Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
vs mobs: I typically stayed in defensive stance all the time while leveling and pulled as many mobs as I possibly could
vs bosses: I typically opened in defensive stance then hit offensive stance

Also, if you need anything on Levi feel free to hmu - Something Wicked in game or Ehrgeix#1732 in discord, I main warrior.

I think i've seen you around on some Levi hunts possibly, name looks familiar.

I'm also on Levi if you need anything, Noodleface Noodleface - Loric Aran'dir in game. Also a WAR main, tho I haven't had any time for statics this expansion.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'll add you guys to my friends list later, just for random in-game questions. Thanks.

Not sure I'll 'main' warrior but I like it more and more as I level it.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
I'll add you guys to my friends list later, just for random in-game questions. Thanks.

Not sure I'll 'main' warrior but I like it more and more as I level it.
Here is the main snippet breaking it down why it's preferred offensive over defensive stance.

Basically; the defensive bonus that tank stance provides isn't worth the dps that the tanks lose from it. Taking paladin; Shield Oath reduces damage taken by 20%, pretty good. But It reduces the damage they deal by approximately 25%, (15% from Shield Oath itself and 10% from not having Sword Oath) Lets say a healer gains an extra damage spell per 4 spells because youre in tank stance (They wont, its more like 1 every 20, but lets make it approximately equivalent) So the healer is gaining about 25% damage from you being in tank stance (in this skewed scenario). So it becomes a comparison of whats more optimal; 25% of tank damage or 25% of healer damage Tanks have a higher potential damage ceiling, so their 25% damage is worth more. And thus is the avenue that is taken. But in reality, its not a |25 - 25| comparison its like |25-10| or |25-5|, in which case its even worse. There are cases in which using tank stance is correct, if it can save your own life, or save the run. Then yeah, its optimal. But generally its not because the extra survivability is outweighed by the damage loss associated with it

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Thanks for the info pyros. I might be wrong. But I thought the story skips came with Max level gear, or currency to buy it?

Either way, I'm broke as shit obviously. Might be worth doing hw questing just to get money

Level skips come with a set of Shire gear(lvl 60 tome gear), but not sure story skips come with anything. Not sure what lvl you are, but generally you shouldn't have to actually buy much gear, especially past 50. Ironworks and Shire use Poetics tomestones, which is an "endgame" currency, only for the old endgames from past expansions, you get a ton of them doing lvl 50 content including 1st time bonus on each 50 dungeon(and there's like 15+), as well as lvl 50 dungeon roulette and alliance raid roulette(assuming you land on a 50 or 60 dungeon, which is guaranteed if you're not 70 obviously). You can buy a full set of ironworks in just a couple of days with these, and then keep doing them as you level so you have poetics ready for when you hit 60 for shire.

Fennin

Golden Knight of the Realm
Spent the day reading about FFXIV. I have one question for the warriors.

I don't have my DPS stance yet (I think I get one at 52? something?). Do you typically stance dance in dungeons or hang in defense stance? Maybe it'll make more sense when I get it.

Warrior has the most peculiar tank stance of the three tanks, while paladin and dark knight have 20% flat mitigation, warrior gets 20% to healing magic only. The reason this is important is at higher levels a large % of single target healing is done via OGCD abilities. A spell listed as an "ability" does not count as healing magic. For example white mages don't get their single target OGCD until 60, while scholars get lustrate at 50. As you get higher and higher in level the value of staying out of tank stance increases, due to how healers heal damage (less hardcasted abilties). Also important to know how warrior damage works with berserk and inner release and that spenders like inner beast ignore the defiance damage penalty. All of the rotation information below is for bosses with slow melee attacks.

