Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
I did sunken temple today as a summoner, I can't imagine a dungeon much less favorable to a pet class than sunken temple starting with the very first boss... Then you have a pet chasing down a mob that runs at low life... then you have mobs that have to die in exact positioning or they respawn.... First boss is death to pets, maybe they need to turn up pet's resitances even further to include something like doom... But even then we still beat it and I didn't feel like a hindrance to the group. Every other fight since hitting 30 I had been playing as a Scholar. I do think the lack of burst is a little bit of a problem, on the last boss, the verge's need to die preferably within 5-6 seconds, but more realistically within 10, either way, WAY too short a time for dots to be useful, I basically just sicced my pet then started trying to ruin, energy drain, then ruin again. If I had ruin 2 I'd have been spamming that, which actually would have been fine I think. I do think sustained against multiple mobs is pretty high, as well as on movement fights. On a longer "burst" phase, such as the rock golem boss with the soulstone, I have no doubt that a BLM would run out of mana prior to reaching the end of the "burst" unless they get lucky with firestarter/thunder procs. Especially since it allows a summoner to preload 3 dots via the bane mechanic at the start of each burst.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
First boss simply requires you to move the pet on the thing to dispel doom like you would normally. Mostly an issue because you don't have Garuda yet and Ifrit is melee so you lose a bunch of time in the process. Still I did that with my healing fairy when I healed it as SCH and it's not really a big problem, just order the move while you're running to the spot yourself.

The thing with the whole summoner is shit is I see that on DPS official forums but it's the same shit with every mmo, one class gets pointed out as being worst for whatever reason, most of the time not actual logical reason, and then everyone jumps the bandwagon and you have the derps being all like "I'm very gud player but class is weak so game is hard, plzbuff" and all that shit. There's multiple page threads of people saying SMN DPS needs to be buffed, with not a single mention of what SMN DPS is, because no one actually fucking knows if it's good or bad or average or green. Once in a while you have the retard king that shows up and tell you how it's bad because Ruin is worse than Fire or some other nonsense shit but mostly it's people complaining that the class should be buffed because the previous poster said so.

I would be all for making pets better, especially controlling them when casting and making sure they're resistant to all types of aoe dmg and shit like that and buffing some quality of life shit with SMN like Bane aoe range, cooldown and/or power on Enkindle, Aetherflow amount on a SMN(which if it was higher would fix burst issues) and so on. But asking for a DPS buff when there is no actual DPS number available for the class is pretty stupid. It could very well be the lowest I don't know, my anecdotical experience with SMN pubs in Amdapor is that most of them suck, but one of them was really good at easily one of the top3 DPS we had in our 50ish run so far, based on how fast bosses were dying.

Now if you want to roll a DPS and have no preference at all, then I'd recommend a bard instead, even though they could very well be first to be nerfed. They are currently the best overall DPS class, combining ranged DPS, instant casts and some solid utility, and all that with what appears the highest DPS based on limited parses. But the parses fucking suck at the moment because the combat log in this game is atrocious so you can't parse anything dot related accurately, regardless of the class, which has varying impacts depending on which class you're parsing, the more reliant on dots, the less likely it'll be accurate(and generally a fuckton lower than it should be).

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Lets cut through the crap here for a moment and phrase this another way:

There is no scenario in where someone making a group for end game content right now would want to choose a summoner over any other DPS class. Because summoners get outdamaged by every other DPS class, and the one perk they have doesn't nearly outweigh what the group loses by taking a summoner. Meaning that if you're leveling a new classright nowyou would be well advised to stay far, far away from summoner at the moment. There's simply no reason to level up what's currently the gimp end game class.
frown.png

I am a summoner. Always pay pet classes, but you are not wrong about our burst dps. However, it does get better at 38. However, by the first Titan fight, we are not that good, that is for sure. By then we do not have fester or Ruin 2, so no instant damage abilities. Titan fight and the last boss at Sunken Temple were really noticeable in terms of lack of burst dps, Sunken Temple even more so. In ST you need to kill pillars, that I saw other DPS classes (including tank) close to twoshot, however, when I was left alone inside the boxes, there was no way at level 35 to deliver the burst dps required to kill the pillar before it despawned into an AE.

When you do get fester and ruin 2, it does get slightly better, however, fester does require you to stack a few dots before you use it. When done though, it can crit for close to 600 and hits normally for 350ish (by level 42). So in around 10 seconds, I guess we could do roughly 500-1000 damage depending on crits + whatever pet does. With the cooldown, fester can hit twice before dots need to be reapplied, so add 500 (or more with crits) from a ruin 2 and another fester after 3ish seconds + however much the dot ticks do + pets.

Back in EQ mages were told dps was bad as well, compared to wizzies who got extreme damage compared to us. Once parses were made giving all the extra damage from the pets, it did show that our dps was actually quite high. Just missed that ever elusive burst (or the 10k crit messages).

