Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
How is the Astrologian? It looked intriguing
It's alright, but objectively the worse healer out of the 3. It's not like far behind so you can clear everything with an AST, but there isn't much of a reason to bring an AST over the other 2 healers other than "we need a healer". Realistically if you want to raid, you'd want to roll WHM or SCH(SCH being the more interesting of the 2 since WHM is very healer-ish) to find a group more easily, AST are perfectly capable but it's known they're not as good and being amplified by idiots so some people straight up believe the class can't actually heal properly or whatever. Obviously, that also means they're more likely to receive buffs at some point.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It's alright, but objectively the worse healer out of the 3. It's not like far behind so you can clear everything with an AST, but there isn't much of a reason to bring an AST over the other 2 healers other than "we need a healer". Realistically if you want to raid, you'd want to roll WHM or SCH(SCH being the more interesting of the 2 since WHM is very healer-ish) to find a group more easily, AST are perfectly capable but it's known they're not as good and being amplified by idiots so some people straight up believe the class can't actually heal properly or whatever. Obviously, that also means they're more likely to receive buffs at some point.
That's disappointing to hear, I haven't gotten too far into AST yet but I figured with all the similar heals that WHM has, and all the buffing utility shit that AST would be THE go to healer for any group.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
Trying to get people in the duty finder to comprehend simple mechanics like Ravena makes me want to commit seppuku.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
You can pull 2 of those bees separately, which I think your supposed to do. You can't outheal 4 of those bastards trying to get off Final Sting or whatever it is.
That's the thing. Paladins/Warriors will pull all 5 and the mobs all die and I might have to pop like... shroud to get mana back 2/3 into the fight. Some will pull two, but most have grabbed all 5. But then Drks will consistently grab all 5 and they consistently (in my experience) take 2-2.5x as much healing throughput to stay alive, and half the time they end up in walking dead state so benev needs to happen. This could just be my own strange experience with them, but it is very noticeable to the point where I ask them to grab two bees first, yet they -still- come much closer to dying on the tree/2bees portion than any other tank by a large margin. Like I said, it doesn't happen all the time but it has been a trend with my Neverreap runs. Which thankfully I am done with for at least a week~

edit: I don't normally advocate using leves for combat classes, but 10-15 would be the exception. Hunting log abuse definitely, and make sure to hit both newblar guildhests for the first time completion bonus. With the armory bonus, it shouldn't take long at all to plow through those levels, but yeah, 10-15 is the driest portion of the game by far, imo.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
I disagree with this completely. Benefic might have 20 less potency and the class might have less "oh shit" buttons, but as long as the healer isn't retarded, ASTs are amazing. Cards are fantastic and I would always prefer to have an AST over a WHM.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Ive been doing fates at Aleport
aleport is pretty dead on Behemoth (i transfered from gilg since i had a few rl friends on here apparently)
frown.png
i ended up sticking around there anyway and doing them slowly.

about to hit 26 though so i'll have swiftcast for my whm
biggrin.png

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I disagree with this completely. Benefic might have 20 less potency and the class might have less "oh shit" buttons, but as long as the healer isn't retarded, ASTs are amazing. Cards are fantastic and I would always prefer to have an AST over a WHM.
On easier content probably, but the lack of Divine Seal/that other speed cooldown/Benediction is a huge problem for a main healer, in my opinion. That's the main issue with AST, cards are ok, but not really that great, obviously RNG based, but even getting the right cards you only end up getting 5%dmg 1/4 of the time, and most of the time it's gonna be less than that, due to some cards being straight up garbage in a raid setting(TP and MP cards, Spear if the timing isn't right, Bole in a lot of situations unless you're really going for maximum tank mitigation for a massive tank buster, spear and bole at least make good royal road but ewer and spire are fairly shit regardless of the situation, as long as you have a bard/mch). I'd say the overall boost to damage is going to be like 2% over time or less, which is nice but hardly a large factor unless the DPS check is super super tight or there's a very specific burn phase with a high DPS check. Meanwhile, the healing output in harder situations is a lot worse. Obviously when there's not too much healing required(like everything currently), then it's no problem and cards+better dots means the class is better than whm, but not by a whole lot, and the healing is definitely worse when shit gets tough(the general healing is the same mind you).

