Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Argarth

On the verandah
So yeah, the callbacks to the Crystal Tower raid cutscenes are key to ShB. The expac's story goes back all the way to 2.1 lol.

Also, I went down the rabbit hole on those lore videos and found a documentary on the utter failure of FFXIV 1.0 and how Squeenix nutted up and pulled through it. It's by NOCLIP, one of the guys who were hosted and produced Giantbomb's old podcasts, and it's very well done with lots of history that folks who weren't around at the time may not have seen.

SE was near-broke and hemorrhaging cash and although it was a smart move in retrospect, it was more or less a hail mary at the time.

The other 2 parts are in links.

I remember the disaster of 1.0 (played on PC), and the massive difference that was ARR.

Watched all 3 videos; a fascinating look behind the scenes. Yoshi (and his team) really deserve all the accolades. Thank you for posting.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

Wrapped up MSQ and Hildibrand this morning.

MSQ: Kind of a meh finale compared with ARR and HW.
All we're really left with is some dude wants us to travel to the first shard, Varis might be possessed by something?, real Zenos is headed back to clean shit up. No clue what's up with Lyse or Yuguri...they got owned but no clue if dead or just badly wounded? never brought up again. Best part is we got to go back to Ishgard and all our elf fam wanted to make sure we were ok and Tataru giving us a badass looking outfit

Hildibrand: Unlocks a new trial (Yojimbo
lol j/k, it's Greg
) and a new Manderville dance. The Yojimbo trial also drops the Yojimbo chocobo barding.

I can't do the new super beast quest because I haven't maxed out Kojin or Annata. Guess I gotta get cracking on that lol

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I'm still having fun playing 4-6 years of catchup. Finally got to Idyllshire. SMN is 62, BLM and RDM are 60. No point in trying to get anything else caught up to bathe in that delicious MSQ xp since the quests are all 58 now. Just going to run it all up as SMN from here until 70. Learned about deep dungeons last weekend. Once I get all the SB MSQs done I will get as many jobs to 60 as I can before the buff wears off. That won't affect POTD and HOH, but will make leveling dungeons a lot less useful.

khorum

Murder Apologist
since you're still in the neighborhood, you should unlock the crystal tower raid and play through it. It figures prominently in the upcoming expansion.

• 1Like

Cybsled

Ya, they removed the fate requirements for it and they’re really easy hits for raid roulette.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
So I've been lowkey working on Excalibur Zeta recently, it's pretty easy these days.

BLU is kinda fun, but super limited. I do enjoy gathering the spells though.

khorum

Murder Apologist
It's ok. Miqote master race.

#notallmiqote

Catmen.png

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
So resubbed and did the story, was really short, expected a bit more than that tbh. Wasn't too bad but I think it would have helped a bit if we went a bit further in the questline, although I guess what happens after is going to kinda cascade into a lot of shit in a row and there wouldn't be a good point to stop before actually seeing the new areas and what not so makes sense.

Gonna farm some tome gear shit on tank/healer and then wait for may's live letter to make sure what Dancer uses. I warmed up a decent bit to the idea of leveling a DPS first again, it wasn't so bad in SB with Monk(and that was in a double DPS expansion, with the weeb wet dream and one of the fan favorites), plus the new Trust system might even make it better. Just need to confirm they use Bard gear, and they're not mixing it up with them having Ninja gear instead. Probably not, but not worth rushing since I'm still pretty behind on tank/healer scaevan gear anyway. Although I can always just buy the Scaevan gear with poetics at release anyway, but I want to keep poetics for upgrade items and weapons at first.

Since I'm about to move I probably will need to resub before launch again to really prepare fully for the expansion, atm just gonna do weeklies and shit and be done. I probably should catchup on Hildibrand and clear that trial thing before it's deserted too. I don't even remember the last time I did Hildi questline, I'm not sure I did any of the HW ones, and if I did I certainly haven't finished, so it's a lot of stuff. Also need to get that FFXV event stuff done.

Malkav

French Madman
I think they should really reshuffle physical DPS armor sets.

DRG and NIN having their own separate set is kinda messing loot distribution up.

I'd rather see :
- Maiming for DRG and SAM
- Striking for MNK and NIN (move NIN to STR instead of DEX)
- Aiming for BRD/MCH/DNC

It would be a bit more balanced.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
So I just resubbed, but finally made the move to PC (from ps4). Haven't really PC gamed since EQ2 days so I am a pretty big kb/m spaz atm with anything that isn't a FPS. Curious what you guys would consider an easy job for someone in my situation. Tried to relearn my 4.0 NIN but it just isn't happening with my noob reaction time.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
You can always use a controller for it on PC as well. No need to do kb/m if you prefer a controller.

Yeah, I may do that with my NIN just to catch up on the story. Wanna get better with m/kb though so I figured this would be a good opportunity.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Yeah, I may do that with my NIN just to catch up on the story. Wanna get better with m/kb though so I figured this would be a good opportunity.

Samurai, Red Mage, and Dragoon are the more forgiving DPS jobs when it comes to reaction speed and keeping track of stuff.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Samurai, Red Mage, and Dragoon are the more forgiving DPS jobs when it comes to reaction speed and keeping track of stuff.

I was thinking SAM, had fun the little bit I tried the job. IIRC they are top DPS though and don't need some parse nerd flaming me. Dragoon is a good idea though, one of the only classes I haven't tried.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
I was thinking SAM, had fun the little bit I tried the job. IIRC they are top DPS though and don't need some parse nerd flaming me. Dragoon is a good idea though, one of the only classes I haven't tried.

If you like adherence to the One True Rotation, go DRG.

If you like things to be relatively free-form and like a lot of second-by-second decision making, go SAM.

• 1Like

Cybsled

I think they should really reshuffle physical DPS armor sets.

DRG and NIN having their own separate set is kinda messing loot distribution up.

I'd rather see :
- Maiming for DRG and SAM
- Striking for MNK and NIN (move NIN to STR instead of DEX)
- Aiming for BRD/MCH/DNC

It would be a bit more balanced.

During fanfest, someone had asked if Dancer would be Dex like Ninja and Yoshi seemed to imply Ninja might not stay Dex. I wouldn't be surprised if melee DPS all go STR and all ranged DPS go Dex.