Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Meh, the game is OK, thats about it. To me its on par with SWTOR, to be honest. I see nothing special here that would keep me here long term. I hate the fucking 2.5GCD, I just cannot get over how slow the combat is in this game. I agree on the lacking end game shit too. And while im not there yet myself yet, I cant see myself doing 2 things at end game over and over and liking it. It seems like the same mmo 101 problem rearing its head after launch, NO FUCKING END GAME. Fans can say what they want, but thats the reality. No one is going to stick around a year before they add more meaty shit in. This is not 1999 and this being the only mmo in town. Poopsock or not, more and more of the masses are getting there now.

The only reason im going to stick around to see how fucked up this PvP will be. Honestly judging how everything is right now with classes class abilities, etc, I cant wait to see the trainwreck.

And the biggest things are not even mentioned in that interview, the shitty sync issues and the culling. Stroke my penis a bit at least and say you are looking into it. Fuck. At least in SWTOR, people complained about their abilities not firing off in time and they got right on it and at least tried to fix it.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
I mean is it so hard to ask that when you change passwords and add authentication to an account it would automatically boot all the characters on it?
This would benefit the scammers just as often as it would a legitimate user trying to regain control of his account. I actually was online when my World of Warcraft account was hacked, and they were able to vendor dozens of items and mail off my gold within 1-2 minutes despite the fact I had just been raiding at the time (I immediately thought it was just lag and tried to get back in). They then booted me out and changed my in-game password simultaneously to complete their process, I learned I was being hacked because I got an email saying my password was changed while I was still at the loading screen as I was about to view my half-naked character who was in the process of being stripped. By the time I changed my email password and then recovered my game password about 3 minutes later, my character was stripped completely dry.

If you're in the game and you get an email telling you your password has been changed, you could at least try to fix things yourself before they strip your character of any/every thing of value.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Meh, the game is OK, thats about it. To me its on par with SWTOR, to be honest. I see nothing special here that would keep me here long term. I hate the fucking 2.5GCD, I just cannot get over how slow the combat is in this game. I agree on the lacking end game shit too. And while im not there yet myself yet, I cant see myself doing 2 things at end game over and over and liking it. It seems like the same mmo 101 problem rearing its head after launch, NO FUCKING END GAME. Fans can say what they want, but thats the reality. No one is going to stick around a year before they add more meaty shit in. This is not 1999 and this being the only mmo in town. Poopsock or not, more and more of the masses are getting there now.

The only reason im going to stick around to see how fucked up this PvP will be. Honestly judging how everything is right now with classes class abilities, etc, I cant wait to see the trainwreck.

And the biggest things are not even mentioned in that interview, the shitty sync issues and the culling. Stroke my penis a bit at least and say you are looking into it. Fuck. At least in SWTOR, people complained about their abilities not firing off in time and they got right on it and at least tried to fix it.
Yeah, the technical issues this game has are just as bad, if not worse, than the lack of end game content. The abhorrently shitty combat responsiveness and worst-ever-netcode completely suck any fun and life out of the game to begin with. It will never, ever be a good game as long as that bullshit remains. And god, fuck animation-locks. I can't believe how fucking shitty their programming is.

PVP with how hilariously broken their game is on a technical level will be the most absurdly retarded cluster-fuck ever.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
PVP with how hilariously broken their game is on a technical level will be the most absurdly retarded cluster-fuck ever.
Yeah, Im actually giddy to see and experience this first hand. It shall be priceless. Worth a month subs every penny, lol.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Yeah, Im actually giddy to see and experience this first hand. It shall be priceless. Worth a month subs every penny, lol.
I can hear the vent rage now as people scream about how they swear their abilities went off but the game just went: NOPE FUCK YOU!

WhatsAmmataU_sl

shitlord

We are well aware of how you feel. You've made at least 5 whiney posts like this per day for 3 straight weeks.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Antarius, I was quoted without context - the original "step backwards" comment had nothing to do without the amount of content. When I spoke of raids, I was talking about comparing the quality of raids that existed at the time with what WoW came out with and, well, it's a fucking joke. Onyxia blew away anything we'd seen before in a MMO, wheras FF14 gives us nothing we haven't already seen and could have been copy/pasted from any other game. Any comparison is laughably unfair because WoW actually created most of the mechanics we see repeated here.

For fucks sake, you compare WoW's launch with planes of power in quantity of end-game content when POP was an entire expansion WITH NOTHING BUT END GAME CONTENT. Fucking duh? Are we comparing FF14 launch with MOP? Fuck no. A more fair comparison would be Rift, or TSW, or TOR, all of which were wise enough to launch with more than one goddamn dungeon.

As for everything else, I can sum it up quite succinctly:Expectations have changed.WoW was a long fucking time ago, how about you take a look at games that learned from WoW and what they launched with.

