Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well for this time zone, japanese servers might be better, but more lag and obviously sometimes you'll be in full japanese groups(though there's large english speaking communities on most jp servers). There's the unofficial australian server too, not sure which it is, issue being everyone else will be lagging balls, so completing hard content might prove to be difficult when your entire group keeps standing in shit. A high populated server like Gilg would probably be ok, but you'd still play in the empty hours.

Oh btw, free weekend coming up, "From Friday, January 30, 2015 at 12:00 a.m. to Monday, February 2, 2015 at 12:00 a.m. (PST)"

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, ISIS is still up and running, Krip and I have been inviting people as we find them, and I know Krip/Alkorin have some LS' for general Rerolled communication and grouping/etc. I'm generally up pretty late most of the time when I'm on (midnightish+ occasionally, more in the coming weeks)

As for a guide? It's pretty intuitive, since you really can't screw anything up for the most part. You can be every class, there's not a ton of unlocking to get access to them, and just progressing the main story will unlock all the game features. The rest is really just playing.

Saban_sl

shitlord
Would be the best thing ever if they changed Atma/Alex from fates so you could earn them on any class if you have the corresponding item in your inventory.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Did they ever make it so you can download without being subbed or will you have to download the whole shebang when the free play starts?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Did they ever make it so you can download without being subbed or will you have to download the whole shebang when the free play starts?
They didn't, but you can make a trial account right now, download the game+patches, then you'll be ready to log in with your original account when it goes up.

Saban_sl

shitlord
It's like they designed the sylphlands to be as annoying and frustrating as possible, and then added dailies in to sweeten the misery pot.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah sylph daillies are retarded, even more so than ixal stupid gathering daillies. Luckily once you're done, you never have to do them again, unlike Ixal.

Got my Zodiac weapon done yesterday, it took a week on that step but it was A LOT of dungeons(90ish), I went at it pretty hardcore. The last few ones were the worst too, not only were the slowest to drop, but since they were the last I had to chain queue to the same dungeon over and over. Early on the quest wasn't so bad, I could queue 5 dungeons, take what pops, if I didn't want to do one of them anymore I'd just pick another and so on, but once I got to the last 3 it was getting annoying, and then once I cleared those I still had a single dungeon to queue after(Stone vigil HM, 13times, 8 of which were on the last day in a row). I did get a lot of materials and seals in the process so that's kinda nice.

The weapon is a pretty big jump in power too, like eyeballing it it's a 20% damage boost and about nearly the same for healing, which is a pretty fucking big deal. On a war tank I can crit adlo during convalescence and get a 5k+ shield on them, which makes even the strongest tank buster attacks do shit damage, it's pretty hilarious. Sadly "only" 30% crit.

Saban_sl

shitlord
Yeah sylph daillies are retarded, even more so than ixal stupid gathering daillies. Luckily once you're done, you never have to do them again, unlike Ixal.

Got my Zodiac weapon done yesterday, it took a week on that step but it was A LOT of dungeons(90ish), I went at it pretty hardcore. The last few ones were the worst too, not only were the slowest to drop, but since they were the last I had to chain queue to the same dungeon over and over. Early on the quest wasn't so bad, I could queue 5 dungeons, take what pops, if I didn't want to do one of them anymore I'd just pick another and so on, but once I got to the last 3 it was getting annoying, and then once I cleared those I still had a single dungeon to queue after(Stone vigil HM, 13times, 8 of which were on the last day in a row). I did get a lot of materials and seals in the process so that's kinda nice.

The weapon is a pretty big jump in power too, like eyeballing it it's a 20% damage boost and about nearly the same for healing, which is a pretty fucking big deal. On a war tank I can crit adlo during convalescence and get a 5k+ shield on them, which makes even the strongest tank buster attacks do shit damage, it's pretty hilarious. Sadly "only" 30% crit.
Having to do Aurum vale repeatedly will probably be what kills that stage for me.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Gold Saucer patch confirmed for Feb 24th. They showed a bunch of stuff, Fenrir/Adamantoise mounts as rewards, looks pretty solid overall.

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
The closer I get to 50, the more daunting it seems. There's just so much to do.
There is so much post 50 content its really amazing. Square, by far, understands how to build out the end game better than the rest.

As an aside, I greatly appreciated that Hard Mode dungeons are entirely different than their regular counterparts vs. WoW ,which just ups the mechanics needed, but otherwise is the same experience. This game is a gem.

Explosivo_sl

shitlord
I have to say, I genuinely like using my ps4 controller to play this game. That said, I'm going to have to use my cross bar a little more efficiently if I even am going to try to do endgame content on the ps4.

Do any of you gents main a paladin as a console player, and if so, would you mind sharing your cross bar setup? I just learned about the enhanced cross bar function (ie pressing L2+R2 or R2+L2 bringing up a new bar) and have been trying to map out where I want everything so I can start to train my muscle memory. Any advice would be very appreciated.

One other thing: are the "next target" and "previous target" functions in the general actions the same as pressing left/right on the d-pad? I'm still trying to figure out the best way to move between targets.

Edit: obviously, some of this comes down to sheer preference, I'm just looking for some examples of what others do to inform my own setup.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well in general a good crossbar setup has all your often used abilities on main bar, and cooldowns on other bars, with a normal line bar somewhere on the screen with the cooldowns so you can see when stuff is up at all times.

