Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Dinged 60 and started the lvl 60 MSQ's and I need ilvl 142 to do the dungeon in the quest. I have to grind gear from the previous dungeons. It's pretty annoying I have to do that.

Edit: nvm, i'm just going to buy cheap ilvl gear off the marketplace.

Last edited:

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
Dinged 60 and started the lvl 60 MSQ's and I need ilvl 142 to do the dungeon in the quest. I have to grind gear from the previous dungeons. It's pretty annoying I have to do that.

Edit: nvm, i'm just going to buy cheap ilvl gear off the marketplace.

WTF?

Level 60 gear is ilvl 270. Level 50 gear is ilvl 130.

If you're below 142 ilvl, you're actively trashing any group you join and should feel ashamed.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Fuck Praetorium. I always seem to get that one. Shit is just too damn long with the cut scenes. Granted you can change the audio language to French and they are a little shorter but it's still annoying. Is there a way to get the other MSQ roulette much easier? Maybe by ilevel?

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
WTF?

If you're below 142 ilvl, you're actively trashing any group you join and should feel ashamed.

Meh, if the duty finder has a min ilevel, I think it’s fine to go into the dungeon at that minimum ilevel.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
WTF?

That means in 10 levels I only gained 20 ilvl? That sucks! I hit 70 earlier and only at 290.

Crone

270 is end of expansion gear at lvl60. 290 is start of expansion gear for lvl70. We're up to ilvl400+ right now.
Yep, I just figured all the MSQ and dungeons between 60-70 would have gotten me more than 20 ilvl.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yep, I just figured all the MSQ and dungeons between 60-70 would have gotten me more than 20 ilvl.
There's different scaling stuff at work so while the ilvl is small, the difference is huge. It helps not inflating the ilvl numbers too between expansions. But like defense values(mostly relevant for tanks), base hp, all secondary stat scaling formulas and the fact level differences in combat make a big difference(higher crit chance and chance to dodge against stuff lower lvl than you), plus obviously the new skills and shit, it's a big jump in power, just not in ilvl. Mind you, at 4.0 launch you still could get to like, 310 so it's a bit bigger, just the entry 70 gear is 290.

Araxen

WTF?

Meh, that's what the game gave me through leveling. I'm not grinding up gear for dungeons that I'm only doing once and moving on.

Malakriss

Tomes and seal gear would be quick jumps, even the HW mark bills or stumbling upon hunters taking down an A rank would be enough for a couple pieces.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Crone

Here I thought that buying any kind of "end game" gear would cost millions of Gil per piece? Just bought a 380 Bow, and hat for under 200k? I'm gonna get a whole damn set, why not!!

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Here I thought that buying any kind of "end game" gear would cost millions of Gil per piece? Just bought a 380 Bow, and hat for under 200k? I'm gonna get a whole damn set, why not!!
Naw they are pretty cheap. This isn't WoW where you go broke buying gear. Only gear that can cost millions is certain ones for glamour. Glamour is end game for FFXIV. 😜

Neuad

Trakanon Raider
Naw they are pretty cheap. This isn't WoW where you go broke buying gear. Only gear that can cost millions is certain ones for glamour. Glamour is end game for FFXIV. 😜

Unless you want to pentameld stuff. Thats the worst.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
They're very expensive early on, but this is pretty old gear now. Depends on your server though, on mine rakshasa weapons were still 700-800k a couple weeks ago when my sub ran out, although someone was transferring mad shit from Balmung and flooding the market with half price shit. It'll even out once they have world visit too. Do hope you bought HQ though, NQ are basically trash, although they'll still fill the ilvl requirements fine but they're like 10ilvl lower in stats or some shit.

Also fairly useful to know about the Rakshasa gear, it can be upgraded with mendacity tomes(the uncapped common ones) to 390. Makes gear that can basically clear all content even savage fairly easily. You lose the ability to pentameld, but unless you're rich you weren't going to pentameld that shit anyway. To upgrade check the vendor near the crafting in Rhalgr's Reach, they exchange Rakshasa gear for rakshasa tokens, then tokens+some oil you buy at the mendacity vendor on the other side of Rhlagr will give you the better gear.

