Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Chris

Potato del Grande
You have to level two jobs when you start the game too, being lv55 in an area way below that isn't good.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Just finished the 6.5 MSQ the other day.

Question to Chris Chris or other loLore people.

I was under the impression that the "aetherial river / sea" was basically a place where your aether went and basically unraveled into the vastness of oblivion. The 12 storyline makes it sound like things are still sentient there.

Prior to 6.5 I was under the impression that MOST death = a return to the aetherial sea where "YOU" stop existing as a sentient being. The ONE exception to this being the Aitiascope where you delve into a branch of the Motherstone where remnant memories still exist. If I remember correctly, those beings you fight there are NOT the actual people but aether coalesced from strong memories.

If I'm wrong and you do maintain sentience in the aetherial sea / river, what is the point of death but a pause button?

If you do maintain sentience, then the most fucked person in all of history is Zenos because that bitch died at the end of all things outside of the influence of the sea, or so they said...

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Just finished the 6.5 MSQ the other day.

Question to Chris Chris or other loLore people.

I was under the impression that the "aetherial river / sea" was basically a place where your aether went and basically unraveled into the vastness of oblivion. The 12 storyline makes it sound like things are still sentient there.

Prior to 6.5 I was under the impression that MOST death = a return to the aetherial sea where "YOU" stop existing as a sentient being. The ONE exception to this being the Aitiascope where you delve into a branch of the Motherstone where remnant memories still exist. If I remember correctly, those beings you fight there are NOT the actual people but aether coalesced from strong memories.

If I'm wrong and you do maintain sentience in the aetherial sea / river, what is the point of death but a pause button?

If you do maintain sentience, then the most fucked person in all of history is Zenos because that bitch died at the end of all things outside of the influence of the sea, or so they said...

The aetherial sea washes your soul clean of memories over time. How much time is not said. The aether that makes up your soul however, will be reborn into someone else.

The 12 (well, 11 of them) - are going back to the Aetherial Sea. There, the power they have been harboring will return to the star. Menphina does say that "When the time comes, we will meet again" but I don't think that means in the Aetherial Sea. I think she means when they are all reborn. Although, it could mean that it will take more than the course of a mortals life for them to return to the star and be reborn, so they will wait for him and then return together. Maybe you have some control over how long it takes you to return to the star? Amon seemed to hold it together in the Aetherial Sea until we defeated him, and Asahi was just hanging around until then and seemed to choose to go at the same time as Amon. The mechanics aren't really clear.

Stay there long enough though, and your memories will be dissolved, and your soul washed clean and eventually you'll be reborn. Some events however, can leave a mark on the soul such that they can be remembered generations later. Such as the final days.

In the Atiascope I believe you are fighting (and being helped by) the Aether of people with strong grudges against you (or love for you). They haven't been there very long so their memory is still intact.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

I presume soul density plays a role as well. Emet or other ancients may take a long time to be cleansed of memories and fully rejoin the life stream.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
This kind of narrative style doesn't belong in an MMO or even in a game, I agree.

Stories in gaming need to be told mostly via gameplay and not extended story sequences, if there's a non combat section then there should be something like meaningful dialogue options, if there's a long cutscene it should be a reward and something badass.
What's worse is that all of the content is locked behind those story sequences. Until you've done X, you are not allowed to step foot into zone B. Until you've done Y, you can't go into dungeon C.

The base game was wide open and allowed you to do whatever, although the incentive for MSQ were there. The rest? You need to do everything, in that order, or you don't have any access to anything. If I were any more suspicious, I'd think it is to sell you story skips, but compared to monthly subs, the price of such is probably not a major factor like it would be in a F2P game.

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I kind of like that FFXIV is made that way. Do the MSQ and unlock stuff as you go. Compared to WoW where you have no idea what the hell is going on because you jump randomly through expansions.

