Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
The area of the telegraphs does not correspond that well to the graphic. Either that or there is substantial placement inaccuracy built into their client-server-networking system. I've had to make sure that I am well outside the area subtended by the graphic in order to avoid the strikes.

They seem to have a big problem with these -3102 errors. I've been locked out for the past 6 hours due to it and their forum where they want such things reported is similarly down due to net traffic.

Their website is terrible though, as is the bizarre gordian knot of different account systems they seem to employ.

turbo

Molten Core Raider
It has its flaws but so far I'm fairly entertained. Last night I got the dreaded 3102 error right when I finished tanking an instance for a guild so i'm stuck crafting on my 2box account fearful to leave lol.

So far on 1 account I have a 20 THM, 17 arcanist, 20 weaver, 15 armorsmith, 8 conj. Other account a 20 Marauder, 20 Gladiator, 8 conj, 15 miner. My thoughts so far
- Crafting, I hate crafting yet its stranglely addicting. Problem is no way in hell to keep leveled up to use it while we head to 50 so its more useful for a 2nd character
- Gathering, better then stupid WOW and WOW clone gathering but takes a fairly decent amount of time to get rolling. Sucks they look to cap HQ by 15% regardless of gear (i think?) plus buffs.
Tanks - So far marauder is so much better due to overpower & stun. My Gladiator takes abit better beating but i'm not playing to level 40+ before I get a good AE hate ability. I do hate the fairly long cooldowns on tank abilities since I always find myself saving them for oh shit moments
DPS - I like THM knowing that it will get abit more complex down the road. Cast times make the horrible 2.5 cd not as bad, on a tank I want to stab myself repeatedly.Arcanist so far just feels meh, too early to tell but I quit him at 17 as I have zero interest in leveling

Many things to bitch about but since its a fresh MMO i'll take them in stride.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Good thing nervegears haven't been invented yet, or else this would turn into Sword Art Online with all of the 3102s. Not that Sean would mind.

xzi

Mouthbreather
I'm only level 10 and I have to say I'm already somewhat bored with it. I don't mind the combat and the zones are pretty but it just feels like I've played it before. I haven't done any dungeons yet though so I'm waiting out on that.

Does it get better? Is it just suffering the boringness of starting areas? I want to like this game but I don't think I'm going to be able to play it enough before open beta ends :S

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
A lot of people say it gets better after 15 but I had the same issue. It felt tedious. Hard for me to log in.

Phandy

Golden Squire
No MMO that I can remember suddenly became a more fun experience, for those who didn't like the first 20 levels or so, at X point. I wouldn't get your hopes up to much.

I am enjoying it for what it is. Unfortunately I woke up to the 3102 error and with their Forums down, I doubt I will get that resolved today.

xzi

Mouthbreather
I don't know if that's necessarily true. I find some/most starting zones in any MMO to be boring because they have to show some people how to play instead of assuming everyone has already played an MMO. Which is totally fine. But I'm going to keep playing for a bit while I can today and see if I like it or not.

turbo

Molten Core Raider
I think they throw enough at you from a variety of angels to keep the average bear enterained. You have solo main mission to keep you going in the general right direction, you have class quests which depending on class can throw a minor curve ball or two at you, you have instances that give good exp (not very hard but the 20+'s start at least giving you abit of flavor), you have main things like Ifrit fight which again switch things up on you abit. The hunting logs give awesome experience and get you searching, the FATE's give solid exp, for 2nd classes leveling is pretty fast with just doing Fates and hunter logs.

They didn't reinvent MMO's but I think the journey to 50 is definitely not going to be as boring to me as most, I like to rush to 50 but even I am enjoying it abit. Real question will be what we can do at 50, the slow GCD and a few crazy JP related ideas make me abit turned off but the rest of the game is top notch so if they keep the end game challenging I'm sure I will be here for awhile.

Tredge

Vyemm Raider
After playing a good amount today, I can say without any reservation that (for me) this game is better than Guild Wars 2, SWTOR, Rift, etc. Amazing what a nice looking world and little music will do for your overall satisfaction level. I'm really liking the 2.5s GCD as well, when I thought I wouldn't. Its a little slow at the start, and super old-fashioned game design - but its done well and its flat out fun. Need to get leatherworking up to 10 asap - leveling up leather squares one at a time can eat a dick
I see posts like this and I want it to be true for me. Maybe I am playing the wrong class?
I dont mind the GCD. I played FF7 this month to get the nostalgia juice going and enjoyed the long cool-down between commands and pace of that game.

To say its better than GW2 or RIFT - how? I just dont see it.
  • Only 15 - but character depth seems incredibly weak.
  • Only 2 types of gear - caster and melee.
  • Completely cookie cutter - I look like every other marauder in the game.
  • Skills are generic - 1,2,1,2,defensive cooldown every 5 minutes. - With Rift I could learn different builds that kept me entertained for weeks. Even GW2 had more skill depth.
  • World is pretty but not more than GW2 imo. Gw2 had exploration and jumping puzzles done right.
  • Questing is typical go kill stuff.

The biggest problem I have right now - its stupid easy. I went around with no gear for the first 10 levels of my marauder and still didnt lose any hp even when I pulled too much stuff.

I dont want to go bashing a game many here seem to like - I just want to understand what I am missing. Maybe it gets better and I need to come back after beta.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If you got error 3102ed you are not fixed and no ETA. I'm having to watch over Merrith's shoulder today since he avoided it and I didn't. A few people got hit with it Friday morning and still haven't been able to play, but there was a huge wave that hit late last night so hopefully that garnered enough attention to the problem (hey it's beta, imagine if it was live and this happened).

Around 1:00 am EST there was 5210 posts in the thread asking to list the world and character that got 3102ed. And those are only the ones who used the beta forum and bothered.

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
If you got error 3102ed you are not fixed and no ETA. I'm having to watch over Merrith's shoulder today since he avoided it and I didn't. A few people got hit with it Friday morning and still haven't been able to play, but there was a huge wave that hit late last night so hopefully that garnered enough attention to the problem (hey it's beta, imagine if it was live and this happened).

Around 1:00 am EST there was 5210 posts in the thread asking to list the world and character that got 3102ed. And those are only the ones who used the beta forum and bothered.
Heh, I tried to add my name to the thread in the event they were going to individually fix people, but the forums completely died. :p

Barab

Silver Knight of the Realm
There must not player kick due to inactivity. I passed out drunk last night waking up five hours later to my toon still in game just standing there. Error 3102 now as well looks like they need a server reboot.