Also, pet does have some uses in dungeons. Did a fc group the other day in Cutters I think it was, where boss spawns adds that can't be CCed and regen hp if it gets close. Put titan pet on add, offtanked it easily.

Would disagree with your conclusion that we are useless and not worth leveling, and also that people would be best off picking any other dps class. Though I would like to hear what damage numbers you all are doing. Is 1000ish damage in 10 seconds bad at 42? I am not sure what other classes can do. I might be completely wrong in thinking that it gets better at around 40 if other classes can far outdo that. I like playing it though.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
Yoshi hot off the presses:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/t...29#post1204429

Interesting stuff:

- With the exception of recently added Worlds, each World can now support 7,300 to 7,800 simultaneous logins

- Following the increase in server capacity, we reached 325,000 simultaneous logins, and we anticipate that this number will only increase. Therefore, as our development and operations teams continue to work towards a full-scale upgrade of our servers and systems in order to accommodate more players, we willcontinue our suspension of digital sales of the game.

- In addition to our above plans to improve server stability, we will begin service for World transfers.

- Next year will see the PlayStation 4 release and another influx of players. In order to ensure the best experience for all of our customers and customers-to-be, we are carefully monitoring our operations as we continue planning extensive changes to improve the game.

One thing I get is that SE seems to know this game is going to make one big moneyhat for them. They already seem to have an idea of just how large their core base will be and seem to not be following the "HURRY, GET 100 NEW SERVERS UP BEFORE EVERYONE LEAVES!" mentality that you see end up like Warhammer Online with three servers left later on.

Between knowing who your core customers are and having a good financially sound company, you can pretty much drops hints to tourists that they can go fuck off if they want to and go back to playing w/e mmo they are tired of. Or you can wait.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
In the meantime they have people leaving because they don't have enough servers up. They're trying to adapt, but they haven't got the proportions correct yet.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
In true "rerolled" style, I rerolled on Gilga remaking my Dragoon. Now that my son's soccer season is wrapping up, I should have more playing time. I'll shoot someone a message in game for a FC invite. Muligan Jurai Dragoon on Gilgamesh. As much as I loved my White Mage, after playing a healing class since 1999, I think I want to just hit stuff for awhile.

In regards to servers, I know a lot of people may be getting angry but I really don't want server after server added. When Free Transfers come, it will maybe balance out. When they open sales back up, maybe a couple of servers would help but they know their caps and hopefully they are being attentive to capacity.

Saban_sl

shitlord
I'm more interested in whats on the board for the first content patch. I'm hoping for some way to make money because im slowly going broke using teleport.

Bruman

Golden Squire
I'm more interested in whats on the board for the first content patch. I'm hoping for some way to make money because im slowly going broke using teleport.
They said dailies are coming in 2.1. Hopefully they have reasonable gil rewards.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/...-realm-reborn/

We've already begun work on the first update that is currently called patch 2.1 and will introduce a large-scale housing system, as well as "The Wolves' Den" - the first ever PvP content in the series. Furthermore, the update will include new dungeons, a new daily quest system, new Primal battles, extensions to the main story, and loads of other new content to enjoy.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Well fuck , props to them for not opening digital sales immediately. Truly surprised the bean counters aren't forcing it , and while they are still morons on the infrastructure side for going the 1017 route instead of long queues , and no afk kick , they definitely deserve kudos for being cautious on the sales instead of going for the quick money grab.

Bruman

Golden Squire
Well fuck , props to them for not opening digital sales immediately. Truly surprised the bean counters aren't forcing it , and while they are still morons on the infrastructure side for going the 1017 route instead of long queues , and no afk kick , they definitely deserve kudos for being cautious on the sales instead of going for the quick money grab.
Digital sales were open immediately. It was reactionary after the fact, when many people could not play at all.

It's still a good move, and I'm glad they did it (GW2 did this too) - but it's not like they were smart enough from the beginning to withhold it.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I did sunken temple today as a summoner, I can't imagine a dungeon much less favorable to a pet class than sunken temple starting with the very first boss... Then you have a pet chasing down a mob that runs at low life... then you have mobs that have to die in exact positioning or they respawn.... First boss is death to pets, maybe they need to turn up pet's resitances even further to include something like doom... But even then we still beat it and I didn't feel like a hindrance to the group. Every other fight since hitting 30 I had been playing as a Scholar. I do think the lack of burst is a little bit of a problem, on the last boss, the verge's need to die preferably within 5-6 seconds, but more realistically within 10, either way, WAY too short a time for dots to be useful, I basically just sicced my pet then started trying to ruin, energy drain, then ruin again. If I had ruin 2 I'd have been spamming that, which actually would have been fine I think. I do think sustained against multiple mobs is pretty high, as well as on movement fights. On a longer "burst" phase, such as the rock golem boss with the soulstone, I have no doubt that a BLM would run out of mana prior to reaching the end of the "burst" unless they get lucky with firestarter/thunder procs. Especially since it allows a summoner to preload 3 dots via the bane mechanic at the start of each burst.
I have this beat.