Granted you do need to like a story heavy game for it to work. I enjoyed it though.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
What's worse is that all of the content is locked behind those story sequences. Until you've done X, you are not allowed to step foot into zone B. Until you've done Y, you can't go into dungeon C.

The base game was wide open and allowed you to do whatever, although the incentive for MSQ were there. The rest? You need to do everything, in that order, or you don't have any access to anything. If I were any more suspicious, I'd think it is to sell you story skips, but compared to monthly subs, the price of such is probably not a major factor like it would be in a F2P game.
It's to keep the story and expansions coherent, WoW just deletes everything at expansion's end.

Skips are not a big thing, I've done 1-90 eight times and the alt experience is great.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think what used to bug me the most about people suggesting other activities other than MSQ is the fact that everything in FFXIV is locked behind a stupid number of hurdles/cutscenes.

Crafting is almost as painful as it was in FFXI. A new player needs to understand, unless you have millions of gil to throw away, it will take months to not only level a craft but to also farm the gil/materials needed to level it. At which point, you'll realise the market is saturated and if you want to make gil you're most likely going to need to shell out for additional retainers and apply a work-based ethic to setting days out each month to craft and list small items with a slightly decent margin at least until someone with millions of gil decides to fuck with the market and list everything at a loss for shits and giggles. Oh, and yeah, not forgetting the various quests/cutscenes you need to also sit through to level your skill. The journey will not be fun at all.

localhost

Golden Knight of the Realm
I made millions a day back in shb just crafting regulars armors/weapons, not the advanced one. May be it changed but i sold everything 10-50k for few sec of a craft macro. I don't need gils now so i don't do anymore but worth checking. Also old particules weapons from primals were worth 100k+ each. I like finding my own macros.
The story, i liked it, loved in shb, also having things like fishing trips, fates for craft, Eureka and helping random people i meet and chat with while playing my busted war late at night (really feel like old mmo there), getting necromancer, doing alliance raid hoping for some chaos run.
if you don't like these activities, i doubt the game is worth it just for some savage/ultimate. Remember that the gear you get will be nearly useless, nobody will be astonished, you can clear any savage with just crafted gear (not even need the tomestones one), and legend X titles are everywhere.

Cybsled

Crafting leveling is pretty cheap once you unlock Firmament. As long as you also have gathering

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Juvarisx

Florida
I think what used to bug me the most about people suggesting other activities other than MSQ is the fact that everything in FFXIV is locked behind a stupid number of hurdles/cutscenes.

Crafting is almost as painful as it was in FFXI. A new player needs to understand, unless you have millions of gil to throw away, it will take months to not only level a craft but to also farm the gil/materials needed to level it. At which point, you'll realise the market is saturated and if you want to make gil you're most likely going to need to shell out for additional retainers and apply a work-based ethic to setting days out each month to craft and list small items with a slightly decent margin at least until someone with millions of gil decides to fuck with the market and list everything at a loss for shits and giggles. Oh, and yeah, not forgetting the various quests/cutscenes you need to also sit through to level your skill. The journey will not be fun at all.

You can press escape and skip everyhting if you want. Quin69 did that, became totally lost at cap and quit the game, the option is there though.

Crafting. First crafter get it to like lvl 10. and do 12 Ixali dailies till level 50, then moogle dailies to 60, etc. Add in custom deliveries for white scrap for gear and its a joke. Hell do a fishing expedition and get 500 scrips every 2 hours . Then start introducing other crafters, unless you bought gil *cough*, its a waste of time to try to brute force your way to cap at the end of the expansion, just get em ready for next. It takes maybe a week to spend nothing leveling a crafter. Gatherers are easy, diadem -> sell it all.

I will never be an advocate of finishing the MSQ right away, hell I still haven't on my Gilg character. There is enough interesting content on the way up that you can take breaks from it and its all scaled. Join an Ultimate party at 70, or do all the Omega raids, or Coils, or unlock the Ivalice Alliance raids, those were fun.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>

Ehhhhhhhhh

If you level with the ishgard restoration you can do it cheap..for the cost of your gear alone really. You will level your gathering and your crafting at the same time.

