Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

InterSlayer_sl

shitlord
The secret to the asian gil farmers is not really botting, they are forming 4 man DPS teams and teleport hacking through AK, sitting in spots that bosses cannot reach them and clearing AK in under 10 minutes and selling tome items. Which fucks everyone up, since more and more of them are taking up the tiny amount of AK instances allowed.

So be real careful of who you buy tome items from since if they continue with their past ban practices, you may get a ban just for buying stuff from a teleport hacker.
Hah I remember this being a problem when Dire Maul released on WoW. All the gold farmers speedhacked to the chests constantly messing up with the instance servers across the whole game.

This actually makes a lot of sense now with the AK wait times, instance lag, etc. If I'm not mistaken Blizzard ended up just nerfing the hell out of chest loot and putting in place instance caps per character.

Grizzlebeard_sl

shitlord
Feels like it's going to be a long, slow grind from a newly dinged 48 to 49 so I can resume the storyline quest. I was only halfway through 47 when I finished the last one but I'd left exploration exp for any unexpected dips in quest chains and at 21.5k a zone that really helped a bunch. A friend who played this since the initial launch who has all classes at 50 (urgh) claims you can do 47-50 in 4 hours grinding Fates in the Processing Plant so I'll probably just cheese it there for a level till about halfway through 49.

spronk

FPS noob
leveling is trivial in this game, you just fate grind in a few zones. don't bother at all with story quests or class quests, just level as your class with level 1 gear (at 45 equip a full set of crafted/vendor gear and convert every time its 100% spiritbound for extra gil). Then at 49 go back and do your entire story and class quest. Its a dumb way to level but the most efficient, since the story/class quests has you wasting a lot of time running around all over the damn place and you don't need anything other than flash (glad x-class) and a single attack spell to gold every fate, in a group. Of course your first class you gotta story 1-20 to unlock airships and mounts, but after that its just grind fates and do quests in between fates (for gil, always choose gil). You can do all the quests you missed/skipped while waiting for fate respawns.

1-12: any of the starting zone fate grind
12 - 20: aleport
20 - 25: hawthorne hut
25 - 30: quarrymill
30 - 34: costa del sol
34 - 40: coerthas
40 - 50: n thal (esp when DD is spawning, ~1 hour respawn) and mor dhana when n than is too crowded

Column_sl

shitlord
I just canceled my 6 month membership today, because Ive lost faith.

But if anyone is subbing you should go for the 6 month deal. They give you a shitload of VP goods immediately, and all your characters get 1-50 quests lines making leveling alts even more trivial.

The 6 month, I believe makes your monthly 12 bucks a month

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Have they put up the 6 month rewards on their site ? Last I looked they only had up to 90 day rewards shown and 6 month was listed as "coming in 2.1"

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
leveling is trivial in this game, you just fate grind in a few zones. don't bother at all with story quests or class quests, just level as your class with level 1 gear (at 45 equip a full set of crafted/vendor gear and convert every time its 100% spiritbound for extra gil). Then at 49 go back and do your entire story and class quest. Its a dumb way to level but the most efficient, since the story/class quests has you wasting a lot of time running around all over the damn place and you don't need anything other than flash (glad x-class) and a single attack spell to gold every fate, in a group. Of course your first class you gotta story 1-20 to unlock airships and mounts, but after that its just grind fates and do quests in between fates (for gil, always choose gil). You can do all the quests you missed/skipped while waiting for fate respawns.

1-12: any of the starting zone fate grind
12 - 20: aleport
20 - 25: hawthorne hut
25 - 30: quarrymill
30 - 34: costa del sol
34 - 40: coerthas
40 - 50: n thal (esp when DD is spawning, ~1 hour respawn) and mor dhana when n than is too crowded
That's awful advice for a first character, you gain shit for money, shit for gear, you don't see most of the game and it's boring as all fuck. Leveling with quests is almost as fast, close enough that it doesn't matter and if you're starting now obviously you're not concerned about racing people to 50. What's the point when you have to go back and do everything at the end anyway? It's not like the storyquests don't ask you to travel around anymore, and you don't unlock all teleport locations from being 50 either, nor do you run out of money if you teleport everywhere as you level up. Also you need to do a bunch of dungeons, you want to start queueing for these asap so you can complete them as you level.

It's also the best way to burn out instantly and quit before you even reach 50. Sure the quests can be tedious at times but FATE grinding is worse after you've spent one level in a zone, and you need to do like 5-6 in most.

ZProtoss

Golden Squire
I just canceled my 6 month membership today, because Ive lost faith.

But if anyone is subbing you should go for the 6 month deal. They give you a shitload of VP goods immediately, and all your characters get 1-50 quests lines making leveling alts even more trivial.

The 6 month, I believe makes your monthly 12 bucks a month
Subscribing gives extra quests? What?

Column_sl

shitlord
Not extra quests. Its just quest lines for every character including sub jobs.
Supposed to aid you leveling up to 50 when all your quests are gone.

I'm not sure if thats in yet, or a feature that will be added with the patch.

Its a reward for subbing for 3 months I believe, but I could be wrong on that.
I know allot of people were talking about that when I was playing in game.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I didn't resub because I just got bored after a while. There is nothing really that different here than WoW and that type of gameplay only carries me a month before I just get bored. I've been playing these themepark type of MMO's for so long that if there isn't anything unique that really makes it different in some way, it just doesn't last long.

Did have fun for the time I put in it though. It was worth the $22.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
@the people unsubbing. If they added additional end game content would you come back or did you feel burnt out of the game in general?

Bruman

Golden Squire
Honestly, the most enjoyable part of the game was running each dungeon the first time and the main storyline. Adding more stuff to grind over and over to get more +1 Death of Dying Thing wouldn't fix that. I mean, I've done the endgame grind in MMOs before, I know what it is, it's just not that appealing to me anymore. I was sick of CM and AK, and even when running with friends, it was no longer enough. I didn't get to Coil, because it wasn't enticing enough to do the other grinds.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
There needs to be more 4 man content and more 8 man content besides tome farming. There needs to be more than just doing BC and hoping to get the ilevel 90 drop that you need. Even the most modern hardcore raiders need some sort of side activity that isn't "make more gil" which is all crafting and gathering add up right now. Linear vertical progress with no options plus no horizontal diversions is the best I can describe it currently, but since we have 19 classes it will take time to cap that to get ready for whatever comes next. But everyone who's only doing one combat to 50 will burn out in the first month.

Valos

Golden Knight of the Realm
I am hoping the Gold Saucer patch will be alot of fun mini-games. I am also hoping that patch comes in less then 6 months time.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Whether you've quit already or not, I think pretty much 100% of us agree that it was worth the 22$ for the playthrough.

A buddy of mine at work mentioned that he went from summoner to warrior tank for the guild. Man, it really is an unforgiving game when it comes to switching jobs like that. Can you imagine grinding out all those tomes again? o_O

/NOPE

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Invite him to the free company for a second and say he's a warrior and let everyone berate him to reroll again