The class is definitely getting some buffs I'd say. Collective Uncounscious is pure fucking ass, Celestial Opposition has very limited uses considering its massive cooldown(I mostly use it to extend Aether for mp regen, and that's like really bad. I guess you can use it to extend a balance cards on raid, but the range is even shittier than the card range, which is already kinda shit, so you need people really packed, and that's a +5secs for a 2mins cd...), Lightspeed is only for when you need to be healing while moving for an extended period of time which in general doesn't happen and it has to be clicked off once you're done cause it's otherwise shit, Synastry has super situational uses, in which cases a lot of the time Cure III or Assize would be a fuckton better anyway.

That's the main core of the problem with AST, all these cooldowns, which ironically are also mostly 50+ abilities, stuff that you'd think would be class defining, are almost all equally shit. They have extremely situational usages and even during those situations they're not that good. If you compare to SCH new shit which is also super situational, the stuff is actually good in those situations. Sacrifice fairy+spread adlo before a large aoe burst? Shit does no damage. Spread Eye for an Eye before a split tank add phase? Great you now can benefit from extended Eye on both tanks for a while(which is like having Bole on both for 30-40seconds...). It's not really great in general situations, but in the key situations it'd be good in, it's excelent. AST cooldowns in comparison are just shit and you can play the class without using any of them and not see much of a difference, even in those specific situations.

You also have to remember the fairy healing was nerfed a lot. That means that the main healer in a raid is going to have to heal more. If your AST can't do it and the SCH keeps having to help, then you're losing any damage you're gaining from cards in the first place.

That said, as I said before, AST is fine for healing most stuff. I play mine and I put the SCH leveling on the back burner cause it's not a huge necessity, it's adequate enough and I'll get to the SCH once I have a DPS and tank leveled up. It's just that objectively I don't see any reason to take an AST in a raid over a WHM/SCH. Regardless of what I think, the general consensus is they're weak(which is a lot worse than what I think) so finding a raid spot will require convincing some people in some cases, which makes it more difficult to find a group. So unless you really don't want to play the other 2 healers, then there isn't much of a reason to play AST unless you're already in a static.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
I am an ilvl179 paladin. My buddy leveled his astro and then his white mage. When on his white mage we have no problems on the fish phase of Bismark ex. When on his astro I usually have to pop hallowed.

Astro adds nothing to a party except some rngeesus that never works out. They will probably be a great healer for content that is on farm.

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yoshi-P on the issues with the Mac Client.

Producer and Director Naoki Yoshida here.

We have received a great deal of feedback regarding the performance of the Mac version, as well as various problems which resulted from the information we provided prior to its release. For these issues, we apologize.

I would like to discuss the various issues with the client and their underlying causes. However, as this will make for a rather long explanation, I think it best that we begin with refunds.

?For customers who desire a refund

After careful consideration, due to the issues surrounding the Mac version, we have decided to offer a full refund to those who wish to receive one.

If you have purchased a copy of the Mac version of FINAL FANTASY XIV Online and wish to receive a refund, please contact the store or website from which you purchased it. Please note that the procedure will vary depending on the retailer.

If you purchased your copy from the Square Enix Online Store, please fill out the following form:

?Square Enix Online Store Refund Request Form for the Mac Version of FINAL FANTASY XIV Online
FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn Support Center

We have taken measures to ensure that this process goes smoothly regardless of how you purchased your copy. However, should you have difficulty, please contact the Square Enix Support Center by filling out the following form:

?Consultation Form Regarding Refunds for the Mac Version of FINAL FANTASY XIV Online
FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn Support Center

If you used game cards to purchase a subscription for use with the Mac version, once we have confirmed that you possess a Mac version license, we will refund your purchase.

?Insufficient communication of system requirements

I believe that the biggest problem with the Mac version release was the significant discrepancy between the performance of the product our development team produced and the expectations our customers had for it, which was due to the lack of information available on our product when sales commenced, as well as other issues. I would like to explain in detail how this happened.

Up until the official release of the Mac version on June 23rd, we were working to improve the client's performance. Consequently, the system requirements which we should have released were not made available in time, which was a serious problem.

Although our development and QA teams tested the client on Mac hardware, because of our last minute efforts to improve performance and the possibility that system requirements might change, we decided to prepare several versions of these requirements, with the one to be released depending on the final result. However, in the chaos leading up to the multi-platform launch of our expansion, we released incorrect requirements, which were not updated prior to the Mac version's official release.

While the development and operations teams, as well as our entire company, were involved in this mistake, it was I who ultimately made the decision to release the Mac version under these circumstances and therefore bear sole responsibility, and I sincerely apologize to you all.

