Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Cybsled

Biggest issue with beastmaster is in theory every single animal you can capture has to be loadable into every single zone you go to. So there would be an increase memory requirement, although who knows if it would be more significant than armors/mounts, which already are unique models mostly.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

joz123

Potato del Grande
I would think the monsters could only be used in the zones they are from. Doesn't make sense to be able to use any monster everywhere.

Cybsled

I doubt they would put that level of restriction on them - it would remove most of the appeal of the class and it would make raids/dungeons/trials pretty limited as well.

If they did implement it, think something like Pokemon. There would probably be certain categories of beasts you can get, but different quality levels. So if you had a crab, there would be C through S rank crabs with different stats maybe. So it wouldn't just be trying to collect new animals, but trying to collect the best versions of them.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I would think the monsters could only be used in the zones they are from. Doesn't make sense to be able to use any monster everywhere.

Would make doing EX/Savage on Limited Jobs really hard, that is the fun part of the limited jobs the designers are not as "strict" on DPS/Tank/heal checks, so not only do the Players get some fun the designers get a small break from doing "Normal" content design for those.

I would still like Beast Master but who knows how they are gonna handle it, but puppet might be a high possibility still(although pets in general really suck in this game)

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Biggest issue with beastmaster is in theory every single animal you can capture has to be loadable into every single zone you go to. So there would be an increase memory requirement, although who knows if it would be more significant than armors/mounts, which already are unique models mostly.
I think it'd just load per char like you said armor/mounts, once you're in rendering range it just loads whatever beast is active.

Another idea I figured they could do is have a permanent customizable beast, basically similar to how puppets would work. Instead of actively summoning different beasts, you teach your own super beast other beast skills, similar to how blue magic works. This would let them add glamour customization to the beast, similar to how chocobos can wear different bardings, since they'd only need to fit a single beast(maybe a few different models). In fact generally speaking PUP/this beast system would be very similar to how Chocobos already work, although in a less limited(ironically) way.

Anyway I don't think technical issues would be too much of a concern other than when there's an update and there's a lot of beastmaster in the same place and such. Rest of the time you would rarely every see one. They could easily make it so beasts can't be summoned in cities so that part would be fine too. In fact it'd be surprising if they could be summoned in cities considering a bunch are likely going to be on the bigger side which would be a mess. Same reason they didn't let people use full sized summons and instead had the small Egis.

xaivius

Freelance Kwisatz-Haderach
<Gold Donor>
While Puppetmaster can make sense from the perspective of Mammets being more focused in the story over time, I think Beastmaster just makes more sense in terms of how much work they want to put in a limited joband there was a whole beastmaster thing in Bozja so it's not entirely ignored either). They already have a ton of sprites and animations for beasts. For mammets well there's a few models from the few dungeons like knight/caster and the twin dolls and that kind of stuff but feels like they'd have to just make a lot more assets. If they want puppets to be actually customizable, they'd need to have a system for that which I don't know how much they can do with "summons" wearing "gear".

I think beasts work better from a collecting point of view too, with a system where you have a "stable" of pets that you can swap on the fly with a few skills each so there's incentive to collect a lot of different things to work together, rather than building a puppet with maybe a few presets. And there's only so many pieces you can have in a puppet to collect, it's a bit hard to add more without making it "the same thing but a different color", I think? Unless they go with the puppet being assigned a class in which case puppets can be upgraded every expansion with the new classes being added and such, but still leaves the question of how different a SAM puppet would be from a NIN puppet, besides how it looks. In XI a lot of puppet pieces are just better stats and few actually change the puppet properties.

So overall for the gameplay aspect of a limited job that would likely be focused on collecting a lot of stuff like BLU is since you can't have them in standard content, Beastmaster just looks like a better choice. You can collect the beasts, maybe they can be trained to unlock more skills, you can have them seamlessly integrate into combat system similar to how SMN works by pressing button and a beast comes out for a skill or by making it "stance" based where you switch to a beast like a stance and get access to specific skills there until you switch to another and such. There's less reliance on pet AI and stuff if you do it that way, while PUP would be entirely pet centric and pets in XIV are... not great. If you've played SMN before the rework you know how finnicky some stuff is.
So I could see this being folded into the concept for a 'pictomancer', a copy-based class. Would work with similar mechanics while also drawing from the minion mini-game codebase. Would fit some of the glamor lore in game, and neatly ratchet in behind blue mage for the FF6 nod to Strago and Relm. Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with.

