Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Sure, but XI has been a cash cow for a while, and 12, 13, and 13-2, all sold decently, I'm willing to bet they're doing just fine financially even if they aren't doing blizzard's numbers.
So is swtor now. They have a stable community and releasing content. And if they do the space expansion as they hinted, and do it right, it will only grow. Im with Toxx on this one. Could not even reach 50. The prospect of doing 1 more level of fates for exp made me throw up a little in my mouth. And from what im hearing im not missing much at 50 either. Have not logged in a week and have not felt the urge to.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
So is swtor now. They have a stable community and releasing content. And if they do the space expansion as they hinted, and do it right, it will only grow. Im with Toxx on this one. Could not even reach 50. The prospect of doing 1 more level of fates for exp made me throw up a little in my mouth. And from what im hearing im not missing much at 50 either. Have not logged in a week and have not felt the urge to.
What class were you fucking playing? There was one time you had to grind more than 1 level in fates to follow the story quest to a new quest hub. You had to do story to 46, quest to 47, then grind 47 to 49, quest to 50.

Mazim

Golden Knight of the Realm
Anyone who thinks SE has not made anything but mad profit on this game has no clue what they are talking about. Also if you think they spent more money developing this game than a game from scratch you also have no idea what you talking about.

SE has never and will most likely never be in a financial crisis. For those of you who don't know SE is owned by the Enix founder, squaresoft founder and by sony/namco for all intents and purposes.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Anyone who thinks SE has not made anything but mad profit on this game has no clue what they are talking about. Also if you think they spent more money developing this game than a game from scratch you also have no idea what you talking about.

SE has never and will most likely never be in a financial crisis. For those of you who don't know SE is owned by the Enix founder, squaresoft founder and by sony/namco for all intents and purposes.
Where you been bro, Enix dude is OUT!

Ian Livingstone resigns as 'life president' of Square Enix | Joystiq

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yea, I'm confused as AO, I didn't grind fates at all on my way to my first 50, I mean, I did fates in highlands for about an hour because I wanted the svara achievement and maybe 90 minutes for Cancer vanity pet, but that's hardly "grinding". I was 47 when I did my level 46 story quest, and it dinged me to 48, I ended up just running 2 dungeons with my girlfriend as opposed to fate grinding. I guess arcanists probably have about 150k more worth of story quests thanks to the 2nd job, but I don't think that it made a ginormous difference.

I think fate grinding on your first class would be idiotic, you'd miss out on quest rewards, also lose money and have no gear, you also wouldn't even be getting the 50% bonus (which doesn't apply to quests, so quests which you have to do to unlock raids, wouldn't be giving you bonus xp on a second class.

Guzrog

<Gold Donor>
People choose to FATE grind then bitch they are burnt out on it. I cannot blame the player base for taking the path of least resistance zerg/most XP wise but damn. The blame falls fully on SE for not tuning them as I'm sure they're intended (which isn't the way it is now.) However to grind FATES over and over then bitch about them, that's on the player as well. They should buff dungeon XP which I'm sure has been rehashed ad nauseum.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
No point grinding FATEs on your first class/job - faster to do all the sidequests for money (which you really need), story quests, and running each dungeon once or twice.

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
Buffing dungeon xp so that it becomes the fastest way to level just moves the bitching from Fates to Dungeons, it's the players (as you've stated) that are the problem.

Jaybee

Silver Knight of the Realm
Well you're right that there's someone in this thread that has no idea what they're talking about.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Buffing dungeon xp so that it becomes the fastest way to level just moves the bitching from Fates to Dungeons, it's the players (as you've stated) that are the problem.
Yeah its clearly my problem that this game gets boring as all shit. Come on bro.

Anyway, enjoy. Not trying to take anything away from you guys or rustling, just stating my opinion..

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
What, you don't think 50 mil in box sales (at least 10 mil from 1.0) paid a few salaries? Yes, I'm sure they're in the red right now, but it's not like they went overboard on their server architecture, pretty obvious they pinched pennies wherever they could. So yes, the game was in development for 7 years, that's still less than Titan, and they actually have a product to show for it instead of 30-150 people salaries for years with nothing to show for it.

Edit: 7 years if you count all of 1.0 development with 2.0, even if 2.0 really didn't even begin development until not that long ago...

Sean_sl

shitlord

Clearly someone doesn't remember the Spirits Within bailout and Square almost destroying themselves. Square is good at fucking up and wasting the hell out of money and merging with Enix didn't change anything about their ability to go Full Retard.

InterSlayer_sl

shitlord
Dunno why some of you guys insist on doing fates until you burn out. Do the side quests, it's good money you will need at 50.

If you're playing at a good pace, the game story/mode or Grand Company rank ups usually require you to do a dungeon, which is a good way to break up any monotonous fate/quest grinding.

But meh, if that new game smell wears off not much anyone can do about it usually. Happens to everyone sooner or later.

Vittra

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Still having a lot of fun, I play a couple hours a night and haven't come close to burning myself out. Last night kinda sucked though because on my server there was crazy lag. In every zone and duty finder. Doing AK with people pausing for 5 seconds kinda blows, weren't even able to finish it.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Still having fun in this game. Turn 2 in Coil tomorrow night, and I'm looking forward to it, even though it means an evening of death for me. Meh!

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Yeah its clearly my problem that this game gets boring as all shit. Come on bro.

Anyway, enjoy. Not trying to take anything away from you guys or rustling, just stating my opinion..
Mine was more of a serious question... did you just grind fates and then go back and do the storyline quests? I did so little fate grinding leveling up I can't see how you'd be burned out on fate grinding on your first class.

Needless

Toe Sucker
As slow as the 2.5 GCD is, it's kind of nice after going back and trying out 5.4 on a rogue... the amount of mashing you do in WoW is pretty fucking ridiculous lol

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
As slow as the 2.5 GCD is, it's kind of nice after going back and trying out 5.4 on a rogue... the amount of mashing you do in WoW is pretty fucking ridiculous lol
So far my gripe with the long GCD is sometimes a mob will break threat right after you finish a threat cycle. That means you now need to wait for the GCD and reapply the entire thing. I believe this changes when I get a proper taunt that is free from GCD restrictions. But now it is kind of annoying.

Needless

Toe Sucker
So far my gripe with the long GCD is sometimes a mob will break threat right after you finish a threat cycle. That means you now need to wait for the GCD and reapply the entire thing. I believe this changes when I get a proper taunt that is free from GCD restrictions. But now it is kind of annoying.
Yeah.. in terms of tanking and healing, i'm not very fond of the long GCD. There were points in dungeons as a WHM that i would cast esuna on somebody only to have the tank take a huge spike, yet i'm locked out for 2.5 seconds(more with latency heh?)

And as a paladin, the same thing you mentioned.

spronk

FPS noob
there's an even dumber bug/design with threat, if someone rips aggro the mob has to cast an attack animation before it will switch targets, no matter how much threat build up there is in the interim. This has led to some hilarious exploits, like people moving to spots that bosses cannot reach or ping ponging aggro so the mob never actually hits anything. You can see this easily on fights like Ifrit or Titan where a boss will run halfway across the room, run a scripted AOE attack, and then run back to the tank (and usually repeat at that point since the tank isn't in melee range to build threat).

The secret to the asian gil farmers is not really botting, they are forming 4 man DPS teams and teleport hacking through AK, sitting in spots that bosses cannot reach them and clearing AK in under 10 minutes and selling tome items. Which fucks everyone up, since more and more of them are taking up the tiny amount of AK instances allowed.

So be real careful of who you buy tome items from since if they continue with their past ban practices, you may get a ban just for buying stuff from a teleport hacker.