Because of this situation, many of you purchased a product which your Mac hardware could not run at even the minimum system requirements, resulting in insufficient performance, for which many of you have expressed your dissatisfaction. Had we provided accurate information beforehand, I know many of you would not have purchased the Mac version, which is why we decided to offer full refunds. Once again, I apologize.

?Premature release of the Mac version prior to completion of final maintenance

In order to address several issues prior to the Mac version's release, we planned to conduct maintenance which would conclude on June 23rd at 6:00 PM (JST). However, due to our miscommunication with retailers, the Mac version was made available earlier than intended. As a result, some customers were able to download and play a pre-release build which suffered from performance problems. We apologize for this oversight.

?Regarding the temporary suspension of Mac version sales

We have judged that there is still a lack of information on the Mac version and its system requirements. We are planning to make an announcement which will include detailed information on the product, system requirements, and screen resolution. Until this is done, and I am personally satisfied that our users are adequately informed, we will be suspending the sale of the Mac version.

I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this will cause to those interested in purchasing the Mac version, and ask that you bear with us until sales recommence. For those who already have a Mac version of the game, as service itself will not be suspended, please rest assured you will be able to continue playing as before.

================================================== ==
?An Explanation on Mac Version Development Policy?

Along with various external sites, this thread has become a hot spot for speculation, but some of that speculation is being done with limited grasp of Mac OS and Boot Camp specifications, among other things. As such, I would like to take a moment to reiterate our policy on the development of the FFXIV Mac version and outline our future plans.

?The difference between Windows (including Boot Camp) and Mac versions

As Kasuga, our technical director and lead programmer, explained some days ago, the Mac version of FFXIV has been developed especially for Mac systems. It does not use a boot utility such as Boot Camp to run via a Windows OS on Mac hardware. Rather, it works by employing middleware developed by TransGaming (presently NVIDIA) to convert Windows' DirectX drawing method into OpenGL on Mac systems.

In case you are unfamiliar with Boot Camp, it is a means by which Mac hardware can be made to run a Windows OS, and separately from a Mac OS. For instance, if you were to use Boot Camp to run Windows7 on a Mac system, you would be able to install and run a Windows version of FFXIV. However, even though the game appears to be running on Mac hardware, it is strictly the Windows version, which uses DirectX. Please bear this point in mind.

If you were to compare a Windows version of FFXIV running in the above manner to a true Mac version of FFXIV, it would be a comparison across different systems with different technologies. This results in a fundamental difference in performance.

?The difference between DirectX and OpenGL

Supported by Windows, DirectX technology is geared towards games. Microsoft developed DirectX specifically for Windows platforms, and so it doesn't work on Mac systems. Instead, Mac systems use OpenGL for 3D rendering, a technology that is fundamentally different.

OpenGL is a general-purpose, multi-platform application programming interface (API) for rendering 2D and 3D vector graphics. As OpenGL provides only the API toolset, its performance is dependent on implementation.

As an MMORPG, FFXIV has to display many complex objects at once, and as such it is unavoidably demanding on systems. If FFXIV were to be developed in native OpenGL for Mac OS, it is expected that there would be a performance gap of approximately 30% compared the DirectX version. (Please note that this is not a general performance comparison between DirectX and OpenGL-this difference is unique to FFXIV.)

This difference becomes more pronounced when running the game on lower spec Mac systems. For instance, a low-spec Windows PC may run the game adequately, but a Mac system with equivalent hardware may suffer from greatly reduced frame rates, further exacerbating the performance gap.

And so, due to differences in OSes and technology, even when hardware is comparable, it is impossible to achieve parity in performance between Windows and Mac versions of FFXIV.

As Mac users will know, relatively few high-end 3D games are released for Mac systems compared to Windows. (This is believed to be due to poor cost-benefit performance.) As a result, it has become common practice for Mac users to turn to boot utilities such as Boot Camp to install a Windows OS in order to play Windows versions of games.

?Why make a Mac version?

Upon reading the sections above, users of the Windows version may wonder why we decided to create and sell a Mac version of the game despite knowing that the performance would be not be as optimized. After all, boot utilities such as Boot Camp can be used to play a Windows version of the game on a Mac system.