For a paladin, I'd do Halone chain+Spirits Within on front buttons and Shield Lob, Provoke, Fight or Flight and Riot Blade on Dpad for R1(or well R2 is default but I prefer R1), then Flash+Circle of Scorn and Shield Bash and Shield Swipe on the other front. Then I'd put all the cooldowns on whatever you're comfortable with on the Dpad left and the secondary bars and that's pretty much it. Paladin is very simple overall because it has so few active skills and so many cooldowns. After that it's just a matter of remembering where the cooldowns are, but you put like the common ones(Rampart Sentinel Convalescence Foresight) together on L1(L2) Dpad, then the less common on the other tabs(Hallowed Ground, Bulwark, Tempered Will, Bloodbath). Then that leaves a few buttons to put like the 2 oaths and Awareness and Cover. Maybe Stoneskin too somewhere. This should more than easily fit on the 2 enhanced bars, in fact if you combine the 2 oaths in one macro(which I think works, I know on my ninja I have both Venoms as a macro and pressing it just swaps to the other one), actually fit on a single one if I'm not mistaken, leaving the 2nd one for shit like mount, potion, recall, TP, marks and whatever else you want.

Also for selecting targets, a friend mentionned that you can press a button then use up/down on the D pad to scroll through the enemy list that pops when you're in combat. Great for picking up adds and shit, or for selecting a particular enemy in a sea of enemies based on their threat(the one that's not red isn't on you, so you just scroll down to it and hit provoke+shield lob or provoke+halone if in range). I wanna say it's L1(the actual L1, not my rebound L1) but you might want to check around, just pull 2 random lvl 1 mobs and see which works.

Explosivo_sl

shitlord
Well in general a good crossbar setup has all your often used abilities on main bar, and cooldowns on other bars, with a normal line bar somewhere on the screen with the cooldowns so you can see when stuff is up at all times.

For a paladin, I'd do Halone chain+Spirits Within on front buttons and Shield Lob, Provoke, Fight or Flight and Riot Blade on Dpad for R1(or well R2 is default but I prefer R1), then Flash+Circle of Scorn and Shield Bash and Shield Swipe on the other front. Then I'd put all the cooldowns on whatever you're comfortable with on the Dpad left and the secondary bars and that's pretty much it. Paladin is very simple overall because it has so few active skills and so many cooldowns. After that it's just a matter of remembering where the cooldowns are, but you put like the common ones(Rampart Sentinel Convalescence Foresight) together on L1(L2) Dpad, then the less common on the other tabs(Hallowed Ground, Bulwark, Tempered Will, Bloodbath). Then that leaves a few buttons to put like the 2 oaths and Awareness and Cover. Maybe Stoneskin too somewhere. This should more than easily fit on the 2 enhanced bars, in fact if you combine the 2 oaths in one macro(which I think works, I know on my ninja I have both Venoms as a macro and pressing it just swaps to the other one), actually fit on a single one if I'm not mistaken, leaving the 2nd one for shit like mount, potion, recall, TP, marks and whatever else you want.

Also for selecting targets, a friend mentionned that you can press a button then use up/down on the D pad to scroll through the enemy list that pops when you're in combat. Great for picking up adds and shit, or for selecting a particular enemy in a sea of enemies based on their threat(the one that's not red isn't on you, so you just scroll down to it and hit provoke+shield lob or provoke+halone if in range). I wanna say it's L1(the actual L1, not my rebound L1) but you might want to check around, just pull 2 random lvl 1 mobs and see which works.
Thanks a ton, man! That is all super helpful.

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There are a few things that you can macro, too. I have Fight or Flight macro'd into Fast Blade and Bloodbath macro'd into Savage Blade. You give up a little control, but the increased up-time makes up for it and the two work really well together going into Rage of Halone.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Managed to snag my 2nd piece of WoD gear right before the reset. Was pretty hectic, but now I have the NIN boots and chest!

...now if only either of those pieces were upgrades for me. Oh well, it actually looks pretty good on Lalas.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Man the high level crafters are such babies on my server. Keep sending me tells on how I'm ruining the economy and undercutting too much. Bitch I'm undercutting 10k at a time on a 1.8million item, how is that too much? "It adds up". Well fuck yeah it adds up cause you keep undercutting me so I have to undercut more and I'm not doing that shit 500g per 500g cause the item is way overpriced anyway and they'd sell faster if they were better priced.

Shit costs 500k to make, sells for 1.8millions, but they dare complain that I'm driving the prices down to "crap" because it's now at 1.6millions. Worst is it's all the guys who have like EVERY high level item up like the full forager/artisan shit, new crafted weapons, a bunch of the primal weapons and so on. These guys are probably sitting on 100-200millions each, but they're being little whiny bitches because they're losing hundreds of thousands precious gils. Fucking retards. They don't even understand that if the items weren't priced so retardedly, people other than gold buyers would actually buy them rather than find a crafter and pay a much smaller fee. I'm tempted to just buy a bunch of mats and flood the market with gear that's at mats price only, no profit, just to see how they feel about that instead.

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
So is this where I ask how much am I begging to be bent over and buggered if I want to try to get to 4-star crafting when I'm finally managing HQ 1-star frequently? =p (Depending on Hasty Touch being a bitch.)