Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ohh I bought the expansion, but even if you buy it you cannot go there and do stuff unless you unlock it via story quests....or at least that is how it seems or what I have been told.

The beast tribe stuff is not really worth it in any true sense of progression. They provide minimum levels of poetic tomes and access to some faction gimmick items like mounts. But if your goal is gear and progression then no, they are a complete waste of time.

Should I transfer to Leviathan? Could I join you guys as a casual or do you have requirements I must maintain?

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, some of the old beastquests can be repeated for tokens that let you buy some of the 3rd stage "new" relic items. But the completion of that stage requires a retarded amount of endgame crafted items, which depending on server, can be all over the place pricewise even just for materials.

Valechec_sl

shitlord
Ohh I bought the expansion, but even if you buy it you cannot go there and do stuff unless you unlock it via story quests....or at least that is how it seems or what I have been told.

The beast tribe stuff is not really worth it in any true sense of progression. They provide minimum levels of poetic tomes and access to some faction gimmick items like mounts. But if your goal is gear and progression then no, they are a complete waste of time.

Should I transfer to Leviathan? Could I join you guys as a casual or do you have requirements I must maintain?
No requirements that I know of, just a small-scale FC. Handful of them do the current end-game stuff in linkshells. Most of us are pretty casual and there's some language if that's a thing to you. Rule 1 is, I'm told, don't be offended by anything anyone says.

If you're actually interested and plan on moving over throw me a PM or something so I can get you my name and such.

Karloff_sl

shitlord
Grabbed the ps4 version for myself and a PS3 version of the base game for my wife, so just been playing this weekend. Is there a pretty good tutorial site or video that explains game mechanics and such. We've never played MMO's on consoles unless you count Destiny. We both played the original FF online many years ago for a bit after EQ and Daoc but don't remember much.

Is there a sweet spot to start up the 2nd class, I've gotten to 17 on my thaumaturge and wanted to pick up Archer.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
No idea on the first, but basically after you unlock all the main cities via the main quest, you can switch whenever to level another class. But features will continue to be unlocked by doing the main story, through at least level 30 for the important stuff. Having the chocobo to run around with your lowbie characters while doing quests can be a huge help, and that's a level 30 thing. But basically anytime you level a class that is below your highest one, you'll gain an xp bonus in fates and from combat in general. I ran one character through the majority of the game, probably level 38 or so, then went back and leveled ones that had abilities I might want (as a white mage, I leveled thaum for quick cast to 26, for example) that I could use as a cross class abilities. Then I just finished the rest of the level 50 content with the healer before leveling anything else.

But yeah, I'd at least wait until 30 to enable the bird to fight with your lower characters. Makes stuff a lot easier, and the bird is mad powerful when leveled

Karloff_sl

shitlord
No idea on the first, but basically after you unlock all the main cities via the main quest, you can switch whenever to level another class. But features will continue to be unlocked by doing the main story, through at least level 30 for the important stuff. Having the chocobo to run around with your lowbie characters while doing quests can be a huge help, and that's a level 30 thing. But basically anytime you level a class that is below your highest one, you'll gain an xp bonus in fates and from combat in general. I ran one character through the majority of the game, probably level 38 or so, then went back and leveled ones that had abilities I might want (as a white mage, I leveled thaum for quick cast to 26, for example) that I could use as a cross class abilities. Then I just finished the rest of the level 50 content with the healer before leveling anything else.

But yeah, I'd at least wait until 30 to enable the bird to fight with your lower characters. Makes stuff a lot easier, and the bird is mad powerful when leveled
Sounds good , I grabbed archer but since I'm only 17 really wanted to get some more levels before I got into lvl'ing another class. I'm basically ignoring tradeskills for now. I rd ever being a redmage/whitemage in the original game, did they just get rid of the redmage?

Cejian_sl

shitlord
Grabbed the ps4 version for myself and a PS3 version of the base game for my wife, so just been playing this weekend. Is there a pretty good tutorial site or video that explains game mechanics and such. We've never played MMO's on consoles unless you count Destiny. We both played the original FF online many years ago for a bit after EQ and Daoc but don't remember much.

Is there a sweet spot to start up the 2nd class, I've gotten to 17 on my thaumaturge and wanted to pick up Archer.
Content Unlock - Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn Wiki - FFXIV / FF14 ARR Community Wiki and Guide

This might halp you out.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The average FFXIV player is awful. In fact, out of all the major PvE MMOs I've played (EQ2, Rift, etc.), FFXIV has had the least skilled average population. Odin is not difficult by any stretch of the imagination, PuGs are just garbage.
Really? Did you ever play WoW?

