Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Goonsquad Officer
I know they’re not going this route but woulda been pretty badass if they just shut down the ffxiv mmo after the end of endwalker , basically saying this mmo was about this story which is now complete. Then just create a new mmo with a whole new universe and storyline (but is ok to use same assets) rather than another xpac.
From an economics standpoint makes no sense but if money was no issue I think the team would love that as it really thematically is in line with how ff games operate
I'd love it if they took the engine and assets and made other stories for sure. The ff14 crew does a good job of using every part of the buffalo with their game elements. It would be cool to see it like an ultra rpg maker package

Cybsled

I still want to see more expacs on the other unexplored shards.

Aside from the 1st and 13th, there should be 4 more left?

Ya, 4 I think besides those

they’ll probably save that ace in the hole, though. Those would probably be most useful for bubble expansions since you would have a mostly independent world you can mess around on.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
1704753743513.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

I always did wonder what the Ascian plan was regarding the 13th. The shard got fucked up - did they plan to just go 13/14 rejoined and call it a day? lol

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
I always did wonder what the Ascian plan was regarding the 13th. The shard got fucked up - did they plan to just go 13/14 rejoined and call it a day? lol
IIRC Emet mentions this when he gets the exarch saying he wondered about how he was able to do time shenanigans, since that would be useful to him in fixing the 13th.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
It went "too" Dark was the problem, hence why the failed re-joining, I think it was at this point they tried(and were sort of successful) in making the 1st "Pure" Light, although Venat stepping in I don't think was ever part of the plan, I think it was at this point Venat realized that we were the "Familiar" from the Past and started us down the road of, fighting the Endsinger.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I know they’re not going this route but woulda been pretty badass if they just shut down the ffxiv mmo after the end of endwalker , basically saying this mmo was about this story which is now complete. Then just create a new mmo with a whole new universe and storyline (but is ok to use same assets) rather than another xpac.
From an economics standpoint makes no sense but if money was no issue I think the team would love that as it really thematically is in line with how ff games operate

While it would be nice to have a updated game on a newer engine, there's far too much story still left to tell in the current world even post endwalker to just hang it up. Still rest of the world and 4 other unexplored shards left that are not rejoined to explore.

Sythrak

Vyemm Raider
I haven't played in years but that honestly looks no different than the epic weapons 5 years ago lol. Are they still doing just +1% betterer stats to everything?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
I haven't played in years but that honestly looks no different than the epic weapons 5 years ago lol. Are they still doing just +1% betterer stats to everything?
They do a version of this every expansion.

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
They're never going to make "cool effects that might end up broken even when the ilvl is much lower" because it's a waste of time to try to balance, it's purely cosmetics. As for the effects, depends on the weapons and the actual upgrades, some definitely look better than stuff done 5years ago, but since it's cosmetics design depending on taste some of the old ones(like Anima) can still look quite good in comparison.

I'm not a big fan of this batch. A few look ok but overall I wouldn't bother making a relic just for these, although I probably will and get like the DNC or MNK weaps cause I don't mind them too much. Probably not playing until like a month or two before 7.0 though when I'll go and clean up all the stuff I've missed in prep for the Dawntrail.

• 1Like

Sythrak

Vyemm Raider
That was always my biggest gripe with the game is the itemization has been terrible since day one. I can't really recall even one item I ever got excited about. With 6 month raid cycles where gear is basically obsolete who cares if something might crop up occasionally that's overpowered.

• 2Like

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
i agree with you in sentiment, but ive grown to like it in this game. Maybe it’s because I can switch classes on one character, maybe it’s because this game is more story then stats, but for whatever reason I basically play and don’t give a shit about gear.
I just enjoy the content, I’ve actually watched all the little cutscenes and story and generally just enjoy playing.

the game is huge on cosmetics though, be it mounts, little minions, or costumes(non stat gear). They have found a way to make the game fun without creating strange one off items or have a huge focus on gear stats.

while I’m sure it helps them balance easier I also think it, along with the “item sync” concept is a HUGE reason they continue to see influx of new and return players. It’s never impossible to catch up and there are always people doing low level content! Other games really could learn from some of this

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
That was always my biggest gripe with the game is the itemization has been terrible since day one. I can't really recall even one item I ever got excited about. With 6 month raid cycles where gear is basically obsolete who cares if something might crop up occasionally that's overpowered.
i agree with you in sentiment, but ive grown to like it in this game. Maybe it’s because I can switch classes on one character, maybe it’s because this game is more story then stats, but for whatever reason I basically play and don’t give a shit about gear.
I just enjoy the content, I’ve actually watched all the little cutscenes and story and generally just enjoy playing.

the game is huge on cosmetics though, be it mounts, little minions, or costumes(non stat gear). They have found a way to make the game fun without creating strange one off items or have a huge focus on gear stats.

while I’m sure it helps them balance easier I also think it, along with the “item sync” concept is a HUGE reason they continue to see influx of new and return players. It’s never impossible to catch up and there are always people doing low level content! Other games really could learn from some of this
It's one of it's greatest flaws and greatest strengths

Boring itemisation takes a lot away from an RPG.

But it means that the game is easy to maintain, leading to new jobs every expansion and everything being evergreen content.

Personally I scratch that itch with my character being more versalite than others, I can swap out to any tank or healer job depending on what suits the fight or my interest.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>

FFXIV has never been about the item grind, it has always been about the appearance item grind. If you are grinding items for gear you are doing this game wrong...

it is second life...with MMO gear, that is all.

You log in, try to get your edick sucked by an obviously MtF tranny in some disco club thats promoted in every city as an 18+ club and then you log out.

• 1Barf
  • 1Like

Sythrak

Vyemm Raider
Yeah I played the game for what it was, story driven fashion quest, and in those areas the game is fantastic. Shadowbringers and Heavensward are probably some of the best expacs I've played to date. I just don't think generic itemization because of imbalance issues is a reason to not do interesting items (or at least put a proc on a weapon or something lol). Anything can be overpowered.

Last edited:

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Same iLvl 665(which is a first)

although the relic you can customize, but no materia slots(it has always been that way, final stage relics never let you attach materia.)

Relic-vs-Pandea.png

Last edited:

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
But the point is in this game, and outside of some elite world first crap, as long as you keep up to date on items, the specific stats don’t matter.
it may be one of the first rpg style games I’ve played where I do not review my stats page or compare items AT all beyond “ilevel“(general power).

as someone above said, greatest strength and (at least not to me) greatest weakness. I don’t participate much in the fashion crap but I still love this game. I’ll also admit I come and go with content, but thats fine by me. I enjoy leveling a different class because I keep my character and I can swap back if someone calls. I love that due to the duty/sync system there are ALWAYS people running almost all content. There are only a handful of things in this game that you don’t find folks just naturally doing.

I guess it’s just the theme they went with, unlike other RPGs where it’s all about items I find this game to be story and encounters. i find the trials, raids, and dungeons very entertaining, moderately challenging, quite beautiful graphically

Cybsled

It does make balancing easier for them and it also helps them escape the "OP/mandatory item effect" traps that plague many other MMOs. It's fun getting the OP/mandatory items in a MMO, but then you always run into the issue of the higher level replacement being worse because the item effect on the old thing is just that good. WoW and EQ1 constantly had that problem - things like fungi tunics used xpacs later, or item sets in WoW where some of the 2-4 piece bonuses had such profound impacts on class play that people where ignoring the next raid tier items because replacing the set bonus actually made them perform worse