Faddor_sl

shitlord
I'm not defending the lack of things to do at 50, but it's hardly a "step backwards", WoW isn't a very good example to use, IT was a step backwards from Everquest circa 2005-06 Planes of Power or even before in either Kunark or Velious... IN THAT ONE TINY ASPECT ie: "Things to do at max level", and has WoW has ALWAYS run out of shit to do at max level for all but the most casual of casual players. For most of it's history, WoW would release about 1 encounter a month.

In WoW, you were "lucky" if you got a new encounter once a month.
ToTC: August 4, 2009
Bosses: 5
ICC: Release date December 9, 2009
Bosses: 12
Cataclysm: November 16th 2010

On top of my previous examples of Molten Core and Onyxia being "it" for 10 months, and stupid shit like 25 people going to UBRS 50 times to key up enough people for a 40 man raid for onyxia back when it was 1 blood per clear.

Is it a step forward? Is it better than WoW? No... but is it worse? Please explain to me how FFXIV is a step backwards in terms of end-game content from WoW? Because I don't see it. Hell... the LAST "big game" that launched, SWTOR, was a MILLION times worse in terms of content to do at max. And it was especially bad because they "PROMISED" a new planet every month... and so after 5 months, when the first new planet is released... and it was ONLY 15 bear-ass type quests, and no continuation of the storyline... THEN you have a right to be pissed.

Faddor, you're obviously trolling, I'm just going to play devil's advocate here a minute: A) Culling to prevent 1fps gameplay or a hard system lock in crowded cities, not forseen that it would affect pve content to the extent it has B) Server locks because fuck WoW's Arthas vs dead server problem during the Cataclysm era. C) 2.5 Second GCD because it makes it easier to have time to pull triggers on a gamepad, and combats the trend of the latest MMOs to be more about action gameplay and less about social gameplay. With a 2.5 sec GCD I can actually type to people while I'm playing the game.
You're massively full of shit, and one of the whitest of the white knights here. All that shit you just defended is bullshit shortcut fixes for serious problems which should never have existed.

The quality of everything you are comparing to WoW is worse in FFXIV, they had 2 fucking development cycles and two releases, and it's still worse.

You are one dumb piece of shit if you think "It's not WORSE than WOW! (10 years and two development cycles later!)" is an acceptable defense.

By the way, playing devil's advocate works better when you don't base your arguments on straw men fallacies. The idea that you can't have enough servers without "OMG GHOST TOWN! HOW EVER DO WE MOVE CHARACTERS BETWEEN SERVERS???" is fucking bullshit. 2.5s to pull triggers on a gamepad? Jesus fucking Christ. I wonder how they ever got DDR, Guitar Hero and Parappa the Rapper to work. That 2.5s delay must be FUCKING ROUGH!

What do you want, an even bigger list of dumb fucking decisions?

1. Culling.
2. Server creation locks.
3. No AFK timer.
4. Non working queue - need AHK to login.
5. Account site problems - SE flagging CD Keys to wrong accounts, forcing about 5 registrations to play.
6. Error 9xxxx.
7. Error 1xxx.
8. Fucked up inventory with no sorting and too much shit to carry.
9. Terrible communication.
10. Failing to provide enough content for one release, let alone two.
11. FFXIV 1.0.
12. Deleting support service tickets without responding.
13. Hanging up on phone support callers/locking out chat support queue.
14. Open policy of refusing refunds even for non-functional product.
15. No way to right-click ignore.
16. Must wait in dungeon queue even for a premade.
17. Force story quest advancement to require instance server, aggravating #16.
18. 2.5s GCD.
19. Terrible battle responsiveness - bad markings for floor effects, late notifications on AOE shit.
20. Netcode.
21. Animations lock, etc.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah, the technical issues this game has are just as bad, if not worse, than the lack of end game content. The abhorrently shitty combat responsiveness and worst-ever-netcode completely suck any fun and life out of the game to begin with. It will never, ever be a good game as long as that bullshit remains. And god, fuck animation-locks. I can't believe how fucking shitty their programming is.

Exactly, it was broken in SWTOR at launch too, because some artist and/or programmer made a poor decision to sync combat to the animation. It seems logical, but it is definitely a problem that can be fixed, not something completely game breaking. The syncing plagued WoW as well, can't really call it "the worst netcode ever, it actually does a pretty good job at player prediction, just need to trust the clients a little bit more in terms of server vs client positioning, I'd think it was mostly that way to cut down on speed hacking, and can be tweaked, and/or just upped the time players have to move out of effects before they go off, the culling isn't really a technical problem so much as a poorly thought out decision with good intentions, much like the animation locks.

And I do believe Shadowbane wins the lifetime achievement award for worst pvp experience due to technical game faults... SWTOR huttball was actually pretty fun, not that arenas are "real" pvp to me, but then again, nothing really compares to Sullon Zek outside of Eve.

