Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Oh no, it's not that. I just find it cringy when an MMO makes you the "hero," but you know that everyone else running around is also the "hero." I've always preferred having main characters, and just being a person in that world. Now if there's like, thousands of heroes of light then I guess that's fine. But I have a feeling in classic FF style there are only 4, and I'm one of them.

Aside from that I'm enjoying the game. Community is pretty nice. I haven't seen a single asshole yet.

Harkon

Vyemm Raider
Oh no, it's not that. I just find it cringy when an MMO makes you the "hero," but you know that everyone else running around is also the "hero." I've always preferred having main characters, and just being a person in that world. Now if there's like, thousands of heroes of light then I guess that's fine. But I have a feeling in classic FF style there are only 4, and I'm one of them.

Aside from that I'm enjoying the game. Community is pretty nice. I haven't seen a single asshole yet.
I believe what it boils down to in the simplest terms is that there is a dark crystal and a light crystal and basically you work for the light crystal as one of its (many) agents.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Sometimes the game actually shows there's more than one Warrior of Light, like during coil questline, while your character is the one who the NPCs adress, they mention your group and stuff, since it is group content. It's a bit weird at times but isn't like terribly weird because it's not like you are single handedly saving the world, in pretty much everything you're in a group of warriors of light and helped by many NPCs(though not directly, bastards are awfully well hidden during the actual fights and only pop at the end to say "yay we did it team"). Warriors of Light aren't like some super powerful being either, they're simply immune to Tempering from the Primals, which is probably only because you were Tempered by Hydaelyn to begin with(no spoiler, that's the intro sequence, and that's just an assumption). Just like the Ifrit's Tempered NPCs aren't super powerful beings and just random "slaves", you're just a guy who was touched by the Light or whatever.

Also they get away from the whole thing in preparation for Heavensward. This is a 2.5 story spoiler but
Midgardsormr severs your link with Hydaelyn who was more or less dying already anyway, so for Heavensward, you're just a guy with a dragon spirit thing inside of you.
Which I guess makes you kinda "unique", but again not like some super powered demi god, just a slightly more powerful adventurer. Most of the cool things you do, you do by your own means, being an adventurer.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Okay, so I just did my first dungeon. Are they all that boring? It wasn't bad per say, just uninteresting. It was also annoying because I'm a tank and I seem to keep losing agro. It's annoying.
frown.png

Also, when the fuck do I get a mount?

ixian_sl

shitlord
Dungeons don't really pick up until Brayflox's Longstop (level 32). There's some interesting mechanics here and there before then, but again they tend to be baby's first MMO until then.

As for the mount, after you join a Grand Company, you start earning company seals via some content (FATEs, leves, etc.). 2000 will purchase your first mount.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Dungeons don't really pick up until Brayflox's Longstop (level 32). There's some interesting mechanics here and there before then, but again they tend to be baby's first MMO until then.

As for the mount, after you join a Grand Company, you start earning company seals via some content (FATEs, leves, etc.). 2000 will purchase your first mount.
When do you join a grand company? I was told the same by someone else, but I'm afraid I may have skipped something.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Okay, so I just did my first dungeon. Are they all that boring? It wasn't bad per say, just uninteresting. It was also annoying because I'm a tank and I seem to keep losing agro. It's annoying.
frown.png

Also, when the fuck do I get a mount?
Note about tank aggro: Your aggro is heavily based upon your weapon, and making sure you are using the correct abilities. In early dungeons if you have only played one tank class so far (gladiator/marauder) you will be missing either rotatable aggro generation or a pair of important defensive cooldowns. Either limits your ability to generate and maintain realistic aggro. For example, having Foresight (marauder defensive) on your gladiator means the healer has to heal less, meaning more dps on primary target. This means you don't have to worry about your flash being less than effective on non-primary targets and unless you have an AE happy thaumaturge in the group, basically nobody should be pulling aggro off you if you are using the fast blade combo on primary whenever you can. If you do have an AE happy thaum, simply weave in flashes as you can, and switch targets with your combos. In low dungeons, people tend to target the lowest health, so once that is established aggro wise you can switch around as you like. But you have to be flashing and comboing constantly early on, or you simply won't hold aggro. Popping your defensive cooldowns during pulls is essential too (they have like 60-120s cooldowns, not long at all) and really you should be popping one as you engage each pack/boss, then rotating the other in. The less your healer has to heal, the easier aggro generally is to hold. Just make sure to keep flashing shit if you have someone aeing or you are being healed a lot.

For warrior, aggro is a -lot- easier, it's all about getting the mobs in wedge for overpower. Then tossing in flash occasionally so you don't burn through all your TP and ae aggro is a joke. Aggro period for warriors is mostly a joke since you just pop a defensive cooldown, berserk and AE/combo the shit out of stuff till it fades, then you basically have aggro for life. Repeat cooldowns/aggro gen as necessary.

