Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Cybsled

I think they clarified Zodiark and Hyd aren’t 100% done, but the majority of the arc will be wrapped up (like 90%+). Which makes sense since the game starts with them and they’ll probably want to end with them.

So I suspect Acsians are wrapped up, we get more info/answers re ancients, and both of those result in Zod and Hyd taking a back seat/being mostly neutralized for now. If Eldibus is the heart of Zod, then we might be the heart of Hyd. It could be that in order to neutralize Zod, we have to do something that neutralizes our power as well, which results in both entities becoming locked away or whatever.

Xerge

<Donor>
take my fucking money. Come on 5.3 Only so much eso and single player games to bounce between

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I think they clarified Zodiark and Hyd aren’t 100% done, but the majority of the arc will be wrapped up (like 90%+). Which makes sense since the game starts with them and they’ll probably want to end with them.

So I suspect Acsians are wrapped up, we get more info/answers re ancients, and both of those result in Zod and Hyd taking a back seat/being mostly neutralized for now. If Eldibus is the heart of Zod, then we might be the heart of Hyd. It could be that in order to neutralize Zod, we have to do something that neutralizes our power as well, which results in both entities becoming locked away or whatever.
The original Elidibus sacked himself for the summoning and then the leader of the resistance sacked as well for the 2nd. Between the two events another ascian was nominated for the Elidibus position and that is who we face now. "Heart" people are gone, but if we knock out the last of the original ascians then there's no one left trying to purge shards and cause calamities.

Cybsled

That makes sense. I wouldn’t be surprised if story was “we beat them, no more calamities!” Zodiark Zenos “allow me to introduce myself”

Daidraco

But if there is no one left to purge or cause calamities, regardless of their ultimate goal to put all the worlds back together, wont that be an issue as well?

Cybsled

Each calamity was basically a world shard ceasing to exist and reabsorbing back into the source. It also rejoined some soul fragments, like the WoL (Emet even comments that we are almost half a real person).

The shards rejoining was the Ascians at play to make sure the shard tipped too far into an element (although they fucked up one shard and made the world of darkness/void sent land). Without them fucking around, that seems less likely to happen and if it did, presumably by accident.

The only “downside” is the WoL won’t absorb more soul shards to become whole, although that isn’t a downside considering why the WoL exists to begin with and if there is no Zodiark minion to fight.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
5.3 drops next week. Just got all my skysteel tools done on my 2nd toon. I am a total whore for crafting.

• 2Like

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Damn, this snuck up on me. Haven't been in an MMO mood, but I guess it's time to resub and re-learn my jobs.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Really tempted to hop back into this for a bit for some story. Only played 5.0 recently, so I'm a little behind on patches. I love the shit out of the game, it's just always hard to stick with it when I don't really have a group to play with.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I always want to jump in time to time but always afraid it's simply too overwhelming. It's probably where we are so invested in our guild calendar on WoW and I really don't have much left for another MMO but FF XIV is a beautiful game and the story is a lot of fun. I'm a big FF person and miss the early years when it was less futuristic with gun blades and more Knights and Dragoons...lol.

Is there any room for some ultra casual play in FF XIV? We are kinda in a lull until the Shadowlands pre-patch.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
I always want to jump in time to time but always afraid it's simply too overwhelming. It's probably where we are so invested in our guild calendar on WoW and I really don't have much left for another MMO but FF XIV is a beautiful game and the story is a lot of fun. I'm a big FF person and miss the early years when it was less futuristic with gun blades and more Knights and Dragoons...lol.

Is there any room for some ultra casual play in FF XIV? We are kinda in a lull until the Shadowlands pre-patch.

Pretty much the entirety of my FF14 play has been casual. Hop in, do the story quests, the normal trials and raids are easy to get into with just Duty Finder. I still have profession classes I could level, I haven't touched any other main classes yet. Could work on beast tribe reps, Manderville quests I'm behind on, there always seem to be little crossover events going on as well. Plenty of stuff to do that you could do yourself and just do little pieces of it when you feel like it. And another thing I always liked about 14 was so much of the side stuff never felt like required chores as compared to WoW, so when I did them it was because I felt like it and it was fun to do.

• 2Like

Cybsled

If you haven't done any of FFXIV yet, then I'd recommend waiting for Tuesday. The main story quest slimdown for ARR (Vanilla) goes in, which shortens the grind. Free trial account also gets Heavensward content and free playing up to level 60 on Tuesday (it isn't a time limited thing, you can just play until level 60 for free), so there really isn't any reason not to give it a try if you haven't already.