Even though it appears to work on a Mac OS, however, the game is in fact running on a Windows OS. While it's true that there are performance issues with the Mac version of FFXIV when compared to its Windows counterpart, there were calls for a Mac version. Some people want to do things properly and run a Mac game on a Mac PC, while others have a high-end Mac and aren't bothered by the difference in performance. It was to cater to such users that we made the decision to make and sell a Mac version.

As we moved ahead, however, we committed a great many mistakes, in particular with the preliminary announcements, which resulted in a significant gap between the level of performance we sought to deliver and that which our players expected. I would like to offer my deepest apologies for the disappointment these misunderstandings have caused.

With regards to our decision to use middleware rather than having native OpenGL, the biggest reason behind this choice was development cost. As I mentioned earlier, very few games are sold for Mac systems, and the prevailing opinion is that the majority of Mac users aren't interested in games. This results in an extremely high risk for development.

As I explained previously, the nature of FFXIV's graphics as an MMORPG are such that, even if we were to develop in native OpenGL, it would be exceedingly difficult to provide a level of performance that matched that of a system using DirectX. (Though it may be possible in games with less complicated graphics, there would be a much bigger tuning gap to bridge for FFXIV.)

Taking into account FFXIV's high-end graphics, and the need to simultaneously render multiple objects, we determined that it would be near impossible to provide the same frame rate in native OpenGL that could be achieved with DirectX. Any steps we took to improve the framerate for native OpenGL, such as reducing the number of characters on-screen and simplifying graphical expression, would impact the overall quality of the game and its graphics and leave users wondering why a game developed for native OpenGL looked worse than it did on DirectX. It was this high cost of development versus the poor potential performance that steered us towards our eventual decision.

We came to the conclusion that employing the assistance of outside engineers specialized in Mac systems and making use of middleware would be the best road to take in realizing a Mac version for FFXIV. These engineers will continue to roll out dedicated updates, and middleware improvements will also be ongoing.

As Kasuga has previously commented, the FFXIV team will be also be hard at work on updates for the Mac version, and will continue to push for the best performance possible. With the adoption of DirectX11 for Mac, and the replacement of OpenGL with a new graphics API in Apple's next OS, the fundamental gap in current performance issues may soon be eliminated.

It bears repeating that hefty hardware demands must be met before OpenGL can support FFXIV's advanced graphics and simultaneous rendering of multiple 3D objects with the same stability as DirectX.

Once more, I sincerely apologize for not providing a preliminary explanation of this issue. As stated above, we will be sure to make timely announcements detailing system requirements and more to prevent any similar confusion in the future.

?Regarding your feedback on performance issues

We have received a large amount of feedback concerning the Mac version, but as there was no official template for Mac users, we were unable to receive an accurate report of system specs.

As was mentioned previously, system requirements were late in being announced, with the final announcement falling after the release date. Please accept our apologies for the confusion caused by this delay in communication.

We will soon be posting a comprehensive announcement for the Mac version, including details on system requirements and screen resolutions, after referencing the information found in this announcement, you are still experiencing issues with performance or running the game in general, please use the Mac-exclusive form to file a report. We will prioritize any issues that interfere with running the game on machines that meet the requirements.

With regards to IMEs, the Mac version currently only supports the OS's default IME, but we plan to provide support for additional input editors in future updates. For those Mac users who prefer a different IME, we ask for your patience and understanding until these updates are implemented.

?In closing

The mistakes made by the development and operation teams in the lead up to this release have caused considerable confusion and trouble. To our customers who eagerly anticipate purchasing, or who have already ordered, their copy of the Mac version of FINAL FANTASY XIV, and to all of our distributors, we offer our deepest and most heartfelt apologies.

We aim to recommence sales of the Mac version as soon as we are satisfied that the product information and system requirements are properly prepared.

And to those players who are already playing the Mac version in the required system environment, we deeply apologize for the ongoing inconveniences.

We will continue to do our utmost to ensure that, no matter the version, FINAL FANTASY XIV is a game that deserves your time and support.
tldr version: Refunds if you want them and Macs suck for games.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Spear is an amazing card, why would you ever Royal Road that? Give it to a Dragoon, Ninja, or Summoner and their DPS will spike pretty significantly after it wears off. If you don't have any of those, you can give it to yourself for more emergency heals or more cards. If you're going to RR anything, RR Spire or Ewer. Ewer at least can be handy sometimes but Spire is just completely useless. (IMO, in order for it to be useful, it would need to drop the TP cost of 80 TP abilities to 60, and it falls just short of that.)