Cybsled

Balmung have started to appear on Malboro. I looked at some of the bought out houses and the signs on a few mentioned it or RPing/Crystal datacenter move. The crafting materias have also crashed on value. Rank 5 control down to 20k and falling.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Got all three tank jobs to 70 just in time for next weekends fanfare in Japan so I can decide which one to main. I cant wait to see what are they planning to do with the Drk's rework and showcase more information on Gunbreaker.

I gotta say I'm having alot of fun tanking with paladin. Granted Drk is my favorite tank class, the paladin feels really good at 70. They can take a beating and it was the only tank class I had no issues running in dps stance. I was using rampart, shelltron and bulwark as my defensive cooldowns especially on large trash packs. I used the same gear between all of them and ran the same dungeons. The other two required me to stance dance often but was able to stay in dps stance if i used my defensive cooldowns correctly. I just dont like how they make the paladin use a gcd if they swap stances. You dont have to with the dark knight or warrior.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
While it's possible they'll talk a bit about it, I think next week is still going to be focused on new content, rather than updated content. As far as I remember the time where they really talked about the old classes in SB was during the ~may live letter, where they showed some of the new skills for some classes(Foul, PLD wings and such, don't think every class had something though cause some classes didn't get new flashy skills like say MNK and WHM) and they showed some job gauge stuff and so on.

Honestly I wouldn't expect too much in terms of stuff like that, although DRK being a rework might be an exception, but I think it's more likely they'll focus on footage for Gunbreaker, reveal of the new class, talk about the story stuff to hype the 2nd MSQ part, show maybe the other primal, talk about the 8man raid and maybe reveal some other features in more details.

And you have to GCD Grit iirc, just you can remove it without a GCD since there's no DPS stance, just "no tank stance". So it's good for the pull threat where you start in Grit then drop it, but if you want to switch to Grit halfway into a pull(healer falling behind heavily on trash or DPS sucking so you're running out of cooldowns for example, or some dickhead SAM not using Diversion with better gear so you have to switch up) you're kinda fucked also. It'll be interesting where they go with tanks and their stances for sure though, since they've been trying to force tank stances in various ways but it never works for endgame content meanwhile it creates issues for casual content where either people who don't understand it don't use tank stance and fuck it up for everyone, or people would rather just tank stance everything and that then slows down kills, slightly fucking it up for everyone(but less than bad tanks in DPS stance however more common).

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Honestly I wouldn't expect too much in terms of stuff like that, although DRK being a rework might be an exception, but I think it's more likely they'll focus on footage for Gunbreaker, reveal of the new class, talk about the story stuff to hype the 2nd MSQ part, show maybe the other primal, talk about the 8man raid and maybe reveal some other features in more details.
Since the dark knight seems to be "the job" for this upcoming expansion with the MSQ wouldn't they showcase something relating to it at Japan fanfare? A rework is pretty big imo.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Since the dark knight seems to be "the job" for this upcoming expansion with the MSQ wouldn't they showcase something relating to it at Japan fanfare? A rework is pretty big imo.
Monk was "the job" too back then, at least until they revealed SAM, and they didn't show shit. In fact they also didn't really do much for monk in that expansion until they buffed Riddle of Wind in a much later patch, there wasn't anything to show even if they wanted to since the new skills are just cooldowns with terrible animations, so yeah wouldn't expect it.

This is the fanfest about the expansion and it'll focus on the new expansion stuff I'm pretty sure, it makes the most sense. We'll see though, the deviated a bit this expansion with the additional limited class and the last live letter didn't have a hint about the new class either but yeah I'd expect standard class changes to be in the next big live letter in may, for SB I think it was a whole 2hours iirc and they showed a lot of stuff.