Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
I still don’t understand the 2002s. Other night I had to babysit and would sometimes error multiple times within a few minutes (this was after their maintenance). Last night, got on to a 6.5k queue and was able to just leave it there and go sit on the couch. Not a single error for the entire queue.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
I still don’t understand the 2002s. Other night I had to babysit and would sometimes error multiple times within a few minutes (this was after their maintenance). Last night, got on to a 6.5k queue and was able to just leave it there and go sit on the couch. Not a single error for the entire queue.

2002's occur when there are more than 17,000 people in the DATACENTRE login queue. Every 15 minutes, it refreshes your connection to the queue, and if there are more than 17k people trying to get in, your connection can be sniped by someone new trying to get in. Then you get a 2002.

If Gilg had a big queue, but Aether in total had less than 17k people trying to get in, then you wont get any 2002's.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Bored and wanted to give it a try, downloaded and went through character creation only to find that not a single server is accepting new character creations. And that ends my trial of the game, I rate it an F-

• 4Moron
  • 1Double Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
2002's occur when there are more than 17,000 people in the DATACENTRE login queue. Every 15 minutes, it refreshes your connection to the queue, and if there are more than 17k people trying to get in, your connection can be sniped by someone new trying to get in. Then you get a 2002.

If Gilg had a big queue, but Aether in total had less than 17k people trying to get in, then you wont get any 2002's.
They've increased that to 21k last Wednesday. But otherwise, it's essentially correct - once the total in the queues get too high, then you need to babysit your queue by having a second (and third) client ready to fire up and recover, since the 2002 error kills your client instead of sending you back to the home screen.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
How they haven't leveraged a cloud provider to handle the login queue, just to avoid the 2002/etc errors, is beyond me. You don't need hardware to put people into a queue.

Goonsquad Officer
I presume it has to do with japan/square's baffling obsession with inventing all their tech locally, and it often being horrible.

Yoshi P talked about how they experimented with cloud servers and found that for some things, it just wouldn't work.

You're right about the queue though, super weird. my current theory is s till that square balked at buying grossly overpriced server gear and that's why we're in the situation now.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
How they haven't leveraged a cloud provider to handle the login queue, just to avoid the 2002/etc errors, is beyond me. You don't need hardware to put people into a queue.

I love how people think you can just throw shit on the cloud and be good ... It doesn't work that way

• 4Like
  • 1Truth!
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 5 users

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I opted to log in in the morning and set up a macro.

I don’t really have a job amenable to clicking a button on a cellphone. I’m barely allowed a cellphone outside the office because the vapors in my area could explode (I imagine the real risk is overblown with liquid tight phones now).

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
ok, catgirls are pretty hot. that is all

1639340197649.png

Goonsquad Officer
I opted to log in in the morning and set up a macro.

I don’t really have a job amenable to clicking a button on a cellphone. I’m barely allowed a cellphone outside the office because the vapors in my area could explode (I imagine the real risk is overblown with liquid tight phones now).
ahh yea. so i'd log in at 6am. go to an inn, autorun at the wall and put jump on a timer. i know a number of people who do that. some claim just autorunning works but i'm kind of skeptical.

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
The queues are nuts, but the lack of awareness of the growth of their playerbase is worse. They saw numbers rising dramatically with the Blizzard shitshow and didn't apparently do much to resolve the situation before launch. And yeah, the 2002 errors are really annoying. I've gotten them from a queue of 3k, and gotten all the way through a 6.5k queue as well. It's just inconsistent.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
The queues are nuts, but the lack of awareness of the growth of their playerbase is worse. They saw numbers rising dramatically with the Blizzard shitshow and didn't apparently do much to resolve the situation before launch. And yeah, the 2002 errors are really annoying. I've gotten them from a queue of 3k, and gotten all the way through a 6.5k queue as well. It's just inconsistent.
They posted back in the summer when this first started that there was nothing they could do without semiconductors.

• 3Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 3 users

Goonsquad Officer
that's why my take on it is that square didn't want to pay the exorbitant costs for better server hardware. they're right that semiconductor shortage made more servers hard or near impossible, but i think money would have worked. they just elected not to.

some stooge on the top floor didn't understand how numbers work.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Been playing all weekend and about to enter the 6th zone. The story is great but I feel some people are hyping it a bit too much in the comments. The trials feel really hard though or it might just be me being overwhelmed playing a melee this time around.

The role quest sucked though, I basicaly skipped it and just went to the last quest asap.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
They did say in the letter a while back that they were trying to purchase for higher than market price (not sure how much higher) but that supply literally wasn't there.

• 4Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 4 users

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Been playing all weekend and about to enter the 6th zone. The story is great but I feel some people are hyping it a bit too much in the comments. The trials feel really hard though or it might just be me being overwhelmed playing a melee this time around.

The role quest sucked though, I basicaly skipped it and just went to the last quest asap.
Trials definitely seem harder

Cybsled

They did say in the letter a while back that they were trying to purchase for higher than market price (not sure how much higher) but that supply literally wasn't there.

Yes. Keep in mind they don't exist in a vacuum, its not like they are the only people needing stuff that uses semis. Same reason car lots at dealerships are like half or 3/4ths empty

• 4Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 4 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
For Gilg yesterday I had zero errors in queue until it hit 6-8pm EDT window, then it started. You could afk for a couple hours with no issues before that but once prime time starts you have to babysit.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Trial 1 has a lot of one shot or two shot mechanics to dodge, unless you get carried you have to learn them. I'd say that it's regular raid difficulty while trials are usually easier, probably because of the nature of what the boss represents.

Trial 2 and 3 I didn't think were out of the ordinary in difficulty. It helps that they hand you lv90 gear to do them both with, I was undergeared for Trial 1 at first.

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Trial 1 has a lot of one shot or two shot mechanics to dodge, unless you get carried you have to learn them. I'd say that it's regular raid difficulty while trials are usually easier, probably because of the nature of what the boss represents.

Trial 2 and 3 I didn't think were out of the ordinary in difficulty. It helps that they hand you lv90 gear to do them both with, I was undergeared for Trial 1 at first.
Totally agree, only completed trial 1, but felt like without someone who was acting as a guide, we would have wiped 10x. Few mechanics are tricky blind