Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
If your Scholar is DPSing most of the time wouldn't you be better off with just another DPS class? I just came back so I am not caught up but we used to solo heal First Coil for 2 and 4. One of our healers would just switch roles but could still roll on healer gear.
Not really, because a 2nd healer is actually useful even if he's not healing all the time. There's a lot of healing spikes, where the boss does an unavoidable aoe or spike the tanks or whatever, and that's when the 2nd healer can help. As a scholar, that means Soil to reduce damage, precast succor to absorb damage or Adlo for tanks, Lustrate to instantly heal people/tanks back up, and obviously a 2nd combat rez. Plus the pet isn't shit healing, it's a very solid amount of healing especially if you end up using Eos. Hell Eos could generally rip aggro off the WHM after gigas in T13 with the increased healing buff+HoT.

The fights are definitely solo healable, but the added difficulty isn't worth the trouble. On the other hand, having 2 full time healers just slows down everything and doesn't help. Mind you, when learning the fights, or on the harder fights, you don't DPS that much. The key becomes maximizing your DPS while still making sure people don't die. On T13 for example I could only do short dot rotations. But that was for our group, I've seen some SCH basically DPS 90% of the fight no problem, depends on who's taking unnecessary damage and the WHM ability to time his heals, avoid overheal and still keep everyone up.

T2 and 4 can't really be compared because they were mostly DPS races. If you killed the boss faster, you'd skip stuff or just handle it better, but they kinda stopped these type of fights by making them longer and less reliant on overall DPS and more on burst DPS. And they made healing a lot more brutal on most fights, with a lot of unavoidable stuff you have to just heal through. Single healing it is a pain.

On a different note, they doubled the poetics cap in this week's patch.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
I just came back so I don't know the new fights. I just know on old content it saved us a significant amount of time on our clears not having the second healer for all the fights.

I would expect the Poetic cap to be removed next week or the week after. They want the returning people to be able to catch up. I'm still pounding out my story and burning my rested exp on the 3 classes I didn't have at max. I forgo how fun the combat in this game could be. Unlike most other GCD games, you have stuff to look out for most the time. Skills you can't macro (like heavy shot proccing straight shot) or boss mechanics and ground targets.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
Picked up the Heavensward expansion off GMG. Hadn't bought anything from them for quite awhile so they sent me a 30% off coupon.

I think this will arguably be the best $28.00 for a game purchase I've spent in the last decade.

I would expect the Poetic cap to be removed next week or the week after. They want the returning people to be able to catch up.
I have my 130 weapon but not the gear due to the PoE Rowena token weekly cap so this would be welcome news.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
I don't have anything 130, priority 1 has been catching up on the story so I don't have to struggle with Steps when no one is doing it. Also trying to burn some of my rested off. I guess when you only play for like 2 hours a day and you haven't played in over a year it takes a long time to catch up on rested
smile.png

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
I just came back so I don't know the new fights. I just know on old content it saved us a significant amount of time on our clears not having the second healer for all the fights.

I would expect the Poetic cap to be removed next week or the week after.They want the returning people to be able to catch up. I'm still pounding out my story and burning my rested exp on the 3 classes I didn't have at max. I forgo how fun the combat in this game could be. Unlike most other GCD games, you have stuff to look out for most the time. Skills you can't macro (like heavy shot proccing straight shot) or boss mechanics and ground targets.
They said they aren't going to uncap Poetics, likely because of the "i130 lasts you until around 55" reason. In other words, i100/i110 Soldiery gear is sufficient to start you off, and/or i120 World of Darkness gear.

EDIT - I spoke too soon. Cap was raised to 900 from 450 this last night's maintenance, but it's still a 2000 limit.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
I bet they keep the 2k limit just so the new classes have to try for something. That or they don't update the poetic gear to have those classes names on them.

I am seriously debating the new DPS class for after the patch drops. It sounds like a stance dancing DPS that switches between Bard and Black Mage.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
I bet they keep the 2k limit just so the new classes have to try for something. That or they don't update the poetic gear to have those classes names on them.

I am seriously debating the new DPS class for after the patch drops. It sounds like a stance dancing DPS that switches between Bard and Black Mage.
Did they release new details on the Machinist?

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
Nope I just remember at Pax East them talking about how they would have one mode with cast times that did more damage and one mode where they were mobile. I should probably watch the video as it was hard to hear some of the things at Pax. Also, why did they need one guy talking in Japanese and a translator, just send someone who speaks English....

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Ha, I'm glad Gori Lla is still playing. I stay in touch with him through PS messages. Might be comnig back to this, as the new expansion seemed really fun, and if a bunch of people are coming back, the people alone would be fun to game with again.

Probably better than the cluster new EQ Prog server will be, right?

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
crone if i end up liking this game, im going to fucking kill you.

when is this patch with the new class? i just started my trial but it probably wouldent let me access it anyway.

would black mage/conjurer be the closest thing to a "warlock" type class, with DoTs'/ fears maybe a pet?

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
is there a way to save my character creation settings, i got to the end and gilgamesh is on lock ATM for any new players, i dont wanna do the creation all over again, guess i can just let it hang till like 2am and then try, someone said they lift them at random times during off hours, but 2am is still primetime kinda for west coast.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you just do the character creation and when you are done it will ask if you want to save, then when you create a new character there is a "load character data" box you check and then you are able to select anything you have saved/

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
If you just do the character creation and when you are done it will ask if you want to save, then when you create a new character there is a "load character data" box you check and then you are able to select anything you have saved/
ok cool yeah it did ask me to save, but then when i got to server creation and went to back out, it said all data would be lost, alright i can at least hop on another server to get a little feel for it, ty sir.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Poopsocked a bit last night since the kid fell asleep in my arms. Played from 9pm to 3am and just worked on hitting 30 on MRD, then 15 GLAD, then unlocking warrior. Haven't done that in a long time (playing like that) and it was kind of crazy. Had a lot of fun though

Draynar_sl

shitlord
Poopsocked a bit last night since the kid fell asleep in my arms. Played from 9pm to 3am and just worked on hitting 30 on MRD, then 15 GLAD, then unlocking warrior. Haven't done that in a long time (playing like that) and it was kind of crazy. Had a lot of fun though
You unleashed the beast you're saying?