Also, fairy healing is currently managed by spaghetti scaling and I expect it to be adjusted after Alexander Normie releases. (Currently, as your gear gets better, your SCH Physick heals more but your Fairy's Embrace heals less.) I fully expect Alexander Savage will be World 1sted by a SCH/AST combo.

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
RE: Pyros + AST

Largely in agreement with the cooldowns. If Lightspeed reduced recast times by about 1.0s-1.5s it would be far more awesome than it is now (and would have to have a duration nerf, likely). As it is, it doesn't really merit its current functionality except for "rapid" AEs.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
RE: Pyros + AST

Largely in agreement with the cooldowns. If Lightspeed reduced recast times by about 1.0s-1.5s it would be far more awesome than it is now (and would have to have a duration nerf, likely). As it is, it doesn't really merit its current functionality except for "rapid" AEs.
Being able to heal while moving is actually an amazing benefit and can be used to trivialize some mechanics.

For example, think about Megaflare Dives from T13 (or just Megaflare in general). If one of the people that got the marker took damage from a random splash flare or one of the pepperonis, the stacking flare would most likely kill them, especially since the healers weren't able to heal that person since they had to be moving (with the exception of Lustrate/Bene). Lightspeed could save someone from otherwise certain death in this case.

Other scenarios include vines from T6, Pyretic from WoD (which deals damage for every half second or so of casting), the third and fourth phases of T9, and the add phase of T11 (if stacking in for the splash or receiving lightning).

There are many applications for instant cast heals that don't change the GCD, they might just not seem as practical as other heal cooldowns.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah but you have to remember T13 didn't have WHM with instant heals(which they got 2 of), so it was all lustrates, plus lustrates were shit on non tanks due to being % based, which now they aren't. For it to be worth it, you need to cast several heals while moving, and that's very infrequent. Also every healer can swiftcast a heal if needed. Pyretic does damage to people hitting anything so not sure it'd help much there, maybe a bit. I'm not sure which part of T9 or 11 it'd be useful on, most of the movement doesn't prevent you from healing people in time. The situation where it'd be useful would be like, boss targets you with an aoe that repeatedly follows you(think WoD last boss, the beam thing that follows people), now you can ligthspeed and keep healing.

If you just cast it for one heal, it's like a terrible swiftcast, and you have to go cancel it after you're done which is clunky as shit. Though that's an UI issue.

Spear is bad in most cases unless you time it right. At the start of the fight it's awesome, after that? Meh. If you extend it to 30secs(either royal road or time dilation), you will catch stuff on enough classes, but if you don't, you literally have to ask people "anyone got cooldowns coming up?" then they have to tell you then you have to decide if it's worth casting or not. It's a lot of busywork just to increase DPS by a minor amount, since unless it's a large amount of cooldowns at once, it won't affect DPS all that much. So it's either good on pull, or about 3mins later when Raging Strikes+whatever else comes back up. It's annoying to use and situational, and misusing it makes your card do jackshit. Non extended you can easily cast it on a dragoon, ninja or summoner and have it do exactly nothing, because it's only 15secs duration and it's quite possible they don't have a cooldown refreshing in that time, or it'd be a minor one(20%cd reduction on leg sweep alone is nothing for example). If you aoe it, it's non extended in duration, so it could do nothing too but even if it does, it's only 10% so generally it'll shave a handful of seconds off cooldowns. It's nice to self cast before you aether though, increases mana efficiency a lot.

I think you're overestimating the cards, especially in 8man. At first I thought cards would be better in 8man, but I think they might actually be worse. In 8man, if you don't get spear/arrow on royal road to buff the grp and position so you can buff everyone, the effects are weak for the overall raid DPS. Giving a single DPS 15% dmg for 30secs by using a minute worth of cards and a 2mins cd is pretty decent, but it's not great, that's gonna end up being a small % of raid DPS. Buffing everyone by 5% with a minute cd is better, but it's still not much Realistically, you're probably only getting good cards combos every 1:30-2minutes, and the effect of the cards when spread out over that period of time and averaged over the entire raid are just not a large factor.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well they ran WHM/SCH for the first 60 content cause it'd be faster to get the WHM/SCH to 60 first than do AST, I assume, doesn't mean they won't run AST for the rest. I'd be kinda surprised if they replaced WHM with AST. And I don't see anyone replacing SCH with AST, this is a net loss in every regards, so it's mostly that WHM swap, which could happen if they feel healing will be fine and they want more damage.