Grand Company: I believe you have to beat Ifrit to join a grand company, so whenever you unlock the Trial for him, you just finish that and then it is some minor questing and lots of flying around to the major cities before you can join.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
You join a grand company around lvl 20 or so, it's part of the main story quest(flame icon quest) and can't really miss it as long as you keep doing those story missions.

And yeah most of the first dungeons are boring as shit. Sadly it also means they're easy and once you get to the more interesting ones, you'll have to deal with retards who can't actually handle that shit.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
It was also annoying because I'm a tank and I seem to keep losing agro. It's annoying.
frown.png
Trying to hold aggro as a tank at low levels is complete cancer. Your group needs to wait 2-3 GCDs for you to establish preliminary aggro or else they're going to rip it every time (if they're good DPS or bad healers). It's not your fault, it's the game's for not giving you the tools you need until later. But here's some tips:

Gladiator: Not so bad pre-30. Always start your pull with Shield Lob (if single target) or body pull + Flash (if multi-target). Fast Blade -> Savage Blade will allow you to keep aggro on a single target without eating too much TP. For multi-target, spam Flash, and use Fast Blade -> Riot Blade to regen MP when you're good on hate. You can use Provoke to rip aggro from someone if crap hits the fan, but keep in mind that Provoke only gives you 1 aggro over whoever has the most hate on a target, so never use it to pull and always follow it up with a Shield Lob, Flash, or combo'd Savage Blade. Level 30-39 (when you first become Paladin), you might as well not even bother trying to tank anything. Without Shield Oath (obtained at level 40) and the increased aggro generation it gives, you'll pretty much be helpless to keep aggro off of DPS unless you're spamming Flash like a madman, because while all the other classes got an increase in power, you didn't get an increase in your ability to hold aggro. 40+, tanking is an absolute breeze.

Marauder: An absolute nightmare pre-30. First thing you want to do before even playing Marauder is level Gladiator to 10 so you get Flash and Convalescence, these are two abilities that are absolutely required for tanking as a low-level Marauder. (You'll eventually want to level Gladiator to 22 for Provoke, but you won't need that until endgame.) Always start your pull with Overpower (preferred) or Flash (if you need to save TP), regardless if the pull is single-target or multi-target. Keep aggro on single targets by using Heavy Swing -> Skull Sunder, or multi-targets by spamming Overpower/Flash and praying that the mobs die before you run out of TP/MP. (With a full MP bar, you can only use Flash 4 times before you run out of MP, no matter what level you are.) Bloodbath can be used as a cooldown to generate more aggro because healing generates aggro, but Berserk is going to be your go-to for generating aggro. While Berserk is active, you're generating 50% more aggro, even with Flash. The downside is that for 5 seconds after it ends, you can't use any weapon skills (but you CAN still use Flash). Once you hit 30 and get Defiance (from WAR), aggro management becomes a breeze (even easier for multi-target when you get Steel Cyclone at 45).

Universal tip: If the Conjurer or White Mage is constantly ripping aggro from you, tell them to stop spamming Medica.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Trying to hold aggro as a tank at low levels is complete cancer. Your group needs to wait 2-3 GCDs for you to establish preliminary aggro or else they're going to rip it every time (if they're good DPS or bad healers). It's not your fault, it's the game's for not giving you the tools you need until later. But here's some tips:

Gladiator: Not so bad pre-30. Always start your pull with Shield Lob (if single target) or body pull + Flash (if multi-target). Fast Blade -> Savage Blade will allow you to keep aggro on a single target without eating too much TP. For multi-target, spam Flash, and use Fast Blade -> Riot Blade to regen MP when you're good on hate. You can use Provoke to rip aggro from someone if crap hits the fan, but keep in mind that Provoke only gives you 1 aggro over whoever has the most hate on a target, so never use it to pull and always follow it up with a Shield Lob, Flash, or combo'd Savage Blade. Level 30-39 (when you first become Paladin), you might as well not even bother trying to tank anything. Without Shield Oath (obtained at level 40) and the increased aggro generation it gives, you'll pretty much be helpless to keep aggro off of DPS unless you're spamming Flash like a madman, because while all the other classes got an increase in power, you didn't get an increase in your ability to hold aggro. 40+, tanking is an absolute breeze.

