Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Oh right, forced factions. Which is the faction that I should play on if I don't want people to think I'm a pussy?
Either? Play with friends, so whatever server they're on. The rerolled forum guilds always die, so watch out for that.

Stave

Potato del Grande
Yeah as much as I got burnt out on WoW over the years, it is still the best MMO ever made. FFXIV was just a breath of fresh air, and a good game on its own, but WoW is one of the biggest games of all time, and for good reason. I also played EQ2 and saw a lot of WoW hate there, and vice versa with EQ2 hate from WoW players, so they can tend to be echo chambers.

Vulg

Golden Knight of the Realm
That wouldnt surprise tbh since it could be alot of peoples first MMO. They are likely just FF fans who just picked up the next game in the series and are clueless on basic mechanics and strats. The avg wow player i wouldnt say is bad, just lazy and wants to be carried when it comes to pugs.
FFXIV was the community that lobbied (successfully) to have 'hide logs' functionality implemented in its popular logging site; the guy who runs FFLogs also runs Warcraftlogs.com and Wildstarlogs.com.

I've not met sandier vaginas in a MMO.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
FFXIV was the community that lobbied (successfully) to have 'hide logs' functionality implemented in its popular logging site; the guy who runs FFLogs also runs Warcraftlogs.com and Wildstarlogs.com.

I've not met sandier vaginas in a MMO.
lol - i wanted to play with some friends who are on Gilg but i wasnt going to level and pay to xfer bc the server is locked to new people but just fine for you to pay to go to? lol um no.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Does the full server stuff of Gilg prevent the gold spammer shit? On Cactuar that shits constant no matter what time of day I play. Had to turn off the tell ding noise because the bots would ream my eardrums

Harkon

Vyemm Raider
Yea that was one benefits of playing on a high pop server, there was occasional gold spam but nothing like on the lower pop ones.

Karloff_sl

shitlord
Anyone have some insights on the Black Mage class and the Bard class, those are the two I'm leaning towards and my only experience with bards is some screwing around with them in EQ, I've never really played a Mage glass cannon class in any mmo.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Anyone have some insights on the Black Mage class and the Bard class, those are the two I'm leaning towards and my only experience with bards is some screwing around with them in EQ, I've never really played a Mage glass cannon class in any mmo.
I don't have ultimate high level experience but...

BLKMG: Awesome burst and AE dmg, but most spells have a cast time so it can be annoying because the primary thing in any fight is avoiding the AE's. So when you spend a lot of time dodging you are generally not casting. Though it's probably not as bad as I'm making it sound.

BRD: Basically an archer and good DPS overall. When I first started playing I was going bard because I typically prefer support type roles(but not healer), then I found out bard is basically a DPS class with 2 shitty songs(may have value in end game, I wouldn't know).

As far as solo/quest play either are fine, especially with the chicken, no class really has a problem with solo stuff. Depends on how you want to DPS in a group really, burst spells and big AE or steady arrow dps(not that their burst is shitty).

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Oh right, forced factions. Which is the faction that I should play on if I don't want people to think I'm a pussy?
This, from the Lalafell. That's bloody rich.

Assuming that you actually care what people think of you, the more appropriate question would be "why do you care?". As lore went, I enjoyed Horde much more than I did Alliance. I found the Alliance lore to be boring by comparison. That's just me, though.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider

Assuming that you actually care what people think of you, the more appropriate question would be "why do you care?". As lore went, I enjoyed Horde much more than I did Alliance. I found the Alliance lore to be boring by comparison. That's just me, though.
First, Lalafell are the master race. We're gonna build a low ceiling to keep out the cloudbreathers.

Second, I was joking around. I know there's a lot of horde/alliance rivalry and I wanted to stir the pot.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole

Horde is generally more enjoyable, especially compared to what it was during pre-cata days for leveling. Lotta shitty flightpath locations and very same-y quest areas in the early levels for sure. But it doesn't matter which side you play, because both can do the Day that Deathwing Came quest in badlands and relive the glory that is Martek the Exiled's version. Hildebrandt's quests are pretty funny in a very japanese/lupin III sort of way. But Martek? Is just straight up hilariously awesome.

