Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Cleared T9 tonight. To get to this point, my static has imploded a few times. I've lost all of the original members of my static except the Warrior, and everyone was a brand-new recruit tonight except for our WHM. But we somehow got the clear. Gonna have to do it again next week for our BLM (who unfortunately had to skip due to a family emergency) and our PLD (who randomly left party during an AFK break and never came back). This static still has a lot of issues, but at least these guys aren't showing up 40 minutes late.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Final coil cleared, that T13 was a pretty cool fight. We were kinda making no progress for the past 2weeks, then this week suddenly everyone figured out how to do this shit and we kept getting into last phase, still thought it'd take longer but apparently we only needed like 6-7tries in last phase to get it down. We had some spare DPS but was kinda close considering we were outgearing it, our monk is fucking awful. He was at 348 DPS on the kill. 348 what the fuck. Our warrior was at 301. I had to start doing damage a lot more in the first few phases to keep on track but last phase I wasn't too comfortable yet so only DPSed during hallowed ground akh morn and enrage cast.

Anyway very happy that's done before the expansion, now I'll probably run it a couple more weeks and stop raiding for now.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yea I mean I figure it's going to be shitty watered down JRPG but whatevs. Are there any good youtube reviews/overviews of late?

Saban_sl

shitlord
Finished my Novus today. Feels good man. Let the light farming begin.

As far as playing casually goes, i usually only have a couple hours a night to sit down and play and i always have stuff to do. Always wishing i had more time to play but i always make progress on whatever i happen to be working on.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Is this game playable casually post re-release? I'm desperate.
It's very much a wow-like, with all that entails, so yeah there's a lot of stuff to do even casually. Even just doing all the content once to see it takes a fucking long time because there's so much to do. 15max level dungeons, 12 while leveling, 15 trials(single boss 8man encounters) half of them having an EX version with different mechanics for more challenge(though a lot more annoying to do without good players) and 3 easy raid dungeons with 4-5bosses each, then the old coil stuff which is fairly easy to do now and add up to 2 raids with 10 or so bosses. Then you have all the side shit which they added some to, like daillies(ugh boring), triple triad(pretty fun), chocobo racing(kinda meh but some people like it), crafting(really cool stuff), gathering(terrible stuff), fishing(kinda ok), housing(need a lot of money and some servers just don't have any houses left, but you can buy a room in your FC house for cheap if you just want to decorate a bit).

There's definitely a lot to do even as a casual, to be honest it's more like there's not much to do if you're not a casual, other than grinding low drop rate shit like mount drops and rare cards or doing the stupid relic questline.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
They really nailed the way content should work in a sub mmo. Granted I haven't played wow in 6 years but is the quality of their gaming experience so superior that it warrants a sub while producing a fraction of the content that ffxiv does?. If I wasn't too busy laughing to the bank or pumping money into other endeavors, as blizzard I would take it as a point of pride to put out more content than a game that has 1/10th of my revenue. Blizzard should be embarrassed.
The relatively low reuse of art assets in these 3 month patches is also stunning, especially when you consider the 'hard mode' dungeons are really a misnomer - the content Is different enough they really should have just called them brand new dungeons (any other mmo would have). Seriously makes me wonder what meager wage yoshi-p / square manages to get this army of artists to work on.

Saban_sl

shitlord
I played for about 3 months heavy when 2.0 came out, and then got bored when i got sick of playing on PS3, came back on PC in october and i've logged in nearly every day since then. I haven't played an MMO this consistently since Everquest.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
So what is a fun melee class in this game? I'm playing a caster right now but it gets kind of boring.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
So what is a fun melee class in this game? I'm playing a caster right now but it gets kind of boring.
All 3 are pretty decent, dragoons is probably the most simplistic and monk can be annoying or fun depending on your tolerance for weird mechanics(all their skills have positional damage bonus, meaning you have to move a lot from side to back to side etc when doing your rotation for maximum dmg). Ninja is really cool if your ping isn't garbage.

The Edge

Lord Nagafen Raider
Well my free month is up tomorrow, and I don't think I'll be subbing. Tried out all the classes and ended up taking archer the furthest. Got to 26 with a bunch others in the upper teens. I really wanted to like this game since my brother plays and he's level 50, but there's just some disconnect. I think the graphics are nice, it's a cool looking world, but at the end of the day, I don't care about anything I'm doing. People keep telling me the game gets better at 30, 45, or the famous "the game doesn't start til 50." But I don't need to put 100 hours into a game before deciding whether or not I like it. Wish I knew what exactly it was, but for me it's missing something.

