Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Vilgan_sl

shitlord
Things that FFXIV has done well:

1) Crafting. You need gear for crafting. It it more involved than the WoW 1-click method with some various interactions and luck and just overall a hell of a step up. It is basically what EQ2 wanted to be but failed at miserably.

2) Built to be playable on a console. PS3 culling issues aside, this game seems very well designed to be playable on a console. The targeting system, the longer GCD, the lack of 923480239482 skills, etc. I have no clue if this is the first one that works well on a console, but it is the first relevant one that I'm aware of. When it transitions to the PS4 it will be even better. I think the console focus is a smart play because when the "not the revolution I was dreaming about" PC ex-EQ ex-WoW ex-OtherShit crowd leaves in 30 to 90 days, they'll probably retain a fairly solid console playerbase because there isn't much competition there.

3) Look and feel is different enough from WoW that it will likely dodge some of the "feels just like WoW but x, y, and z are worse here than WoW" stuff.

4) Interesting boss fights/dungeons from basically lvl 30 on. Is the end game very fleshed out? Not from my understanding. The boss fights from 30 on seem pretty fun though and hopefully they'll have end game more figured out in a month or so when their target audience (aka not the people who have been 50 for a week) is 50 and looking for things to do.

5) Story seems pretty cool. Not Bioware cool, but a lot more to it than the usual bread crumb "exists only to move you to next quest hub" bullshit that has existed in WoW and most other non Bioware MMOs since the beginning of time.

The main metric tho is a personal one: Are you having fun? For me the answer to that is a definite yes, even though I'm not sure it makes sense. There isn't much new here, but the game is enjoyable and they'll probably get a sub out of me to the 90 day point which has only happened twice in the past decade (WoW and Eve). For others, the answer has been no.

Saban_sl

shitlord
Once they add filters for X targetting on PS3 Controller and fix culling priority it'll be a hell of a lot better on PS3.

Valos

Golden Knight of the Realm
Dogbarf, why is it anyone's job to convince YOU to play said game? And why is it your job to try to convince others to stop playing it? People will quit when they are no long having fun. For some that's earlier then others. Are you mad because you were having fun in another game and everyone bailed for this one? If you're done with a game, move on. There are tons of other quality games out there to play. Maybe your friends will eventually stop playing this game that you dont like, and play a game you do like again. Maybe you're destined to be forever alone now.

Vulg

Golden Knight of the Realm
Is there anyone with IT/Dev background that has some insight on the "combat responsiveness" Sean referred to above? I undertand FF14 has a longer GCD, but the sluggishness is probably going to be the reason I stop playing. WoW is pretty stale, no argument, but I cannot remember another MMO that had anywhere near the feel of WoW's combat. What are the major challenges to recreating the crisp, interactive feeling you get from WoW gameplay?
That was probably the single biggest reason I stopped playing SWTOR.

I understand that some would rather their game look pretty and have nice animations than a smoother combat experience, but I'm not in that camp.

My assumption regarding the long GCD is that it helps avoid some of the ridiculous clipping that you see in games like SWTOR, where developers seemed to forget that it didn't matter if you had a GCD of 1 or 1.5 seconds if your lightsaber sequence took longer than that to complete (or if your off-GCD didn't reliably fire during that time).

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Dogbarf, why is it anyone's job to convince YOU to play said game? And why is it your job to try to convince others to stop playing it? People will quit when they are no long having fun. For some that's earlier then others. Are you mad because you were having fun in another game and everyone bailed for this one? If you're done with a game, move on. There are tons of other quality games out there to play. Maybe your friends will eventually stop playing this game that you dont like, and play a game you do like again. Maybe you're destined to be forever alone now.
Funny is its just not him. This is a lot of gamers. People get upset if others are doing something they didn't like and try their hardest to either A, convince those how wrong they are or B, tell them to "convince me I'm wrong". It's retarded. Who cares what someone else plays, buys or does. At this point in the market there is stuff for almost everyone.

dogbarf_sl

shitlord
Funny is its just not him. This is a lot of gamers. People get upset if others are doing something they didn't like and try their hardest to either A, convince those how wrong they are or B, tell them to "convince me I'm wrong". It's retarded. Who cares what someone else plays, buys or does. At this point in the market there is stuff for almost everyone.
Why even have this thread ? Why not just post the patch notes instead and call it a day, I mean who cares about what someone else plays, buys or does.