Definitely give it a whirl, and if you like more "noble savage" type storylines as well as "hi we're clearly fucking evil" storylines, Horde wins. If you enjoy more classic fantasy style stuff or just really want to be a werewolf, play Alliance. The Worgen area and quests have a -very- gothic feel to them without bleeding into the more Nightmare Before Christmas stuff, which Horde has in spades thanks to the Undead. And it is only extrapolated as time goes on, for horde. Admittedly, my alliance toons haven't done anything past Cata, because Corpsegrinder was right: fuck the alliance(and gnomes.) But leading up to it they are definitely the more "vanilla" side.

edit for Xalara: Heavensward was pretty dope (minus moogles in churning mists...) and the leveling dungeons were very awesome the first couple of times through. But the current scheme of adding two dungeons and then moving the two previous top end dungeons down to a tier lower (and only two. You have very little variety at the top end when doing endgame stuff) you end up in a very small cycle of useful content. And the cost of items is enough that you are getting an item roughly every 1.5 -weeks- of work via tomestones, and the limit on rolls for Ark etc. They skipped multiple stages in early ARR and just went right into what they think works the best. Which is a tremendous grind only to have another tremendous grind when the next major content patch comes. They really need to up the esoterics from the top end dungeons a bit and remove esoterics from anything but the "expert mode" dungeons. That way you run them 4-5 days and you are done with the only tokens that reasonably matter, for very little "grind" feeling. Having the lower number and hitting two roulettes with a total of 4 dungeons to choose from between them is silly at this point.

Not to mention scrips. =| Or that f'n Relic weapon... I took a look at the crafted requirements for stage three and went "nooooope!"

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
Everything that's wrong with MMO's can be summed up by this game. Pseudo single-player while leveling? Check. Red circles/rectangles/triangles of death every boss fight? Check. Hopping around like a Mario during raid bosses? Check.

This game stinks.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Everything that's wrong with MMO's can be summed up by this game. Pseudo single-player while leveling? Check. Red circles/rectangles/triangles of death every boss fight? Check. Hopping around like a Mario during raid bosses? Check.

This game stinks.
Why do you dislike telegraphs? Do you prefer invisible 1-shot AoEs that need to be timed by an external program and jousted with a 10 second margin of error?

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah as much as I got burnt out on WoW over the years, it is still the best MMO ever made. FFXIV was just a breath of fresh air, and a good game on its own, but WoW is one of the biggest games of all time, and for good reason. I also played EQ2 and saw a lot of WoW hate there, and vice versa with EQ2 hate from WoW players, so they can tend to be echo chambers.
WoW is the best mmo of it's type - EQ clone initially and now it's own monster. But after playing EQ for so many years, WoW didnt' do anything for me, I couldn't stand another bear skin fetchit quest. Wish I had tried WoW much sooner, rather than sticking with EQ for so many years. I'm sure I would have enjoyed it more.

Also, WoW's graphics are ass. I know a lot of people who refuse to play it for that reason alone.

I personally think there are many MMO's better than WoW but that's a subjective evaluation based on being burnt out on pve theme parks. I prefer RvR games now and really cool graphics. Also, WoW's hard coded two factions make open world PvP a joke.

If you like theme parks and raiding though, WoW is the king, no doubt.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
This game has a smaller population and a generally more casual population than say wow. Admittedly there is not much content at the end level but when you consider their smaller scale/budget and the fact they are more or less putting out stuff on a 3-4 month regular basis, it's pretty respectable - I guess you could argue for double the amount of content and have it put out every 6 months instead, but I think this probably works better for keeping subs up.
Things I'd like to see
- hard mode versions of the 24 man content (sorry, 8 man end game raiding just doesn't put the massive in mmo)
- more creativity with diadem, a currently wasted opportunity
- 4 man dungeons that should be harder - these have been getting gradually easier since Pharos Sirius and for no apparent reason. Make people try atleast a little bit. Or alternatively, have special mode or challenge modes that unlock extra rewards

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Why do you dislike telegraphs? Do you prefer invisible 1-shot AoEs that need to be timed by an external program and jousted with a 10 second margin of error?
Death touches and void zones are dumb mechanics timed by the actual program with less than a 10 second margin of error.