Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Cybsled

Even if SE was open to it, zero chance Blizzard/Activision would ever go for it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Even if SE was open to it, zero chance Blizzard/Activision would ever go for it.
True, but it doesnt take a genius to realize that as time passes.. more and more of the audience jumps between the two. So many people I know online were like "Id never play that anime BS" and then .. low and behold, theyre asking me if I want to join their raid group in ffxiv.

Pretty confident in saying that most MMO players jump between the top MMO's repeatedly at this point.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

True, but it doesnt take a genius to realize that as time passes.. more and more of the audience jumps between the two. So many people I know online were like "Id never play that anime BS" and then .. low and behold, theyre asking me if I want to join their raid group in ffxiv.

Pretty confident in saying that most MMO players jump between the top MMO's repeatedly at this point.

I definitely do, although I'm about to quit WoW again, probably for the rest of this expansion cycle, whereas I've stayed subbed to 14 and will do so through at least Endwalker launch.

Daidraco

Im about to resub to FFXIV. WoW is just running on where I used Tokens at launch at this point.

• 2Like

Xerge

<Donor>
A crossover in WoW with another MMO I play would get my sub for a month. Shadowlands did not get my sub for a month. Business is business, blizz.

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I see a lot of posts on other websites saying FFXIV is the closest game out right now that has an old school feel. Can anyone confirm? I’m bored of EQ and WoW right now.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I see a lot of posts on other websites saying FFXIV is the closest game out right now that has an old school feel. Can anyone confirm? I’m bored of EQ and WoW right now.
Cant speak to the game now, but I played it for about a year when the re-release happened way back when. And it was ok but I just dont like the whole japan thing with cutsey bullshit and chochoboos or whatever. Could never get over that shit personally.

• 2Like

Merrith

I don't know about "old school" feel. It's very story driven, although there is plenty of content to do, it's mostly just gated by going through the main story.

Xerge

<Donor>
I thought FF14 was far away from the old school feel, it does the modern mmo right though. ESO is old school to me, fucking KOS to everybody atm because im grinding npcs.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Cant speak to the game now, but I played it for about a year when the re-release happened way back when. And it was ok but I just dont like the whole japan thing with cutsey bullshit and chochoboos or whatever. Could never get over that shit personally.
Really missing out. Some of the best content (not to mention music) in MMOs.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Merrith

Meh doesn’t sound like my kinda MMO even if I do love the regular FF games.

Do they still have the free trial through the first expansion going, anyone know? Might be worth trying that out if it's still a thing, Anim. If you actually play through all that and it's not your thing, than it won't be your thing.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Janx

<Silver Donator>
It still has a problem with the OG content. IMO it still really sucks even after it got revamped. Once you hit Heavensward though it really turns around.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Do they still have the free trial through the first expansion going, anyone know? Might be worth trying that out if it's still a thing, Anim. If you actually play through all that and it's not your thing, than it won't be your thing.
Free trial goes through Heavensward now too.

Magimaster

Trakanon Raider

FWIW, the base game (A Realm Reborn) and the first expansion (Heavensward) are completely free to play. So if your bored, you have nothing to lose to just make an account and try the game.

I started FFXIV about a year and half ago, after dropping WoW during early BFA and haven't looked back. There's times, like right now, where I'm caught up on the content I wanted to do, so I'm playing something else but I'll jump back in at times to go knock something out that interests me; you aren't obligated to log on every day for dailies like WoW.

Compared to WoW, I would say that FFXIV has a much stronger focus on its story. i would even venture to say that FFXIV is closer to a simple player RPG with MMO style dungeons/raids. You can play the game at your own pace, with all sorts of main and side content. The Dev team is also much, much more engaged than the Blizzard dev teams are, especially compared to now.

Daidraco

I think it also depends on the class you play. Some classes are much more difficult to play than others. Where as some classes like the Tanks are brain dead easy. I personally didnt really start the enjoy the game a lot until Stormblood. Its like pulling teeth to get some people up to that point, and once theyre there.. they really get into it. Whether thats because of how much time they invested or not.

I havent made a new character to see the differences, but theyve supposedly put a good dent in all the pointless travel that takes place in the MSQ from ARR to Heavensward. Something like 50-70 quests of just pure filler in between the expansion and the base game and I think they cut out at least a quarter of those.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah the trial has limitations to prevent bots using them(no trading, no market, capped at 300k gil, can't send tells or make PFs and so on) but otherwise it lets you play a very large chunk of the game for free. ARR+HW is like 50hours just doing the story. The game starts slow however and the combat will feel clunky as fuck at low lvl due to the long GCD and the lack of skills. It gets a lot better as you level and get more and more options, to the point where you'll feel you have too many options on some classes and it goes the other way into the "this is overwhelming" territory(most classes end up with 25-28 skills, so you better have a good amount of keybinds ready).

Definitely not for everyone overall(like really, anythingà, but it's a pretty solid game, the story is nice, the music is great, the art is solid, the combat and classes are pretty fun and as expected from a 8years old mmo, there's a lot of things to do, both combat and non combat content.