Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Crafting seems tragic now yeah, I remember back in sb my goal was 5 mil/hour profit for it to seem worthwhile. Not sure I could even make a mil now? And the idea of putting in like 12 hours of crafting for 12 mil is crushing.

On the bright side submarines are something like 4m~ income a week passively, but they take a few months to get to that point.

I do think we'll see a BIG price spike on materia the first few days of new crafter set, I have been doing turnins every week and I'm hoping to pull in double figure millions at least? Not sure if patch delay will mess that up some though. We'll see.

I just don't see the big price spike coming. Most people have stockpiles of 7's and 8's by this point. So many people purposely went easy on melding their Facet sets, and they nerfed crafting again where it made that an even smarter thing to do. They've never changed Syrup just being a way to print 4-7's, and with Ishgard crafting there's more ways than ever to get 8's (along with the lightning crystal fixes dropping their price for alch combines, and quick synth working if you want to make BSM/ARM starred recipes). Might jump a little, but not much.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Barraind

Trakanon Raider
IThey've never changed Syrup just being a way to print 4-7's

Basically this.

You can spend a couple hours with a quick macro for syrup (and one for refined natron too!) and make plenty of scrips. The mh relics launched on a syrup day for me, 62 of them later, I had all the necessary mats for all of them.

If you can buy it with yellows, it's not going to have too much value for the rest of the expansion (and i think were getting a new custom delivery person in 5.3 for even more free white scrips)

Cybsled

You're still capped at 12 custom delivery handins, so basically pick 2 people who have the bonus handins that week.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Basically this.

You can spend a couple hours with a quick macro for syrup (and one for refined natron too!) and make plenty of scrips. The mh relics launched on a syrup day for me, 62 of them later, I had all the necessary mats for all of them.

If you can buy it with yellows, it's not going to have too much value for the rest of the expansion (and i think were getting a new custom delivery person in 5.3 for even more free white scrips)
Was the same in Stormblood it isn't really something new, you could always(well after SB, early HW was a very different time) grind scrips by waiting for the right recipe and spamming it, and since they added materias to them(in stormblood iirc? or maybe late HW) you pretty much always had "infinite" materias as long as you grinded scrips. In SB the easy recipe was Almandine Grinding Wheel(or the other wheel I forgot which).

Just generally it still takes a lot of materias to overmeld everything, so it was still a solid time and money investment, even if it looks cheap, plus the lost opportunity cost of all the materias you're wasting in your gear instead of selling them. So they still retain a certain value, although now with how many people can afk macro them due to easy leveling, it's probably not as good either.

Merrith

Was the same in Stormblood it isn't really something new, you could always(well after SB, early HW was a very different time) grind scrips by waiting for the right recipe and spamming it, and since they added materias to them(in stormblood iirc? or maybe late HW) you pretty much always had "infinite" materias as long as you grinded scrips. In SB the easy recipe was Almandine Grinding Wheel(or the other wheel I forgot which).

Just generally it still takes a lot of materias to overmeld everything, so it was still a solid time and money investment, even if it looks cheap, plus the lost opportunity cost of all the materias you're wasting in your gear instead of selling them. So they still retain a certain value, although now with how many people can afk macro them due to easy leveling, it's probably not as good either.

There wasn't any one recipe that crushed scrips the way syrup does in this expansion, though. I grinded quite a bit of red/yellow scrips for materia in SB, not saying it was hard, but it was not 7 or 8 step macro for 324 scrips easy. About the only sad thing from syrup grinding is I'm not also getting handed 4.5k gil a turn in anymore. That shit was just ridiculous. Making millions on top of the tens of millions I was making selling control 7's near the start of this expac.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
5.3 delayed all the way to August 11th. Will delay everything after too(potentially pushing the next expansion to late august, although they might be able to make time back at that point).

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Thanks for the update.

Would be welcome for them to release some early info on any planned class mechanic changes and whether they're aware of the overall healer discontent but a picture of a tank is always good. Hopefully it isn't locked behind their broken housing system.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The post says they'll be releasing the preview website page soon-ish like they always do, so just some quick write-up about the new features and some screenshots.

They won't talk about class changes though, even during the LL they said they won't reveal much other than some vague statements about who's getting buffed/nerfed because people overreact to class changes announcements everytime without having seen the finished numbers and it makes the official forums worse than usual or whatever(maybe the japanese ones aren't as much as a dumpster fire as the english ones).

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
Thanks for the update.

Would be welcome for them to release some early info on any planned class mechanic changes and whether they're aware of the overall healer discontent but a picture of a tank is always good. Hopefully it isn't locked behind their broken housing system.
They're extremely loathe to do major changes (e.g. machinist's rework) during the content patch cycle. We wouldn't see major healer changes until 6.0 at the earliest, I would estimate. Ninja's changes were a bit of an exception to that, so maybe they'll nudge things at 5.4 but I really doubt it will be sweeping. We wouldn't be seeing any new abilities for sure, but I hope I'm wrong on that point.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Healer major changes would require a ton of balancing anyway so they'd wait until the expansion, especially if they have plans to add a 4th healer(which isn't guaranteed but would make sense).

