Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I have bad news for you in the future if a lvl50 SAM has too much buttons for you.

oh no cat black.png

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Alright what am I doing wrong on white mage. The level 50+ duty finder stuff I'm finding it impossible to keep tanks alive during like, trash pulls?

Bosses seem relatively fine, just a lot of group healing for most of them. But trash is like so much incoming damage on tanks that it's like, regen them, instant cast cure 2, cast cure 2 on cooldown, and then they die before i can cast another cure 2 sometimes. Is there an extra button or something I've missed a quest for? There's the one instant full heal but it's like a 3m cooldown and not up nearly enough to keep these dudes alive during some of these trash piles.

Malkav

French Madman
Alright what am I doing wrong on white mage. The level 50+ duty finder stuff I'm finding it impossible to keep tanks alive during like, trash pulls?

Bosses seem relatively fine, just a lot of group healing for most of them. But trash is like so much incoming damage on tanks that it's like, regen them, instant cast cure 2, cast cure 2 on cooldown, and then they die before i can cast another cure 2 sometimes. Is there an extra button or something I've missed a quest for? There's the one instant full heal but it's like a 3m cooldown and not up nearly enough to keep these dudes alive during some of these trash piles.

I guess you don't have Afflatus Solace which is lvl52.

Also, spam Holy on trash packs, you can stun lock them a while before they get immune to stun.

Tanks should be rotating CDs on trash, but depending on the job their CD situation can be quite varied at lvl50.

Magimaster

Trakanon Raider

Hrmmm, Regen and Cure 2 are your Go-To at that level.

Probably what is happening is that many tanks read online to just do Big Pulls without realizing that they need to run Mitigation Cooldowns on trash rather than on bosses if they are gonna pull that much. Many tanks fail to account for how much auto-attack damage they will take from a group of 12-15 mobs, especially because you are gun-shy at the start of the pull to not pull heal aggro. tanks have enough cooldowns to have at least 1 or 2 up per big pull, and if not, then that is an indication they need to throttle it back.

May also depend on the DPS your groups have. Lots of AoE makes big pulls easier whereas more single target dps means the tanks should instead shift to more chain pulling than big pulling.

Chris

Potato del Grande

Are they used to lv80 healers and pulling multiple packs? While the content is scaled they will have the maximum item level.

Does your gear match your level? If it does, what item level is it?

You should be able to cast Regen and spam Cure 1 and only use Cure 2 when tank is taking lots of damage. Then Medica 2 for AoE Regen then spam Medica for AoE healing.

Emergancy buttons really shouldn't be for regular trash unless it's a miniboss or the tank stood in something.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Pulls are too big, its a shit tank or both. I wouldnt stress it, both are out of your control to an extent. Can always just say you're new, please take it easy - which a lot of people actually .. listen to? Unlike say, WoW dungeons.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yea the more of these I do it seems to vary a ton by tank. They all like blitz through rooms and amass like 3+ trash packs, and then some of them just explode while I'm spamming cure 2 and others I just do random DPS here and there cause they seem to be immortal?

And holy christ if you stop running for like .5 seconds everyone is 5 rooms ahead of you and out of range and dies immediately.

Malkav

French Madman
That's basically how dungeons are ran. Wall to wall pulls and you're expected to DPS as a healer. Any tank worth his salt should give you room to spam Holy on trash.

Cybsled

There any particular reason to join a free company, like one of these random shitter ones that are always shouting in town?

People moving between FC is pretty common in FFXIV. Main reason to join is if the leaders on the FC aren't asleep, they will activate FC buffs. Things like bonus xp, longer food buffs, etc. I joined a spam FC when I first started playing and the people ended up being pretty helpful

Unlocked samurai, equipped the sword, didn't even have enough hotbars configured to hold all their buttons.

Deleted my samurai sword.

Sam is actually "easy" as far as DPS go. I main Samurai. The problem is you are instantly level 50 when you unlock the class and they throw a fuckton of abilities at you, so you didnt have the benefit of growing with the class and learning everything. Realistically, you're primarily using only a few buttons constantly at 50. The other unlock classes are similar - you get overwhelmed because you're getting 50/60 levels worth of shit all at once.

Your attack that is the starter for all your combos - > the other 4 buttons that will light up for combos. Then your 3 symbol special attack when all 3 colored symbols are activated. Most of the other stuff is situational (AOE) or rarely used (ranged attack). Eventually when you get to stormblood, you unlock a new resource meter and that is where you get the abilities you weave between GCD and your mobility stuff.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Pulls are too big, its a shit tank or both. I wouldnt stress it, both are out of your control to an extent. Can always just say you're new, please take it easy - which a lot of people actually .. listen to? Unlike say, WoW dungeons.
yeah, until a bunch of wow people show up and ruin it cause they are all fleeing now, people tend to be polite, or at least keep their rude comment to themselves, if you ask to go slower.

people tend to not look to see if their healer is a sprout or not level synced, and then can way over pull being used to having a synced down person healing who's iLevel is going to be maxed. Other than Aurum Vale, no dungeon is too bad when leveling, but if youre unfamiliar with when your tank is gonna be burst or if they are gonna pull 5 camps, it can be pretty harrowing.

I recently leveled all 3 healers and had no problems when I told people, hey im in leveling gear or I havent done this dungeon in 3 years, please go soft on me.

Goonsquad Officer
I’d spend some time unlocking the hard dungeons at least, and crystal tower. More options to queue into never hurts.
I second doing crystal tower as early as you can. They make uou do it later and the loot can't help you then.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Is it actually possible to do positional attacks when solo? I can't actually tell if they are working or not. In some MMOS it is impossible if you're solo, the mobs turn as fast as you do, but in FF14 it seems like it might be possible?

If so, I'm spending a ton of time running in circles, is there something I can do with my camera or something to stick facing the mob, so I can rotate around and do flank/back attacks?

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
For you newbies, if you've unlocked The Golden Saucer, there is a weekly lottery that will draw tonight. It's called the Cactpot and the main prize is over a million gil.

This only requires level 15 to unlock? Damn, where is it? How hard/long is the unlock? Edit: I see it's an NPC in my main starting city, hmm don't know how I missed it. will go check it out now.

Edit 2: It appears it is expansion locked or something? There's no npc at the coords on Wiki.

Last edited:

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider

bolok

Trakanon Raider
This only requires level 15 to unlock? Damn, where is it? How hard/long is the unlock? Edit: I see it's an NPC in my main starting city, hmm don't know how I missed it. will go check it out now.
Its not actual gil. It's fake saucer money- which basically is good for mounts and glams. And i'll hate you if you actually win the grand prize.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Its not actual gil. It's fake saucer money- which basically is good for mounts and glams. And i'll hate you if you actually win the grand prize.
Doesn't look like I'll be signing up for this week. Seems to be expansion locked? I haven't activated my complete edition yet, since I don't need to. I'm at the location of the quest starter but nobody is here.

bolok

Trakanon Raider
That doesn't seem likely.

To unlock Gold Saucer, the player must complete the It Could Happen to You questline. Players can start the quest by talking to Well-heeled Youth in Ul'dah - Steps of Nald (x9,y9). Players must have completed the Main Scenario Quest: The Gridanian Envoy, The Ul'dahn Envoy or The Lominsan Envoy previously.

That said, it's the weekly cactpot is literally like entering the lotto. I think i've won more mgp from the daily scratch off version by FAR- than the weekly. The other games are kind of amusing tho. I'm still hacking away at chocobo racing, slowly.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user