Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I mostly want it for glamour, my SCH is like i255 or whatever so it's good enough for leveling, although I've been second guessing myself on which class to take to 70 first, Monk or SCH. Monk would benefit from faster queues if I level it first, a bunch of DPS will be rolling the new classes leaving a higher amount of tanks/healers in comparison, possibly, and while I did buy a shire weapon on my SCH the difference would probably be pretty negligible if I can just get a weapon 230+ weapon, although this in itself is problematic to do in a single day since for some reason they didn't remove the midas gear requirement for buying i230weapons. Maybe I'll dump my potd stuff but not sure I have enough.

Malkav

French Madman
I have just been preparing SAM on my end over the last few weeks.
Got full 270 accessories from Dun Scaith weekly (plus an upgraded shire ring for the second ring slot), and as much Dun Scaith monk loot as I could (still had to buy shire gloves/chest to complement in the end).
I'm 95/95 aetherpool and will be leveling in POTD the first day or early access, once I hit 60 I'll just buy the 255 POTD weapon and be done with it.

bho

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I'm buying a story skip because I'm a grown up with a full time job and I fucked my wife

this. $20 or whatever to save dozens of hours? Why dont you go drive uber for 1-2 hours, and use your newfound cash to save 20 hours?

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
20 hours is optimistic if you're starting from 1. I recently had an alt PLed up to 17 thinking i could get some extra retainers to shove old stuff on only to find out you need to clear through story quest #35 with the initial three dungeons. Can't even get a mount until quest 46 despite getting 5+ in the mail from promo items.

Main Scenario Quests - Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn Wiki - FFXIV / FF14 ARR Community Wiki and Guide

1-50 = 184 quests
50 = 100 quests
51-60 = 94 quests
60 = 44 quests

Harkon

Vyemm Raider
It's hilarious normally people hardly speak in shout for the most part, but tonight all the channels are filled up with people talking about SB. It's like because the expansion is coming out all the people are coming out of their shells for one night, like Christmas eve.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
A few of those hours are tedious, to be sure. Especially in the lull during the MSQ after 50 but before HW in places. But the rest is decent-good with the last bit of the 50 MSQ being amazing and all of HW/Post 60 MSQ is great-amazing. I don't think I could get into a game 1-2 expansions in and -not- do the previous content in favor of only the latest. It isn't like the content isn't -all- new to someone in that situation.

I could see if the level skip still made you do all the relevant content... sure. But skipping stuff just to hit the endgame of a game that isn't all that heavily focused on "endgame" activities is a bit strangeish to me. Oh well hah. This is the same relative mentality to buying game currency from IGE or similar: "Why would I waste time earning the currency when I can just spend $15 to get it instantly?"

Hey, people spend their money however they want, and that's totally fine. It just doesn't fit my personal reasoning for playing games (to experience the content) when I try to look at it objectively. Still a subjective viewpoint!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Harkon

Vyemm Raider
I don't know why you would even bother playing FFXIV without doing the MSQ it's like one of the major selling features of the game.

It's like going into a coffee house and ordering tea; yeah sure you will get your tea but you're missing the point.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It's moreso that I don't want to be gated behind 2 months worth of nothing but MSQ before I can even think about catching up to the beginning of the expansion. I'm sure the story is great, I won't dispute that. Hell, the chains of promathia missions in ffxi are some of the best stories I've ever played through with zilart right behind. I know SE can tell a good story.

Maybe I'll go back and revisit it on another toon or something later, but right now for a dude that didn't play a bunch since release this is what I have to do. I'm not doing a level skip.

Harkon

Vyemm Raider
Like what are you trying to catch up for though? You said yourself that you are going to play this casual so who the fuck cares if your a few months behind in content, enjoy it.

I don't mean to harp though, play how you wish, but you're like this new guy in my FC he said he's going to story and level skip and I keep telling him don't; our FC won't spoil shit and will run all the content he wants when he gets to it.

I get the idea of running content when its new but the game releases several patches throughout the months and new stuff's always coming out that invalidates the old shit.

Don't fuck over your experience just for the sake of playing catch up.

* I get wanting to level skip however if you can skip leveling go for it.

Last edited:

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah I mean I get it. I just want to try the new expansion and don't feel like being gated by 2 year old content. I completely understand what you're saying, it's just not what I want to do.

Harkon

Vyemm Raider
Fair enough dude, though I still enjoyed Casablanca when I watched it.

OK I'll lay off, lol.

Have fun in Stormblood, make sure to let us know if you like it! Or hate it...

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
You could probably find a summary of the story though and not miss that much especially if you sit a couple of hours in the inn checking the various cutscenes and stuff. A large part of the MSQ is still "go talk to this fucker, now teleport somewhere and go talk to another fucker" and the vanilla MSQ especially is filled with stupid ass filler bear quests in the middle of the MSQ(HW MSQ a lot less so, still has you running around talking to people, but it's a lot more focused).

I think the main issue is the Stormblood storyline will spoil a bunch of the large changes in the previous MSQ. Not gonna go into it cause spoilers but there's A LOT of stuff, most of the good stuff too, that will be spoiled in the first 15-30mins of the Stormblood MSQ just because some NPC will reference to it in some way, so that part kinda sucks.

There's also the lack of content kinda? I mean Stormblood will take a while to finish if you're super casual about it, but once you're done nothing's left.

My advice at least would be, I believe they said there would be a potion for vanilla and a potion for both vanilla and HW. I'd consider just getting the vanilla one. The vanilla story is, for the most part, pretty forgettable. There's some good moments near the end that led to Heavensward, but watching the cutscenes is probably good enough, and a lot of the original 2.0 stuff is quite honestly pretty garbage(the dungeons and stuff are cool like the primals and castrum and what not, but you can still do that fine without the quests around it and not miss much imo). The HW story is pretty nice, isn't full of fillers and you wouldn't be far from Stormblood anyway. You also have access to all classes.

But if you skip everything that's fine too and understandable. Just probably won't feel as impactful to see the Stormblood story stuff without having seen the previous stuff, especially all the building up they've been doing in HW.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I have never played an MMO for the story no matter how good it supposedly is. I don't even play single player for the story. Sound off, movies skipped, etc ...

I play it for the gameplay whatever that may be.

Harkon

Vyemm Raider
Yeah like pyros said there is a decent amount of filler that shits on the story in vanilla but it builds to a great finish.

Heavensward builds much faster but if you end up skipping a lot then the emotional impact that later scenes have will fall flat because you won't give a shit about that happens to the characters.