Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Harkon

Vyemm Raider
I've got a couple friends on Balmung, from their warnings, you just need to watch out for naked male catpeople cybersexing everywhere.
I should start screenshotting the weird places I find them. (Dont walk into the wrong house on highbridge and keep to yourself at camp bronze lake.)

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
For first time players, should I skip most of the kill X bears and collect Y bear asses side quests? That seems to be the nature of most of the side quests I have come across with my first character. He is level 15, has done every single quest I have come across, and is now 2-3 levels above the mob level for my current quests. I've not come close to dying yet so was thinking focusing on main story, class quests, fates, leves and hunter log and skipping the side quests is best thing to do. I may be under leveled but I'm fine with the extra challenge.

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
For first time players, should I skip most of the kill X bears and collect Y bear asses side quests? That seems to be the nature of most of the side quests I have come across with my first character. He is level 15, has done every single quest I have come across, and is now 2-3 levels above the mob level for my current quests. I've not come close to dying yet so was thinking focusing on main story, class quests, fates, leves and hunter log and skipping the side quests is best thing to do. I may be under leveled but I'm fine with the extra challenge.
For the most part, Yes.

However, I would ensure doing any of the quests (or side quests) listed in the link below as they unlock content.

Guide:progression and Level Locked Content - Gamer Escape's Final Fantasy XIV (FFXIV, FF14) wiki

Harkon

Vyemm Raider
You will want some of those side quests for alternate classes.

You can turn in quests on your gathering classes to help with the excessive grind on those if your interested in them at all.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
They're a nice source of garbage free gear, and some gold, but that's about it. They're not particularily good xp and they're almost all terrible, it's just the usual mmo quest grind stuff for people who would rather solo to cap. If you're a class that gets fast dungeon queues, dungeons are way better. Even if you're not, dungeon queue+FATEs/Leves is better, the only quests you need to do are the story quests and a few quests here and there to unlock dungeons and shit(but it's almost always a NPC telling you to go check the dungeon entrance and then it unlocks, there's no like, quest chain with a dungeon at the end).

And yeah you won't really die leveling, other than maybe some class quests that have weird objectives.

Vlett

Lord Nagafen Raider
Definitely. Following the story should be the priority as you level up your first class.

I'm on Balmung so can outfit you if you want some good leveling gear. I have all the crafting stuff maxxed.

If you can fight your way through the hordes of ERPers to reach me that is.
Vlett Byrn is the name I'm rolling here. I'm playing on ps4, so you might have to send me a few tells before the ping catches my attention. Doing Glad / paly first, while the wife does the white mage line.

We're in a clan, guild, whatever it's called for the teleport / exp boost. Basically I have 9 days of 10% exp bonuses from a perk friends there have attached.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
Don't forget if your starting/returning, eat the bullshit food while leveling. It's not worth anything since you won't be dying much, but all food has a 3% exp bonus built into it.

Unless you want that crit/spell etc food buff that you don't need, stay away from the AH. Just go buy a stack of cheap fish and eat it like salt cod in Limsa for pennies.

3% doesn't seem like much but when you're in dungeons/FATEs it adds up over time.

Explosivo_sl

shitlord
I really can't decide how I should spend my time in this game. I just finished grinding out the relic books. With the expansion only a few months away, and SE giving vague information that the current relics will be phased out, I'm thinking I should just get a shiva weapon and be done with it. I suppose leveling jobs for cross class abilities or just leveling another job to 50 will be my new goal!

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
I really can't decide how I should spend my time in this game. I just finished grinding out the relic books. With the expansion only a few months away, and SE giving vague information that the current relics will be phased out, I'm thinking I should just get a shiva weapon and be done with it. I suppose leveling jobs for cross class abilities or just leveling another job to 50 will be my new goal!
Thinking about:
1. Leveling the new classes
2. Grinding Atmas, Books, Light etc
3. Paying/farming for material to slot

...makes me realize I'm kind of done with the whole Zodiac shit unless something changes. I got one BLM staff at Materia phase, one PLD sword at Zenith Atmas and just got the basic Zenith for a BRD.

I think from here on out with every class (even w/e main I will decide on), I'm just going to go for second BIS from whatever drops. It's just not worth it overall to finish the highest levels of the game from what I can tell unless you just want bragging rights.

I'm sorta okay with the grinding since that's MMOs in general, but the insane amount of costs to upgrade weapons are stupid. IV's on my server are going anywhere from 475k-575k depending on day and that's not even a Vet server. For that price you can buy 3 Mastercraft Demis and just slot up crafting gear for a better bang for the buck instead.

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm sorta okay with the grinding since that's MMOs in general, but the insane amount of costs to upgrade weapons are stupid. IV's on my server are going anywhere from 475k-575k depending on day and that's not even a Vet server. For that price you can buy 3 Mastercraft Demis and just slot up crafting gear for a better bang for the buck instead.
The IV's can be a huge burden, especially as mending them to your weapon can go as low as 50%. I think I spent around 9 million getting mine completed for my BLM. That being said, you're not required to go with IV's and can always go the route of splitting your secondaries across three attributes, instead of two. The impact isn't that substantial and you can always go back and change them later. Don't let them stand in the way of continuing on to your Novus.

