Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Kantern

Silver Knight of the Realm
They made the Aether Currents super easy (at least in HW, still leveling my alt). They are all along the path you take for the MSQ and offen right next to quest turn ins.

Malkav

French Madman
Just hit your aether compass regularly while traveling and you should be fine.

Well, except for a few that look obvious but are a bitch to get. Looking at you, current in the Lochs where you have to follow a path that starts at the other side of the zone.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Lochs one is really the exception and is the "finale" of the aether currents for that expansion so it's not even that bad imo and gets you to visit an area that's otherwise largely ignored even by sidequests.

The HW ones are definitely just press the button every now and then and you basically get one every step of the MSQ so by the end of the MSQ you have every aether currents and the MSQ one and only have to go do 3-4 sidequests/a dungeon run to finish that zone. SB too iirc other than Lochs stuff. ShB was also similar to that very straightforward.

Overall the aether currents are only a minor annoyance if that, and it sure as fuck beat maxing every rep and other bullshit and waiting several months to get flying back like in WoW. Even if you don't do them as you level(which you should since they're generally right next to questing areas), it probably takes like 20 to 30mins per zone to get everything done and there's only like 5-6zones per expansion.

Cybsled

What a good craft for Bard soon to be Machinist? I'm interested in utility/QOL for my character.

They gave me 15 extra days of play time for hitting 30 on new account. Strange.

Like someone else stated, you can pick up all crafts on a character.

Weapons will be the biggest impact on DPS. I suppose if you wanted to strive for that for that, then blacksmith makes machinist weapons usually. However, there is a lot of cross-craft synergy (ie, blacksmith will need shit made by other crafting disciplines to make something), which is why so many people will level up multiple crafting classes.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Is there a place where I can go to just have someone tell me what materia I should be using for various classes?

I mean it LOOKS like DH is basically sex right now with some levels of SPEED (cast or otherwise) until you hit certain marks.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Is there a place where I can go to just have someone tell me what materia I should be using for various classes?

I mean it LOOKS like DH is basically sex right now with some levels of SPEED (cast or otherwise) until you hit certain marks.

Check out The Balance on Discord

Pyros

<Silver Donator>

Yeah The Balance has a discord, they have a website too but it's not always updated. Generally it's like you said, speed until whatever is needed, then crit or dh, depending on the class. The difference is small enough that slotting anything works fine though, at least for standard gear(for pentamelded shit it has more impact obviously since it's a lot more stats).

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
If you're looking to min/max, check out The Balance for your BiS builds.

If you're okay being a 99%er instead of a 100%er, just melt direct hit because it's never wrong.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Fuck it, I caved and bought a skip of ARR (and the fat cat mount because its a fucking fat cat mount).

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Holy crap more than 4 hours of cutscenes to catch up on

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Fuck it, I caved and bought a skip of ARR (and the fat cat mount because its a fucking fat cat mount).

i did not - fuuuuck it took forever to finish through 2.55. Your money was well spent.

• 1Mother of God

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
I know when I play MMOs that are story driven my first instinct is to skip the story.

JK man I ARR was a LOONG walk.

Last edited:

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
That's what everyone said to me but I honestly.wouldve never made it to SHB if I didn't skip it

• 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm

Honestly, when I go back to play FFXIV full time again.. I'm getting that f'n Cat mount if its still available. That and the gd Whale. The Cat mount just for my own tongue in cheek bullshit, but the Whale just to shit on people that hate you for buying it (yet they go out and spend 15 bucks on McDonalds).

• 1Solidarity

Cybsled

If you bought the ARR skip, make sure you watch the end of the story (goto your inn room and use the desk to watch previous cutscenes). You'll be confused as fuck otherwise and you'll miss some great shit towards the end.

• 1Like

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
If you bought the ARR skip, make sure you watch the end of the story (goto your inn room and use the desk to watch previous cutscenes). You'll be confused as fuck otherwise and you'll miss some great shit towards the end.

This. ARR skip is fine but there's some quality story points that happen in what,somewhere in the last 30 of 100 quests?

• 1Faggotry

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Honestly, when I go back to play FFXIV full time again.. I'm getting that f'n Cat mount if its still available. That and the gd Whale. The Cat mount just for my own tongue in cheek bullshit, but the Whale just to shit on people that hate you for buying it (yet they go out and spend 15 bucks on McDonalds).
fucking fat cat is hilarious

Fucker

Log Wizard
I bought the skip at 43. There's plenty to do without the MSQ. Duties, Fates, Dungeons. I probably would have been 50 by now if I didn't find player housing neighborhoods. Some people are insane.