like 6, not including temp buffs or situational abilities (like our teleport). And the GCD for Ninjas and Monks is 2s, anyways. So if you want faster gameplay, those are good classes to play... though it won't make a difference if you can't manage your uptime.

Heck, even on Titan Ex as a Ninja, the only time I disconnect from the boss is for Gaols, adds, or if the line bombs land in a very specific pattern. Otherwise, I can just alter my position a little bit and stay DPSing on the boss.