Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
Only as "Spring 2015", but I was reading an interview(?) yesterday, that suggested the expansion will be hot on the heels of 2.55, which is scheduled Late March. The wording used was that they didn't want to release all of the 2.5 Main Scenario and then leave us stewing for 'a few months', which makes me think we're looking at April for Heavensward/3.0

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah no, they don't want people to wait too long, but they're not gonna release the expansion 2weeks after adding content. Mid may is probably the earliest I'd see them releasing it. Most like early June instead(since technically spring goes until the 20something). That's still very rapidly after the last story bit, objectively. See wow expansions ^^.

And Tonic, not bullshit no, the ability is called Mortal Gaze, and it's a mechanic that have existed in the game since release(snakes in mor dhona and ahrimans in nthan have the same sort of abilities). It was used a lot in T7 too(medusa-like boss, look at her during petrification=stone, which prenerf was very likely death) so it's a fairly common mechanics for a lot of people by now. I almost never get doomed on the first boss, the pads are just there as a recourse if you fuck up rather than the intended mechanic.

I really liked WoD though, lots of cool mechanics overall, insanely good looking and sounding(music is fucking great, the light bridges are awesome, cerberus is probably one of the coolest model in the game, last boss is really cool) and the loot is pretty decent. The 3dungeons are kind of a mixed bag, nostalgia makes me like AK even though other than that and the non combat music it's terrible, WP is way too fucking long but the story and end cutscenes are nice, KotL is pretty nice but terrible players are a pain to carry on last boss. Odin was a massive disapointment, no new drops, no EX mode so we 2 shot it(and we only failed at 1% the first time due to DPS not noticing he had started casting since we got those "adds" stuff spawning right before). I haven't done the other 2 trials yet.

Overall, this part of the patch was kinda light on content, I assume most people will have done everything there is to do by next week's reset. But it's kinda ok, more is coming soonish, and with the weekly lockout on WoD anyway, need to farm that for a while to get full sets.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
I'm working on a video guide for WoD if any of you guys need the strats, it's about halfway finished. (Please look forward to it. :^) )

Explosivo_sl

shitlord
I think i'm going to start playing this game fairly casually, so i'll try to get on Gilgamesh and tag up with you gents when I can. That said, I've been looking at dragoon as a primary, but I really don't like to play classes (especially DPS classes) that are super popular and a dime a dozen. I know that, as with any MMO, healers and tanks will likely get invites before anyone else, but i was curious if anyone could tell me what a needed but underplayed class might be? I enjoy tanking, so in the absence of a good, in-demand utility class (i.e., i had a huge boner for shamans and enchanters in EQ, if that helps), i'll probably end up picking a tank class.

Any advice?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Most desired DPS classes would be Bard, Monk and Ninja. Least played I'm not sure, Summoner probably. Most played, Bard and Dragoon I'd say.

Bards are probably the cornerstone of any raid group, but they're also very common. Other than that, there's no real needed classes, every classes is kinda interesting. Every class also has some utility, that's spread around rather than on one class specifically, besides bard having a bit more useful stuff than others. Play kinda what you want, Dragoons aren't particularily rare though(but good Dragoons aren't very common, so that's that).

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I think the cliche response here is relavent...

Play what you want. Skill means far more than class choice.

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm almost to 15 with Conjurer so I can get the Paladin job. Should I level Gladiator to 50 before starting on Paladin? Or what's the general thinking on that?

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Er, leveling Gladiator is leveling Paladin. When you unlock a job, it is basically just an addon to your existing profession (pugilist/gladiator/marauder/et al) but restricts your cross class skills while providing you with job specific skills. You can choose to stay as a gladiator from 30 onwards, but with the bonuses to being a paladin (and really, you are tanking, you need the job-specific cross class crap) you really should be leveling as a paladin. This goes for basically every class/job in the game.

Ferr_sl

shitlord
Ok so I just resubbed after like a year - Despoc Darkjester from ISIS FC, does anyone have a link of catchup paths?? When I left we were farming twin and ultima / CT had just recently come out, if that gives a good landmark of where to go from here.

I read the patch notes and whatnot, just looking for anything to tell me where to go and when from where I am.

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
Ok so I just resubbed after like a year - Despoc Darkjester from ISIS FC, does anyone have a link of catchup paths?? When I left we were farming twin and ultima / CT had just recently come out, if that gives a good landmark of where to go from here.

I read the patch notes and whatnot, just looking for anything to tell me where to go and when from where I am.
Get caught up on your main scenario and work on getting your roulettes open. Plenty to do just with that, imo, since you're i90+ so you won't have to worry too much about gearing up unless you feel like doing Second Coil+.

Saban_sl

shitlord
How are the new 4 mans? I did keeper of lake up to the first boss before people bailed, he seemed to have twice the hp of a Qarn HM boss.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
How are the new 4 mans? I did keeper of lake up to the first boss before people bailed, he seemed to have twice the hp of a Qarn HM boss.
Well they have more hp, but not that much. Probably shitty DPS. There's a lot of them and as content progresses, it's more visible. It took 10mins to beat the last boss of keeper of the lake in one EXDR I did, monk did 140DPS and bard did 90. And tank whatever. Sadly since they were also standing in every aoes and the tank kept tanking with the mobs turned towards us, I couldn't DPS the entire time and had to heal like it was fucking T12.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
325 DPS on a dummy at ilvl 102 Monk, good bad average?

Nyrrukette Eronaile | FINAL FANTASY XIV, The Lodestone
Hard to say, your gear sucks for anything where DPS would really matter. Get more gloam stuff or ironworks stuff and try to get in a Shiva EX party to get i115 fists asap.

I do 400ish at i104 on my monk, but a large part of that is because I have the shiva fists so while my jewelry is mostly still i90 garbage(well I changed it recently but haven't parsed since) I do respectable damage. Weapon damage is the biggest DPS increase you can get, it's like 16times as good as other stats or something like that.