Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Sean_sl

shitlord
I give up trying to understand people. They seem to play something while the entire time wishing they were playing something else.

Guess I'm the weirdo, im doing turn 5 coil and crafting/gathering and still having fun. I can easily see still playing for another 1-2 months still.

Oh and I have never played a FF game.

I'm waiting for the game that really slows down leveling(ie takes months to max out, either via levels or skill systems) and the huge bitch fest that will follow :p
Yeah, I'm enjoyingthisgame. I definitely am not wishing I was playing something else and do not get that shit at all.

I just wish this game was better and didn't have so many problems and had more shit coming in a reasonable amount of time. If they can fix the idiotic combat responsiveness and netcode issues and put in more stuff to do asap then it should be a game with some decent life in it.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
I don't think there is a single class in wow that I can automate with a simple key spammer script to the extent that I do in FF14. Just saying. That is something that hasn't been true since maybe as early as TBC.

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
Is there anyone with IT/Dev background that has some insight on the "combat responsiveness" Sean referred to above? I undertand FF14 has a longer GCD, but the sluggishness is probably going to be the reason I stop playing. WoW is pretty stale, no argument, but I cannot remember another MMO that had anywhere near the feel of WoW's combat. What are the major challenges to recreating the crisp, interactive feeling you get from WoW gameplay?

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
What are the major challenges to recreating the crisp, interactive feeling you get from WoW gameplay?
Dealing with animation delays, travel time delays, buff/debuff delays. Instituting an ability queue that works with instant casts off global cooldowns. There's a multitude of aspects that can be operating at 90% functionality but won't be crisp at <99%

dogbarf_sl

shitlord
The fact you played TERA for 7 months completely invalidates any opinion you have.
I literally cannot name 1 thing ff14 does better than TERA other than the music.

Both games have shit community.
Both have alright graphics.
Both games have a shit endgame. At least TERA let you kill people on the way up to minimize the boring quest grind.

FF14 on the other hand has the worst combat system of any mmo I've ever played. At least in eq you could be efficient with your mana, it wasnt a mindless skillspam. This game is literally spam a button every cooldown if you are dpsing, but without any thought or semblance of "skill" you might find in more modern mmo combat. I could literally pick up a class in this game and play it 95% efficiently as someone who has been maining the class for the past month.

I really tried to like this game but FF14 fails so hard on mechanics, gameplay and everything else. The worst part though is how easy it is to hack in this game, they have 0 anticheat you can download any generic speedhack for example and itl work perfectly.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
What? I'd say TERA's combat was easily the best there has ever been in a MMO. Every other action MMO has failed miserably, and the ones that try to be hybrids are even worse.

Sadly, the game built around it was shit though.

dogbarf_sl

shitlord
You could almost say it was Tera-able....
I agree that Tera was shit, but if you break it down what exactly does FF14 do better than TERA?

The awesome quest/fate system? (Nope this is just as shitty if not actually way shittier than any leveling system we've all seen before)
The amazing loot and item design?. (Oh wait none of the mobs in this game drop shit outside of crafting mats, how exciting! You are going to be wearing the same loot everyone else is wearing or will be wearing very soon)
The interesting game mechanics? (Mobs leash after 10 feet, preventing any sort of interesting leveling/AoE mechanics, powerful eq style spells like charm are of course non-existant)
The thrilling pvp combat? (Jk, they arent even going to try with that, but I don't blame them when the rest of the game is in the state it is in)
The challenging PVE content? ( These dungeons sure are hard/interesting! Some really sweet straight hallway layouts. What is really awesome is how I can't even go in and try to duo it with a friend to make it "semi challenging", nope gotta have a party of 4)
The Captivating world? (Real great sense of distance/danger when you can teleport anywhere in the world with a click of a button, nothing like standing in Ironforge waiting for a queue pop)
The community(Totally worth 10-15$ a month to play a shitty game with a bunch of "mature" players)
The crafting? (Lame)
The interesting Combat system? (LOL)

But at least the music's good right?

Ryanz

<Banned>
Saying TERA combat was terrible compared to FF? I guess the fanbois are weeding themselves out.

Saban_sl

shitlord
Instead of making stupid lists i generally let how long i play a game determine how much more i enjoy one than the other. I have played FF14 more this weekend than i ever managed to play Tera.

For me TERA was just another shit korean MMO with fancy graphics, but its all personal opinion.

dogbarf_sl

shitlord
It was a shit korean MMO with fancy graphics.

The problem is Final Fantasy is actually way fucking worse, people are just slower to realize it for some reason. People who support a shitty game because its "Final Fantasy" or its made by blizzard are a big reason why this genre has gotten so shitty. Glad you are having fun though! Still waiting for people to tell me whats good about this game!

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Enjoyed TERA. Enjoying FFXIV. Also enjoying your salty tears.

If you don't like the game, don't play it.

Vittra

Bronze Knight of the Realm
What's good about the game is they put a WoW face on FFXI, it's all we really wanted. But XI was more of a 'long haul' game instead of this