In other news, finally hit 90 on everything except blue mage, so now it's off to learn how to eureka and get me some glowy armor, RGB relics, and an Orb mount. Also still need to farm too godsdamned many runs of Debulum for Resistance relics.

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
So I could see this being folded into the concept for a 'pictomancer', a copy-based class. Would work with similar mechanics while also drawing from the minion mini-game codebase. Would fit some of the glamor lore in game, and neatly ratchet in behind blue mage for the FF6 nod to Strago and Relm. Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with.

In other news, finally hit 90 on everything except blue mage, so now it's off to learn how to eureka and get me some glowy armor, RGB relics, and an Orb mount. Also still need to farm too godsdamned many runs of Debulum for Resistance relics.
Oh yeah was just using these 2 classes, they could definitely use Picture/Painting class or Mime or any other thing, just between Puppet and Beast I think Beast has more chances by a fair bit.

One thing that I was wondering though is will the new limited job be able to party with BLU with no penalties or will they keep them separate. And that also got me thinking of them making a limited class that's true solo using the tools they made to add NPCs to all the MSQ dungeons this expansion. Like they'd take all the ARR dungeons and add the same system and then let the new limited job true solo everything. It'd be pretty cool if you could customize a team of beasts(or whatever else) and run dungeons on your own like with trusts, but less sucky. Maybe speedrun rankings for it? That'd make it very different from BLU cause just making another class like BLU sounds a bit boring.

Anyway for now it's all speculation, I'm not even sure they'll talk about the limited job next fanfest, might keep it for later since it's likely not being released until 7.25 or something like that anyway, which is 2025.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Seems obvious it'll be a pet class? Just matter of if you capture/paint a monster or use your mammets/pets/mounts.

Only other thing I can think of is a true Geomancer with abilities dependant on the zone and learned per zone?

Cybsled

Limited time only? That sucks, would have been fun to be permanent. Hopefully it rotates back like those other promo events, like the watch event

• 1Like

Cybsled

Saw the interview and makes sense - people will eventually stop queuing, so if you make it limited time then people will be available more often during its run.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Saw the interview and makes sense - people will eventually stop queuing, so if you make it limited time then people will be available more often during its run.

Or they could do like they do with the jumping puzzle one and put it into the rotation in the jumping puzzle one.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Or they could do like they do with the jumping puzzle one and put it into the rotation in the jumping puzzle one.
One of the reasons they didn't run some collab events more/forever is because of copyrights and what not they've said before(like with the Garo collabs), they could potentially get a one time offer done but it's probably not worth it for them in terms of cost probably. I think it's fine if they rerun it every now and then.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Damn 6.51 Today and it's slapping us in the face with a bunch more content.

I don't know if I want to start with the Fall Guys collab, the new Criterion or Crafter Relics first.

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
Got 100 totems from Abyssal Fracture, haven’t seen the mount drop once. Gonna go for the previous two.

Last edited:

Cybsled

Fall Guys thing is pretty fun - solo queue can take a bit, so might be worth checking party finder to see if there is a pre-form group that is queuing

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Damn 6.51 Today and it's slapping us in the face with a bunch more content.

I don't know if I want to start with the Fall Guys collab, the new Criterion or Crafter Relics first.

Interesting now the Criterion dungeon has some rewards than can give the basic tome weapon (which apparently fully upgraded with 24 man raid coins now is on par ilevel wise with savage raid weapons) a unique glow effect. Apparently this also works for the final BLU mage weapon glam, the umbrella. Honestly not all the tome weapons look that good, but a few of them look pretty sick (pally, dark knight stand out most to me).