FFXIV in terms of main story theme draws heavily from FF6 (FF2/FF3 on SNES), so you have Magitek stuff and regular fantasy stuff. So not futuristic/modern day like FF13 or FF15 (although they had mini-crossover events for both of those in the past...they've had other crossover events like Monster Hunter as well). There are actual FF6 cameos also...an entire raid is FF6 themed with Kefka as final boss and Ultros/Chupon show up in some optional side quests. Moogles are FF6 moogles in this also and there is even Doma Castle. Main story has also incorporated some Final Fantasy Tactics/FF12 stuff

• 1Like

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
If you haven't done any of FFXIV yet, then I'd recommend waiting for Tuesday. The main story quest slimdown for ARR (Vanilla) goes in, which shortens the grind. Free trial account also gets Heavensward content and free playing up to level 60 on Tuesday (it isn't a time limited thing, you can just play until level 60 for free), so there really isn't any reason not to give it a try if you haven't already.

FFXIV in terms of main story theme draws heavily from FF6 (FF2/FF3 on SNES), so you have Magitek stuff and regular fantasy stuff. So not futuristic/modern day like FF13 or FF15 (although they had mini-crossover events for both of those in the past...they've had other crossover events like Monster Hunter as well). There are actual FF6 cameos also...an entire raid is FF6 themed with Kefka as final boss and Ultros/Chupon show up in some optional side quests. Moogles are FF6 moogles in this also and there is even Doma Castle. Main story has also incorporated some Final Fantasy Tactics/FF12 stuff

Don't forget that the Phantom Train is also a fight, too. The Sigmascape series of trials is still my favorite to date simply for the nostalgia and music.

• 1Moron
  • 1Like
  • 1Faggotry
Reactions: 2 users

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I always find it interesting that when you read or watch the "top" or "favorite" character, moments, and/or games of Final Fantasy you typically see FF2/3 (FF4/6) at the top of most lists yet the modern console FF's are the furthest thing from them in terms of story and character. I always preferred 2 over 3 but I think most people would flip those on their list.

Thanks for the info though. I'll check it our on Tuesday then. Just noticed the 50% sale on the complete pack so I was considering scratching that itch... lol

• 1Like

Merrith

I always find it interesting that when you read or watch the "top" or "favorite" character, moments, and/or games of Final Fantasy you typically see FF2/3 (FF4/6) at the top of most lists yet the modern console FF's are the furthest thing from them in terms of story and character. I always preferred 2 over 3 but I think most people would flip those on their list.

Thanks for the info though. I'll check it our on Tuesday then. Just noticed the 50% sale on the complete pack so I was considering scratching that itch... lol

Age/which FF game you played first plays a large role in how many pick their favorite FF (unless you're an old fuck like me who started with the original on the NES). Personally I think 7 and 6 are in a league all their own, but I liked 4 as well.

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Modern FFs try to appeal to modern standards, and overall sell pretty well so it's not that bad of an idea from Square, although for people whose favorite games are the older ones, it feels meh. I did like FFXV overall though with all its flaws, I liked the characters and the road trip idea, it was fun imo. It wasn't like the best thing ever, but it was a lot better than FFXIII, The rise of Anime Jesus Lady.

XIV's story is pretty high quality imo even in comparison to old FFs. It takes a long time and is peppered with fetch quests and all that as all mmos do, but it captured the great things about FFXI's storytelling, telling interesting stories that are part of a bigger world's story, with interesting characters and a feel of "adventure". Shadowbringers especially is great in that regard, it both had a great villain and great side characters as a companions, so you actually care what happens to them as you go through the quests.

• 1Like

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Shadowbringers actually made me give a shit about the worlds lore too, which wasn’t really that interesting up until shadowbringers, and it’s really the only mmo that’s ever had lore worth learning too.

Cybsled

Prelim patch notes. It's snuck into the middle of this, but sounds like some big changes to the House of Splendor collectible handins...they're getting rid of the daily bonus options and it also sounds like the things you hand-in are being completely reworked and the old collectable options will be invalidated, so if you were using syrups to farm easy white crafter scrips, might want to get those handed in before Tuesday.

Merrith

Prelim patch notes. It's snuck into the middle of this, but sounds like some big changes to the House of Splendor collectible handins...they're getting rid of the daily bonus options and it also sounds like the things you hand-in are being completely reworked and the old collectable options will be invalidated, so if you were using syrups to farm easy white crafter scrips, might want to get those handed in before Tuesday.

syrups are yellow btw, but your point still stands, and it kind of sucks b/c all the work you may have done using ventures to farm up stockpiles of certain mats for scrip grinding they may now completely change on us. I get it that syrups were probably too ridiculous, and have been the whole expansion so far, but not sure I like the full revamp of everything. This will affect stuff people were using for white scrips as well, probably.