Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Goonsquad Officer
Given the praise this game always gets at some point I need to give it a shot.
The start can be overtly tutorialish but the plot beats are interesting. By heavensward I liked it a lot. And shadowbringers has an excelent story.

The free trial lasts through heavensward now I think.

There is just an insane amount of things to do in the game.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
The Free Trial Includes all the way thru the end of Heavensward now, there is still SHITLOADS of things too do even in trial, even though you are very much limited in what you can do, but it's really easy too upgrade the account too full access.
Given the praise this game always gets at some point I need to give it a shot.

Barraind

Trakanon Raider
The only thing of note I have done in the last few months is make my forge house, and I wish i was less okay with that statement.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
That's another reason to love Yoshi P, he pretty much acknowledges people will have lulls in playing and expects it. Such is the life of the MMO content cycle these days.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

Ya, I pretty much take extended breaks to avoid long term burnout. Thus far they have more or less avoided the "gotta log in every day to progress" model. If there are caps, usually it is a weekly thing.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Ya, I pretty much take extended breaks to avoid long term burnout. Thus far they have more or less avoided the "gotta log in every day to progress" model. If there are caps, usually it is a weekly thing.
Yeah and the daily things are often optional, like Beast Tribes offering cosmetics rewards and xp, Squadron mission being just guild buffs and some scrips/money/whatever, Treasure map being just a bit of money, Cactpot being just MGP, Centurio/Nuts being mostly for xp and some cosmetics(item upgrades during catch up too but doesn't feel particularly necessary) and roulettes being well just xp. So if you don't log for a few days, it actually kinda doesn't matter.

Same for weeklies really, they have more important upgrades, but it's not crippling if you don't play for a while, and when you start again you don't have that huge list of shit to do every day like farming the new reps and such. Mostly you just want to cap your tomes every week and do your custom deliveries, and that's about the sum of the things you "have to" do, and even these are somewhat optional, customs you can just grind more scrips whenever and tomes are only useful if you want to raid, and for the most part can be substituted with crafted gear until you get enough drops/weeklies to catch back up.

Gear is "reset" every 6months, and fully reset every ~2years so you're never really far off if you want to catch up and get back into endgame either, especially with crafted gear nowadays and the much more attractive price points due to crafting being a lot easier to lvl. Like a new/returning player can generally afford a full or close to full set of crafted as soon as they hit cap and skip straight into endgame if they want to.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
I have been putting in some hours. All done with the entirety of Heavensward content now. I was hoping to get the entire game done before TBC launch but I am enjoying it enough to do more than MSQ so I will probably finish all of Stormblood and shelve it until I am bored of WoW. If this shit had PVP worth a damn it would be #1 MMO by far.

asdfads.gif

• 2Like

Merrith

I have been putting in some hours. All done with the entirety of Heavensward content now. I was hoping to get the entire game done before TBC launch but I am enjoying it enough to do more than MSQ so I will probably finish all of Stormblood and shelve it until I am bored of WoW. If this shit had PVP worth a damn it would be #1 MMO by far.

View attachment 353885

I don't know how you would stop before Shadowbringers, easily the best expansion.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
WoW is still first preference overall as that is where the people that I play with are and TBC launch is going to be fun.

Plus having another MMO to play during the inevitable lull of P1 TBC will be nice and keep things top of mind going into the next FF expansion which I'm 100% going to play at launch this time.

bolok

Trakanon Raider
Stormblood is a bit hit or miss story wise in terms of rankings amongst my friend circle. But the story quality ramp from HSW on is basically absurdly well done. Shadowbringers generally being #1 or 2 in the rankings. I can't shit on tbc that hard, old wow definitely has its charms- but it's harder and harder to go back to wow.