If you still don't want to go that route, I would aim for the Shiva weapon if you need something that's a little more potent. That fight is pretty easy and can result in a i115 weapon in as little as 5x runs depending on your luck.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
BLM's kinda one of the cheaper ones though, since you can tri stat at pretty much no loss, and spellspeed IV is cheaper than det/crit if you want to max one too. Not quite the same when you're a bard for example and skill speed is pure garbage and so is every other stats, you can skip accuracy but the problem is you're forced into accuracy regardless due to gear being limited by what doesn't have skillspeed/has crit, so it's pretty terrible. Hopefully they make spellspeed/skillspeed less shitty, they said they will but I'll wait to see.

Poetics weapon tome will probably drop next patch from WoD or whatever. Can just WoD armor+Poetics weapon over 3weeks and you're good to go. Tbh you're good to go with i110 soldiery stuff already, unless you're doing final coil.

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
BLM's kinda one of the cheaper ones though, since you can tri stat at pretty much no loss, and spellspeed IV is cheaper than det/crit if you want to max one too. Not quite the same when you're a bard for example and skill speed is pure garbage and so is every other stats, you can skip accuracy but the problem is you're forced into accuracy regardless due to gear being limited by what doesn't have skillspeed/has crit, so it's pretty terrible. Hopefully they make spellspeed/skillspeed less shitty, they said they will but I'll wait to see.
The point I was making was that he could do tri-stats to get past the gil barrier so he can move forward on his relic quest. I'm assuming he wants to get his Zodiac prior to the release of the expansion and getting hung up on secondary stats is just wasting time.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
The point I was making was that he could do tri-stats to get past the gil barrier so he can move forward on his relic quest. I'm assuming he wants to get his Zodiac prior to the release of the expansion and getting hung up on secondary stats is just wasting time.
Good practical advice.

Pyros seemed to be arguing a different point akin to: "Yeah well sure your Rolls-Royce is expensive, but you should see how much my Maybach costs and then get back to me", especially when the Rosenbooger bow for BRD was cheap comparable alternative for a long time.

I already have a 110 staff for two months as alternative I had been using and 120 seems easy to get since I came back, which was the point I was originally making. In terms ofsheer cost and time alone, it didn't seem worth it to actually keep going the Novus route other than for bragging rights it seemed to me.

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
I already have a 110 staff for two months as alternative I had been using and 120 seems easy to get since I came back, which was the point I was originally making. In terms ofsheer cost and time alone, it didn't seem worth it to actually keep going the Novus route other than for bragging rights it seemed to me.
You're absolutely right. The relic isn't really going to ever be a practical weapon at this stage of the game for most classes, unless you've already progressed to the Zodiac. With the release of 2.55 this week, along with the assumption that theEncrypted Tomestonewill now drop in WoD, you'll now be able to easily get an i120 weapon (which will be upgradable to a i130).

I'm still working on mine, mainly because I've invested so much time into it and I want to have it wrapped up in times for Heavensward. While it is a hellofalot of grinding, I appreciate that they've actually tied a quest/lore to it instead of the GW2 route for legendaries which equated to nothing but mindless grinding and a RNG slot machine.
smile.png

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
You're absolutely right. The relic isn't really going to ever be a practical weapon at this stage of the game for most classes, unless you've already progressed to the Zodiac. With the release of 2.55 this week, along with the assumption that theEncrypted Tomestonewill now drop in WoD, you'll now be able to easily get an i120 weapon (which will be upgradable to a i130).

I'm still working on mine, mainly because I've invested so much time into it and I want to have it wrapped up in times for Heavensward. While it is a hellofalot of grinding, I appreciate that they've actually tied a quest/lore to it instead of the GW2 route for legendaries which equated to nothing but mindless grinding and a RNG slot machine.
smile.png
Are you basing that on the assumption that the expansion won't have some method to upgrade the relics and will instead just replace them? I just started playing so still have a long ways to go but the relic weapon quest looked like something that would be worthwhile to pursue.

Lastly, knowing the psyche of the typical MMO gamer, after putting in a lot of effort to acquire a relic weapon, don't you think the large majority of them will get ticked off if their relic weapon becomes obsolete? From a newb player's perspective, seems like a bad PR move on SE's part if they don't have a way to upgrade them in the expansion.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Are you basing that on the assumption that the expansion won't have some method to upgrade the relics and will instead just replace them? I just started playing so still have a long ways to go but the relic weapon quest looked like something that would be worthwhile to pursue.

Lastly, knowing the psyche of the typical MMO gamer, after putting in a lot of effort to acquire a relic weapon, don't you think the large majority of them will get ticked off if their relic weapon becomes obsolete? From a newb player's perspective, seems like a bad PR move on SE's part if they don't have a way to upgrade them in the expansion.
Did you ever play Everquest?

Girls.png

Harkon

Vyemm Raider
What will most likely happen is a continuation of the quest chain in the expansion with an entry point for expansion relics probably with some pre-reqs they need to complete first.