Needless

Toe Sucker
This game is fun when you go at a slow pace, If you're poop socking an MMO these days, your digging your own grave for the game heh

Needless

Toe Sucker
Also, perhaps one of you nigglets that have like 3+ 50s should post a little guide of where the dense FATE grinding groups go for different level brackets or something in the sub forum

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
Also, perhaps one of you nigglets that have like 3+ 50s should post a little guide of where the dense FATE grinding groups go for different level brackets or something in the sub forum
it's there. page 2. useful guilde shit.

lbJPd7d.jpg

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
This game is fun when you go at a slow pace, If you're poop socking an MMO these days, your digging your own grave for the game heh
This... This... This. It really wasn't my intention to take it too slow as I wanted to keep up with the pack but life had other plans. My son's soccer season is still making up games. It has forced me to not get in a hurry and it has really made the game that much more enjoyable to me. I never really understood why people rush to the content and then complain about nothing to do. Note that there is an "and" there. If you rush through content and you understand the consequence then that's your business but I really think you are missing the beauty of this MMO. I know there is plenty to pick at but there is a lot to feel good about too.

Sean_sl

shitlord
The whole "Take your time" shit is complete nonsense and does not change the nature of the game what so ever. It changes nothing about how much content there is or isn't. It changes nothing about the absurd number of times you have to run one single dungeon over and over again. Running a single place 70 times over the course of months is not magically better than running it in the span of a week. That does not somehow make it less mind-numbingly awful to do so.

There is no "beauty" in taking it slow in this game. If anything, you miss out on exploiting opportunities. Didn't speedrun AK right away? Grats, it now takes you twice as long to get geared. Didn't craft immediately on launch? Grats, you missed out on being a multi-millionaire. Etc.

Taking it slow does not somehow extend the content. It just means you'll be paying extra money for shit other people did for free and will likely dealing with more nerfs and cockblocks.

Most retarded MMO argument ever.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Taking it slow means you don't burn out as quickly, Sean.

I know, I know. Deaf ears, right?

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The only part you could burn out on is the AK grind, but as Sean said the early people knocked that out before it became even worse. Now the only requirement is to keep up with the 300 myth tomes per week.

Sean_sl

shitlord
If the game is actually good and has life to it people won't burn out on it right away (see EQ, WoW, etc). Burn out only happens on bad shit and games with no longevity to them. Either the game has real staying power or it doesn't and how the head of the pack plays doesn't change anything about that.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Things that FFXIV has done well:

1) Crafting. You need gear for crafting. It it more involved than the WoW 1-click method with some various interactions and luck and just overall a hell of a step up. It is basically what EQ2 wanted to be but failed at miserably.

2) Built to be playable on a console. PS3 culling issues aside, this game seems very well designed to be playable on a console. The targeting system, the longer GCD, the lack of 923480239482 skills, etc. I have no clue if this is the first one that works well on a console, but it is the first relevant one that I'm aware of. When it transitions to the PS4 it will be even better. I think the console focus is a smart play because when the "not the revolution I was dreaming about" PC ex-EQ ex-WoW ex-OtherShit crowd leaves in 30 to 90 days, they'll probably retain a fairly solid console playerbase because there isn't much competition there.

3) Look and feel is different enough from WoW that it will likely dodge some of the "feels just like WoW but x, y, and z are worse here than WoW" stuff.

4) Interesting boss fights/dungeons from basically lvl 30 on. Is the end game very fleshed out? Not from my understanding. The boss fights from 30 on seem pretty fun though and hopefully they'll have end game more figured out in a month or so when their target audience (aka not the people who have been 50 for a week) is 50 and looking for things to do.

5) Story seems pretty cool. Not Bioware cool, but a lot more to it than the usual bread crumb "exists only to move you to next quest hub" bullshit that has existed in WoW and most other non Bioware MMOs since the beginning of time.

The main metric tho is a personal one: Are you having fun? For me the answer to that is a definite yes, even though I'm not sure it makes sense. There isn't much new here, but the game is enjoyable and they'll probably get a sub out of me to the 90 day point which has only happened twice in the past decade (WoW and Eve). For others, the answer has been no.
I think the only point I can agree on is probably 1. To me, this doesn't feel different enough from WoW. The combat is the same, with a global 2.5 GCD thrown in. The quests are by and large the same with the exception of a few. I don't think there is anything unique abut that dungeon/boss fights that I haven't seen before. You see, when this type of themepark MMO has existed for basically 10 years, there isn't going to be a whole lot that is different.

Now all that being said, I think most people will agree that all this was known going in. If you didn't then that's on you. There are things about it that are fun (like hunting logs/one character all classes/etc) and some that are not (Fates are just zerg -fests. At least Rifts in rift were a little more dynamic). What counts is if your having fun now and most are, at least for the first month. I'll be the first one shocked though if the majority of this thread hasn't moved on by say, end of November. I don't see SE churning out content ala Trion in the beginning with Rift and even that didn't save that game in the long run.