I liked EQ, EQ2, Lineage 2 and WoW immediately upon logging in.
I thought Age of Conan was pretty awesome for the first 20 levels until you get off the island.
I even enjoyed TERA more, but got bored around 30.

I would put this higher than Aion and Rift. I couldn't play those for more than the first 10 levels. Just felt so generic and same old shit.

Never tried Guild Wars 2.

Oh well, at least I have the new progression server to look forward to.

ixian_sl

shitlord
As much as I hate the idea of having to play a game for x amount of hours to truly get a feel for it, if you're at all experienced with MMOs I do think FFXIV can feel overbearing with its training wheels until you get to the content in the mid-30s (Sunken Temple of Qarn, Titan story mode, etc.). Even then you'll only just recently have begun playing as a job instead of a class (Bard instead of Archer for example) and you're still limited in terms of number of abilities. Very few of the mandatory story quests are interesting, unfortunately. I think your initial enjoyment with some of the other games you mentioned is just a result of when you played them; as you become more familiar with a genre it becomes harder to recapture that initial magic.

Anyway, been playing this again because of the free time granted by the game and my immense amount of free time as a result of recent layoffs. Finished farming the Alexandrite for my Scholar Novus weapon and went all in on Crit/Det materia; fortunately, I didn't break too many tier 4s. Not sure how long the game will hold my interest this time around, I really want to have that urge to at least login every day that Saban mentioned. We'll see how I feel after farming light I guess, haha.

Harkon

Vyemm Raider
If you got to the Ifrit fight and you didn't enjoy it then you probably won't enjoy end game FFXIV. Also you need to have a high tolerance for long cutscenes with exposition.

Saban_sl

shitlord
Anyway, been playing this again because of the free time granted by the game and my immense amount of free time as a result of recent layoffs. Finished farming the Alexandrite for my Scholar Novus weapon and went all in on Crit/Det materia; fortunately, I didn't break too many tier 4s. Not sure how long the game will hold my interest this time around, I really want to have that urge to at least login every day that Saban mentioned. We'll see how I feel after farming light I guess, haha.
Back when i first decided to knuckle down and get a relic past Atma, i figured there was two stages where i might burn out on, Light Farming and having to do certain dungeons repeatedly for zodiac, namely Aurum Vale. About 500/2000 light already and i'm enjoying it alot more than Alexandrite farming. So its really going to depend on how unlucky i am at getting dungeon drops.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Honestly, the training wheels for this game don't even come off when you hit 50, you still have to do an access quest for E V E R Y T H I N G. My Ninja class didn't even become fun until it hit level 45, but then it was amazing. This MMO is very long investment/big return.

Stave

Potato del Grande
Honestly, the training wheels for this game don't even come off when you hit 50, you still have to do an access quest for E V E R Y T H I N G. My Ninja class didn't even become fun until it hit level 45, but then it was amazing. This MMO is very long investment/big return.
I actually like the quests for everything. It's not artificially cockblocked, but rather blocked behind decent story content, and you can pop on and work towards it here and there and still feel like your accomplishing something. Instead of collecting 50 bear asses to become a ninja, you actually follow a storyline and work your way up through training, etc. It's one of the main reasons I think FFXI and FFXIV have done so well. They can make a grind, but have it be fairly enjoyable, and just when your finishing up with everything, they pop out a new content patch with a ton more things to work towards.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
So just tell me straight guys, am I one of the heroes of light or whatever?

I do hate when an MMO gives you a single player style story. Yes, I'm THE HERO, but everyone else is also THE HERO. Dumbest shit ever.

Otherwise I'm having fun. It's very lively and the community isn't garbage... In fact I'd say the community is fairly good.

Draynar_sl

shitlord
So just tell me straight guys, am I one of the heroes of light or whatever?

I do hate when an MMO gives you a single player style story. Yes, I'm THE HERO, but everyone else is also THE HERO. Dumbest shit ever.

Otherwise I'm having fun. It's very lively and the community isn't garbage... In fact I'd say the community is fairly good.
Story mentions heroES of light. You're one of them. You're allies are the others. Don't try to be so special mr guy.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Again, this is a FF game. If you didn't expect a FF story, I'm not really sure what to tell you. It involves the NPCs in the story as much as it can, but inasmuch as you can't control the NPCs like you can in many other FFs, they will probably only ever be peripherally involved in the main quest line.