Marauder: An absolute nightmare pre-30. First thing you want to do before even playing Marauder is level Gladiator to 10 so you get Flash and Convalescence, these are two abilities that are absolutely required for tanking as a low-level Marauder. (You'll eventually want to level Gladiator to 22 for Provoke, but you won't need that until endgame.) Always start your pull with Overpower (preferred) or Flash (if you need to save TP), regardless if the pull is single-target or multi-target. Keep aggro on single targets by using Heavy Swing -> Skull Sunder, or multi-targets by spamming Overpower/Flash and praying that the mobs die before you run out of TP/MP. (With a full MP bar, you can only use Flash 4 times before you run out of MP, no matter what level you are.) Bloodbath can be used as a cooldown to generate more aggro because healing generates aggro, but Berserk is going to be your go-to for generating aggro. While Berserk is active, you're generating 50% more aggro, even with Flash. The downside is that for 5 seconds after it ends, you can't use any weapon skills (but you CAN still use Flash). Once you hit 30 and get Defiance (from WAR), aggro management becomes a breeze (even easier for multi-target when you get Steel Cyclone at 45).

Universal tip: If the Conjurer or White Mage is constantly ripping aggro from you, tell them to stop spamming Medica.
I'm only around level 18, so I guess I don't have the tools to properly tank yet. It's kind of lame, but I guess as long as I keep the agro of the main mob I'll be fine.

Saban_sl

shitlord
Got 50 of those Aetheryte tickets from veteran rewards and ended up discarding half of them because of that stupid prompt that comes up every time you try and teleport.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I'm only around level 18, so I guess I don't have the tools to properly tank yet. It's kind of lame, but I guess as long as I keep the agro of the main mob I'll be fine.
You shouldn't have an issue at these levels though, unless your DPS are all splitting damage. Flash or Overpower are massive aoe threat tools and basically what you'll use the entire game. If your DPS are splitting damage though, it's hard to keep 2 mobs on you at the same time. Just ignore whichever one is the least damaging/is being DPSed by the tankier DPS and focus on the other. If they're not, then 2 flash or 2 overpower should keep everything you're not actively hitting on your from heals and random aoes. If you have a BLM spamming Fire II, you'll need to flash/overpower more, but it still shouldn't be much of an issue as their aoe damage is pretty garbage until they get Astral II(lvl 20) and even then it's still not great until Astral III(lvl 40). By 40 though you have tanking stance and other aoe tools(steel cyclone and on paladin circle of scorn at 50 so you kinda get fucked for 10levels).

If your weapon sucks though, that's another problem, and overall I've found paladin to be pretty shit between 20 and 26 and then between 30 and 40. It's not terrible but if your DPS are being fucking retards, it can be pretty fucking annoying. Puts more strain on your healer though so whatever.

Saban_sl

shitlord
I'm in an unusual position where for once i don't want an expansion to come out just yet, theres still so much stuff i want to finish before it comes out.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I'm in an unusual position where for once i don't want an expansion to come out just yet, theres still so much stuff i want to finish before it comes out.
Yeah if I didn't play so much in the past few months I'd be in the same spot, luckily by 2.4 I had cleared a lot of the stuff I wanted then took a break until a few weeks before 2.5 and for 2.5 the only stuff left I had was like Shiva EX/Final Coil/2.5 content, and I got lucky with a static right as I thought I wanted to look to clear Final Coil which also didn't suck ass so got that cleared in a little under 2months.

So now I have one more day of beastmen daillies to finish Amaljaa which is the last rep I needed, I have about 3weeks of chocobo feeding to get a rank20 chocobo, I've got half a dozen of hours of crafting to do to get my master 2 books on every craft and maybe a few more hours for some other lucis(though not sure I'll bother with all 8 lucis) and I'm pretty much done until the expansion. I'll try to cap poetics for a few weeks so I can get my tank geared, I already have my SCH in BiS besides the robe/pants from final coil(though it's such minor upgrades I don't give a fuck and they look dumb anyway) and my BLM is approaching pre FCoB BiS, only need 2weeks of poetics there.

It's a nice feeling after so many months of catching up on content and crafting, grinding relic, trying to gear stuff and what not to finally be in a spot where I can honestly just do whatever I like, or nothing at all, and not feel bad about it.

Saban_sl

shitlord
Mostly i want to get a 100% levelled character, and finish my Zodiac Zeta weapon. I have little enough playtime each night that i have to focus on one or the other and right now im full steam ahead on Zodiac.

Saban_sl

shitlord
Anyone know if the Princess for a day title can be earned from this years little ladies day or is it strictly a legacy title now?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Anyone know if the Princess for a day title can be earned from this years little ladies day or is it strictly a legacy title now?
It's hard to say cause apparently this year's event is based on some server effort time based whatever shit. Might be locked to previous years though.

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
rrr_img_92278.jpg

Heavensward Release:June 23th, 2015w/ Early Access onJune 19th.

Heavensward Benchmark Release:April 2015

Official Pre-orders Start:March 16th

New Armor Sets

Zone Tour Video: