Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Cybsled

I'm trying to remember what my go-to team was in FFX. I think I used Auron, Tidus, Yuna, Lulu, and Rikku the most. Kimhari was probably the one I used the least, which is probably part of the reason the new race reveal didn't really do anything for me. But I could see why people who liked Kimhari would be stoked for that.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
You gotta be kidding me. The official forums is accusing the devs of being homophobic. People are actually that upset cause no male viera? Is it that fucking serious? I bet it's people from Balmung.

It's an epidemic. These people are a lot more widespread than just Balmung. FFXIV has one of the most degenerate MMORPG communities in history and the keynote has made me happy if for no reason other than schadenfreude. I wish they would unsub over this, but they won't, because they can't go two months without their catgirl nude mods.

• 2Worf
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 2 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm trying to remember what my go-to team was in FFX. I think I used Auron, Tidus, Yuna, Lulu, and Rikku the most. Kimhari was probably the one I used the least, which is probably part of the reason the new race reveal didn't really do anything for me. But I could see why people who liked Kimhari would be stoked for that.

Problem with Kimhari was that for most of the game his section of the sphere grid never made him that great of a team member. Wasn't until you could branch out into someone else's section that you could start to beef him up into someone worthwhile.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I mean if you didn't max out sphere grid for everyone, did you really play ffx as intended? :D

Kimhari had that whole noble savage thing going plus spear always made me hard ever since Kain. But yeah using Kimhari for actual combat was balls.

I miss a good FF game :/ I do believe I just convinced myself to start playing this one.

Last edited:

Cybsled

FFXIV is a great MMO and there are lots of awesome FF game call backs, everything from FF1 to FF:Tactics.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
The story in ShB sounds interesting. Just watched a video summarizing the whole plot. Any FFXIV lore gurus can comment if it's good or bad?

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I mean if you didn't max out sphere grid for everyone, did you really play ffx as intended? :D

Kimhari had that whole noble savage thing going plus spear always made me hard ever since Kain. But yeah using Kimhari for actual combat was balls.

I miss a good FF game :/ I do believe I just convinced myself to start playing this one.

Well of course had to get up to the clear spheres so you could replace every slot on the sphere grid with the maximum stat boosts. But throughout the normal game probably wasn't used as much and by then you have other favorites.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Oh yeah they've done tons of table-setting for that in the MSQ. There's a huge part of the post-ARR patch content that deals with the Source/first/13th worlds.

It supposedly goes even further back in the Crystal Tower raid cutscenes, but I havent finished keying for that.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
The MSQ is honestly just too slow-paced to keep my interest now. I used to listen to all the voice acting during cutscenes, but now I just skip as soon as I'm done reading.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
This live letter is pretty dull, but they're advertising a popular Japanese product in Japan so I'm not surprised that they chose this platform to announce the movie.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Honestly I could care less about the races in this game. The races dont really matter other than aesthetics. Stats wise they are pretty generic and bland. This is the first MMO I played that I played as a human type race. In EQ I was a dark elf and troll. In WoW I did blood elves, orcs and trolls. Even though I'm enjoying the hell out of FFXIV I just dont find the other races appeasing. I hate the lalafel or whatever you call them. Their voices makes me cringe. Only races I can probably play definitely are the dragon human hybrids and maybe the miquote(sp). Others dont interest me.

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
The story in ShB sounds interesting. Just watched a video summarizing the whole plot. Any FFXIV lore gurus can comment if it's good or bad?
I will answer this question on Tuesday after finishing the MSQ. If you want my thoughts on where we are RIGHT NOW, I'm a little on the fence because it's hard to comment on us going to where we're going in 5.0 without knowing why.

Big long rambling and speculation with MSQ spoilers (up to 4.5) below.

I mean, going to the First seemed increasingly likely once they previewed Amh Araeng and especially Il Mehg, because they just did not feel like areas where Garlemald had any influence, and Garlemald has a tighter control on Ilsabard compared to the rest of the Three Great Continents. In Amh Araeng's case, it was clear that the giant crystallized wave occurred after that tilted town was built, which kind of ruled out the possibility that the giant crystal was formed due to the Great Flood of the 5th Umbral Calamity.

I think a part of me was really hoping that rather than us going to the First, it would turn out that Minfilia instead had to Rejoin it to the Source, thereby triggering the Flood of Light on the Source and making that the impetus for needing to become the Bringer of Darkness. Thus far, I can only assume that Minfilia is the reason why we have to go to the First, because things aren't going as she expected when she left back in 3.4.

But as to whether the story is good or not, I can hardly say because I'm just not seeing how us going to the First is going to influence the vs. Garlemald part. There are still at least two zones left that are being kept under wraps, so it's possible that we'll still go to Ilsabard, but unless Gaius is a REALLY busy boy while we're hopping Shards, I don't see how they're going to sell it unless 5.1-5.5 is going to cover the actual struggle against Garlemald. With Solus zos Galvus supposedly being a major player in 5.0, this only increases my confusion about how the 5.0 MSQ is going to sell me on why we should bother going to the First and salvaging it.

Last edited:

Malkav

French Madman
I will answer this question on Tuesday after finishing the MSQ. If you want my thoughts on where we are RIGHT NOW, I'm a little on the fence because it's hard to comment on us going to where we're going in 5.0 without knowing why.

Big long rambling and speculation with MSQ spoilers (up to 4.5) below.

I mean, going to the First seemed increasingly likely once they previewed Amh Araeng and especially Il Mehg, because they just did not feel like areas where Garlemald had any influence, and Garlemald has a tighter control on Ilsabard compared to the rest of the Three Great Continents. In Amh Araeng's case, it was clear that the giant crystallized wave occurred after that tilted town was built, which kind of ruled out the possibility that the giant crystal was formed due to the Great Flood of the 5th Umbral Calamity.

I think a part of me was really hoping that rather than us going to the First, it would turn out that Minfilia instead had to Rejoin it to the Source, thereby triggering the Flood of Light on the Source and making that the impetus for needing to become the Bringer of Darkness. Thus far, I can only assume that Minfilia is the reason why we have to go to the First, because things aren't going as she expected when she left back in 3.4.

But as to whether the story is good or not, I can hardly say because I'm just not seeing how us going to the First is going to influence the vs. Garlemald part. There are still at least two zones left that are being kept under wraps, so it's possible that we'll still go to Ilsabard, but unless Gaius is a REALLY busy boy while we're hopping Shards, I don't see how they're going to sell it unless 5.1-5.5 is going to cover the actual struggle against Garlemald. With Solus zos Galvus supposedly being a major player in 5.0, this only increases my confusion about how the 5.0 MSQ is going to sell me on why we should bother going to the First and salvaging it.

I don't think we're gonna go there voluntarily. It's either we get called there without a choice, either we go there to save the other Scions that have been called there.

In the trailer, you see the Twelveswood burning and Urianger calling Yshtola Matoya. I'm expecting Matoya to be using Yshtola body. And she states she is gonna hold the line until someone comes back, possibly us. So yeah, the Empire does not seem to twiddling his thumbs at least.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The MSQ is honestly just too slow-paced to keep my interest now. I used to listen to all the voice acting during cutscenes, but now I just skip as soon as I'm done reading.

I mean I do that in every game pretty much. Once I'm done reading subs I'll just skip the text, rare times where I just stand there actually listening. Part of the annoyance with XIV dialogues is there's pauses inbetween every character talking, so it feels fairly slow if you just listen.

Important part is just to know what's going on, not necessarily listening to every line.

On the story bit, there's a bunch of reasons why going to the First might be useful. I'd say an important and obvious plot device would be

There's some ancient/mysterious weapon/being/thing that lets you kill Ascians easily, or at least easily enough. Have to remember that killing Ascians is still messy currently in the story, there was the whole spear thing from Moenbryda but that doesn't work so well without someone dying, and knowing we're going up against even more Ascians, including the father of the whole Empire, it makes sense we need to be prepared.

As to how that ties to the Empire story bit, I'd say it works out fairly well. Why does Varis act like a dickhead? Well he said why in the last story, he wants to Rejoin everything so humans become powerful enough to kick the Ascians asses. That's really his obsession and why he goes along with all the garbage, because bringing about the Rejoining would MAYBE let us win in the end, at a severe cost. So how do the Scions work against that? Well, if we remove the Ascians without needing to sacrifice everyone, that sounds pretty good yeah? If the Ascians are removed, maybe we can convince Varis to stop the war. At the very least if we can kill Solus, we can prove there is another way, and we can convince Varis to not kill most people to get there. If that involves killing Gods and what not, well, why not.

And so we set forth to the First, to find a way to slay Ascians without bringing about the Rejoining, and to actually defeat whatever gives us that power of Light, we need to become the Warrior of Darkness. It's a very standard "power up arc" anime thing. And that's also why the others are left to "hold the line", as best girl so eloquently says during the trailer. How Minfillia fits into that, I'd assume we need her to travel to the First, simply enough.

Still sounds pretty exciting, and could be different, but that's my interpretation so far. We'll know more next week obviously.

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
RE: Pyros Pyros
Eh, sure, I could buy it being a matter of "we killed Ascians real gud" as much as anything else, but iirc the First was more predisposed towards Light as the Thirteenth was Darkness, so it seems just as likely that the Ascians there were pussies by comparison.

Honestly, I'm more inclined to say that this is a matter of either a) keeping the First from falling to void because it would further endanger Hydaelyn in general; b) preserving Minfilia as a possible successor to Hydaelyn as the Will of Light. Hydaelyn has been frequently referred to as weak and frail by the Ascians, so it doesn't feel like a repetitous insult when non-Ascians and Hydaelyn herself are corroborating it.

That said, I can see us becoming the Bringer of Darkness and that enabling us to kick some Ascian asses because there will still be someone providing Darkness to the equation even after their removal. I do agree that Varis might react favorably to mortal hands solving the problem of Light vs Dark though, particularly when the Ascians get evicted by a trojan horse of sorts because they're not necessary if there's a Bringer of Darkness (kek).

Random aside: inb4 Alphinaud and Alisaie end up endowed with Light and Darkness respectively.

khorum

Murder Apologist
ugh log your creepy pedobait limsa lala alts off gilgamesh cunts. 30+ queue.

• 1Rustled
Reactions: 1 user

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
So with the first being super aligned to the light (to a damaging degree) and the thirteenth being so aligned to the dark that it's now where all the voidspawn come from, how does the source (where we live) compare? My assumption is that we're equally aligned with the dark and light, due to Ascian influence vs our influence, but it's being pushed more to light due to us winning so many battles recently.

Haven't certain worlds been assimilated by the source too? Like every time there's a calamity or something?