Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
That was going on since Alpha. That's one of the questions I wanted an answer too. We played around it by going inside the telegraph while it was activated, but even with that the server reports your position different then what you see on your client so you could still die.
This was fixed back around Patch 2.1. If I remember correctly, at launch, the server updated your character's position once very 0.3 seconds. They basically applied a fix where they reduced it to 0.1 seconds in all high-level content, trials and PvP.

Harkon

Vyemm Raider
While there can still be cases where your out of the telegraph and get hit if you have poor latency its alot better then what it was.

Once the telegraph is gone you can go back into the area and the animation will still play over you though and you will take no damage.

Vinen

God is dead
The two worst things about the game (all in all a great game) was the "loose" proximity check/lag on ground ae's and the general ability DC's (preference but mad the game so painful for me outside of on BLM). The production quality of the game seemed so vastly superior on the story side then any other MMO I played in my life and the great music etc. I retired from MMO's but I'd be lying if I said I want to fire this bad boy up.

Did they ever make PVP remotely enjoyable? It was just flat pathetic when I quit.
PvP will never be anything more then sewage in a Square Enix based MMO. At least in FF11 they disguised it as a game... Ballista was fun when you had multi-hit weapons like Kraken Club... mmmm Kraken Club.

Watching a video makes me ask why all MMOs have to be made for the ADHD gotta press a BUTTON NOW generation. FF11 had the perfect pace...

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
A while back they tightened up the some of the player positional checking for instances but it still feels a bit loose especially when compared to WoW.

Some of the newer content / boss fights have axed telegraphing all together and those fights feel the best IMO, a trend I hope they continue with.
What do you mean by no telegraphing? You have to memorize the boss DDR or the raid just takes extra damage when the stuff happens?

Vinen

God is dead
This was fixed back around Patch 2.1. If I remember correctly, at launch, the server updated your character's position once very 0.3 seconds. They basically applied a fix where they reduced it to 0.1 seconds in all high-level content, trials and PvP.
Good to know. I was /slitwrist on Titan Hard Mode. I can deal with taking damage but dying because of poor implementation... no.

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
What do you mean by no telegraphing? You have to memorize the boss DDR or the raid just takes extra damage when the stuff happens?
There are a couple boss fights that don't advertise when it's going to happen is all. Stone Vigil (Hard) final boss and the Repelling Cannons in Final Coil Turn II, just to name a couple.

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
Finished my nexus weapon about a month late. Let the dungeon drop frustration begin.
heh, I was lucky on Zodiac. Aside from Snowcloak and Halatali (Hard), all my drops were in 1-5 runs. Got 4 on my first run, and 5 others were 2-3. =p Average # of runs all totalled, was about 3.2. So, naturally, doing Last Resort will mean it's like 10 runs each.

Saban_sl

shitlord
Aurum Vale and Dzaemel are the ones i really dont want to have to repeat. Fucking level sync and terrible dungeons to begin with.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
One good example would be the last raid fight in the game, turn 13. At some point, dragons appear on the edge of the arenas, then a few seconds later, will dive across. You have to look at where the dragons are and move out of their way, but there's no ground telegraph to tell you where they'll go. In another fight, you get phoenixes spawning around then tethering to someone, and they'll go in a straight line from there, and you can move the tether around to make hit no one else but you, or people can look at the trajectory and move out of the way, but no ground telegraph to show you exactly the path, you kinda have to think for yourself. There's still a bunch of ground telegraphs though, but I guess not as many.

I play from Europe and don't have an issue getting out of anything. People who do either have packet loss/really bad ping or are just not very good at moving right away. Then they see the animations not hit them but still take dmg and blame the netcode or whatever, but imo it's fine. It's just kinda weird how the graphics don't match the position check, and the circle/cast bar tend to be fairly affected by lag so for me, they're always a bit late(as in, if I cut it really close, I'll be out before it finishes casting but still get hit, but that's just when I start moving too slow anyway).

Resubbed to finish the story, good stuff. I believe FFXI might still be better, it had the best storyline in a mmo from what I've heard, but it's pretty solid. Mostly cutscenes and shit though, the last fight was kinda meh, though pretty fun in concept, that dragon is like HUGE. Lots of plot twists and lots of stuff was resolved, plus more stuff for the expansion. It goes well with the Coil storyline ending too which also solves most of the other plots, and basically is a true end to A Realm Reborn, rather than just another patch.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Tempted to try this again. I only stopped as the people I was raiding with stopped playing abruptly.

Curious if the company is still there, as it was named ISIS(from archer) long before all the ISIS stuff in the middle east these days.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Ah, you must have not been playing when it first came out if you don't know what I'm talking about

The party frames were really primitive at launch. You couldn't even track buffs, and more importantly debuffs correctly because the UI would only allow a certain amount to be registered in the frame.

White mages heals drew insane agro. The cries of a many dead white mage on Turn 4 still haunt me. hah

Anyone still playing since launch?
I was playing at launch. I'm a tank for the most part so this stuff didn't affect me like it affected you, I guess, telegraphs aside.

White mage heals, when I was still playing daily (just before Leviathan, I guess), were still insane aggro if handled poorly. The turn 4 example is familiar, yes.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Tempted to try this again. I only stopped as the people I was raiding with stopped playing abruptly.

Curious if the company is still there, as it was named ISIS(from archer) long before all the ISIS stuff in the middle east these days.
Yes, it's still there, and we haven't been forced to rename yet. I'm sure someone will complain eventually, given that even the show has dropped any mention of ISIS now.

Stave

Potato del Grande
Just finished the storyline. Damn... impressive SE, totally didn't expect that quality of story from an MMO. That was straight up oldschool Final Fantasy quality there. It sets up so much potential for the expansion as well.

Saban_sl

shitlord
Never thought i'd make it to the end of the beast tribe dailies but im only 8 days away from having them all finished. Doing dungeons for Zodiac is kinda boring me though, putting some time into black mage and might try and finish the story tomorrow.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Think I might try ninja, I assume you still just spam fates/leves/hunting log etc to level up secondary jobs?

Saban_sl

shitlord
Pretty sure you get really good exp from dungeons if you can stomach them. I grind Fates mostly for my other classes, plus hunting log and all that crap.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Really wishing I had done all this leveling during the double EXP earlier this year!

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Think I might try ninja, I assume you still just spam fates/leves/hunting log etc to level up secondary jobs?
Dungeons are better xp now, but DPS still gets shit queues so it's like, queue dungeons then do fates/leves/log. There's also a daily quest to do a random low level dungeon that gives close to a level worth of xp counting the dungeon xp too, so that's pretty nice, and a daily for guildhests too(which you might as well do too for leveling since they're per char, it's only 2 guildhests every 5levels though and stops at like 40 so it's not that much xp).

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Honestly... when levelling up my second class, I found FATEs to be faster than dungeons once I hit level 30, and that was with instant queues as a WAR.