Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Chris

Potato del Grande
I was confused when they said the new beast tribe race has been in Final Fantasy before.

Turns out it's the Shupuff guys from FFX lol. Hope it's a FFX themed expansion.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Maybe silly question, with this new expansion, will new/returning players be required to do all that story quest line?

For our folks we have two groups of people, those who resub to simply play through the storyline because they love it and could care less about the MMO elements..

the others find the story questline to be very overwhelming and time consuming so it’s something they don’t to fool with…

Curious if you’ll need to get storyskips or tough it out. I can take it or leave it but I think it’s well done. If I need to progress my character I’ll need to sub a little earlier prior to the expansion.

Magimaster

Trakanon Raider
Maybe silly question, with this new expansion, will new/returning players be required to do all that story quest line?

For our folks we have two groups of people, those who resub to simply play through the storyline because they love it and could care less about the MMO elements..

the others find the story questline to be very overwhelming and time consuming so it’s something they don’t to fool with…

Curious if you’ll need to get storyskips or tough it out. I can take it or leave it but I think it’s well done. If I need to progress my character I’ll need to sub a little earlier prior to the expansion.

Yes, you will have to be caught up on the Main Story Quest to move forward into the next expansion. There should be a Storyskip available if you choose to do that.

• 1Like

Magimaster

Trakanon Raider
  • Graphics upgrade predominantly focusing on shadows, grass, and textures
    • Will be some minor updates to character appearances e.g. better eye and skin quality, but they wanted to be conservative with these changes because they are aware that many people have a "picture" of their Warrior of Light that they don't want to change.
    • Upgrade is not significantly more taxing to the system; PS4 will still be supported for now, though likely its last expac
  • Story is lighter and softer thematically; yellow/gold theme color like Persona 4; "giving the Warrior of Light the best summer vacation ever" per Yoshi. Central theme is "discovery."
  • New area is the New World, which is a North/South America analog. We are focusing on the Central/South America part. Aztec, Inca, Amazon, and Patagonia influences to areas based on what I can see.
    • Map does contain "fog of war" areas for Meracydia and the "North American" part of the New World, implying we might perhaps go there either as the level 99-100 area or in 8.0
  • Major story thrusts will be determining a successor for a Mamool Ja ruler in the New World and finding a lost city of gold
  • Scions will split into two presumably friendly rival factions to search for the city
    • Erenville (black Viera Sharlayan Seeker guy) seemingly promoted to main cast at least for this expansion
  • New BeastTribe group (Pelupelu) are traders who have coffee, mezcal, etc.
    • Ze Shoopuff guys from FF10, thanks Chris Chris
  • Gear now has two dye gradients
  • Glasses are added as a cosmetic-only (i.e. no stat) gear slot
  • Two new classes, melee DPS and caster DPS; identity not confirmed.
    • Leading contenders for melee seem to be Corsair and Sword Saint.
    • Leading contenders for caster are green mage and a Relm-style Sketch/artist mage.
    • Yoshi's t-shirt is always a hint; it was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
  • New Gold Saucer attraction
    • NOT BLITZBALL per Yoshi
    • Collaboration with Fall Guys, basically "Ultimate Ninja Warrior" esque obstacle course
      • 24 man instance like Chocobo Racing
  • "Strategy Board" UI to help plan complex raid mechanics
  • Game is being added to Sexbox and Square-Enix is signing a longer-term deal with M$ to bring more games over
  • New unspecified "lifestyle system" which they are being vague about but sounds like an extension of Island Sanctuary
  • Housing furnishing limit is being increased and is slated for sometime during the expansion cycle but not 7.0; server team still evaluating how much it will tax things
  • Deep Dungeons are "being considered" but team is 50/50 on doing another vs trying another battle system
  • Free trial extended to Stormblood and will now include Ultimate difficulty raids
  • Usual stuff like new 24m, new 8m.

Looks pretty good to me so far, it will be a nice to have a bit lighter story to jump into; this way they don't run into serial escalation after Endwalker.

Curious as to the fact that the northern half of the New World is shrouded; I feel like it would be tough to fit all 6 new zones in the bottom half. Might be saving that for next Fanfest for that reveal like Stormblood did with Othard. Plus the 3 zones shown didn't show any hint of the Golden Cities and my guess is that there's more to that than just at face value, which could lead into the next step in the storyline.

Personally, my guess for the next classes are Corsair and Green Mage/Geomancer, with Krile being the showcase for the new caster job. The sword the WoL has looks like more of a Short Sword and traditionally Sword Saint / Rune Fencer / Spellblade used 2 handed swords and they either used heavy armor or had distinctive armor that did not match what the WoL had.