Place your bets on reveals for the fan fest this weekend! Pretty clear its a mail dps class- were the scythe shirts a curveball? I still weirdly think hammer, but i'm still vaguely disgruntled about DRK being tank this go around, so dps scythe stings. Either way, hype for the news.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Well they did say the new class will share the Dragoon armor sets(as far as tombstone gear goes)

And ShB is just fucking amazing, SB has a bunch of build-up that leads into it but man just the first few zones of if suck you right into the whole story.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
They technically didn't say that, the original message was confusing and the translations were somewhat varied too which didn't help, but it wasn't necessarily about the new class, they were just noting the gearing situation(although some translations were seemingly about the GCD of DRG?). It would make sense, but it would also have made sense to remove Maiming or add another class to Maiming a while ago, and it's not like "fixing" maiming would fix everything since there's still scouting gear too, for only one class.

That said I'm expecting medium armor scythe class. But don't care all that much, I'll play it regardless, but doubt I'll make it my "main", since I don't have a main anyway, I just play a bunch of shit, so just looking forward to new classes and all the new stuff.

• 1Like

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Honestly a Scythe wielding class would do better with maiming set vs a fuckin scouting set

Lunar Map Whale + the FF4 Minions ( Rosa, Edge, Rydia) will be up in about 30mins if anyone is interested

• 2Like

Ehrgeix

Trakanon Raider
So just for avoidance of doubt:

I pay for the game
I pay for the expansion packs
I pay a subscription
The expansion has been delayed 3-4 months~
Ultimate raid got delayed to 6.1 / cancel'd

New 8 person mount: $36 in store, can't get any 8 person mounts in game, fanfest has banners advertising this garbage like ‘pls buy now!’

Good shit.

edit: if Blizzard did this people would be going fucking mental, how is this even remotely ok

Last edited:
  • 2Salty
  • 1Seriously?
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Merrith

So just for avoidance of doubt:

I pay for the game
I pay for the expansion packs
I pay a subscription
The expansion has been delayed 3-4 months~
Ultimate raid got delayed to 6.1 / cancel'd

New 8 person mount: $36 in store, can't get any 8 person mounts in game, fanfest has banners advertising this garbage like ‘pls buy now!’

Good shit.

edit: if Blizzard did this people would be going fucking mental, how is this even remotely ok

Technically it was just the one patch (5.3 I believe) that was delayed 3-4 months. Thus everything after that is coming out 3-4 months later than it otherwise would have. But the length of content since 5.3 came out has been back to normal basically. If this was Blizzard, it would be twice that time frame or more for multiple bits of content (you know, like how Shadowlands has been).

$35 for a mount is a bit much. But at least it's a better mount than most of the shit Blizzard puts out.

• 1Like

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Is an 8 person mount some sort of pay to win that I don't know about? Otherwise complaint is worthless. Cosmetic crap is cosmetic crap whether it's $1 or $1k.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Is an 8 person mount some sort of pay to win that I don't know about? Otherwise complaint is worthless. Cosmetic crap is cosmetic crap whether it's $1 or $1k.
There isn't really a point to it. I guess you could make an argument for relic area transportation, but unlike Eureka which unlocked mounts at the end of a given zone, the current one Bozja unlocks mounts right away so there's no real need to mount share like there used to. Plus you can easily just run 2 FFXV cars or several multi seater chocobos anyway. I guess if you do full map or hunt groups and people want to afk on the travel, but that's hardly a requirement, you could just, not afk, everyone has access to mounts and again unless you need to transport the entire grp together, you can just split with other mounts, with the FFXV car being the only 4 seater and also free(or well I think maybe the new savage bozja dog is 4seat too, but that's also free).

So yeah it is entirely cosmetics. It's expensive as fuck sure but it's also completely pointless.

As for the Blizzard comparison, they do have a 30$ mount, but nothing higher, so I guess it's somewhat better? They had 1year sub rewards several times though, so I don't know if I'd call Blizzard much better.

They also specifically mentionned the whales were to replace the fanfest tickets(which are like 150-200$ iirc) since they'd be streaming the whole thing for free.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
So it seems it's indeed the Scythe class, although it's some weird magitek scythe like the GNB weapon, I thought it'd be a smaller blade lighter scythe like Sice in Type0. Nvm the cosplay doesn't have the whole magitek, I guess only Zenos' does.

• 1Like