Or is your luck just that bad? I don't think i've ever heard anyone say FFXIV has the least skilled average pop out of major MMO's...ever.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
That wouldnt surprise tbh since it could be alot of peoples first MMO. They are likely just FF fans who just picked up the next game in the series and are clueless on basic mechanics and strats. The avg wow player i wouldnt say is bad, just lazy and wants to be carried when it comes to pugs.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Really? Did you ever play WoW?

Or is your luck just that bad? I don't think i've ever heard anyone say FFXIV has the least skilled average pop out of major MMO's...ever.
WoW is the one major PvE MMORPG I didn't play. The average EQ2 player wasn't very good either but all of them could do Deep Forge, which is on par with the difficulty of the current highest level FFXIV dungeons and there are people that STILL can't do them.THEY CAN'T DO THE EQUIVALENT OF FUCKING DEEP FORGE.

That wouldnt surprise tbh since it could be alot of peoples first MMO. They are likely just FF fans who just picked up the next game in the series and are clueless on basic mechanics and strats. The avg wow player i wouldnt say is bad, just lazy and wants to be carried when it comes to pugs.
A lot of them came from FFXI. I didn't play FFXI, but from what I understand, its PvE had the mechanical depth of an outhouse.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
FFXIV has -much- more involved combat than FFXI by a landslide, though the high end raiding scene was a mechanical nightmare in parts of XI. Sup' Absolute Virtue.

I've played just about every PVE mmo released in the last 17 years (and a chunk of the pvp ones, because I like wasting money) and I wouldn't say FFXIV players are better or worse as a whole than other games. There are tons of scrubs/newbs in every game, be it either age related(super young or super old) or just people not being good at coordination, or just not being min/maxers. And of course the professional trolls are alive and well in every game as well. It's really rare that I don't complete a dungeon, usually due to a tank dropping or something after a boss and almost no tanks have the in progress box ticked, because they know they are going to have sub 5 queue.

I'm sure lots of dps are putting out sub-optimal damage, but the difference hasn't been enough where I go "man these dps suck, we can't kill x." Mostly it's "man this tank sucks, we can't kill x" because of shitty aggro generation or spatial awareness. Every game has shitty tanks, because they are so necessary that you can be bad and still get groups. Same with healers, though I mainly run high end ffxiv dungeons as a whm, so I don't see them often.

But yeah, overall, I'd say there isn't much difference. Since you primarily do dps, maybe you compare yourself a lot more to them, just like I love to complain about how the other healers slack off in 8/24s because I try to heal everyone between deepsing. The only group I would personally complain about as a whole are tanks, and that complaint has been valid in every game hah. It's why in every other game I played a tank; can't trust most people to do a reasonable job.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Uh. Hrm. Are you reading etchazz/dumar/laura/qwerty posts? Otherwise, outside maybe Quaid, the vast majority of all posters on this forum understand that WoW did basically -everything- better. With some caveats, depending on expac.

It's by far the most popular and most played mmorpg by western audiences. Like, the only competition is 5-10x lower in subs, and probably much lower in number of people who tried it.

The vast majority of people who shit on the game, have also played it extensively and understand that it had a massive impact on the genre. Aside from Laura/etchazz who just shit on it because they have bad taste in games. Dumar/qwerty have played the game, and probably still do so, even though they rail against it.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
If that's true, why is this the only time I've ever heard that opinion?
Because you've been playing Non wow games. There are a lot of really dumb nerds in those games that have some sort of weird defect in their brain where they think it's only possible to like one thing at a time. These people are autists and not worth valuing

Edit: And I loved eq2 / ff14. Currently playing FF14 even.

Karloff_sl

shitlord
Anyone playing on a PS4/3 using a keyboard in conjunction with the controller? Does it work pretty well? Using the controller to chat is way to slow.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
If that's true, why is this the only time I've ever heard that opinion?
I'll echo that opinion. It's still the big dog for a reason, and I still end up resubscribing constantly. You'd like it if you tried it.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
My main problem is that since I played Everquest 2 for five years straight as a kid, I can't get into anything with worse graphics. I downloaded and launched WoW once years ago but I think I had it running for a total of an hour or two before I couldn't handle it anymore. Once Blade and Soul dries up, I guess I'll have to give it a go. Is there a midget race? I only play midget races now.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
My main problem is that since I played Everquest 2 for five years straight as a kid, I can't get into anything with worse graphics. I downloaded and launched WoW once years ago but I think I had it running for a total of an hour or two before I couldn't handle it anymore. Once Blade and Soul dries up, I guess I'll have to give it a go. Is there a midget race? I only play midget races now.
Goblin for Horde, Dwarf or Gnome for Alliance.

FACTIONS!