As for the caster, they could go for an Artist style job, but that is definitely uncharted territory as Relm's Sketch was basically just using 1 of the mobs attacks against itself, so not sure how that would work in the current battle system. Going for Green Mage / Geomancer would allow for a Support caster and that might be a nice change of pace rather than dumping all support on healers or the phys ranged.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Man I would rate that trailer under Stormbloods in terms of engagement.

I just don't feel the excitement, not in the same manner as Heavensward, Shadowbringer and Endwalker's trailers.

Should be noted, it's just the teaser trailer. They will have a longer version of the trailer and a launch trailer closer to the expansion eventually. They never really show too much in the initial teaser.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cybsled

EU will get a bit more trailer, then JP will get the final trailer. I also expect the trailer song to change somewhat. That has been pretty typical for Fanfests. EU will probably get the first job reveal and JP will get the 2nd.

During the cinematic, you see the WoL's robe covering catch fire. I'm sure the reveal will be them throwing it off and confirming one of the new jobs. Then in the full cinematic, they'll probably have a completely different scene that shows the 2nd job.

As for who the 2nd job gets demonstrated by, it probably is going to depend on what they choose as the magic DPS. If they go painter/pictomancer, then I suspect a main or known character will demonstrate it. So Krile perhaps. If they go green mage or geomancer, then I suspect it will be like the dancer reveal in ShB: Some random inhabitant of the New World. Reason I say that is during the presentation, they talked a lot about the cities/towns there being very nature focused

• 1Like

Cybsled

Ya, they got Lizard men, tiny people, giants, and...

Oh god, it's Kunark

• 6Worf
  • 4Weird Boner
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 10 users

Daidraco

Ya, they got Lizard men, tiny people, giants, and...

Oh god, it's Kunark
At first, I got a real Monster Hunter type of vibe. Which wouldnt surprise me at all if they tried to capitalize on that audience and have cross over event or two. Then, something struck me out of no where that its the devs shitting on Blizzard and redoing BFA how it "should" have been done.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
It is funny that Yoshi-P's shirt basically covers both options for a new class with TNMT being named after artists(so could be that art based caster class similar to Relm) but also is potentially a reference to Tortuga(turtle in spanish) which was an island that was the major den of piracy in the Carribeans back then.

Personally I'm leaning more towards Corsair, the WoL in the video looks like he's doing a melee class, and Corsair makes a lot of sense in the setting of the expansion. Can easily see whip out a pistol from under his cloak to shoot the boss with during that fight, and it'd also kinda fit his new "ship captain" look stuff.

For the caster could still be an artist based caster but yeah could also be geomancer/green mage since both would fit decently in the theme of the expansion too. Krile being notoriously absent from the trailer would likely hint at her being the class change, although it could just be that she has to stay behind for "reasons", but seems weird she wouldn't go there being a researcher and all(maybe replaced by other sharlayan guy for this expansion?).

Anyway overall I can see ppl being disappointed by the trailer in terms of hype cause there's not much in terms of stakes with the main story being over, but I really liked the style of it personally and I think it'll be pretty nice there. Also as mentionned the trailers get more interesting as you go since they get longer and show more stuff. You can check teaser trailer for past expansions and a lot are pretty vague, with the hype only being what you thought was gonna happen based on current story rather than what was shown, until the later trailers. Disappointed they didn't drop PS4 though as I think they'd have been able to do bigger more populated areas without PS4 clogging it up.

Malakriss

6.5 - Early October
6.51 - Late October
6.55 - January
FF7 Rebirth - Early 2024
7.0 - Summer 2024

Cybsled

If you look at the patch drop dates for 6.5 and 6.55, they are right around the EU and JP fanfests. So I suspect the trailer will start to show certain characters once we know their fates, like Zero or Vitra.

Merrith

Seems like they're going to have a slightly longer gap in the patch cycle between the .5, .55, and expansion drop, but I assume that's just to give a little more time and to not overlap with Rebirth.

Juvarisx

Florida
FoH guild still goin? what server was that? Gettin the itch again and not having played Endwalker yet despite having bought it pre release

Last edited:

Chris

Potato del Grande
FoH guild still goin? what server was that? Gettin the itch again and having played Endwalker yet despite having bought it pre release
It was last patch, don't see why it would be gone.

Chysamere bought us a house.

Juvarisx

Florida
It was last patch, don't see why it would be gone.

Chysamere bought us a house.

Awesome what server was that. Last time I played it was accidently during the time all the streamers got into it and I couldnt swap servers. Can't remember the server name now and I didnt know anyone where I was

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Think I’m going to have to fire this back up and get up to speed with the MSQ. Would be stoked if they added Cor.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
Awesome what server was that. Last time I played it was accidently during the time all the streamers got into it and I couldnt swap servers. Can't remember the server name now and I didnt know anyone where I was
Gilgamesh

• 1Like