Get as close to 100 wrath as possible, Hold Infuriate for it. : Heavy Swing > Berserk > FC(IB) > Inf > FC(IB) > Maim > Upheaval (when you get it) > Path > FC(IB)

1-51 you want to stay in Defiance stance so you can build gauge for inner beast. Steel cyclone if more than one target. Unchained as necessary.
52-53 you want to stay in Deliverance as must as possible on bosses while building gauge, but you still berserk burst in Defiance. Unchained as necessary.
54 at this point you want to spend as much time in Deliverance as you are comfortable, and use Fel cleave during burst windows instead of inner beast.

Last edited:

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
General rules imo for tanking in dungeons:

Trash packs: Always tank stance. There are some fringe cases for DPS stance, but generally only if you can only pull one pack or whatever, or you're vastly overgeared(dungeons that aren't item level synced at old caps for example, especially when trash didn't hurt). Rotate cooldowns, spam aoes.

Boss: Start in tank stance, secure threat(this depends on the party composition and how geared and/or retarded your DPS are, it can be nothing with smart people+ninja to having to do 2 full threat combos in tank stance at the start with retards who don't use threat moves with good gear). Then switch to DPS. Make sure to cooldown tank busters and keep some cooldowns up the rest of the time. Don't do this on certain hard hitting bosses if your gear is shit, especially in leveling dungeons, these are the worst compared to cap dungeons because of the defense formula fluctuating rapidly, or if your healer looks vastly undergeared/retarded or your DPS are eating all his attention by stepping into every fucking thing. But generally it's safe.

That's for pubs, if you play with people you know you can definitely do better, but for pubs I restrict myself to that, and I adjust based on what I see is happening around.

Also obviously due to how warrior works, do what Fennin said before you have Fel Cleave, you don't really want to "no stance" content before you have Deliverance and you don't want to sit on full rage either once you do but don't have Fel Cleave yet.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Gotcha. I wasnt sure if it was actually stance dancing multiple times but sounds like establish threat and go ham when you can.

Cybsled

FYI, for the ff15 crossover next week, the car mount will cost 200k MGP, so get earning if you don’t already have that.

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Apparently my software token THAT I JUST GOT YESTERDAY, logged out on my phone. I didn't write down an emergency removal password because i can't read, so I'm locked out of everything. No 24/7 support so I have to wait until tomorrow to play.

Horse shit. This is 2019, gotta be a better way.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Apparently my software token THAT I JUST GOT YESTERDAY, logged out on my phone. I didn't write down an emergency removal password because i can't read, so I'm locked out of everything. No 24/7 support so I have to wait until tomorrow to play.

Horse shit. This is 2019, gotta be a better way.
Welcome to Square Enix support, or maybe just FF14 support? not sure

• 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
it's called outsourcing and when they outsource NA to NA we outsource to india and don't even pay for 24/7.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Oh I'm a ffxi diehard veteran. This is the least bullshit thing I've dealt with. Just kinda lame setting up to pull a long night and Bam can't login.

I'd be less mad except I googled it and people said it's a common thing on googlefi when the phone switches carriers

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I mean it's the same for all 2FA shit, always note down the removal password somewhere and that fixes all your issues. Everytime people complain about this, it's because they "lost" or "don't have" the removal password, when the whole point of the removal password is to avoid these situations.

Alternatively you can just not use 2FA. You lose a free teleport I guess but not much else, security wise if you have a unique password for the game shit's about as secure. At least I've never been "hacked" in the 20years I've been playing mmos even though I'm registered to hundreds of forums and other shit sites that got all their info leaked.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
What's lame is the email says login to the website to confirm 2fa is on, btw the password will.be there. I didn't see that part so didn't do it. It's my fault, but still sucks.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I always prefer physical tokens if they give the option, because the removal code is on the back and you aren't going to get screwed every time you change phones, carriers, or other issues.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yeah I turned off that 2FA shit after realizing the "One-Time Password" was in fact not something I only had to type in "One-Time". One less free port, big whoop.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Hey, even SE has to let the other MMO companies out there do at least one thing better than FFXIV.

AMIRITE