Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
There does seem a lot more women playing this than your average mmo. There were a lot of women in all the FC I've been in, and a bunch in the raiding statics and not just the stereotypical healer.

That said it's still a lot of guys and I wouldn't trust a catgirl being an actual girl at all.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

Housing contest ended and people are pissed since it looks like many of the winners ignored the rules and SE also ignored enforcing the rules (gpose for photos wasn't allowed and changing your house before the contest results were announced weren't allowed, but some winners did that anyways). They also awarded prizes to people who entered multiple times and they picked them multiple times, and they lumped NA and EU into the same winner bucket even though they had separate entries for NA and EU.

Ah well, at least I can go and change my house now.

Stave

Potato del Grande
Fuck anything this game has to do with housing. It's a super well done system, but their whole you lose your house thing after not subbing for a month is retarded as shit. Not to mention their lack of enough housing wards for everyone to have a house, coupled with the fact that they used to let one person buy multiple houses. Piss poor management has destroyed housing and it sounds like the contest is just more evidence of that. I love everything else about this game but the housing system is a joke.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Fuck anything this game has to do with housing. It's a super well done system, but their whole you lose your house thing after not subbing for a month is retarded as shit. Not to mention their lack of enough housing wards for everyone to have a house, coupled with the fact that they used to let one person buy multiple houses. Piss poor management has destroyed housing and it sounds like the contest is just more evidence of that. I love everything else about this game but the housing system is a joke.

1. A Non-instanced unique housing market like FFXIV's is the best way to do Player Housing.
2. Since housing is unique and has a cap, Housing demolition for inactive players is a must.
3. It's not 30 days before the house is demolished it's 45 days technically two entire consecutive billing cycles
4. Letting people buy and keep multiple houses was/is bad and they should of have them choose 1 and demolished the rest.

Cookie cutter instanced housing a thing that every other game does is worthless, They are dead lifeless personal zones that no one goes too or uses and it's stupid. I live in a subdivision in Mist and I see people in my neighborhood every day crafting and checking the market board. The neighborhood has a sense of community and life and I actually know the names of the two people who live next to our FC house.

My guild spent 12 hours "camping" Mist clicking on a plot of land waiting for it to come up, we took turns holding the money and waiting while the rest played or took breaks, Later on we got offered to take control of a day 1 FC that had a mansion in District 1 plot 2 and we refused because we love our little house too much.

MMO Turn over is so high that if someone could buy a house and leave it neglected and abandoned for 5 years no one would have a house so demolition is a must.

I agree with you that the multiple house thing, that's stupid.

Stave

Potato del Grande
1. A Non-instanced unique housing market like FFXIV's is the best way to do Player Housing.
2. Since housing is unique and has a cap, Housing demolition for inactive players is a must.
3. It's not 30 days before the house is demolished it's 45 days technically two entire consecutive billing cycles
4. Letting people buy and keep multiple houses was/is bad and they should of have them choose 1 and demolished the rest.

Cookie cutter instanced housing a thing that every other game does is worthless, They are dead lifeless personal zones that no one goes too or uses and it's stupid. I live in a subdivision in Mist and I see people in my neighborhood every day crafting and checking the market board. The neighborhood has a sense of community and life and I actually know the names of the two people who live next to our FC house.

My guild spent 12 hours "camping" Mist clicking on a plot of land waiting for it to come up, we took turns holding the money and waiting while the rest played or took breaks, Later on we got offered to take control of a day 1 FC that had a mansion in District 1 plot 2 and we refused because we love our little house too much.

MMO Turn over is so high that if someone could buy a house and leave it neglected and abandoned for 5 years no one would have a house so demolition is a must.

I agree with you that the multiple house thing, that's stupid.

Oh don't get me wrong, the housing system is amazing and non instanced housing is awesome and every MMO should have it. The issue with me has always been the management of it. I play on Gilga, which is super high pop. From ARR to Stormblood there were no house plots available. People would sell them (relinquish their plots) for like 20 million or some stupid amount. The day they did finally add more housing wards, I knew multiple people that got on early and bought multiple plots. They were all bought within minutes. That was shit management letting people buy more than one. I think they fixed that finally but not sure.

Eventually during HW, I was able to pay someone like 15m to relinquish a small plot, and I got a house and was so happy. I got burnt out on FFXIV after a few months, so went to another MMO for a bit. I came back and the fucking thing was gone. I knew it would happen but it still pissed me off. Relinquishing is a good bandaid, because like you said no one should have a house for 5 years if it's keeping a new player from getting one. But I also think that 45 days is too little. At least on this forum, how many of us hop MMO to MMO every few months. Going 2 months without playing is pretty common I think. It would be nice if they gave us 6 months or something. But realistically here, they should just have more wards.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Oh don't get me wrong, the housing system is amazing and non instanced housing is awesome and every MMO should have it. The issue with me has always been the management of it. I play on Gilga, which is super high pop. From ARR to Stormblood there were no house plots available. People would sell them (relinquish their plots) for like 20 million or some stupid amount. The day they did finally add more housing wards, I knew multiple people that got on early and bought multiple plots. They were all bought within minutes. That was shit management letting people buy more than one. I think they fixed that finally but not sure.

Eventually during HW, I was able to pay someone like 15m to relinquish a small plot, and I got a house and was so happy. I got burnt out on FFXIV after a few months, so went to another MMO for a bit. I came back and the fucking thing was gone. I knew it would happen but it still pissed me off. Relinquishing is a good bandaid, because like you said no one should have a house for 5 years if it's keeping a new player from getting one. But I also think that 45 days is too little. At least on this forum, how many of us hop MMO to MMO every few months. Going 2 months without playing is pretty common I think. It would be nice if they gave us 6 months or something. But realistically here, they should just have more wards.

I was able to purchase a small plot during my first 30 days of playing, in Mist with a ocean view on the same server as you that is super populated. In fact, if i had the money I could of purchased a house in Lavender Beds and The Goblet as well. I've heard that smalls are the most in demand.

Houses should be for active players, if you want to be inactive suck it up and pay $12 for the right to keep a house.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Large are the most in demand from my experience, because there's so few plots, and any even casual crafter will get enough money to buy one in a month or two of play while every FC wants a large too. Smalls everyone can buy so on some servers with a large pop it can be an issue I guess, but on medium/high pop there's usually some small plots always open especially with the 45d demolition time, but finding a medium or a large is a miracle.

I'd just buy a 50m medium appartement though if there were any, I don't mind instanced shit and having a place to go to to craft in piece with a different music than usual and not crafting noises from 50000other people or lalas spamming emotes is nice enough. I feel they should sell larger appartements but at a huge premium, since they don't get demolished, so not everyone just grabs one like the current small appartments. As it is however no way I'm spending money on a house when I mostly play this game by subbing 1month every now and then. Not that I care too much about housing in general though, crafting all the stuff to put in them is a pain in the ass.

Anyway, 3weeks before next expansion announcement, hype has been building over time I'm excited. Kinda sucks the first fanfest is usually barebones as fuck in terms of content but hopefully YoshiP wears a T-shit that's obvious enough for the class hint. I'll probably resub a month for 4.5 and start building some tomes and progress the stupid doman reconstruction shit so I can finish before 5.0 when I resub then.

Stave

Potato del Grande
I was able to purchase a small plot during my first 30 days of playing, in Mist with a ocean view on the same server as you that is super populated. In fact, if i had the money I could of purchased a house in Lavender Beds and The Goblet as well. I've heard that smalls are the most in demand.

Houses should be for active players, if you want to be inactive suck it up and pay $12 for the right to keep a house.

Interesting. I haven't played in like 6 months, been looking at coming back due to BFA being a big fat pile of shit. They must have changed something else if houses are that available. Did you start fairly recently? And was it difficult to get the plot, like did it come off of demolition and you snagged it, or was it just available?

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Interesting. I haven't played in like 6 months, been looking at coming back due to BFA being a big fat pile of shit. They must have changed something else if houses are that available. Did you start fairly recently? And was it difficult to get the plot, like did it come off of demolition and you snagged it, or was it just available?