The Dzemael Darkhold is the WORST damn dungeon in the history of dungeons for mele/tanking. Who thought it was fun to have choke points that are so narrow your camera zooms all the way damn near to 1st person. Then let?s add roamers that can't be seen until on top of you sometimes, because of camera zoom!

Better yet. Let?s put ranged mobs next to crystals that have a nasty aoe! Where the only way for me as a tank to get them to move, is to hope that I proc shield swipe (shield slam did nothing bt keep em in place) off before mentioned roamers, so they stop their damn casting.

Better yet again! Let?s have a boss that needs to be dragged from spot to spot in some purple goo that?s next to a stalagmite so you once again get a silly camera angle, that doesn?t allow for me to personally see where the fuck the next goo is, because I need to watch my positioning, less I step outside that purple goo! (catches breath). So I need to rely on Billy Bad Player to actually look up from his PS3 controller, to make sure he is hitting the right buttons, to tell me when the next goo spawns.

Better yet twice again! Let?s add a final boss fight where mele spend more time dodging shit than hitting the boss. And IF they don?t dodge in time because the AOE ?tells? in this game are all fucked up?theyjustfuckingdie.

Now?although I just ranted, we cleared the dungeon in no time at all. It just wasn?t any fun. Not even a little. I will just avoid that place. The biggest thing they need to fix, is the tightness. The camera zooming in and out on rotations because of it sucks. I wish things that aren?t walls would just go transparent.

Ferr_sl

shitlord
So I was one of the people who registered to another service account. I set in my petition, email, AND the support form for this on the 26th.

I just got back from vacation to find all three fucking support tickets closed with no responses. So I try again.... Does anyone have a spare key or know where I can fucking buy one at this point? Having a level 46 locked for 2 weeks is fucking bogus.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
i am waiting on transfer.
It's probably going to be the other way around (only allow off high pop (Gilg) to low pop).

In the meantime they have people leaving because they don't have enough servers up. They're trying to adapt, but they haven't got the proportions correct yet.
Next month at this time is going to be interesting. There is obviously going to be some dropoff but I wonder how much, due to the server issues as well as some just burning through the content.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Anybody happent to know how long it takes for diminishing returns to reset? I noticed last night once i got Enhanced Flash (adds a 12 second Blind), if you cast it again it blinds for 6 seconds.. then no blind at all until you wait awhile then you'll get the full 12 seconds again.

Also, Is stun on the same sort of "DR counter"? seems like you can pretty much only stun something once and it won't stick on them again.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
It's probably going to be the other way around (only allow off high pop (Gilg) to low pop).

Next month at this time is going to be interesting. There is obviously going to be some dropoff but I wonder how much, due to the server issues as well as some just burning through the content.
There will be some drop off and I feel no sympathy for those that are just blasting through content but I think we will be pleasantly surprised just how many people hang around up to and through Christmas. I think this game has to focus on Christmas and there after. You're going to have a lot of people with more time on their hands and they'll need assurance that everything is going to be worth it moving forward. Don't forget we have new consoles coming out in November as well. So players need something to look forward to in terms of content.

spronk

FPS noob
dropoff will be 50% first month and another 50% second month, maybe less if they actually put out patch 2.1 (probably not). By the third month most servers will be absolute ghost towns. It has all happened before and will happen again, so say we all.

Bruman

Golden Squire
Yeah, that's pretty likely, although I think the "you can level up everything" will help for some better retention than normal.

But still, it'll be enough that everyone that gives a shit should enjoy the easy FATE grinding while there are zergs big enough for it :p

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Im enjoying the game but I want to have fun and play with my IRL friends and this nonsense with the servers has caused a lot of emotions. Same thing with the code registration, there were people who couldnt log in for a week so they have all the right to be frustrated. Not to mention I think doing 100 AK runs is starting to wear thin on people haha.

People this week have already started talking about Wildstar in mumble and saying they might not renew after 30 days and just play whatever which is sad, I like the people in ISIS and been having a blast in FFXIV =((

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I'm not going anywhere Brogoon, fist pump me and let's share a Heineken. Back in town and back on tonight.

Mugaaz_sl

shitlord
Im enjoying the game but I want to have fun and play with my IRL friends and this nonsense with the servers has caused a lot of emotions. Same thing with the code registration, there were people who couldnt log in for a week so they have all the right to be frustrated. Not to mention I think doing 100 AK runs is starting to wear thin on people haha.

People this week have already started talking about Wildstar in mumble and saying they might not renew after 30 days and just play whatever which is sad, I like the people in ISIS and been having a blast in FFXIV =((
I don't know why people worry about this stuff. A game lasts exactly how long its supposed to. Every MMO I've played has been for the exact length of time I was having fun and enjoying. EQ was several years, WoW slightly less, most others weeks to months. There is no need to worry about where a game ends up in this spectrum. You play until it sucks and move on.