In shadowbane, players crashed the servers just to win fights, I think thats a much better definition of a clusterfuck.

Sean_sl

shitlord
The 2.5s gcd for gamepad functionality line of thought is nonsense and anyone who believes that is an idiot who has never played something like DMC or Bayonetta or Fighting Games where people count Frames on a console. That shit requires faster reaction times than any MMO ever has. Seriously, *you are a moron* if you believe that is the reason for it.

It's 100% a intentional design and pacing decision, potentially influenced by howgod awfultheir programmers are.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Antarius, I was quoted without context - the original "step backwards" comment with regards to raiding was about the quality. Compare the quality of raids that existed at the time with what WoW came out with and, well, it's a fucking joke. Onyxia blew away anything we'd seen before in a MMO, wheras FF14 gives us nothing we haven't already seen and could have been copy/pasted from any other game.

As for everything else, I can sum it up quite succinctly:Expectations have changed.
Oh sure, quality... yes, I agree 100%... but quantity... meh, As long as they're anywhere between Everquest's 1 expansion every 6 months and WoW's 1 expansion every 2 years, I'll be alright. But I think it's too soon to complain about "quantity" of content.

Faddor_sl

shitlord
Antarius, just go cash your fucking check from SE's marketing department already.

You've already earned it. You can shut up.

PS - It's OK to like a game that sucks. We really don't care. You really don't need to try to convince everyone that an objectively poor-to-mediocre game is good.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
2.5 seconds is a fair amount of time to type on a keyboard and play with a gamepad at the same time. I think it would be difficult to do with anything faster. But I guess that makes me a moron. I can get out a word or two in between presses and have not sacrificed any gameplay or my ability rotation.

If the GCD was faster than 2.5 seconds I would not be able to type and play with a gamepad at the same time. I don't need to chat in DMC or God of War. I'm pretty good with a controller, even fairly comfortable with FPS and I beat dark souls without punching any holes in a wall. But it's different when you have to take your hands off the pad to start talking... And I wouldn't want to play an MMO that doesn't allow me to communicate during the game.

Faddor_sl

shitlord
2.5 seconds is a fair amount of time to type on a keyboard and play with a gamepad at the same time. I think it would be difficult to do with anything faster. But I guess that makes me a moron. I can get out a word or two in between presses and have not sacrificed any gameplay or my ability rotation.

If the GCD was faster than 2.5 seconds I would not be able to type and play with a gamepad at the same time. I don't need to chat in DMC or God of War. I'm pretty good with a controller, even fairly comfortable with FPS and I beat dark souls without punching any holes in a wall. But it's different when you have to take your hands off the pad to start talking... And I wouldn't want to play an MMO that doesn't allow me to communicate during the game.
So, essentially you think the combat responsiveness and feel of the entire combat system should be drastically reduced in quality (and PVP made all but impossible) to accommodate your desire to communicate while playing, and your refusal to use the multitude of free voice options at your disposal to do so?

As trite as this is, come on bro - that reasoning is super fucking fail.

If you are so desperate to have your chat room, there are a lot of other (better) ways to achieve a slower pace of combat. Not that I thought any of these through fully, but cast times (especially if you can move during), and the queuing system from EQ2's hot-buttons could probably have helped your issue without making the combat dogshit. There are also a lot more options I'd like to suggest, and I only know of some of them being done, but they don't really belong here - such as DoTs having essentially infinite duration (or may even auto target in a radius), most buffs having infinite duration (buff concentration from EQ2 was a good start), etc. You can remove (meaningless) button presses from combat without making it feel like you're playing Virtua Fighter on the Sega Saturn again.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
The first video was just lag. The 2nd video was caused by him using an instant-cast ability while inside the aoe, animation-locking him to that position until the animation completes....

I already acknowledged that's a pretty serious problem with the game, but I'm pretty confident the'll be able to fix it and isn't what I'd call "game breaking"

2.5 seconds is so boring and dull... but at the same time want to complain when sub-1 second reaction required actions don't work out very well because "internet".

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
So, essentially you think the combat responsiveness and feel of the entire combat system should be drastically reduced in quality (and PVP made all but impossible) to accommodate your desire to communicate while playing, and your refusal to use the multitude of free voice options at your disposal to do so?

As trite as this is, come on bro - that reasoning is super fucking fail.

If you are so desperate to have your fucking chat room, there are a lot of other (better) ways to achieve a slower pace of combat. Not that I thought any of these through fully, but cast times (especially if you can move during), and the queuing system from EQ2's hot-buttons could probably have helped your issue without making the combat dogshit.
How is a 2.5 second cast time that you can cast while moving ANY different from an instant ability with a 2.5second GCD.

Yes, Queuing would help. But while you're coming up with ideas, please tell me about the multitude of free voice options I can use on the PS3?