The issue is button bloat is a real big problem and healer suffer heavily from it since they have tons of situational tools just for healing and utility, which means it's easier to remove damage abilities to keep the bloat in check. They're probably going to have to rework healing significantly to make room for much better DPS rotations(which they really should do since healers still spend 95% of the time DPSing, just like they did previous expansion, as expected). Trimming some of the heals and adding more DPS options in 6.0 instead of new healing actions would probably get the job done tbh. SCH especially has a shit ton of buttons they can merge/drop by increasing healing output elsewhere.

Hell in theory they really only need one additional button to go back to the previous expansion system, give 2 dots with different durations and now you have an actual "rotation" to keep up even though it's a bit boring. Or you can go slightly different, I think giving SCH and WHM just a single direct instant damage based on their gauge so they have an opportunity cost too but can be used to weave at no damage loss(WHM could be a damage skill that shares cd with their small lilly heal and SCH costs a bit of gauge to cast, maybe a trait for Ruin 2 to make it simpler).

But yeah I don't see them doing any of that stuff until 6.0.

nu_11

Glad I let my sub expire last week. Nothing to do but wait for new patches. Probably return 1 month before 5.5.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
I don’t think I’d like to see a return to dot rotations for sch. It was a bit tedious and I’d rather see some new creative strategies for healer dps , maybe something like damage shields on tanks or on entire raid that does serious damage but with long cools downs , so there’s some strategy to using them with boss aoes etc

Daidraco

Honestly, if they had a healer that was 100% support - ie. Heals, Stat Buffs, Damage Shields, Aura's, etc. - then I would thank my lucky stars. Every time I come back from a content hiatus, I end up grouping with these people that think that healing is the sole reason they are there. Ive tried reasoning with them in the past, but it never helps. "Bro, the entire group hasnt taken damage the last 3/5 of the instance. You havent cast a heal or a DPS ability this entire time. What are you doing?" So a class that lets those "special snowflakes" play the way they want to play would be a blessing in disguise.

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Honestly, if they had a healer that was 100% support - ie. Heals, Stat Buffs, Damage Shields, Aura's, etc. - then I would thank my lucky stars. Every time I come back from a content hiatus, I end up grouping with these people that think that healing is the sole reason they are there. Ive tried reasoning with them in the past, but it never helps. "Bro, the entire group hasnt taken damage the last 3/5 of the instance. You havent cast a heal or a DPS ability this entire time. What are you doing?" So a class that lets those "special snowflakes" play the way they want to play would be a blessing in disguise.

Maybe my server is a bad example but I find myself mainly healing on around 80% of the Duty Finder groups with the odd nuke/dot tossed in. It is a joy when I get a group with a tank whose health hardly budges and the deeps actively avoid AOEs. To be fair, I'm on AST at the minute so there's always something for me to be doing. Compared to WHM it's like I'm on perma-crack.

• 1Solidarity

Malakriss

75b3efb8.jpg

The characters in the background are apparently wearing 5.3 gear sets, squint if you are really desperate to know.

Ishgard Restoration
  • Scheduled to be released on Patch 5.31, which is 3 to 4 weeks after Patch 5.3
Save The Queen and Southern Bozja Frontlines - Unforgiven, Unforgotten
  • Scheduled to be released 1.5 months after Patch 5.3, which is Patch 5.35
  • The scale of the content is larger than when Eureka first started.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Cybsled

Good stuff. Glad to see Eureka 2.0 will be solo friendly. Fuck the eq1/FFXI grind forever.

• 1Solidarity

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Good stuff. Glad to see Eureka 2.0 will be solo friendly. Fuck the eq1/FFXI grind forever.
A lot of people were asking for content like that, they did it, some people liked it, some didn't, it's worth at least trying. It wasn't even nearly as bad as the old days either, it only took like 2minutes to go to the spots instead of 30mins, and you could generally find groups instantly since everyone in there was there for the same purpose, versus fishing for hours trying to find a group. I remember sitting for hours in Jeuno trying to get leveling groups until I switched to RDM.

Cybsled

I just got bored. I went Eureka late, so no one was in noob area. So some friends got me into a NM train and the gains were slow and the mechanics tedious, so I left.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
There was nothing fun about Eureka, ever. No purpose to exploration, no incentive to form small groups and kill mobs, no amount of thought required whatsoever - just bot up and kill NMs in the train. The arsenal dungeon sounded interesting but I was not willing to suffer through the hours upon hours of Eureka required to unlock it.

• 1Solidarity

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I thought it was ok to meh depending on the parts, Pagos was real fucking bad and slow until it was buffed 50times, but I liked Anemos(solo aspect and stuff) and then Pyros(Logos actions). Hydatos was inbetween, it was too slow imo but they never buffed it even after ShB launched which fucking sucks, but it also had really cool parts like the end of the story and Baldesion Arsenal.

Not saying it was a success, not sure it was, I'd say probably not, but before it a lot of people were FFXI this FFXI that so they did that. I'm glad they're moving away from it too since I'd rather be able to grind relics and shit on my own, but it just wasn't anywhere close to as harsh as the old games, but it sometimes reminded of good aspects of it. I actually had some parties chatting while camping dragons due to slower spawns, and there was always someone needing a rez or whatever which was pretty cool as a system and reminded me of some of the good aspects of the old games, but without a lot of the bullshit around(like the time requirements I mentionned).

Anyway 5.3 looks kinda light on content until .1 and .5, so maybe I'll wait to play it, not sure. Then again I have all the fucking relics and crafter relic shit to farm since I didn't play 5.2.5 so maybe it'll hold me long enough for 5.3.5 to hit.