It's boring as fuck but it's a simple grind.

Don't even really need to do any quests at this point if I remember right. All abilities are given to you at like quest level 10 or something and the following abilities are granted by level alone.

The one I'm using (I'm told it's not good...but I had no issues):

The other ones:

---

Hell do a fishing expedition and get 500 scrips every 2 hours

There is a spearfish collection one that I go to for scrips. I wanna say it's right off the coast of Heaven on High.

Other location is in labarynthios or whatever, there is a collection fish in the north next to a waterfall.

Combine those 2 and you basically have infinite white and purple gathering scrips without farming a boatload of other things.

Aazrael

Yea I forgot how damn rough the Zodiac grind is. Being broke as hell is not helping the second to last step either. One more item to buy from the market and I can finish that part at least for the Ragnarok Zeta. The player crafted items for the quests seem to run for 50k on my data center.

Daidraco

I wouldnt even say you need to do something boring to level up crafting - as I enjoy the beast tribe quests every expansion. My go-to for GIl is always just to look up the turn ins for trade class quests, make them and sell them for whatever quality the quest needs. Some sell for way more than others and the mats will be something stupid, like shit you can buy off the trade vendors.

Aazrael

Phew, finally finished the Warrior Zeta, my Second ARR Relic. The first one was on my Dragoon. I do enjoy these long quest chains more than the "farm 1500 tomestones for next step". But the ARR quest line might be a bit too long.

Skärmbild 2023-10-09 212012.png

• 1Solidarity

Tide27

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I was enjoying the game until I stopped getting the option to play. I enjoyed the story up until the point every single quest had atleast 2 cutscenes.

I went from getting 22k exp per quest pre Ultimate weapon. To 2k per quest as well. So it felt like there was zero progression

Chris

Potato del Grande
I was enjoying the game until I stopped getting the option to play. I enjoyed the story up until the point every single quest had atleast 2 cutscenes.

I went from getting 22k exp per quest pre Ultimate weapon. To 2k per quest as well. So it felt like there was zero progression
There is a big distinction between levelling content and endgame content.

Levelling content is lots of exp and the faster paced main expansion story, then endgame content is low exp and slower paced story that is an additional expansion story and set up for the next expansion.

When you level alts, you do the levelling dungeons but never the endgame dungeons because they are less exp (because you don't need exp at max level so they didn't put any in for some reason).

So there's an ebb and a flow to things, but each expansion the stories get better.

If you enjoy the core gameplay (try the raids) and like Final Fantasy stories, it's worth it. If you want an open world multiplayer adventure then get yourself to classic WoW.

Chinaman889

<Silver Donator>
I'm about to finish up EW main MSQ. I haven't been this focused and excited since I grind through all the WoT books when each finally came out.

The story experience has been fantastic in EW, and I've never felt anything like this in my 10+ years of playing wow.

In hindsight, it's almost been a full year since I started FF14 on trial and to get this far with feed back from everyone here - thank you!

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
I'm about to finish up EW main MSQ. I haven't been this focused and excited since I grind through all the WoT books when each finally came out.

The story experience has been fantastic in EW, and I've never felt anything like this in my 10+ years of playing wow.

In hindsight, it's almost been a full year since I started FF14 on trial and to get this far with feed back from everyone here - thank you!
The final dungeon is my favourite in the whole game and the trials etc after are great too.

Chinaman889

<Silver Donator>
EW MSQ done. Fantastic finish. Loved the Zeno fight as an obvious homage to Cloud/Sephiroth fight in FF7.

I'm kind of irked that Meterion doesn't really get punished for all the countless lives/worlds she and her sisters have destroyed.

I'm guessing we got foreshadowed about future expansions - we know New World is coming up and probably future ones in South Isles and Merycydia?

• 1Like