I've been playing for four months now. Got our FC house at the end of the first month, We pooled our gil to afford a small house and we saw a demolished plot in a Mist subdivision we sat in front of it for 6 or 7 hours until someone who already had a house transferred over to it. We found another house in another subdivision and camped on that one for another 6 or so hours and when it came available we bought it.

They are not "Available" they get purchased almost instantly but houses do come on the market due to demolision and if you want to spend a day staring at a market board you can get one. My years of Everquest made this simple for me. They show houses that are demolished and are going to become available in the housing window so you know exactly what each town has, Check every day and you will find something.

Stave

Potato del Grande
I've been playing for four months now. Got our FC house at the end of the first month, We pooled our gil to afford a small house and we saw a demolished plot in a Mist subdivision we sat in front of it for 6 or 7 hours until someone who already had a house transferred over to it. We found another house in another subdivision and camped on that one for another 6 or so hours and when it came available we bought it.

They are not "Available" they get purchased almost instantly but houses do come on the market due to demolision and if you want to spend a day staring at a market board you can get one. My years of Everquest made this simple for me. They show houses that are demolished and are going to become available in the housing window so you know exactly what each town has, Check every day and you will find something.

Ah, that's what I figured. I honestly don't have the patience to camp out for a house that I will lose anyways if I don't sub for 2 months. I would love to do the whole housing part of the game but it's just not worth it for me for the wait, which sucks because it feels like I'm denied a large part of the game then.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Ah, that's what I figured. I honestly don't have the patience to camp out for a house that I will lose anyways if I don't sub for 2 months. I would love to do the whole housing part of the game but it's just not worth it for me for the wait, which sucks because it feels like I'm denied a large part of the game then.

Join a FC and just live in their house. If you are not annoying you can join ours and buy a room.

Cybsled

FYI they have frozen house demos because of the FL hurricane. No eta on when they will remove it, but usually they keep it that way for a couple months.

On my server, Malboro, there are dozens of open small plots, even in Shirogane.

Stave

Potato del Grande
Join a FC and just live in their house. If you are not annoying you can join ours and buy a room.

I'm in a FC, or was at least. I have an apartment actually so that works. I just can't grow crops and shit there, and it is tiny as fuck.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
There's 3 factors that made housing a bunch better.

First as mentionned, they reduced the demolition to 45days, so people lose their shit as soon as they let their subs lapse basically.
Second, they just added some houses at some point, although it might have been before you left, but there's quite a lot of housing areas nowadays with SB release+additional wards in all existing areas.
Third, they ran extensive server population rebalancing solutions and are still running them, by giving bonuses to people making chars on lower pop servers and even giving free server transfers off overpopulated servers and/or towards new(EU only) and underpopulated servers. The result is while some servers still have a higher pop, it isn't nearly as uneven as it used to be and the high pop servers aren't even that full anymore(as in you can actually make chars there now more often and such). So these servers have more housing(the low pop servers have less though as a result, and a couple of low pop servers are in a kinda fucky situation because of people owning like 15houses they bought when the servers were empty, but it's not really a large scale issue).

Cybsled

Ya, there are literally entire goblet subdivisions that are virtual ghost towns outside the large and mediums and maybe 1-4 smalls.

The patch that added Shirogane and then doubled all the available plots in all areas really added a ton of new housing options

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yeah, had to be that boost to the number of housing zones that did it; I was still there when Shirogane released - did the whole stay up until 4AM thing or whatever, and the surge of people logging on was so bad by the time I beat the queue of only like 100~ish people, every-single-plot in every original Shirogane housing zone was just gone, man.

I just broke down and got an apartment; blew my housing funds in a matter of weeks.

Cybsled

Ya, the housing crush was real. I made like 30+ million gil selling housing stuff when Shirogane launched. When the 2nd patch happened that doubled all the available plots, the demand for furniture wasn't as big and looking at the available plots, easy to guess why: on Malboro anyways, there wasn't enough demand from the population.

No joke, there was still mansion plots available in the evening on the server still in some zones and mediums remained available in some spots for about 2 weeks after that during that big housing patch.